Claus Lundekvam admits betting scam..

ToreSF

- I know of Norwegian players who have made bets on scorers, first kick, first throw and stuff. It's something I have been involved in a number of years in England. I've made bets on matches that I have been involved in, the former Southampton player says to VG Nett.

He says it usually was done as a team. The money was collected in a pot before the game, where they made bets as to who should get the first throw in the match. The game was set by others.

We agreed with the opponent captain who was to kick off. So we could, for example, play the ball back to the midfield player who bumped it up to the opposite side and center-back again sent it over the line. It's a pretty normal start to a match, no one would have suspected and it was very easy for us to control the little things like that.

Lundekvam says that they "made ​​some money on it."

- We also had some inside information on both team sheets, who would take penalties and things like that. We could manipulate and control the little things in games.

Never profit bets

Lundekvam claim that he has never been part of playing on the outcome or results of matches.

- The result was never on the agenda. I'd never been to either. Even though we did of course was illegal, it was just a fun thing.

- What do you think about what you did now?

- I do not think it's sporty or morally right for us to do what we did. But we had a chance to do it then, and it was just like that.

After retiring as a footballer, he has come forward with their own alcohol, gambling and drug problems. Since then he has also been actively involved in the fight against doping, substance abuse and addiction.

Wish he gave us a few tips, i wonder if he had a bet about a pen awarded in 1st 5 mins of the 2003 fa cup final ;)

First 30 seconds, wasn't it? I remember thinking that Claus had taken leave of his senses and would be very lucky to stay on the pitch. And now I find myself starting to wonder what the odds would be on a red card in the first minute of an FA Cup Final.

Not sure it needs dragging up again...perhaps Claus (much as I admired him) needs to stay in the limelight and get paid for the quotes...just having to drag up the less run of the mill type to keep his income flowing.

Saddened really - not what I like associated with him, MLT or Saints particularly as we prepare for this of all seasons.

I think you'd have to be incredibly naive to think that this doesn't happen on a weekly basis in The Premier League/Football League.

If I was in the premier league with todays wages theres no way Id risk it all for some small time betting.

I really wish that items like this didn't appear so often.

I prefer to recall Claus as a brave and fearless defender who spilt blood for the cause - on more than one occasion.

What he may have lacked in pace, he made up for in courage and rarely let the side down.

Signed by Graham Souness for £400K as a left back in summer 1996, he converted to CB and successively played alongside Ken Monkou, Dean Richards, Paul Williams and later with Michael Svensson to form ...what was probably one of the best central partnerships in the last generation.

He is the only foreign player to have made over 400 apps. for Saints (which puts him in the top 12 of all timers,) and was a model pro. on the pitch.

Sadly, he made more human mistakes off it, but he's not alone there, and I for one am sorry that his name only appears in a negative context nowadays.

Remembering him as a loyal Saints player, he'd be in my all-time squad every time.

Edited by david in sweden
spelling

Whilst we were paying good money to watch these fools play to the best of their sporting ability they were rigging games to earn a few quid on top of their already inflated wages.....no doubt to pay off his dealer.

Really takes the **** IMO.

Although he was a decent player,he was a Fookin idiot outside of football,I knew him (through things I won't go into on here) and the man led a less than moral life.

A slightly curious side note....'Moose' was doing a review of the newspaper sports pages earlier on TalkSport and he said: "I'm going to skip over the story on the back of The Sun" and indeed didn't mention the subject matter at all. I thought that was a tad odd but thought nothing more of it....until seeing this thread.

I wonder why he fellt the need to skip over it? He wasn't backwards in coming forwards last season to have a dig at us after the Sharp 'incident' at the West Ham game.

Anyway. as I say, just a slightly curious side note.

No wonder we survived every year. Rivals probably threw games to preserve a lucrative betting ring. I wonder if the police will speak to him because he has admitted stealing/defrauding bookmakers for thousands.

Edited by dune

The stupidity of some people never fails to amaze me. Why both he and Le Tiss felt the need to bring this out in the open astounds me. The only thing that doesn't surprise me is the greed of some footballers. They earn more in a month (or a week!) than most of us do in a year. Even in Claus' & Matyy's time they were still earning shedloads compared to the "average joe".

Greed + Stupidity is not a good mix!

That's a bit of a shocker. I think its inevitable that the police will get involved, and rightly so. I used to have the odd flutter on these sort of things, now you learn its not a fair market. Saints legend or not, he deserves punishment, along with anyone else who was involved.

I don't see how it matters now.. I doubt there is anyone at the club now who was involved then.........................Unless Jason Dodd was involved :scared:

It's fraud that's why, just needs the bookies association to demand an enquiry into the level of the trickery ,something really unsavoury like a fixed match comes out and you get relegated or something like that even if it was years back.It's what happened to Juventus, bloke needs to count his ill gotten gains and STFU.Are cricketers not doing time for similar incidents?

This was all brought up in le Tiss's book years ago wasn't it!? Hardly today's news...

Not that I've read that but I seem to remember that it was just one throw in incident, now Claus seems to be saying it goes on , or went on anyway every week and a lot of collusion is involved, that's technically match fixing because any of these incidents could affect a result.

It's fraud that's why, just needs the bookies association to demand an enquiry into the level of the trickery ,something really unsavoury like a fixed match comes out and you get relegated or something like that even if it was years back.It's what happened to Juventus, bloke needs to count his ill gotten gains and STFU.Are cricketers not doing time for similar incidents?

How can they punish the club for this?...I mean if the players were still here prehaps. If the bloke who lived in my house before me had committed a crime I'd hardly expect to go down for it.

How can they punish the club for this?...I mean if the players were still here prehaps. If the bloke who lived in my house before me had committed a crime I'd hardly expect to go down for it.

Rangers have ben punished for being bent and they have different players and ownership...

This was all brought up in le Tiss's book years ago wasn't it!? Hardly today's news...

Le Tiss claimed he did the old first throw in scam just the once in his book. Claus talks about a whole series of events. Shameful.

Could any kind of charges be brought against this?

Not a wise thing to say, havent read the article but think he also mentioned it in the Norweigan press so the Sun have probably picked it up from there.

what were those Pakistani cricketers and Danish Kaneira jailed for? wasn't it deliberately bowling no-balls ? Is that not exactly the same as conceding a corner or a free-kick for gain ? Now you might argue that those lads accepted money for doing whatever it is that they did but I think that being certain to take money off a bookie for one of your own actions can only be classed in the same category.

what were those Pakistani cricketers and Danish Kaneira jailed for? wasn't it deliberately bowling no-balls ? Is that not exactly the same as conceding a corner or a free-kick for gain ? Now you might argue that those lads accepted money for doing whatever it is that they did but I think that being certain to take money off a bookie for one of your own actions can only be classed in the same category.

Agree - was thinking that MLT has already admitted to it and nothing happened. Interesting to see he said on twitter this morning that he has no knowledge of what CL is talking about...

Agree - was thinking that MLT has already admitted to it and nothing happened. Interesting to see he said on twitter this morning that he has no knowledge of what CL is talking about...

Evidently , should the Fraud Squad get involved then some players could go down for a while as well as everyone who aided and abetted them ,ie the employees who placed the bets for them . Hopefully they've all been weeded out long ago.

It's not exactly a huge revelation that football players bet on the time of the first throw in. An amazingly high number of games seem to start off with a throw in within the first 30 seconds or so. Has always been like that.