Swedish saints

Think I may have met you some years back when saints were over there. Originally from Romsey now live just outside Bergen. Moved over for a woman, as most of us probably did. I haven't been to Stockholm, but I lived in Gøteborg for a short while and I have to say it's one of the few cities I've been to that I'd be happy to live in.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi majestic. I rememberd that wet day in the forest. A fun day.

Norway. Jep, We had a few drinks at the Dubliners before the Gais game. My parents now live in Romsey , Wellow.

Planning for à trip in okt/nov and xmas and spring.

ISkål gubbar

remember Michael Svensson's mother in law singing ' we got brett ormerod' in the road after the game.

:o

any sweden based saints over for the Boro game let me know, we are staying in london for 4 days , training it down on the sat, skål!

25 years + over here..Is this a record ?..

Many great memories of the Paine, Sydenham, Ron Davies period, and lots of exciting games after the first promotion 1966, and later right through the McMenemy era.

Had lots of fun and light-hearted banter with a great bunch of fellas for several decades as we stood under the West Stand

I first visited Sweden in the early 1980's ....and then eventually moved here to marry Eva. Three children later I'm still here.

Was born in So'ton ... grew up in Shirley, and later lived in Millbrook till I moved to Stockholm.

Edited by david in sweden

25 years + over here..Is this a record ?..

Many great memories of the Paine, Sydenham, Ron Davies period, and lots of exciting games after the first promotion 1966, and later right through the McMenemy era.

Had lots of fun and light-hearted banter with a great bunch of fellas for several decades as we stood under the West Stand

I first visited Sweden in the early 1980's ....and then eventually moved here to marry Eva. Three children later I'm still here.

Was born in So'ton ... grew up in Shirley, and later lived in Millbrook till I moved to Stockholm.

Are your kids saints fans David? I'm working on it with my 6 year old , without success so far.

Am planning to take him to st marys when he's 8 , maybe he will be a bandy freak instead :cry:

BTW Saints v Derby is apparently sceduled to be shown on tv4 sport in 3 weeks

Are your kids saints fans David? I'm working on it with my 6 year old , without success so far.

Am planning to take him to st marys when he's 8 , maybe he will be a bandy freak instead :cry:

BTW Saints v Derby is apparently sceduled to be shown on tv4 sport in 3 weeks

well " the kids " are grown up now, and all have gone through Gymnasium.

I've been to a couple of games at SMS with the eldest, and so they are all aware and supportive, though it was more apparant a few years back when we had Swedish players at the club....

When one of them visits So'ton... I get a Saints gift of some sort; cup, book etc when they come back,

and when we watch internationals on TV they cheer for England ..even did so when we played against Sweden.

Guess I'm satisfied with that. If you want to get your boy interested, get a DVD with some games on .. maybe last seasons matches... or that great MLT DVD . That'll get him hooked if anything does, but awareness in a 6 year old isn't what you think it is. They do not always comprehend the difference between cartoon characters and real people, and football with all its rules and regulations are impossible to understand...my wife has a very good educational background but still doesn't understand the offside rule..or always comprehend which way we are kicking ..(but then again we've have defenders in the past who had the same problem).

If you watch a game on TV / DVD with him, cheer loudly when your team scores.. thats enough!

Edited by david in sweden

well " the kids " are grown up now, and all have gone through Gymnasium.

I've been to a couple of games at SMS with the eldest, and so they are all aware and supportive, though it was more apparant a few years back when we had Swedish players at the club....

When one of them visits So'ton... I get a Saints gift of some sort; cup, book etc when they come back,

and when we watch internationals on TV they cheer for England ..even did so when we played against Sweden.

Guess I'm satisfied with that. If you want to get your boy interested, get a DVD with some games on .. maybe last seasons matches... or that great MLT DVD . That'll get him hooked if anything does, but awareness in a 6 year old isn't what you think it is. They do not always comprehend the difference between cartoon characters and real people, and football with all its rules and regulations are impossible to understand...my wife has a very good educational background but still doesn't understand the offside rule..or always comprehend which way we are kicking ..(but then again we've have defenders in the past who had the same problem).

If you watch a game on TV / DVD with him, cheer loudly when your team scores.. thats enough!

Tried the DVD's and i always bring the house down when we score, oh well still time he's only 6.

Hej gubbar

I got my son into the saints when he was around 7 yrs. Took him to a few games at St.Marys and we were so lucky that they were always here in Gothenburg for their pre-seasons , back then , and he got to meet all the players , photos of him and his favourites (BT) and a good collection of autographs. Now he is a saint for life! Brilliant and brave , when all around the classroom they're supporting Arse, Utd, and Barcelona. He passionately hates United :)

So all saints out there, dont give up, and lets get the next generation going.

As for supporting England or Sweden, thats a tricky one, but i think England just win it. Mainly, by having a proper fan culture around the team. The World cup trip in S.Africa last summer helped convince him.

She's an ace lady. She told me how she was on holiday in Thailand and the waiter was a POmpey fan. She told him about Michael, and called the waiter a skate.:lol:

Interesting family comment about Michael Svensson.

My wife's aunt was a local school teacher in Småland (now retíred), who had a class when Michael Svensson as a pupil.

She remembered him as a friendly / outgoing lad who was a good " stödkamrat " to a boy in the class who had learning difficulties.... said he was a helpful and loyal lad. Nice comments, I thought !

Interesting family comment about Michael Svensson.

My wife's aunt was a local school teacher in Småland (now retíred), who had a class when Michael Svensson as a pupil.

She remembered him as a friendly / outgoing lad who was a good " stödkamrat " to a boy in the class who had learning difficulties.... said he was a helpful and loyal lad. Nice comments, I thought !

I got to know Michael, Terese and Lukas fairly well over the 3 years prior to him going back to Sweden in December 09. Nice family.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess I'm the odd one out since I seem to be the only one without any kind of connection to the city of Southampton. I grew up in the Netherlands and watching MOTD as a teenager MLT was my idol so I started supporting Saints. A few years ago I moved to Valbo just outside Gävle. I don't have to worry about my son supporting Saints just yet, he's only 1,5 so there's some time left.

Btw Majestic, the worst sport your son could become a fan of is not bandy, its the indoor version. I'm not sure you can call innebandy a sport anyway, its just something you do during PE.

Well, I guess I'm the odd one out since I seem to be the only one without any kind of connection to the city of Southampton. I grew up in the Netherlands and watching MOTD as a teenager MLT was my idol so I started supporting Saints. A few years ago I moved to Valbo just outside Gävle. I don't have to worry about my son supporting Saints just yet, he's only 1,5 so there's some time left.

Btw Majestic, the worst sport your son could become a fan of is not bandy, its the indoor version.

I'm not sure you can call innebandy a sport anyway, its just something you do during PE.

even stranger...in Sweden it's called... FLOOR BALL ! (?)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been to a few of these in Stockholm through the years. Not too many good games have i seen.

I will certainly take the trip up from Gothenburg even though i hate friendlies. The match is a special event to open their new national stadium.

Lets hope we can keep this new trend up - were unbeaten against sweden since......well , several days now. We hadn't beaten sweden since 1968 FFS.

Dan in Yorkshire - Donny is nearly a home game for you this weekend. You going?

Yea Il be there. Living up here works in my favour for games like Donny, took me an age to get to Bristol and back last week though!

Been to a few of these in Stockholm through the years. Not too many good games have i seen.

I will certainly take the trip up from Gothenburg even though i hate friendlies. The match is a special event to open their new national stadium.

Lets hope we can keep this new trend up - were unbeaten against sweden since......well , several days now. We hadn't beaten sweden since 1968 FFS.

But now we can say the swedes have'nt beaten us since 2004! which brings me to your point about hating friendlies, me too was at nya ullevi in 2004 and it was probably one of the worst games i've seen. still, will be there in november, any swedish based saints up for a meet and a stor stark eller åtta?

Majestic , i was also at Ullevi in 2004. Blagged my way into the England fans section.

****e game , ****e result.

Lets hope they're no longer our bogey side since we broke the jinx last month. Gonna see how it goes this summer down in

The Ukraine.

That's a huge game for us ex-pats over here.

Majestic , i was also at Ullevi in 2004. Blagged my way into the England fans section.

****e game , ****e result.

Lets hope they're no longer our bogey side since we broke the jinx last month. Gonna see how it goes this summer down in

The Ukraine.

That's a huge game for us ex-pats over here.

I was sat with the swedes, infact quite a few england were! mainly ex pats i imagine.Met an ex pat from shaftsbury who knew 2 saints lads i knew from there, small world.If you got any ideas regarding getting tickets for the England section next time can you let me know? cheers

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
My wife is from trelleborg and lives with me in chandlers ford. Our son will definitely be a saints fan.:D He is only just 2 so doesn't quite understand yet.

My wife is from malmö and we aren't living a million miles from trelleborg. If you ever move here you will have to master ' skånske' good luck with that, trust me it's hard!

My wife is from malmö and we aren't living a million miles from trelleborg. If you ever move here you will have to master ' skånske' good luck with that, trust me it's hard!

I know I still get stuck at 7 when counting to 10.

My son is learning both now and will hopefully master it.

Edited by stev2001

I know I still get stuck at 7 when counting to 10.

My son is learning both now and will hopefully master it.

7- just say fwoo :) or shoe if you are from northern sweden

you been here? thinking of moving over? i moved here in 2000 and have never regretted it.

my kids are 2 and 7 and speak both , though my 2 year old doesn't say much at all yet.

It's fascinating how kids latch on to 2 languages so easily!

7- just say fwoo :) or shoe if you are from northern sweden

you been here? thinking of moving over? i moved here in 2000 and have never regretted it.

my kids are 2 and 7 and speak both , though my 2 year old doesn't say much at all yet.

It's fascinating how kids latch on to 2 languages so easily!

I've been over loads and I think if it was up to my wife we'd be over there now but I have a good job here and would be hard to leave right now. Maybe in 2 or 3 years?? I'm over again in August so might make a bit more of an effort to learn the language.

"swooh"

been here over twenty years. Still get hassled for my dialect. But its all part of the deal. Most peeps will still want to talk to yer as soon as they realise or hear that you hava a british dialect to your swedish. Most guys just wanna talk football while the women love to talk to you. Sorted.

Fanatstic country with **** weather. Just about sums it up.

• 1 month later...

Ive lived here and waited for this result for over twenty years. Fan Vad Skönt!

We had loads of swedish mates around for the evening. Enjoyed the whole evening.

Got some verbals when they scored two quickies , and to be honest i was not too confident then.

At 3-2 i was back to being the big mouthy bugger i normally am. Loved it.

To even it out, i was very generous with my malt whisky after the game.

Been wearing my England top everywhere all weekend. That and one huge hangover.

Cant stop smiling!

You can't take anything from either Aftonbladet or Expressen seriously, they are worse then the Daily Mail.... Proper newspapers like Svd and DN have been very critical of this Swedish team and especially their defending.

The only reason I'll be closely following the rest of the tournament is for the sake of my team in drömelvan.