Do you remember Neil Shipperley?

CLOTH EARS

I had a little chat with him last night after AFC Totton had beaten the side he manages 'North Greenford United' 6-1 at the Testwood Stadium. He has put on a few lbs but he was very polite and quite chatty as we relived his Southampton days. He said that he loved it here. He said the Alan Ball had them playing some really good football. We also relived the night Saints were losing 1-0 to Kevin Keegans Newcastle untill the 89th minute and we scored 3 times in 3 minutes to win 3-1 and Neil scored one of the goals. He said that he doesn't really keep in touch with any of the Saints players from the mid 90's. I was telling him about how much Saints have come on over the last couple of years and that Mr Cortese is investing heavilly into the training ground where work is currently progressing. He seemed really interested and was asked what was being done down there. he said that he'd love to go down and have a look around, he said that the training ground was pretty good back in his day! All in all he seemed a very decent guy.

I had a little chat with him last night after AFC Totton had beaten the side he manages 'North Greenford United' 6-1 at the Testwood Stadium. He has put on a few lbs but he was very polite and quite chatty as we relived his Southampton days. He said that he loved it here. He said the Alan Ball had them playing some really good football. We also relived the night Saints were losing 1-0 to Kevin Keegans Newcastle untill the 89th minute and we scored 3 times in 3 minutes to win 3-1 and Neil scored one of the goals. He said that he doesn't really keep in touch with any of the Saints players from the mid 90's. I was telling him about how much Saints have come on over the last couple of years and that Mr Cortese is investing heavilly into the training ground where work is currently progressing. He seemed really interested and was asked what was being done down there. he said that he'd love to go down and have a look around, he said that the training ground was pretty good back in his day! All in all he seemed a very decent guy.

One of my best Saints supporting memories.

I always did like Ships when he was at Saints.

Aye, always remember thinking what a cracking signing he was. Striker from Chelsea for £1 million - massive, massive money and was well pleased to snap him up.

also believe he scored our first goal in "that" FA Cup replay against Spurs....... :(

Are you serious? He was a terrible signing - bloody useless with an embarrassing song to boot. I believe at the time we could and should have bought Craig Burley from Chelsea instead. Admittedly he did score occasionally as you would expect from a striker, but hardly a rickie lambert.

He was my favourite player as a kid. I was livid when his goal at Old Trafford got disallowed for absolutely no reason!

:lol: yeh I remember that vividly too. Typical old trafford decision, wasnt it for supposedly climbing? Also remember DM being unbelievably magnanimous about the incident afterwards, just gave a wry smile and said if it had happened at the other end the goal might possibly have been allowed. Imagine fergie taking that attitude......the ref would have been hung out to dry.

He was my favourite player as a kid. I was livid when his goal at Old Trafford got disallowed for absolutely no reason!

Ditto re the OT goal. The "foul" was apparently on Roy Keane. Keane did not complain at all and started walking away, gutted we had scored, when the ref disallowed it. Says it all

Mind you, Shipps did score against Utd at the Dell so sort of makes up for it. Seem to remember Neil Heany jumping on his back in the celebration.

The 3-1 comback against Newcastle remains one of my favourite games

My best Shipperley memory was about 1994. We had a mid-week game against Chelsea there was a torrential downpour and the game was called off about half an hour before kick off. But we were determined to attend rescheduled match which we did. This was before Chelsea got in the money. We were sat in the side with Chelsea fans and one end of the ground was being rebuilt and the Chelsea fans that end were sat in a stand made out of scaffolding.

Chelsea were really poor and we werent much better but Shipperley scored two goals and we won 2 nil. Chelsea fans were near suicidal after that game.