What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

Here is one of Hamilton, Ontario's great blues musicians - Richard Newell (aka King Biscuit Boy), doing a song called "Hoy Hoy Hoy". This is from a German TV program broadcast in December, 1971. The backing group is the Birmingham band Idle Race (Jeff Lynne was in that band in the 60s).

I have just noticed harvey's posting of Allen Toussaint's "Last Train" above (post #5322).

Here is what Hamilton's King Biscuit Boy (Richard Newell) sounds like when filtered through the production work of Allen Toussaint. The song is called "Mean Old Lady", recorded in 1974.

Edited by Hamilton Saint

Some promising albums coming soon.:D This is another, the second album from Nadine Shah...

Ah nice, like her.

Just been listening to the Sleaford Mods live. Bloody brilliant, lots of anger. Ill never for the life of me understand why The Joiners is considered such a good venue though Its a freaking dump.

I've never been to The Joiners m'self, but aren't all the best venues dumps?

Ah nice, like her.

I've never been to The Joiners m'self, but aren't all the best venues dumps?

The Wedgewood Rooms Are good, The Fat Fox Southsea, Railway Winchester, Talking Heads Portswood, Engine Rooms, The Brook Portswood. The Joiners, poor bar service,no aircon,ridiculous L-shaped viewing area, even the area walking by the bar is about 3 ft wide and is a journey and and a half.

The Wedgewood Rooms Are good, The Fat Fox Southsea, Railway Winchester, Talking Heads Portswood, Engine Rooms, The Brook Portswood. The Joiners, poor bar service,no aircon,ridiculous L-shaped viewing area, even the area walking by the bar is about 3 ft wide and is a journey and and a half.

Ah ok, I see what you mean now. Again, haven't been to any of those places either so can't compare.

Still mourn the loss of the Cockpit in Leeds, and the Astoria. They were both proper dumps, but glorious in their own crappy ways. Good memories of some fun gigs there.

All the Joiners has is the name and the history. They've done nothing to it in years, although that is likely down to a lack of cash.

The beer is absolutely foul, the rooms are a stupid shape and it gets impossibly crowded for the sold out gigs.

Sadly they've painted over my favourite graffiti which said "657 crew" and underneath someone had written "average attendance at Fratton Park". I'm easily pleased but this made me laugh every time I went for a slash for about 10 years.