What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

Meh. I've gone off them with this album. Too overproduced for my liking. They seem to have crawled up their own backsides.

They f.ucking rocked when I saw them at Brixton Academy in 2007 though. The crowd were singing No Cars Go all the way back to the tube station.

Seems to be a bit Marmite, does Refkletor. I really liked it. It's got all the things I love about them. It's big, bold, anthemic, uplifting and out there.

They still smashed Glasto :)

Gram Parsons: key figure in American country rock. Played with The Byrds (he was the inspirational core of their LP Sweetheart of the Rodeo) and The Flying Burrito Brothers. Then he recorded two superb LPs with Emmylou Harris: GP (1973) and Grievous Angel (1974). He died in September 1973. He was a friend of Keith Richards - a big influence on the Stones flirtation with country rock in the late 60s/early 70s.

Here he is - with Emmylou Harris: "Hickory Wind".

Got tickets to see Karen O at Bush Hall this morning. Very excited, she's such a great performer and it's a great little venue.

Liking the sound of her solo stuff, hoping she'll chuck i a couple of YYY's tracks for good measure.

She's one of the most charismatic front persons I've seen. Caught them in Belfast off the back of their third album.

I really like the YYYs, but Fever To Tell is a masterpiece - don't think they ever put out a consistently good record since.

She's one of the most charismatic front persons I've seen. Caught them in Belfast off the back of their third album.

I really like the YYYs, but Fever To Tell is a masterpiece - don't think they ever put out a consistently good record since.

Fever To Tell is an absolute stonker. I agree it's their best. I'm a big fan of It's Blitz too.

Totally agree on her, she's just amazing. Her doing Maps moves me close to tears everytime I see them. Really looking forward to this one.

Fever To Tell is an absolute stonker. I agree it's their best. I'm a big fan of It's Blitz too.

Totally agree on her, she's just amazing. Her doing Maps moves me close to tears everytime I see them. Really looking forward to this one.

I really liked the idiosyncratic nature of Fever To Tell. All or nothing, big sounds and screeches and stuff like Maps. Like the bonus track on it too.

If you like FTT, should prob check out Sleater Kinney's The Woods, if you haven't already. It's got a touch of the unhinged about it.

Storming song, but really lifts off at the 2:25 mark.

I really liked the idiosyncratic nature of Fever To Tell. All or nothing, big sounds and screeches and stuff like Maps. Like the bonus track on it too.

If you like FTT, should prob check out Sleater Kinney's The Woods, if you haven't already. It's got a touch of the unhinged about it.

Storming song, but really lifts off at the 2:25 mark.

Agreed about Sleater-Kinney. The Woods was probably one of my most listened to record of 2005 - what a year for music that was.

Yeah, it really is a stormer; so much going on for a three piece. Very much an acquired taste though, took ages to click.

I really love the order-to-disorder aspect of it, this track perhaps illustrating it best.

[video=youtube_share;qOM107PIxV8]

Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians. The first LP recording of this was released in 1978 by ECM. It's a piece built on a cycle of 11 chords. Mesmerising. It's quite a different experience, though, watching it on video, than listening to an audio only version.

The original 1978 recording included the composer (Reich) in the ensemble. There are now five or six commercial recordings of the piece available.

Dunno if I've posted this before, but I've got it on repeat at the moment. So excited for the new album, the tracks are sounding very Turn On The Bright Lights. Which is exciting, bored of waiting til February for their Roundhouse gig.

[video=youtube;-u6DvRyyKGU]

They need to come back here again, awesome live. It was all over far too quickly though, although according to Setlist.com, we got more songs than other places.

I'm more of a Schubert man myself you understand, but I showed this 60's rubbish to the kids the other day - and they loved it of course.

Seeing two little kids copy this silly dance, flapping their 'wings' and pecking away with their imaginary 'beaks' with all the unrestrained love of fun that is childhood, is one of the funniest things I've seen for a long time.

