Saints vs West Ham - Build Up

Lighthouse

A game I think a lot of people will want to win a bit more than usual, or at least I do. Nothing personal against West Ham but it would be nice to be the top promoted side at the end of the year. I also remember a lot of the pundits droning on about how much better they had taken to the Premier League because they were beating Norwich, Villa and QPR whilst we were losing to Utd, City and Arsenal. That annoyed me a bit.

Anyway, same team as today from me. Let's try not to make the mistake we did at Upton Park by going in hard on Carroll all the time. I've never seen a 7ft Geordie fall over like a school girl in a ballet quite so often.

at one stage they were thirteen points ahead of us,what an achievement by our great team to turn that round and as of now be a point ahead and them next up.

everything about them and there fans and manager annoy me

lets hope we batter them next week and put them in their place

I am ready for a big win from Saints..:)

Greedy...Yes I know...:blush:

But would like the mighty Saints to serve up a treat..;)

Top football and Saints to win 4-0 or even 5-0..:D

Sorry if that upsets anyone but I also want Gaston Ramirez to score 3....please.:p

I also want a big win on Euromillions Tuesday or Friday..:rolleyes:.

I was going to try it on with the Missus tonight.....but after careful consideration......Would be pushing my luck a step too far.;)

Edited by ottery st mary

This is a big game for me. I have defended Saints against ridiculously arrogant West Ham (who 1. tell me they should have won the Championship last season, and 2. tell me we will definitely go down. 3. tell me that they have a top 8 team) fans all season.

To finish above them now would be beyond perfect. Smash them in this game - icing on the cake.

I really see this game as a marker of style over substance. West Ham have always traditionally wanted to play flowing football but under Big Fat Sam have found a way to get results by percentages. (Put enough balls in the box and you will score) I feel that West Hams position in the league has flattered them for most of the season. Their home form is the only reason they are so high. Good teams though can easoily stop a route one approach by blocking out the source which is what I expect Schneiderlin, Davies and Cork to do next week.

Equally we need to get down the flanks quickly and mix up our high pressing game with pace running at defenders. If we do that West Ham will not live with us. Our confidence is so high that I predict at least three or more goals for us.

MoPo's interview on Sky before the game yesterday was interesting. When challenged that the team don't do well against the lesser clubs, he explained that it's difficult to press in the opposition half when the ball spends so much time in the air! How this will translate into our game plan for the next game will be interesting.

MoPo's interview on Sky before the game yesterday was interesting. When challenged that the team don't do well against the lesser clubs, he explained that it's difficult to press in the opposition half when the ball spends so much time in the air! How this will translate into our game plan for the next game will be interesting.

Agree with that completely. It will be a tough game.

When I was growing up like most kids I used to enjoy watching the Hammers with player like Moore, Peters & Hurst but now I just hate them I am going for a 3-1 win,

Agreed think the ball will spend a lot of time in the air and a lot of niggle free kicks

Should be a good win for you, J-Rod will get behind their lines and with the form he's in he'll get a few goals too. Would be nice to see Mayuka on the bench and see what he can do in the last half hour if the result seems certain. It's really important you figure out if he can do a job as a backup striker/backup winger before you get to the summer.

I'll go out on a limb and say 3-1. Rodriguez, Lambert, Ramirez

I'm gonna sound like a broken record here, but I really can't see us winning this.

We struggled severely against QPR and Sunderland who both took the Direct approach.

We can't seem to play well against teams that play that way, MoPo said himself after the Reading win 'that's difficult to press in the opposition half when the ball spends so much time in the air!' we couldn't beat Sunderland or QPR who play this way, and West Ham are a much better team than those two.

You just know if they go 1-0 up then they have the defence to defend against us, whoever takes the lead in this game will be key I think, if we score first it could be a relatively easy victory as West Ham would have to attack and therefore semi-abandon the Direct-approach, which would mean they may actually have to play the ball on the floor a bit more...which would play right into our hands as it means we could easily counter-attack them with the pace we've got in the team go up the other end and score.

If they take the lead though I expect a very long-drawn out 'sit back for 90 minutes whilst playing balls upto Carroll' approach.

They're very good at set-pieces (something we're not particularly good at defending at) and they have some decent players. Diame will cause us no end of problems, and players like Carroll have scored for fun against us in the past, he will be a real handful and I think we'll struggle to deal with him.

Can't see anything but a 0-1 West Ham victory at the moment. Seriously hope I'm wrong though! Would be amazing to get to that magical 40 point barrier with 5 games left to play.

It makes me cringe everytime I read 'Oh yeah 5-0 easy win' '3-0 to the mighty saints, we're gonna smash 'em' etc. on here. It is embarassing. Everyone was saying the same before the QPR and Sunderland games as we were on a good run of form back then and we got beaten by them (playing direct). Everyone was saying the same before Reading this weekend gone and we were quite lucky to scrape a victory there too, we were nowhere near as good as we were against Man City/Chelsea/Liverpool.

