Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: Do you remember Neil Shipperley?

  1. #1

    Default Do you remember Neil Shipperley?

    I had a little chat with him last night after AFC Totton had beaten the side he manages 'North Greenford United' 6-1 at the Testwood Stadium. He has put on a few lbs but he was very polite and quite chatty as we relived his Southampton days. He said that he loved it here. He said the Alan Ball had them playing some really good football. We also relived the night Saints were losing 1-0 to Kevin Keegans Newcastle untill the 89th minute and we scored 3 times in 3 minutes to win 3-1 and Neil scored one of the goals. He said that he doesn't really keep in touch with any of the Saints players from the mid 90's. I was telling him about how much Saints have come on over the last couple of years and that Mr Cortese is investing heavilly into the training ground where work is currently progressing. He seemed really interested and was asked what was being done down there. he said that he'd love to go down and have a look around, he said that the training ground was pretty good back in his day! All in all he seemed a very decent guy.

  2. #2

    Default

    He ended up having a decent career, never really prolific for a striker but he helped a couple of teams to promotion into the Premier League.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sitting on the bench keeping llalana company
    Posts
    6,040
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Score a goal neil shipperley
    we will love you more than you will know

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viking Warrior View Post
    Score a goal neil shipperley
    we will love you more than you will know
    I was a ST holder in the Archers Road back then and i remember that song oh so well.

  5. #5

    Default

    He was my favourite player as a kid. I was livid when his goal at Old Trafford got disallowed for absolutely no reason!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Exiled in East Anglia
    Posts
    2,893

    Default

    Wasn't he on stage at the Lawrie/MLT/Mike Osman do at The Mayflower?

    I remember him scoring twice at Norwich when I took my lad and his mate to see us play around '95...think it ended 2-2. Good player, did reasonably well for us

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Aye, always remember thinking what a cracking signing he was. Striker from Chelsea for 1 million - massive, massive money and was well pleased to snap him up.

    also believe he scored our first goal in "that" FA Cup replay against Spurs.......

  8. Default

    How has this thread got this far without this picture?


  9. Default

    Blimey is that really neil Shipperley?

    At first glance thought it was Razor Ruddock!!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Locks Heath ex Townhill
    Posts
    7,947

    Default

    did he play in the great comeback game against the Geordies

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Premier League. That's not the PremierSHIP, nor the BPL or EPL. The Premier League.
    Posts
    5,297

    Default

    Scored the goal that put Palace in the Premier League a few years back I think.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CLOTH EARS View Post
    I had a little chat with him last night after AFC Totton had beaten the side he manages 'North Greenford United' 6-1 at the Testwood Stadium. He has put on a few lbs but he was very polite and quite chatty as we relived his Southampton days. He said that he loved it here. He said the Alan Ball had them playing some really good football. We also relived the night Saints were losing 1-0 to Kevin Keegans Newcastle untill the 89th minute and we scored 3 times in 3 minutes to win 3-1 and Neil scored one of the goals. He said that he doesn't really keep in touch with any of the Saints players from the mid 90's. I was telling him about how much Saints have come on over the last couple of years and that Mr Cortese is investing heavilly into the training ground where work is currently progressing. He seemed really interested and was asked what was being done down there. he said that he'd love to go down and have a look around, he said that the training ground was pretty good back in his day! All in all he seemed a very decent guy.
    One of my best Saints supporting memories.

    I always did like Ships when he was at Saints.

  13. #13

    Default

    funny you say that, a couple of weekd ago at work this bloke walked past me on the phone and said "alright dave it's neil shipperly here". Got me thinking about him and ended up discussing his career with the guy next to me who's forest.

  14. #14

    Default

    I remember that game against Newcastle - when the 3rd one went in I was standing on my chair screaming incoherently and I knew that we were going to stay up from that point onwards.

  15. #15

    Default

    He was a fairly hot prospect whilst at Chelsea and was tipped for the top.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bald_Si View Post
    Aye, always remember thinking what a cracking signing he was. Striker from Chelsea for 1 million - massive, massive money and was well pleased to snap him up.

    also believe he scored our first goal in "that" FA Cup replay against Spurs.......
    Are you serious? He was a terrible signing - bloody useless with an embarrassing song to boot. I believe at the time we could and should have bought Craig Burley from Chelsea instead. Admittedly he did score occasionally as you would expect from a striker, but hardly a rickie lambert.

