Come On You Old Fogies

Gemmel

This forum could do with some fresh blood and the Ron Davies thread proves it's out there!!

So many posts with genuine knowledge, passion and emotion for Ron and Saints, that all seem to have been registered for years, but with very few posts.

Get sharing you greedy b@stards ;);)

less of the old fogie, please. You'll become one - if you live long enough.

all this is history anyway, but if you mean we don't feel forced to comment on every thread there is ....and be the first one to reach 40,000 posts ....then you're right.

We " older fans " might have much to gloat about, but few of the " younger generation " seem very impressed and want to tell us how different the game was then, and how much fitter and faster everyone is nowadays ....

the game was what is was, and we enjoyed it and players like Ron Davies (RIP) ..Terry Paine and John Sydenham made it even more exciting, but you cannnot compare generations....just records.

My father uses to tell me about Ted Drake and Charlie Wayman ..players I never saw and knew little about, but it was interesting to listen to him.

Sadly, the only time these older players are remembered now.......is in an obituary.

What age would you have to have attained to qualify as a 'fogie' ? ( Says he being older than many who have already posted on this thread ).

Maybe we could also open a thread over on 'General Sports' where HCC can be discussed in terms of Andy Roberts, Gordon Greenidge, and Barry Richards.

Edited by badgerx16

1. Why not set up a new old fogie's section where insults are banned. It might encourage a few of us to post more and have genuine respectful conversations rather than the vile insults that seem to abound on most threads.

What's the classification of a fogey btw? I've stopped posting for ages (and I'm youngish) mainly because I expect to have a sarcastic, snide comment attached to any opinion I may have. I'm probably being a bit of a saddo, but it does put me off commenting.

What's the classification of a fogey btw? I've stopped posting for ages (and I'm youngish) mainly because I expect to have a sarcastic, snide comment attached to any opinion I may have. I'm probably being a bit of a saddo, but it does put me off commenting.

I don't think fogey has an age. It should just be for people mature enough to respect other opinions and act in a grown up way when having a considered debate.

Been to games in the Milton where it was even a bit hard to breathe, sardines had plenty of space in their cans compared to us,

and those abdomen high barriers when everyone surged forward ouchy ouchy.Used to stand behind my then girlfriend cos she had the buffers.

That reminded me about my only time in the Chocolate Boxes at the front, (v QPR I think) blimey at the final whistle I felt like one of those Joke Springy Snakes lurking in a can until the lid is unscrewed!!

What age would you have to have attained to qualify as a 'fogie' ? ( Says he being older than many who have already posted on this thread ).

Maybe we could also open a thread over on 'General Sports' where HCC can be discussed in terms of Andy Roberts, Gordon Greenidge, and Barry Richards.

Now you're talking

Richards

Greenidge

Turner

Sainsbury

Jesty

Parks

Marshall

Cowell

Tremlett

Roberts

Not sure that's a real team but we really did under-achieve with that sort of team. (I seem to be missing a middle-order batsmen?)

As a younger Saints fan, having only attended my first match in 2008 it's been great to be able to read so many interesting and informative posts about Southampton's history over the last couple of days. Being born in 88, even MLT's finest work was done before my best recollection of Southampton football begins. So when it comes to Southampton greats my list is limited to a couple who would put their hand up, but probably not compete with the stars of the past, although Rickie must be close..I learnt a lot about our History through books and web sources, but the best source of information has always been through speaking to Southampton fans themselves. On my three trips over to watch Southampton play I've always been interested to hear what the older generations have to say about players from our past. I can only hope the next generation will enjoy hearing about the Rickie Lambert inspired back to back promotions. As stated many times above, I would also be a more active poster if the mod's would remove the clear WUM's and relentless pests from the board. Thanks again guys!

Now you're talking

Richards

Greenidge

Turner

Sainsbury

Jesty

Parks

Marshall

Cowell

Tremlett

Roberts

Not sure that's a real team but we really did under-achieve with that sort of team. (I seem to be missing a middle-order batsmen?)

Richard Gilliat . Captain as well. Also you need Bob Stephenson in place of Bobby Parks to avoid being too modern and its Nigel COWLEY. Dougall was umpiring alast week against Lancs.

