The Luke Shaw Rumour thread

Saint Garrett

It is inevitable that Shaw will leave this Summer IMO, but it does make it harder to trust anything the Chairman et al says if we have been negotiating a deal to sell our most valuable asset behind closed doors at the same time he has been doing interviews saying we don't need or want to sell.

How do Man United know their new manager wants Shaw? Would Shaw want to go to a club where he didn't know who was going to be managing him, if he was going to be playing etc? £100k a week and playing for one of the worlds biggest clubs is a huge carrot but dont assume this is as done a deal as it's being made out.

£30 million is INSANE for a left back, even if he is world class.

I'd sell every day of the week for that amount of money. You don't win games with Left Backs, and as Gary Neville once said, no school kid grows up saying "I want to be a left back when I grow up" It's a position you stumble across, a position where players are a dime a dozen

I don't draw comparisons with Bale here, I don't think he's as good, I don't think he'll make his way into midfield... for me, £30 million for any full back is an offer that simply can not be refused.

It would be different if it was a 25 goal a season striker, as they're irreplaceable, but a left back. While we wont get anyone of Lukes standard a decent left back could be had for between 5-6 million & I don't think the fate of any team whether it was promotion\relegation\European qualification or winning the title has been decided because they had a world class left back.

Re-invest wisely and we'll be a stronger team next year without him

I'd sell every day of the week for that amount of money. You don't win games with Left Backs, and as Gary Neville once said, no school kid grows up saying "I want to be a left back when I grow up" It's a position you stumble across, a position where players are a dime a dozen

I don't draw comparisons with Bale here, I don't think he's as good, I don't think he'll make his way into midfield... for me, £30 million for any full back is an offer that simply can not be refused.

It would be different if it was a 25 goal a season striker, as they're irreplaceable, but a left back. While we wont get anyone of Lukes standard a decent left back could be had for between 5-6 million & I don't think the fate of any team whether it was promotion\relegation\European qualification or winning the title has been decided because they had a world class left back.

bang on the money pal.

He'll definitely go in the summer, don't know why anyone thinks he will stay

Got this weeks lotto numbers too?

Honestly people 'think' he might stay because we simply do not know (that includes you).

Your opinion is he will leave, you may be right ... may also be wrong. Plenty of reasons for Shaw to stay with us - at least for the immediate future - so it's not beyond the realms of possibility he may yet stay. Besides I find it hard to imagine he would join a club without knowing who the manager will be - it happens but is v rare! At this stage in his career he needs a manager who has faith in him and can help him develop.

You're right that the story would be more rounded with a Southampton perspective, though it does say that we are demanding £30m. Previous Guardian articles have referenced our desire and ability to hold onto players, but Jamie Jackson is their Manchester football correspondent so he's going to have contacts at United and may not have been able to get a line from Saints. If the paper had the time or resources to assign a second reporter (someone with Saints contacts, like Dominic Fifield) to the story then they might have written something which incorporates both sides. Sadly, that's not often how it works, but the story is pretty transparent. It makes clear that it's reporting the United perspective.

The bulk of that story has clearly come from people at United; all I'm saying is that the Guardian won't have printed it without standing it up. They're wise to the possible motives of people who supply information to the press and take decisions on what to publish with that in mind.

There's next to no reason for us to even accept £30mill, we'd be getting to the point that we have more money then we can actually sensibly spend because of the limited type of player we can attract. We would be more inclined to sell Osvaldo and Gaston and use the money to offer Shaw 80k a week imo, that would be far more in line with the brand they're trying to promote, selling Shaw would ruin our image.

How do Man United know their new manager wants Shaw? Would Shaw want to go to a club where he didn't know who was going to be managing him, if he was going to be playing etc? £100k a week and playing for one of the worlds biggest clubs is a huge carrot but dont assume this is as done a deal as it's being made out.

Wow! Actually find myself agreeing with your post. Nail on the head.

Ive said it before, but if selling just one player means we can keep the rest, then IMO for the money we'd get for him, that player would be Shaw.

In an ideal world we'd keep them all and strengthen but as long as we can hold on to Lallana, Morgan and Lovren it'd be a result.

There's next to no reason for us to even accept £30mill, we'd be getting to the point that we have more money then we can actually sensibly spend because of the limited type of player we can attract. We would be more inclined to sell Osvaldo and Gaston and use the money to offer Shaw 80k a week imo, that would be far more in line with the brand they're trying to promote, selling Shaw would ruin our image.

Two more players out and give the money that is freed up to one existing player?

Doesn´t seem to strengthen our squad very much by doing that...

Whilst the left back is only one member of the defence, defenders are generally underrated when it comes to transfer fees. Remember a clean sheet is worth more points on average than scoring two goals a game.

I hope he stays, but if he goes for a lot of money then that does not signal the end for our plan, sometimes it is worth cashing in, especially if it means the manager and the rest of the core players like Morgan, Lovren, Adam, and J rod stay

Shaw's value is partly to do with how the full-back role is changing, as well. They are increasingly important attacking players - Everton wouldn't be challenging for the Champions League without theirs and teams are only going to attack more with them as time goes on. By the time Shaw hits his peak I expect the best teams will be relying on them for a good handful of goals and assists.

The price is also heavily influenced by age - having any top class player who can fill a position for 10+ years is worth a lot of money.

That just about sums it up for me.

Two more players out and give the money that is freed up to one existing player?

Doesn´t seem to strengthen our squad very much by doing that...

I wasn't implying we give Shaw a £15mill signing on fee and do no other transactions this summer. I'd sell those two, give Shaw a huge new contract then use the money from those transfers plus £10mill of investment to give £20mill to Pochettino. If we want to be a top half team and have England players we need to pay England player wages, if not we don't deserve to keep players like Lallana and Shaw.