  17. Default

    I always thought he looked like Noddy.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Down Under
    Posts
    2,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viking Warrior View Post
    Score a goal neil shipperley
    we will love you more than you will know
    I started singing that in my head the second I saw the thread title, ha.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Down by the jetty
    Posts
    6,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Balls View Post
    He was my favourite player as a kid. I was livid when his goal at Old Trafford got disallowed for absolutely no reason!
    yeh I remember that vividly too. Typical old trafford decision, wasnt it for supposedly climbing? Also remember DM being unbelievably magnanimous about the incident afterwards, just gave a wry smile and said if it had happened at the other end the goal might possibly have been allowed. Imagine fergie taking that attitude......the ref would have been hung out to dry.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by This Charming Man View Post
    I started singing that in my head the second I saw the thread title, ha.
    Presumably just prior to puking all over the floor :-).

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    How has this thread got this far without this picture?

    Bloody hell....

  22. #22

    Default

    also scored two against the Skates at The Dell in a 3 nil cup win for us!!

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Formerly Clapham
    Posts
    1,740

    Default

    Can't link to the photo for some reason but he's looking in his prime here...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuarttree/5625213957/

    And here...


  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles34 View Post
    also scored two against the Skates at The Dell in a 3 nil cup win for us!!
    Actually it was Jim Magilton who scored twice. ****terley got the third ;-)

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kpturner View Post
    Actually it was Jim Magilton who scored twice. ****terley got the third ;-)
    are you sure, thought it was Shipperley with two and Matt with one? Stand to be (officially) corrected though.

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles34 View Post
    are you sure, thought it was Shipperley with two and Matt with one? Stand to be (officially) corrected though.
    100% positive

  27. #27

    Default

    12 goals in 67 appearances.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Maidenhead. Yes I know its in Berkshire and a bit too close to Reading
    Posts
    2,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Balls View Post
    He was my favourite player as a kid. I was livid when his goal at Old Trafford got disallowed for absolutely no reason!
    Ditto re the OT goal. The "foul" was apparently on Roy Keane. Keane did not complain at all and started walking away, gutted we had scored, when the ref disallowed it. Says it all

    Mind you, Shipps did score against Utd at the Dell so sort of makes up for it. Seem to remember Neil Heany jumping on his back in the celebration.

    The 3-1 comback against Newcastle remains one of my favourite games

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CLOTH EARS View Post
    I was a ST holder in the Archers Road back then and i remember that song oh so well.
    Me as well.

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    How has this thread got this far without this picture?

    Eat a pie, Neil Shipperley,
    your shorts will fit, no matter how you grow
    woh ho ho

    (love you really Neil)
    Last edited by ooh it's a corner; 15-02-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: didnt want to hurt his feelings

  31. #31

    Default

    Found this video of Shipperley (and Richard Hall) scoring, Saints coming from behind to beat Boro....
    http://youtu.be/yTQHSnwRAvg

  32. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viking Warrior View Post
    Score a goal neil shipperley
    we will love you more than you will know
    Am I mental or was there a version that went
    'we will love you more than you know who'?

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hedge End
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDtOdAGIoYQ&feature=related

    H
    ere's a video of the outrageous disallowed goal at OT.... bastards

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy ****e View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDtOdAGIoYQ&feature=related

    H
    ere's a video of the outrageous disallowed goal at OT.... bastards
    Brings back memories. Was right at the front behind the goal, so had a perfect view and there was definitely no foul.
    Last edited by krissyboy31; 15-02-2012 at 08:40 PM.

  35. #35

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gothenburg , Sweden
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyinthesky View Post
    Blimey is that really neil Shipperley?

    At first glance thought it was Razor Ruddock!!
    At first glance , thought he had eaten Razor Ruddock!!!!

  36. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    12 goals in 67 appearances.
    Let's not forget Gordon Watson. 8 goals in 52. Blimey.

    I can remember all that stuff in the Echo at the time about these two being our deadly strike partnership.

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Worshipping At The Temple Of Cortese
    Posts
    2,428

    Default

    My best Shipperley memory was about 1994. We had a mid-week game against Chelsea there was a torrential downpour and the game was called off about half an hour before kick off. But we were determined to attend rescheduled match which we did. This was before Chelsea got in the money. We were sat in the side with Chelsea fans and one end of the ground was being rebuilt and the Chelsea fans that end were sat in a stand made out of scaffolding.
    Chelsea were really poor and we werent much better but Shipperley scored two goals and we won 2 nil. Chelsea fans were near suicidal after that game.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •