Do you have contact lenses ?
Contact lens wears have another reason to keep their eyes clean and safe. An eye-eating amoeba called the Acanthamoeba parasite
puts contact lens users at risk of extreme pain and potential blindness.
The parasite is not extremely common, there are only about 75 cases in Britain per year however the damage is quick and often irreversible.
The millions of people that wear contacts and fail to thoroughly clean the lenses are at risk of the parasite, according to experts.
The Acanthamoeba parasite is found in dust, in the sea, in showers, swimming pools and rivers. The tiny single-celled parasite feeds on bacteria
found on dirty contact lenses and cases. When the user puts the infected lens in the eye, it starts to eat its way through the cornea, the outer
layer of the eyeball and breeds as it goes.
Symptoms of the parasite include itchy and watery eyes, blurred vision, sensitivity to light, swelling of the upper eyelid and severe pain.
Once the parasite has entered the cornea, vision can be permanently damaged within a week.
To avoid this terrifying eye-devouring parasite, experts recommend using single use daily contact lenses and changing lens cases every week.
Only daily ones nowadays thank goodness.
Wearers will know that even dailies sometimes feel dirty and need a "clean". Usual method for me is take it out, dribble on it, rub it gently and put it back. Optician once told me never ever use saliva to clean a lens, too many germs, you'd be better of peeing on it as it's sterile. Not easy to do when your driving though.
Just ask one of your passengers to pee on it for you then.
Originally Posted by Wurzel
I've got all day all night ones. Nice bing able to see when I get called out in the middle of the night for some sort of emergency.
Thinking about getting laser treatment though. Anyone had that?