I also don't get the particular hate of West Ham, they're a cocky arrogant bunch but most 'established' PL clubs' fans are exactly the same. Not really bothered about the way they play, yes it is appalling but I don't pay money for a season ticket to watch that ****e every week so I'm not bothered.

Edited by BlakeySFC

Damn the lot of you.

All this talk of our Style...

Now have this idea of a footballing remake of that bloody PSY song using clips from our games...

Very worried about this game. The result depends on the choice of tactics - no not MoPo but Mrs EoA & her kids - they have to make sure Eric is chained in a room away from a 'puter. As a Plan B we've even told the bouncers at Barasti not to let him in to watch in the pub...

He's missed Citeh, Liverpool, Chelski & Reading games in recent weeks. But watched Newcastle & QPR with us.

A slight tangent but...Manager talking out of his hat shocker...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2013/04/08/3886768/mancini-manchester-united-get-easy-ride-against-scared

"No-one plays well against United because they only play with fear," Mancini is quoted as saying by The Daily Mirror. "United are strong now because of this importance as a team, as a club"

"Every team that plays against United plays very soft because they think this game is difficult, that they can't beat them. It's not true. If you play strong against United, you can beat them."

I can think of one team that hasn't played "very soft" against Man Utd this season...

I'm gonna sound like a broken record here, but I really can't see us winning this.

We struggled severely against QPR and Sunderland who both took the Direct approach.

We can't seem to play well against teams that play that way, MoPo said himself after the Reading win 'that's difficult to press in the opposition half when the ball spends so much time in the air!' we couldn't beat Sunderland or QPR who play this way, and West Ham are a much better team than those two.

You just know if they go 1-0 up then they have the defence to defend against us, whoever takes the lead in this game will be key I think, if we score first it could be a relatively easy victory as West Ham would have to attack and therefore semi-abandon the Direct-approach, which would mean they may actually have to play the ball on the floor a bit more...which would play right into our hands as it means we could easily counter-attack them with the pace we've got in the team go up the other end and score.

If they take the lead though I expect a very long-drawn out 'sit back for 90 minutes whilst playing balls upto Carroll' approach.

They're very good at set-pieces (something we're not particularly good at defending at) and they have some decent players. Diame will cause us no end of problems, and players like Carroll have scored for fun against us in the past, he will be a real handful and I think we'll struggle to deal with him.

Can't see anything but a 0-1 West Ham victory at the moment. Seriously hope I'm wrong though! Would be amazing to get to that magical 40 point barrier with 5 games left to play.

It makes me cringe everytime I read 'Oh yeah 5-0 easy win' '3-0 to the mighty saints, we're gonna smash 'em' etc. on here. It is embarassing. Everyone was saying the same before the QPR and Sunderland games as we were on a good run of form back then and we got beaten by them (playing direct). Everyone was saying the same before Reading this weekend gone and we were quite lucky to scrape a victory there too, we were nowhere near as good as we were against Man City/Chelsea/Liverpool.

I also don't get the particular hate of West Ham, they're a cocky arrogant bunch but most 'established' PL clubs' fans are exactly the same. Not really bothered about the way they play, yes it is appalling but I don't pay money for a season ticket to watch that ****e every week so I'm not bothered.

You have a point, although Allardyce said in his post match comments yesterday that he was looking to get a win so maybe they will play a bit more attacking.

Most probably though they will park the bus and nick it with a set piece goal. Don't like them as a club though, terrible football, annyoying fans, massive debt, mugging off the tax payer for a stadium. Used to like West Ham as they played decent football and brought through youngsters but thanks to fat sam they don't do that anymore.

Should be a good win for you, J-Rod will get behind their lines and with the form he's in he'll get a few goals too. Would be nice to see Mayuka on the bench and see what he can do in the last half hour if the result seems certain. It's really important you figure out if he can do a job as a backup striker/backup winger before you get to the summer.

I'll go out on a limb and say 3-1. Rodriguez, Lambert, Ramirez

J-Rod will not 'get a few goals' against West Ham, and there is no reason to have Mayuka in the 18.

It's strange that you take time to post about another team's forum, but not so surprising it's uneducated drivel.

Tear them a new one and show them how much better we are since that miserable 4-1 away loss at the start of the year!

In reality we just need to keep playing properly (ie defending well when we don't have the ball) and when we do keep attacking like we have been so well recently and it'll be ok....

Blakey....I think I'm right in saying Andy Carroll has never scored against us?!

He hasn't scored against plenty of teams.... :p (including us)

Hardly the best striker out there