Come On You Old Fogies

Gemmel

This forum could do with some fresh blood and the Ron Davies thread proves it's out there!!

So many posts with genuine knowledge, passion and emotion for Ron and Saints, that all seem to have been registered for years, but with very few posts.

Get sharing you greedy b@stards ;);)

Sadly I imagine many are put off by the perpetual bickering, knee-jerk reactions and those who assume their opinions become more special if they post them in every thread, regardless of relevance.

Adding some diversity of content would probably render this place a horrendous time sink, so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

Well ... there is an aura on here that this is a private club for a clique of about 20 people who dominate most of the threads. They just go on and on and on and on, in a kind of closed conversation, and just don't know when to shut up. A thread gets introduced and then is hijacked by the same small group who want to dominate the proceedings. Shut up already! Make your point and then let other people in on the conversation.

Well ... there is an aura on here that this is a private club for a clique of about 20 people who dominate most of the threads. They just go on and on and on and on, in a kind of closed conversation, and just don't know when to shut up. A thread gets introduced and then is hijacked by the same small group who want to dominate the proceedings. Shut up already! Make your point and then let other people in on the conversation.

Yep, that about sums it up.

The other thing is "Oldies" know that there is more to life than their face glued to a tablet phone pc or even the picture box in the corner of the living room as most of them grew up with just 2-3 TV channels that went off air at midnight and during the day, so are able to find other things to do.

I only get distracted whilst working and change channels to here for a break but like others have said there is a small group who seem to have permanent residence on here.

Sadly players like Ron and most of the ones featured in the hard whatsits thread are, in some cases, just a little before my Saints time.

John Boy Saint 483/4. :D

The other thing is "Oldies" know that there is more to life than their face glued to a tablet phone pc or even the picture box in the corner of the living room...3/4. :D

Amen to that, and all other comments. Although you'd also think that the older members would be less influenced by the repetitive types as a result... It would be great to see a wider range of contributions, and less of the attempted point-scoring.

I can remember (just about) during school holidays there would be 20 a side football matches in the car park of us kids in the 60s/70s, we would go there with packed lunches, scrap & autograph books and wait for players to turn up for and leave training. We would form a line and we all got our autograph & scrap books signed can you see the club allowing that sort of thing happen today or come to that parents. Talking of John McGrath I had the pleasure of being in his company about a year before he passed away he may have been a hard man on the pitch but he was a real gentleman.

Edited by Toomer

The other thing is "Oldies" know that there is more to life than their face glued to a tablet phone pc or even the picture box in the corner of the living room as most of them grew up with just 2-3 TV channels that went off air at midnight and during the day, so are able to find other things to do.

I only get distracted whilst working and change channels to here for a break but like others have said there is a small group who seem to have permanent residence on here.

Sadly players like Ron and most of the ones featured in the hard whatsits thread are, in some cases, just a little before my Saints time.

John Boy Saint 483/4. :D

Ditto , Philly 48 and 2/3 ;)

This. I used to go to the Muppet show board to get away from the posters you are referring to, but now even that seems to be dominated by idiots trying to get other banned idiots reinstated.

I have many happy memories watching Ron and my favourite player of all time Steve Mills unfortunately due to age I cant remember much detail.

Love it - I know I've seen Ron and Saints play many, many times but I can't post interesting stuff on here because I've forgotten most of it ! :p

I have many happy memories watching Ron and my favourite player of all time Steve Mills unfortunately due to age I cant remember much detail.

I remember going to Steve Mills testimonial in the 80s but as a player he was before my time. He died tragically young. My father said he was a very fine full back before injury and was on the verge of England recognition. Did anyone see him play and what was he like? How young did he have to retire from the game?

I'd love to see more of these posters on here and far less of the 20 or so boring trolls.

I remember going to Steve Mills testimonial in the 80s but as a player he was before my time. He died tragically young. My father said he was a very fine full back before injury and was on the verge of England recognition. Did anyone see him play and what was he like? How young did he have to retire from the game?

I'd love to see more of these posters on here and far less of the 20 or so boring trolls.

Excellent young left back yes, good in the tackle, good positioning, quick going forward. that said he was part of a very good side that had few weaknesses so it's easier to concentrate on just your own role. Didn't get injured it was an automobile accident on the way home from Portsmouth at night I think. Their just wasn't much personal discipline in football in those days.

Think he tried to make some sort of comeback but it didn't work out at all well and then he got sick but whether that was a result of the accident or not I just don't remember (if i ever knew in the first place).

s

Excellent young left back yes, good in the tackle, good positioning, quick going forward. that said he was part of a very good side that had few weaknesses so it's easier to concentrate on just your own role. Didn't get injured it was an automobile accident on the way home from Portsmouth at night I think. Their just wasn't much personal discipline in football in those days.

