Nigel Adkins - Sacked

exit2

Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?  

678 members have voted

1. 1. Is sacking Nigel Adkins today the correct decision?

Southampton Football Club has this morning appointed Mauricio Pochettino as First Team Manager, having relieved Nigel Adkins of his managerial duties.

Forty year old Pochettino has earned a reputation as one of the most talented young coaches in European football thanks to an impressive spell in La Liga with Espanyol.

The Argentine was widely linked with a future role at one of Spain’s top clubs, but having left Espanyol in November now joins Southampton to continue his top-flight managerial career.

Pochettino will take charge of training on Saturday ahead of his first game as Southampton First Team Manager on Monday evening (21st December) against Everton in the Barclays Premier League.

The Club would like to thank Nigel Adkins for his service over the past three seasons, and wish him well for the future.

Executive Chairman, Nicola Cortese said:

“This decision has been made with the long-term ambitions of Southampton Football Club in mind. Whilst we acknowledge the contribution Nigel has made during the past two years, for the Club to progress and achieve our long-term targets a change was needed.

“Mauricio is a well-respected coach of substantial quality who has gained a reputation as an astute tactician and excellent man manager. I have every confidence that he will inspire our talented squad of players to perform at the highest possible level.

“He also shares my belief that the most successful clubs are built by nurturing young players through a development system that provides a clear path to the First Team, thereby creating a culture that keeps them at the Club for the long term. This is an approach he has employed with great success in the past and I look forward to him bringing that experience and expertise to Southampton.”

Southampton First Team Manager, Mauricio Pochettino added:

“This is the kind of opportunity that any coach would relish. Southampton is a club with great heritage, and an even more exciting future. There is a clear vision to take the Club to a new era of sustained success in the Premier League, and beyond, which I’m delighted to be part of.”

unexpected to say the least. If he was going to go surely after the WBA nightmare. Maybe that game was the one that swung it and its taken till now for Cortese to get his man. Strange. Nothing surprises me in football these days. Wonder how this might unsettle players like Shaw and Puncheon who are due to sing new contracts in the summer?

This forum never ceases to CRACK me up! :lol:

This morning there is a rumour most don’t like the sound of, so it is dismissed as bulls**t, a wind-up.

And now the decision has been made, loads are moaning and crying. This is what many of you wanted. You wanted the Cortese dream, continental style, chasing some Champions League unobtainable utopia, well now you’ve got it. A fair few of us on here have warned you MANY times about Cortese and his attitude to staff and were dismissed as wind up merchants etc, despite the fact our sources were people that were close to the club.

Well now you can all see for yourselves.

Absolute disgrace and a massive mistake. Nigel is transparently a good coach, great man manager and thoroughly decent man. A real sportsman and should have been with us for at least a decade . Feel like returning my season ticket at the moment, incandescent with frustrated anger. Nigel, you did not deserve this and will always be a Saints legend for me.