Jimmy Savile

sperm_john

The police gather evidence and then take what they have (or what they think they have) to the CPS to see if they have enough for a possible conviction, If people come forward and make a statement they (the police) have to treat it seriously. If those statements are false or there is little to back them up a case could well be dropped. I agree that suspects should not be named until charged though. Just because a case is dropped, it doesn't mean to say that the accusation is false. It could be. It could also be that the CPS feel there isn't enough firm evidence to take the matter to court and get a possible conviction. There has to be a good chance of conviction and it has to be in the public interest to take a matter to court.

• 1 month later...

Think we were having a conversation about D-Notices. I was making some wild claims that they were issued to shut people up, which would be a huge abuse of their powers, which are supposed to be invoked only for national security purposes.

The Guardian is now reporting instances of this too.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/22/media-gagged-westminster-child-abuse-ring

Terrible for the kids involved. They had no chance.

Good website that. I read this piece the other day.

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5409/operation-midland-investigates-tory-mp-over-boy-s-murder

There was also a story on popbitch a while back about a well to do chap who let a cabinet minister stay at his house in the 70's. As he was going to bed he heard some screams, ran down the hallway, opened the bedroom door of his young son and found the MP hanging out the back of him. He immediately rang the police. They turned up, recognised the MP and phoned upstairs for advice on how to proceed. They were told to quietly withdraw from the scene and never mention it again.

Sickening.

• 3 months later...
Looks like Cliff's in big trouble as well...

Viewed in the light of the latest Savile revelations – regarding certain people being aware of his vile activities during his career – I find myself wondering whether there is more to Cliff Richard's records not being played by certain DJs and radio stations, other than the fact that they were, generally speaking, crap.

You've spent time working in the media.

Ever hear any whispers yourself?

No I didn't; nor did I work anywhere remotely close to that creep. It wasn't until Louis Theroux's profile of him that I got a glimpse of the malevolence behind the mask. Unfortunately I know all too well, though, the culture at the BBC that made this possible. As an institution it is a haven for the entitled white middle class, and it has (statistically) become ever more dominated by a self-perpetuating, self-congratulating Oxbridge-selected elite of top-level managers. These managers, where they manage relationships between 'talent' (like Savile) and production staff and crews, have taken it upon themselves to ruthlessly suppress and stigmatise staff concerns about talent - to the point of subjecting whistleblowers to campaigns of sustained and debilitating intimidation.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that many at the BBC reported that they knew about Savile or were in the loop on some of the more lurid rumours about him. But I can't in good conscience accuse them of failing to speak out, because I know in hindsight that many tried to raise all kinds of red flags. When raising concerns like this meant you're given a good career-stalling kicking as a result, you tend to understand how it could have happened.

I wouldn't describe Savile as the tip of the iceberg - he WAS the iceberg. But I would say that the way the BBC has declined into an isolated, remote, failed middle-class state, where the most valuable managerial currency is the power to bully and intimidate, is at the root of why Savile got away with it.

I wouldn't describe Savile as the tip of the iceberg - he WAS the iceberg. But I would say that the way the BBC has declined into an isolated, remote, failed middle-class state, where the most valuable managerial currency is the power to bully and intimidate, is at the root of why Savile got away with it.

That's fair enough in the context of the BBC, but Savile wasn't just an entertainer. Knight of the realm, papal knight and cleared to mingle with monarchs and prime ministers alike - during the panic of the Cold War where one would assume that security vetting was important. It's difficult to see Savile as the iceberg in that context, particularly when you've got former Prime Ministers and Home Secretaries amongst those named as paedophiles.

You've spent time working in the media.

Ever hear any whispers yourself?

The gf is a doctor, and until she moved down here last year worked at LGI quite a lot (Drs move around quite a bit during training, F1 & F2). She says that the people who were around at the time and still there all knew what was going on. Seems everyone did, there was little will to do anything about it. Those who tried to speak out were p much told to STFU, and nurses it seems were actively discouraged from speaking out or trying to protect people they suspected were or could soon be victims.

This was all muddied further by Saville fundraising, and I think personally donating (might be wrong on the personal donations) large sums to the hospital. There was even a Jimmy Saville fund at Leeds Uni Medical Department for the Students to help them carry out research.

The thing that still astounds me is that senior people just let it go, they chose ratings or donations over doing the right thing.

While hospitals and the BBC are big organisations, it was individuals in powerful positions who decided to protect a child rapist.

How could you do that and sleep at night?

What did you do at work today?

Oh, just the usual, a bit of admin, had a few meetings, oh and I silenced a 12-year-old cancer victim who was raped in her hospital bed while under my care - but on the plus side, we should get the proceeds from a fun run!

That's fair enough in the context of the BBC, but Savile wasn't just an entertainer. Knight of the realm, papal knight and cleared to mingle with monarchs and prime ministers alike - during the panic of the Cold War where one would assume that security vetting was important. It's difficult to see Savile as the iceberg in that context, particularly when you've got former Prime Ministers and Home Secretaries amongst those named as paedophiles.

Not a single one of those other things would have been possible for Savile without the persona he created at the BBC, and which was fostered and protected by the BBC. His calling card was that he was the BBC-certified fix-it for all things good and charitable (and, in Thatcherite terms, non-dependent on public finance. He became a symbol of the supposed power of private good to displace or support public provision. Hence his many elevations under Thatcher.) Without the BBC he'd have been little more than a rather nasty doorman.

So I stress: this is the BBC modus operandum with 'stars' in relation to others. And while that managerial behaviour didn't create the monster, it certainly inflated it to cause horrific damage to some many other people's lives. It was, incidentally, precisely that same managerial behaviour which prevented the Newsnight investigation getting to air.

Not a single one of those other things would have been possible for Savile without the persona he created at the BBC, and which was fostered and protected by the BBC. His calling card was that he was the BBC-certified fix-it for all things good and charitable (and, in Thatcherite terms, non-dependent on public finance. He became a symbol of the supposed power of private good to displace or support public provision. Hence his many elevations under Thatcher.) Without the BBC he'd have been little more than a rather nasty doorman.

So I stress: this is the BBC modus operandum with 'stars' in relation to others. And while that managerial behaviour didn't create the monster, it certainly inflated it to cause horrific damage to some many other people's lives. It was, incidentally, precisely that same managerial behaviour which prevented the Newsnight investigation getting to air.

A coincidence perhaps but I hear exactly the same thing from many other independent television producers :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
No I didn't; nor did I work anywhere remotely close to that creep. It wasn't until Louis Theroux's profile of him that I got a glimpse of the malevolence behind the mask. Unfortunately I know all too well, though, the culture at the BBC that made this possible. As an institution it is a haven for the entitled white middle class, and it has (statistically) become ever more dominated by a self-perpetuating, self-congratulating Oxbridge-selected elite of top-level managers. These managers, where they manage relationships between 'talent' (like Savile) and production staff and crews, have taken it upon themselves to ruthlessly suppress and stigmatise staff concerns about talent - to the point of subjecting whistleblowers to campaigns of sustained and debilitating intimidation.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that many at the BBC reported that they knew about Savile or were in the loop on some of the more lurid rumours about him. But I can't in good conscience accuse them of failing to speak out, because I know in hindsight that many tried to raise all kinds of red flags. When raising concerns like this meant you're given a good career-stalling kicking as a result, you tend to understand how it could have happened.

I understand what you are saying Verbal but the BBC had no powers outside of its own corridors, so how did Saville operate with impunity in other organisations? There seem to have been an awful lot of people at an awful lot of different places turning a blind eye.

I understand what you are saying Verbal but the BBC had no powers outside of its own corridors, so how did Saville operate with impunity in other organisations? There seem to have been an awful lot of people at an awful lot of different places turning a blind eye.

From the very very little (keen to stress it is little) I've heard from goings on at Leeds general infirmary, it sounds a similar story.

Staff raise issues, managers are keen to suppress the issues as a Saville is a big name/character that can quickly ruin someone's career/reputation and he also brought a lot of fundraising to the hospital. To be clear, there is a lot of detail in between that has been omitted and lost to time, but this is a simplification of events I've had passed on from people there at the time.

• 1 month later...

Nah, a wee bit of internet research informs us that she jacked it in after DNA tests were inconclusive and she decided he was too monstrous to be related to anyway.

• 1 year later...
Looks like Cliff's in big trouble as well...

Not any more...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36546038

Singer Sir Cliff Richard will face no further action over allegations of historical sex abuse, prosecutors say.The Crown Prosecution Service said it had "carefully reviewed" the case and decided there was "insufficient evidence to prosecute".