Very much agree with the tone of this thread. Apparently I've been a member of this forum for nearly five years but only average 0.06 posts per day. I think the main reason is the tone of many regular posters. I can't be bothered putting something up if somebody's going to respond like that. They're obviously really brave men as well, as talking to someone in that sort of tone face-to-face would merit a smack in the mouth in most pubs I've ever been in. Same rules don't seem to apply when behind a keyboard

Anyway - I don't suppose any of the regulars will be looking at this thread - but if they are, how about some comment? You surely know who you are!

I can only just remember seeing Ron Davies, but I did see Steve Mills, and there was just an enormous sense of excitement as he got the ball and rampaged up the wing. It was so cruel that he never was allowed to fulfil his true potential.

When I first started going, I would sit with my Dad in the East Stand, but as I got older, I wanted to be where the noise was. In our first year back in the First Division 78/79, they did a deal where you could buy a terrace "season ticket" for the six biggest games. My dad bought me one for the Milton, but all the noise was under the West at the Archers end. To get in there, I used to queue up at the Milton before the gates opened, get in the ground, and then climb over the wall at the Milton and into the Under West stand.

One night I particularly remember against Arsenal FA Cup 6th round, the crowd was so tightly packed that when the teams came out and the crowd fell forward, the guy behind me was stood on the edge of the soles of my loafers, and the force of the crowd left me with just the uppers of both shoes, but no soles. It was a difficult conversation with my Dad about how that happened.

Great days though, and was the start of a five year period where I hardly missed a game either home or away.

There is no doubt in my mind that many posters do not bother posting anymore because of the handful out there that have turned this forum into a childs playground. I bet there are loads out there that get truthful snippets of info that they would like to share with fellow Saints fans but do not want the aggravation of getting torn to pieces on here and accussed of lying. I knew over a month ago that Addidas were our new kit provider and i'm sure there were others that new this but choose to keep it to themselves because of the constant sniping on here. I have supported Saints since the early 70'''s so i'm certainly old enough and hopefully wise enough that i don't need to tell stories on a forum just to get attention and make myself feel important. Many more fans would come on here and share their knowledge ans snippets of info if this place was not such a playground!

Now you're talking

Richards

Greenidge

Turner

Sainsbury

Jesty

Parks

Marshall

Cowell

Tremlett

Roberts

My time was about 1960/61 ish....Champions

With players like....

Marshall

Gray

Horton

Livingstone

Burden

Harrison

Sainsbury

Baldry

Barnard

Timms

Wassell

Heath

White...Butch

Shackleton

My all time favourites....Roy Marshall, Henry Horton and the great Derek Shackleton..

NOT forgetting the great skipper in the 60s Colin Ingleby-Mckenzie

Edited by ottery st mary

As a footnote, my first set of Wilson golf clubs were originally Peter Sainsbury's, via the old man who bought them from Peter.

Thanks to everyone who replied on Steve Mills, I never saw him as a player but did go to the charity game in 1988 with Keegan, Bally, Dennis, Channon and others playing. Good to see that the Unit at the General is still going strong. I know my father rated him although his all-time favourites were Big Ron, Ossie, David Peach, Channon, Armstrong and Keegan. My favourites growing up were Moran, D Wallace and obviously Shilts when we bought him at the very start of me supporting Saints. Steve Williams was quality. Ossie was before my time - what do people remember of him? Obviously he's known as one of the 1976 Cup winners - I remember them re-uniting when Jim Steele took over the Chamberlyne Arms in Sholing in the mid-90s. M

Sorry, keyboard slip! I was going to say that my dad remembered Ossie could return any physical stick he took, including a sending off at Blackburn. Did that involve John Bailey? Also, Charlie George was signed for quite a lot of money - didn't he have an accident with a lawnmower or something like that? How did he fare for Saints?

As a footnote, my first set of Wilson golf clubs were originally Peter Sainsbury's, via the old man who bought them from Peter.

Top bloke Peter, his parents were neighbours to my Gran, think he used to live with them at that time, cricket in summer, coal delivery in winter except when he could get a coaching job in South Africa . Used to get us the odd free ticket when I was a small lad.

Richard Gilliat . Captain as well. Also you need Bob Stephenson in place of Bobby Parks to avoid being too modern and its Nigel COWLEY. Dougall was umpiring alast week against Lancs.

Thanks Lets B I was sat here with the picture of him in my head - turned up collars but couldn't get the name...a classic feature of us old Fogies :-).