Think he tried to make some sort of comeback but it didn't work out at all well and then he got sick but whether that was a result of the accident or not I just don't remember (if i ever knew in the first place).

s

As far as I can remember it was leukaemia.

"So many posts with genuine knowledge, passion and emotion for Ron and Saints, that all seem to have been registered for years, but with very few posts"

Whaddya mean 'very few posts' ? !!

An average of 25 posts per year positively wreaks of verbosity !

As others have said, the constant pointless and childish drivel spouted by a few "look at me" posters is a real turn-off.

Steve Mills IMO one of the greatest young talents to have played for Southampton, I am sure if Steve had lived he would have gone on to have been a legend for the club, a fullback who could play both right and left side and the best thing ever to come out of Portsmouth. There is a good write up on him here http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/fb_news.php?storyid=17213&title=saints_legends_you_have_never_heard_of_part_6.

What all of those above said. This is a tedious place to try to converse these days - dominated by, well, whatever. This oldie's going from 'Full' to '3 a day' only any day soon, and definitely won't miss the hassle.

What all of those above said. This is a tedious place to try to converse these days - dominated by, well, whatever. This oldie's going from 'Full' to '3 a day' only any day soon, and definitely won't miss the hassle.

because the admin won't control the trolls who aren't even interested in Saints.

what you youngsters need to understand is that when Ron arrived 99.9% of supporters had never seen him play, no television showing League 2 football. Hence the exitement at the first game but it did not take long for Paine to cross and Ron to soar.

Going to games in those days., i was , was the only chance you got to see the greats from all clubs. Queing for hours until the gates opened at 1 pm to get a place on the wall.

Kids today have got it easy, no queues, proper toilet, nearly proper food, good view

what you youngsters need to understand is that when Ron arrived 99.9% of supporters had never seen him play, no television showing League 2 football. Hence the exitement at the first game but it did not take long for Paine to cross and Ron to soar.

Going to games in those days., i was , was the only chance you got to see the greats from all clubs. Queing for hours until the gates opened at 1 pm to get a place on the wall.

Kids today have got it easy, no queues, proper toilet, nearly proper food, good view

Kids being passed over the heads of their dads so they could get down the front and the toilets at The Milton End public health would have shut them down today.

But we could always buy a ticket at the turnstiles! Toilets best avoided if you had any olifactory sense though.

they were certainly a bit niffy. Don't think they even gave us tickets, you just paid the guy at the turnstile and walked on in.

No tickets, even games in the late 60's against the Uniteds of this world were pay on the turnstitle, hence why away support at the Dell in those first few years in league 1 was so large.

No tickets' date=' even games in the late 60's against the Uniteds of this world were pay on the turnstitle, hence why away support at the Dell in those first few years in league 1 was so large.[/quote']

Some even said that the gateperson trousered a bit because the turnstile was hard to push through cos he had it only on half open. Doubt that it's true though. There were some awfully big crowds for some games though.

Some even said that the gateperson trousered a bit because the turnstile was hard to push through cos he had it only on half open. Doubt that it's true though. There were some awfully big crowds for some games though.

This was very true. There was a guy on the turnstiles at the Milton Road entrance to the east stand who used his knee to stop the turnstile making a full turn and so stopping it clicking another person in. He would always give you a smile and a cheery word to try and take your mind off what he was doing. He must have made a fortune as well as risking countless lives as under the east would have far more in there than the count told. I don't know how many were on this fiddle but he was probably not alone. My dad told me to force the thing round to make sure the club got the money and not him. I think it used to hurt his knee if you pushed the turnstyle really hard!

This was very true. There was a guy on the turnstiles at the Milton Road entrance to the east stand who used his knee to stop the turnstile making a full turn and so stopping it clicking another person in. He would always give you a smile and a cheery word to try and take your mind off what he was doing. He must have made a fortune as well as risking countless lives as under the east would have far more in there than the count told. I don't know how many were on this fiddle but he was probably not alone. My dad told me to force the thing round to make sure the club got the money and not him. I think it used to hurt his knee if you pushed the turnstyle really hard!

Been to games in the Milton where it was even a bit hard to breathe, sardines had plenty of space in their cans compared to us,

and those abdomen high barriers when everyone surged forward ouchy ouchy.Used to stand behind my then girlfriend cos she had the buffers.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Been to games in the Milton where it was even a bit hard to breathe, sardines had plenty of space in their cans compared to us,

and those abdomen high barriers when everyone surged forward ouchy ouchy.