Sir Cliff said he was "obviously thrilled that the vile accusations and the resulting investigation have finally been brought to a close".

Four men claimed offences took place between 1958 and 1983, the CPS said.

In a statement, Sir Cliff said: "After almost two years under police investigation I learnt today that they have finally closed their enquiries.

"I have always maintained my innocence, cooperated fully with the investigation, and cannot understand why it has taken so long to get to this point."

He added: "Ever since the highly-publicised and BBC-filmed raid on my home I have chosen not to speak publicly.

"Even though I was under pressure to 'speak out', other than to state my innocence, which was easy for me to do as I have never molested anyone in my life, I chose to remain silent."

Apropos of nothing at all, whenever my secretary talked about cliff richard she started dripping like a broken tap. She also said I look a lot like him. So how come I never got to sh*g her? Wimmin, I'll never understand them.

Apropos of nothing at all, whenever my secretary talked about cliff richard she started dripping like a broken tap. She also said I look a lot like him. So how come I never got to sh*g her? Wimmin, I'll never understand them.

One of my rellies had the same thing going for Freddie Mercury. When I told her he was gay she hit me....

One of my rellies had the same thing going for Freddie Mercury. When I told her he was gay she hit me....

"I'm glad Cliff Richard has been cleared," said my wife. "You always remind me of him."

"Really?" I asked.

"Yes," she replied. "You're shortsighted and nearly dead."

Can you tell, I'm killing time before my 2:30 job.

• 4 months later...
A very good friend of mine for the last 30+ years was his secretary at Stoke Mandeville for many years. Eventually she was so sickened that she had to leave. All I will say is that there are a lot of facts about JS to come out. Most of them would have seen him join a lot of his compatriots at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.920700,-1.431004

5 years since death of Saville. DSM called it.

I've just finished reading "In Plain Sight: The Live and Lies of Jimmy Savile" by Dan Davies.

It's an absorbing account of how Savile wormed his way into the places that would give him access to vulnerable young girls.

Thatcher was determined to put him forward for a knighthood and, although senior civil servants managed to block it for 4 or 5 years (as they'd heard the rumours), she eventually got her way.

A lot of the establishment refused to see what he was like, the Police, BBC, Prince Charles and the Duke of Edinburgh were all taken in.

Someone who wasn't was the Captain of the Canberra. On a Mediterranean cruise, Savile groped a 13 year old girl. She told her parent who protested to the Captain. He told Savile that he was leaving the ship in Gibraltar and would have to make his own way home. P&O then banned him from all of their ships.

Well worth a read.

Unfortunately Savile then moved over to Cunard who continued to fete him for his celebrity presence.

However the Southampton Dockers didn't like him apparently as he never tipped.

I was once on a Cunard ship when he was a passenger and his behaviour was very odd as was his dress sense (mainly track suits, string vests and lots of jewellery, even on formal nights.)

Apart from a guy around his own age he travelled with he was very much a loner

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
34 minutes ago, trousers said:

Just watched the 1st episode of 'The Reckoning'. Dark stuff. Bafta winning performance from Coogan. 

I saw an interview with a woman who was abused by him from age 11. She advised on the show. Basically she said she freaked when she saw Coogan in costume for the first time and that the programme is a difficult watch, but worth it. It couldnt and shouldnt be sanitised into entertainment   

• Like 3

On 30/10/2011 at 21:19, hypochondriac said:

I think that without any evidence, it's disgusting to go around accusing someone just because he is a bit odd.

Without doubt was a dodgy fucker. Thought people at start of this thread were taking the piss with talking about his greatness. Nauseating cunt and that was before all came out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Watched all four episodes. 

not great to be fair. There could and probably should have been so much more to tell in that particular story. Just jumps massive gaps in the timeline.

I watched the first one last night & thought it was shite. Coogan was very good, but it wasn’t subtle enough, and the characters were siloed into “good” or “idiot”. Fucking hell, even Stevie Wonder could have seen what he was up to if that was how he carried on from the get-go. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Going back eleven years and there are some really embarrassing posts from some current posters there. Egg comes out with credit but a few others should hold their heads in shame.

Hypo was on form! We all can misjudge.

As for the programme I thought Coogan was superb, made you think it was Saville. So sad seeing the real victims and how it has messed their lives up