One of myfirst games at County Ground was v West Indies when Lloyd and Kallicharan scored centuries and Keith Boyce then ripped out our 2 openers.

I forget the team and player but Ron was being too tightly marked ;anyway they both leapt for the ball and Ron threw his head back broke thee oppo's nose then went on to head the ball.........Game over

Was it Ron Yeats of Liverpool? I also remember Ian Callaghan breaking Campbell Forsyth's leg - possibly same match. Can't be certain as the memories fade. Guess I'm just an old fogie then...

Sorry, keyboard slip! I was going to say that my dad remembered Ossie could return any physical stick he took, including a sending off at Blackburn. Did that involve John Bailey? Also, Charlie George was signed for quite a lot of money - didn't he have an accident with a lawnmower or something like that? How did he fare for Saints?

My memory of Charlie George was that he was one of those players who we bought with worn parts (injections to cover injuries having taken its toll) so was not the Charlie George of his Arsenal days but certainly got the crowd a bit more enthused when he was in the line up. And Yup he lost a finger in a lawnmower (which makes my toes curl even typing that). We signed Charlie after the deal for, I think, Colin Todd fell through.

Was it Ron Yeats of Liverpool? I also remember Ian Callaghan breaking Campbell Forsyth's leg - possibly same match. Can't be certain as the memories fade. Guess I'm just an old fogie then...

that was a triple collision between Callaghan, Forsyth and LB Denis Hollywood....all going for the ball at the same time. Would hate to say that Denis was involved, or " to blame "..but few people ever walked away from a tackle from him...

....It was a great pity as Forsyth was a class act, and we had just been promoted to the First Division (read Premier League nowadays) and we didn't get another keeper of his ilk for quite while afterwards, and therefore struggled in those early seasons.

Campbell (Forsyth) carried a bit of weight from the start (13st.+).... and the long lay-off didn't help that problem and he never recovered his great form from the promotion seaosn (65-66).

that was a triple collision between Callaghan, Forsyth and LB Denis Hollywood....all going for the ball at the same time. Would hate to say that Denis was involved, or " to blame "..but few people ever walked away from a tackle from him...

....It was a great pity as Forsyth was a class act, and we had just been promoted to the First Division (read Premier League nowadays) and we didn't get another keeper of his ilk for quite while afterwards, and therefore struggled in those early seasons

Campbell (Forsyth) carried a bit of weight from the start (13st.+).... and the long lay-off didn't help that problem and he never recovered his great form from the promotion seaosn (65-66).

If my memory is correct we brought in John Hollowbread to replace Campbell and I think he had The Sun pub in Romsey for a few years.

If my memory is correct we brought in John Hollowbread to replace Campbell and I think he had The Sun pub in Romsey for a few years.

Campbell Forsyth replaced Hollowbread who did have the pub. Dave MacLaren was signed after the Liverpool game. In goal for Wolves the year before when we won 9-3.

Now you're talking

Richards

Greenidge

Turner

Sainsbury

Jesty

Parks

Marshall

Cowell

Tremlett

Roberts

Butch White

As with others who's power of recall has diminished over the years I seem to have a vague recollection of an evening game in the late sixties against european? opposition where it persisted with rain and everyone tried to shelter at the back of the Milton End. When we scored, the surge practically bent me double over the barrier but then again I might just have dreamt this.

Was that against Victoria Grameres ? I also recall that night and walking home my shoes saturated and getting a right lashing from our my and dad as they put newspapers in the shoes to dry them out overnight before walking to school the next morning with damp shoes.

That made me laugh. I too went to school the next day with shoes that had that nice residue of what looked like white chalk that boot polish couldn't cover after my dad had dried my shoes all night in front of the fire. You could be spot on with the opposition it rings a bell.

Guessing that you're talking about Vitoria Guimaraes - who just beat Benfica in the Portuguese Cup Final, prompting the rumoured job offer to Pochettino. I went to their (presumably new) ground at Euro 2004. It's a fairly small place up in the mountains north of Porto, an hour train trip but only about £3 return, and the pitch is located on top of a shopping centre (the concrete area on the left of this picture).

guimaraes01.jpg

The Saints matches were the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1969/70, scores were right, 3-3 and 5-1 !

Guimaraes has a population of 52,000 and a stadium which holds 30,000.