It is inevitable that Shaw will leave this Summer IMO, but it does make it harder to trust anything the Chairman et al says if we have been negotiating a deal to sell our most valuable asset behind closed doors at the same time he has been doing interviews saying we don't need or want to sell.

"IF" FFS. Have some faith that our club is not deliberately lying to our fans; while Utd is in total meltdown, at its lowest point for nearly 20 years and Moyes is a free agent who can say what he wants.

Yeah spot on with that.

Even Chambers has filled in there a couple of times this season when Shaw's gone off and done a decent job. Like you say, 5-6m and we've got a worthy replacement with over £20m in change for the rest of the squad.

It would be stupid for Luke Shaw to sign for United. Yes there's a high wage, but there is absolutely no guarantee of Champions League or Europa League football in the 2015/16 season.

In fact Its more likely that Rooney's ludicrous wage will cause a massive rift in the camp, as well as lumber Man U with having to pay any new signings with silly money. AND THEN you've got a squad of players geared up for European football but with 2/3 of the game time available next season.

Any manager going to Man U with that current squad would be crazy, and player going to Man U with that current squad will be going for a massive pay day.

It would be stupid for Luke Shaw to sign for United. Yes there's a high wage, but there is absolutely no guarantee of Champions League or Europa League football in the 2015/16 season.

In fact Its more likely that Rooney's ludicrous wage will cause a massive rift in the camp, as well as lumber Man U with having to pay any new signings with silly money. AND THEN you've got a squad of players geared up for European football but with 2/3 of the game time available next season.

Any manager going to Man U with that current squad would be crazy, and player going to Man U with that current squad will be going for a massive pay day.

That means he's effectively on a ton of money more than he currently is and actually has a better chance of regular first team football than he would at Chelsea. For me United have hit their rock bottom, they will come back stronger next year and for the foreseeable future, so joining them would mean Shaw gets a ridiculously high pay day, a better chance of first team matches (than at other top clubs) and a future which really can only be on the up.

You think 18 year old left backs of Shaw's quality are a "dime a dozen"? I agree that it's notthe end of the world if we got a huge amount ofmoney and reinvest it well, but lets not pretend he wouldn't be a loss.

Yeah spot on with that.

Even Chambers has filled in there a couple of times this season when Shaw's gone off and done a decent job. Like you say, 5-6m and we've got a worthy replacement with over £20m in change for the rest of the squad.

When has Chambers done a decent job at left back?

But surely under some circumstances Utd will qualify for the Europa League, just the sort of competition young players need to adapt to a different kind of football. Still don't think they'll sign him myself though. Riccardo Rodriguez from Wolfsburg is a far better bargain, less than half the price and real international experience to boot.

Truth is we can do F all about it so don't even worry. Targett was rated higher than Shaw not too long ago & will be given a chance to prove himself. At some point Shaw will leave, I think we all know that if we are being honest.
We can do f**k all about most things to do with our team, doesn't stop fans worrying or speculating about them. Don't think Targett is close to Shaw's level yet, not even got a kick in any of our cup games this season has he? Edited by Sour Mash

When has Chambers done a decent job at left back?

Remember he did about half an hour against Spurs back in December and put in quite a few solid challenges to win the ball back. Imagine it wouldn't be too hard to convert him to LB more regularly.

United would probably try and use the opportunity to offer us their trash, like Buttner for example.

Who we were very close to signing, but Utd pipped us to it..... Our scouting team obviously rate him.

If he does go to Utd, wouldn't be at all surprised if Buttner was part of the deal

Your bizarre proposal that Chambers will be some kind of left-back replacement.

I'm saying he has the potential to be. Does a cracking job at right back and has previously been put at left back when Shaw was substituted.

He's 19 and its not like playing left or right sided full back is a transition like goalkeeper to striker. He plays right back, he could, in the future, play similarly well at left back in my opinion.

Have you managed to understand this, fairly straightforward, idea, or is football new to you?

I'm saying he has the potential to be. Does a cracking job at right back and has previously been put at left back when Shaw was substituted.

He's 19 and its not like playing left or right sided full back is a transition like goalkeeper to striker. He plays right back, he could, in the future, play similarly well at left back in my opinion.

Have you managed to understand this, fairly straightforward, idea, or is football new to you?

Bizarre ideas like that aren't particularly new to me, see them popping up on here now and again.

Who we were very close to signing, but Utd pipped us to it..... Our scouting team obviously rate him.

If he does go to Utd, wouldn't be at all surprised if Buttner was part of the deal

I think as they've now seen him in the Premier League they'd realise he isn't what we need. Buttner has looked poor when given the chance at United this season.

stop right there

its manchester ****ing, united

Lord above - how many times do we see people post stuff like this on here ("I'd bite their hand off!...") only to see the player in question go for a lot more. Like I've said many times before, its a good job no-one on here is responsible for the negotiations.

If we got £30 million, and were able to spend it all on new players, AND spent it wisely, we have a stronger team next year than this. However, our record in the transfer market recently is so poor that I doubt we'd spend it wisely.

Let's face it of all the big buys we've made lately only Lovren has been a complete success. Even big Vic is arguably not as good as the player he was apparently bought to replace . Ramirez has been so so. And as for Osvaldo, Mayika, Forren....

Lord above - how many times do we see people post stuff like this on here ("I'd bite their hand off!...") only to see the player in question go for a lot more. Like I've said many times before, its a good job no-one on here is responsible for the negotiations.

Still bitter bout the last time we sold a promising academy left back, to spurs for what seemed a decent enough £7m or so at the time :(

Edit: MLG just pm me to say Joseph Mills was the last academy left back we sold, but he didn't go to spurs for £7m :(

Edited by Bearsy