I remember a game against Chelsea, long before crowd segregation where I spent more time on the ground than stood up in the Milton end. I think it was the time the police searched the Chelsea fans and found all kinds of weapons they were taking in. I was certainly glad to get out alive! Must have been shortly after that the 'away' end was brought in. Life in the Milton was never dull!

Why not set up a new old fogie's section where insults are banned. It might encourage a few of us to post more and have genuine respectful conversations rather than the vile insults that seem to abound on most threads.

I can remember (just about) during school holidays there would be 20 a side football matches in the car park of us kids in the 60s/70s, we would go there with packed lunches, scrap & autograph books and wait for players to turn up for and leave training. We would form a line and we all got our autograph & scrap books signed can you see the club allowing that sort of thing happen today or come to that parents. Talking of John McGrath I had the pleasure of being in his company about a year before he passed away he may have been a hard man on the pitch but he was a real gentleman.
me and my brother were there to get the autographs and still remember being kicked out of the car park by Gordon Honey, the club secretary (?) we would walk up to the Dell from Colebrook Ave,Shirley with some other mates.Carefree times, little buggers though lol

and those abdomen high barriers when everyone surged forward ouchy ouchy.Used to stand behind my then girlfriend cos she had the buffers.

As with others who's power of recall has diminished over the years I seem to have a vague recollection of an evening game in the late sixties against european? opposition where it persisted with rain and everyone tried to shelter at the back of the Milton End. When we scored, the surge practically bent me double over the barrier but then again I might just have dreamt this.

Why not set up a new old fogie's section where insults are banned. It might encourage a few of us to post more and have genuine respectful conversations rather than the vile insults that seem to abound on most threads.

What a good idea! It might even make it worth becoming a 'full member' again.

As with others who's power of recall has diminished over the years I seem to have a vague recollection of an evening game in the late sixties against european? opposition where it persisted with rain and everyone tried to shelter at the back of the Milton End. When we scored, the surge practically bent me double over the barrier but then again I might just have dreamt this.

Was that against Victoria Grameres ? I also recall that night and walking home my shoes saturated and getting a right lashing from our my and dad as they put newspapers in the shoes to dry them out overnight before walking to school the next morning with damp shoes.

What?! You mean that "Old Fogey" values, like reasoned debate and respect for others' opinions, have to be segregated into some quaint, "out-of-touch" ghetto?

I have a better idea - let's restrict all the running-off-at-the-mouth trolls, wums, and rude ars*holes to the Muppet Show, where they obviously belong. If they can't follow the forum's basic rules of on-line etiquette, stick them in a sub-forum for sub-humans. :D Then we can open up the main board and the Lounge to intelligent, respectful conversation.

Problem solved.

What?! You mean that "Old Fogey" values, like reasoned debate and respect for others' opinions, have to be segregated into some quaint, "out-of-touch" ghetto?

I have a better idea - let's restrict all the running-off-at-the-mouth trolls, wums, and rude ars*holes to the Muppet Show, where they obviously belong. If they can't follow the forum's basic rules of on-line etiquette, stick them in a sub-forum for sub-humans. :D Then we can open up the main board and the Lounge to intelligent, respectful conversation.

Problem solved.

I would be more than happy with that!

Hear, hear! On the earlier incarnations all the insults were directed towards the Pompey visitors and occasionally the moderators (both subgroups who could look after themselves), the recent trend of flaming and wind up identities is a pain in the a*se. At least us old timers have opinions on Saints, usually optimistic too ;-)

Was that against Victoria Grameres ? I also recall that night and walking home my shoes saturated and getting a right lashing from our my and dad as they put newspapers in the shoes to dry them out overnight before walking to school the next morning with damp shoes.

That made me laugh. I too went to school the next day with shoes that had that nice residue of what looked like white chalk that boot polish couldn't cover after my dad had dried my shoes all night in front of the fire. You could be spot on with the opposition it rings a bell.

This is a tedious place to try to converse these days - .

This.

I'm surprised the 'hilarious' and 'know-it-all', who are quite as 'hilarious' as they think they are and appear to know-little, haven't turned up on this thread yet.

Hey ho I've made it to 50 and I am very close to retiring....do I care what they think?

I was too young for that game but my brother went - didn't Saints win 5-1 after a 3-3 draw in Portugal - I always remember him laughing and saying when they scored their goal the scorer did about three laps of the Dell, he just reduced the deficit to 3-1!

My brother was 57 on May 16th - bloody hell!

Problem solved.

You know that is one of the best posts I have seen in a while.