Edited by The9

Campbell Forsyth replaced Hollowbread who did have the pub. Dave MacLaren was signed after the Liverpool game. In goal for Wolves the year before when we won 9-3.

Thank you Lets B as my first game was way back in October 1959 the memory is not what it was, but I do know we played Swindon that day and we won 6-2 and Derek Reaves got four.

He also ran the one in Portsmouth Rd just up from The Plough.

He ran the Manor pub..for many years after retirement.(knee injury)

Near to The Plough in Old Netley.....with Wife Vera .....

Went to the Sun later? and to Spain

RIP John Hollowbread........Saints team up there in heaven..:)

Edited by ottery st mary

talking of pubs up up in Wetherby near where i live now there was a pub called the George and Dragon run by none other than Jim "to Stokes who's onside, 1-0" McCalliog. I was sad to see that the pub has now shut down, went in there a couple of times years ago and had no idea that it was run by one of the 76 heroes.

I have many happy memories watching Ron and my favourite player of all time Steve Mills unfortunately due to age I cant remember much detail.

Steve did pass away with Leukemia. Ward at Southampton General etc

He had been involved in a very serious car accident which basically curtailed his promising career.

I believe his first team debut was 1974..at Stamford Bridge...We lost 2-1..

Steve joined Saints after playing for Hampshire Schoolboys..Captain..

From Gosport with a grandad John Jock Gilfillan who played 356 games for Pompey etc..

Steve was a great lad and a very talented fullback on the Left or Right..turn of speed..

No doubt in my mind that for the injuries from the accident would have been an England regular for many seasons..

A very good footballer....RIP Steve Mills.:)

talking of pubs up up in Wetherby near where i live now there was a pub called the George and Dragon run by none other than Jim "to Stokes who's onside, 1-0" McCalliog. I was sad to see that the pub has now shut down, went in there a couple of times years ago and had no idea that it was run by one of the 76 heroes.

Jim gave that place up after a divorce, think he's got a pub in Scotland now.

doesn't look any too dusty either.

image_find_us.jpg

Edited by Window Cleaner

well.......not quite Toomer, but then again my memory is a bit off sometimes as well. You may be right about the pub bit ....

but in fact.... Forsyth replaced Tony Godfrey....who had taken over from John Hollowbread after the (Sept.) Dell game v. Coventry. In that game, JH went off after 30 mins. and was so badly injured that he never played again.

In those days there was only ONE sub. (only allowed for serious injury). Ken Wimshurst came on as sub... and Cliff Huxford went in goal, and kept a clean sheet for the rest of the match. Saints won 1-0.

Tony Godfrey played another 14 games, but was subsequently replaced by Forsyth .....who signed in December '65. He was first choice GK for the rest of the season and we eventually won promotion in May 1966. (you remember that bit OK , I'm sure)

Edited by david in sweden

Steve did pass away with Leukemia. Ward at Southampton General etc

He had been involved in a very serious car accident which basically curtailed his promising career.

I believe his first team debut was 1974..at Stamford Bridge...We lost 2-1..

Steve joined Saints after playing for Hampshire Schoolboys..Captain..

From Gosport with a grandad John Jock Gilfillan who played 356 games for Pompey etc..

Steve was a great lad and a very talented fullback on the Left or Right..turn of speed..

No doubt in my mind that for the injuries from the accident would have been an England regular for many seasons..

A very good footballer....RIP Steve Mills.:)

another sad reminder of a great young player...

Steve actually made his debut in a league Cup game in October 1972, but his first (proper) League game was in April 1973...(then aged 19) after having played over 50 Reserve games.

Initially playing at LB , he even played in the RB role in 1974-5, when we had injury / form problems. Such was his success that he was selected for the England U23 side in January 1974 (when just 21)

He was passenger and badly injured in a car crash in February 1975, and was in rehab for over a year. He tried for a comeback in 1976/77 but was never even a shadow of his former self, and had to quit after only 77 apps.

Again, it's difficult to describe him to those who never had the joy of seeing him play. Although he was quite slight (only 5' 7" and barely 10 stone,) he was a ferocious tackler and had a good turn of speed.

At the time of his entry into the side, you might have likened it to the recent emergence of Luke Shaw ........such was his talent. RIP.