If you have little ones of your own then try it yourself - you know it makes sense!

Iron Maiden's Powerslave is 30 today. Giving that another listen. Some definite filler on there, but also, some genuine Maiden classics.

Aces High / Two Minutes to Midnight / Powerslave / Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Bloody hell! 30 years! I remember the gig at the Gaumont for that tour.

Would so love to see YYYs live...

I've seen YYYs live 3 times and I don't even like them that much - they just seemed to be at every festival 6/7 years ago! Cheating Hearts is a great tune though.

Here's one to crank up to 11, I forgot just how good Rage were. Wish they'd come and do some more gigs, their set at Reading in 2008 was mindblowing.

Would so love to see YYYs live...

I'd heartily recommend them, a really good live act. As I said above, Karen-O is an absolute first rate performer. Just ignore Mikey.

I've seen YYYs live 3 times and I don't even like them that much - they just seemed to be at every festival 6/7 years ago! Cheating Hearts is a great tune though.

Here's one to crank up to 11, I forgot just how good Rage were. Wish they'd come and do some more gigs, their set at Reading in 2008 was mindblowing.

I could never get on board with RATM. In theory they should be everything I love, all the ingredients are there. Something just never clicked.

I'd heartily recommend them, a really good live act. As I said above, Karen-O is an absolute first rate performer. Just ignore Mikey.

I could never get on board with RATM. In theory they should be everything I love, all the ingredients are there. Something just never clicked.

Babysat a 10 yr old lad once and drove him home with RATM blaring out. When I dropped him off he was still yelling: "F*ck you I won't do what you tell me!"

So proud.

The terrible band I was in at school did an awful cover of Killing In The Name Of which was even further undermined by our singer being a Jehovah's Witness and refusing to swear during the chorus.

Anyway, I'm currently enjoying the reissue of Deathconciousness by Have A Nice Life. Lo-fi, shoegazer, post-post at it's best.

[video=youtube;fS26orQu-js]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS26orQu-js

Babysat a 10 yr old lad once and drove him home with RATM blaring out. When I dropped him off he was still yelling: "F*ck you I won't do what you tell me!"

So proud.

Rage Against The Machine were the first really serious band I'd heard. I have to admit, part of the initial fascination was having an album that would shock my normally unshockable mother. It worked for a few days, but she was happily singing "F**k you I won't do what you tell me" in the kitchen thereafter. Teenage rebellion ended right there and then.

Their first album pretty much lays it all on the line. The governments you know are corrupt, true advocates for change are assassinated and almost everything you've been taught is potential shít. Know your enemy.

Everything on it is more relevant 20 years later.

I have to admit, part of the initial fascination was having an album that would shock my normally unshockable mother. It worked for a few days, but she was happily singing "F**k you I won't do what you tell me" in the kitchen thereafter. Teenage rebellion ended right there and then.

Tried this with Limp Bizkit & Marshall Mathers LP.

Slightly negated by the fact that Mother had to buy both of them for 11 year old KRG. Negated further by Mother then buying me tickets to see Limp Bizkit at Wembley for my 12th Birthday. She's a good egg that one.

FAO KRG, I stumbled across this tonight and have listened to it about 15 times on repeat:

Also, my Dad revealed the other day that he works with someone who is bessie mates with Jeremy Gara and could've blagged backstage for Hyde Park if i'd asked. F*ck sake.

:mcinnes:

Always felt this was an underrated track in their catalogue.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

:mcinnes:

Always felt this was an underrated track in their catalogue.

I actually think MBIAC and Antichrist Television Blues are the two strongest songs on Neon Bible. There's some great songs on there, but they're very powerful and well written.

That said, there's no way I could handle meeting them. I'd be an utter Wayne's World style shambles.

You may be cooler than I, but I certainly would not be able to hold it together.

Nope, I would be a complete mess as well. Don't worry. I think I would have to be heavily drunk to cope, although I think I would probably end up vomiting on one of them from nerves.