The Ashes 2013

St Jim

leaving half way through is a bit gutless IMO

doubt he would be leaving if we were 3-0 up

If he wasn't totally knackered we wouldn't be 3-0 down and if he knows he's knackered and knows he can't contribute and help us save some face in this series he's done absolutely the right thing.

leaving half way through is a bit gutless IMO

doubt he would be leaving if we were 3-0 up

My thoughts as well. He could have chosen a better time and at least finished the series.

The Sydney pitch is often a spinner's paradise. I would have thought he could have waited and retired on a high after that match - or is he also mentally shot and doesn't believe that he is up to it any more??

Annoyed by Swann doing this, and I like him.

Seems a cop out, if he wasn't in the team for the next two tests, he still could have stayed around and helped with advice and in the nets etc.

Edit : and judging by KP press conference, he is annoyed with Swanny as well

Edited by Hatch

OK, it's 1.28am UK time and I'm watching the 5th Test from Sydney.

Watson is out LBW with 2 balls left before lunch, and Australia are 94-4 and on the ropes.

And they all troop off for lunch!

Why - is it some law of the game that has passed me by?

If so, it's wrong.

Next man is is George Bailey - not exactly a brilliant Test record for Australia - you'd think that England would at least try to get him out in the 2 balls left before lunch, he would have had terrific pressure on him.

It has always puzzled me why this happens in Test cricket and I've only been watching it for 50+ years - is it some sort of gentlemanly conduct left over from amateur days?

It's like a Premier League team a goal down with 2 minutes of extra time left saying to their opponents, nah, it's close enough - you win.

Anybody explain?

As you've probably realised it took me half an hour to compose my rant - but I still say that 95-5 at lunch would have been an awful lot better than 95-4, even if there was a miniscule chance of that happening.

Why didn't they at least try?

Still lunch BTW!

Australia's first innings scores :

Brisbane: 100-5 to 295 all out ( Haddin 94, Johnson 64 )

Adelaide: 257-5 to 570-9 dec ( Haddin 118, Clarke 148, Harris 55 ) )

Perth: 143-5 to 385 all out ( Haddin 55, Smith 111 )

Melbourne: 164-9 to 204 all out ( Haddin 65 )

Sydney: 97-5 to 326 all out ( Haddin 75, Smith 115 )

If we could only have found a way to get Haddin out early.

As an Aussie . Used to be called "token" at the team I played at. I am beaming :D our team is shyte. Very good bowling attack but boy our top 5 is suspect. Seriously this was **** week by England 5 zip is demoralising . And. Prove how crap we are we will get pumped by south Africa guaranteed.

And skint. Come on man, youy live in Perth now. Embrace it. Get that half of your brain removed and become an Aussie :D

Don't worry chaps as the ones who got England into the mess are the ones to get them out of it. I am fed up

with this attitude they have already had plenty of time to sort it and they have failed miserably. If they can't get so

called highly professional players to improve they should resign IMHO. Of course some will now just ask "well who

do you think can do any better ?" My answer is I don't know as I no longer follow the UK cricket scene like I used

to years ago - but someone must be able to put names forward surely ?

England coach Andy Flower has vowed to continue in the job despite his side's 5-0 Ashes whitewash in Australia.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/25617773

Well all I can say is that they are very lucky a certain P.L. CEO isn't in charge of UK cricket :lol:

Switched on the 1st ODI.

Oh dear... Aussies cruising at the start chasing down 270.

Stokes comes on, slow bouncer, Warner nicks it. Buttler claims it. Did it Carry?

Half of the Aussie taters say it is out straight away. A dozen replays later they all say it is out. Warner has already walked and is standing at the boundary. 3rd Umpire says not out. :mcinnes:

OK so a tough decision but when things aren't going your way..........

Decided I couldn't be bothered watching the English get hammered yet again so am watching Pakistan vs

Sri Lanka being played in Dubai. Tense game so far.

I have also been watching an Australian 20/20 competition sponsored by a fast food chain and most of

those matches have been very entertaining, perhaps the "Melbourne Stars" team could play for England :lol:

I see some media outlets are bigging up the womens game and how they have gone 1 nil up in the ashes and restored pride in the English game

Sorry if I sound somewhat sexist but there is no way the womens game equates any where near mens cricket. It is a lot slower, theres not the hostility shown like their is in the mens game let alone the history between the two sides.

And how old is the actual ashes test series , some 131 years old , the womens is only about 14/15 years old if that

So excuse me but womans cricket does not equate to anything like the true ashes test series. and more importantly it does not restore any pride to the mens test team

Decided I couldn't be bothered watching the English get hammered yet again so am watching Pakistan vs

Sri Lanka being played in Dubai. Tense game so far.

I have also been watching an Australian 20/20 competition sponsored by a fast food chain and most of

those matches have been very entertaining, perhaps the "Melbourne Stars" team could play for England :lol:

Like the Big Bash League, I catch it when Mrs D_P isn't watching :)

Liked the have to play a fat old fart of last year (the old farts seem to have lost weight this year!) And the whole numpty in the stands waiting for a catch gig. It's almost worth watching the games to see the numpty drop the one ball that will come his way all season.

As for the ODI's here in Dubai - bloody impossible to get a taxi or get a Housemaid to do anything when the games are on!

• 2 weeks later...
Tour has been a complete disaster tbf.

I think you're being kind... it has been an utter shambles. I'm not sure there are the words to do it justice!

What makes it even worse is the complete turnaround since the Summer. Admittedly, anyone could tell Australia were improving after the 2nd test in England, and they were clearly getting stronger again, but to have suffered so many defeats and in the manner they've happened is pretty unprecedented in terms of a turnaround...

What next though?