I remember queuing outside the Milton Road end as a youngster, I think it was 2/6 to get in. Used to get right down the front and hang my scarf over the wall. One of my most vivid memories was seeing Ron Davies jump to head a ball from a standing start in the six yard box. I swear that his shoulders were level with the crossbar, I can picture it now, that memory has never left me. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Ted Bates used to make him train by jumping over hurdles wearing big, heavy army boots. Other memories that stick in the mind is the smell of liniment as the players ran onto the pitch to the original Match of the Day theme tune (entitled drum majorette). After a few minutes warming up, Eric Martin would throw the practice balls from the goal-mouth into a net bag held by the kit man by the corner flag, he never missed. Eric was a real character, during one game when Saints were on the attack he sat down cross-legged by the penalty spot and started building sand castles!

Big Ron was also a very keen sea angler and had his own fishing boat that he used to take out onto The Solent and round The Needles. Angling Times once did a big feature on him. He also used his boat for occasional trips over to The Island, he once turned up in Yarmouth with the “Alehouse Gang” on board, after a few hours in the King’s Head he presumably managed to navigate back to Southampton safely. Happy days.

another sad reminder of a great young player...

Steve actually made his debut in a league Cup game in October 1972, but his first (proper) League game was in April 1973...(then aged 19) after having played over 50 Reserve games.

Initially playing at LB , he even played in the RB role in 1974-5, when we had injury / form problems. Such was his success that he was selected for the England U23 side in January 1974 (when just 21)

He was passenger and badly injured in a car crash in February 1975, and was in rehab for over a year. He tried for a comeback in 1976/77 but was never even a shadow of his former self, and had to quit after only 77 apps.

Again, it's difficult to describe him to those who never had the joy of seeing him play. Although he was quite slight (only 5' 7" and barely 10 stone,) he was a ferocious tackler and had a good turn of speed.

At the time of his entry into the side, you might have likened it to the recent emergence of Luke Shaw ........such was his talent. RIP.

re Steve Mills.

Many thanks.....:)

Well ... there is an aura on here that this is a private club for a clique of about 20 people who dominate most of the threads. They just go on and on and on and on, in a kind of closed conversation, and just don't know when to shut up. A thread gets introduced and then is hijacked by the same small group who want to dominate the proceedings. Shut up already! Make your point and then let other people in on the conversation.

this

Nice to see so many memories of Steve Mills - my favourite player for a time. Such a promising talent and so sad that his career and then his life were cut short. Does anyone remember another young player who died - Austin Hayes? If I remember correctly he had lung cancer and never smoked in his life. Think he was only about 21.

On a happier note - I love this thread, I don't feel as though I have to be careful what I say!

Nice to see so many memories of Steve Mills - my favourite player for a time. Such a promising talent and so sad that his career and then his life were cut short. Does anyone remember another young player who died - Austin Hayes? If I remember correctly he had lung cancer and never smoked in his life. Think he was only about 21.

On a happier note - I love this thread, I don't feel as though I have to be careful what I say!

If I remember correctly didn't Austin score on his debut? Terrible tragedy.

I became a good friend of Austin's, if I remember rightly he was on holiday in Spain and felt ill, when he returned he went for tests only to discover he had lung cancer and as Ziggy mentioned he never smoked in his life, was extremely fit, he died within a few weeks of being diagnosed, such a tragedy, he was a really nice lad.

I became a good friend of Austin's, if I remember rightly he was on holiday in Spain and felt ill, when he returned he went for tests only to discover he had lung cancer and as Ziggy mentioned he never smoked in his life, was extremely fit, he died within a few weeks of being diagnosed, such a tragedy, he was a really nice lad.

did we not sell him to Millwall ?

Went to the Sun later? and to Spain

RIP John Hollowbread........Saints team up there in heaven..:)

He did indeed run The Sun in Romsey.

My dad worked for Strongs Brewery at the time and Dennis told him how Terry Paine was Ted Bate's blue-eyed boy.

When they arrived for training John would get a curt "Morning, Hollowbread" from Ted whereas with Paine it would be "Good morning, Terry how are you today, son?" Apparently he could do no wrong in Ted's eyes.

Steve Mills was so talented that he would have definitely played for the full England side had he not been involved in that car accident. I believe he broke his hip, which is definitely a career ending injury. After that he reappeared for 2 or 3 more games, one of which was just before the Cup Final I seem to remember. He was a shadow of his former self unfortunately. I loved watching him play, just as we all love watching Luke play now.