Southampton Ladies / Lawrie Mac / Sue Lopez

Gemmel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23147072

Interesting article on the BBC.

Having watched the arsenal ladies team on TV a few times (Who seemed to win everything, year in year out) I would cringe at the standard, so I am not convinced by womans football at all (Sorry Sue Whistle) but Sue Lopez was my school teacher and she really was an outstanding footballer and lovely lady as well.

Nice to see her getting some recognition.

Mentioned this before...

In 70s about 78/79...whilst in a club in down town Southampton..met some of the Southampton Ladies football team..

Usual banter re men/ladies standard of football.....some of ladies playing for England a short while later at the Dell.

Went along and watched.....Mightily impressed with the team and particularly some of the Southampton Ladies...Very good standard.

Unable to remember a lot of the names of that era.Apart from Lopez..there was Bucket , Coffin ,Chapman?

As I have said before we have had some right ladies playing for the Saints over the years......Only joking boyz..

Well done the Ladies of Southampton...Hope they get back to the top again one day.

Why?

I was kind of thinking the same. I've watched enough women's football to know that, as a spectator sport, it really isn't for me and I won't bother watching if its on TV. Much like women's tennis; for the most part I find it pretty boring, but even as just a casual tennis fan in general I found today's mens Wimbledon final riveting stuff. Maybe Duncan doesn't like differing opinions to his own; who knows.

Its a shame that Southampton who were totally dominant in England/Scotland in the 1970s and early 80s don't even figure in the top divisions of the womens game nowadays. Southampton are still the 2nd "winningest" team in WFA Cup history, only Arsenal have won more. 4th level in the pyramid, perhaps one day they will get back to where they belong.

Mentioned this before...

In 70s about 78/79...whilst in a club in down town Southampton..met some of the Southampton Ladies football team..

Usual banter re men/ladies standard of football.....some of ladies playing for England a short while later at the Dell.

Went along and watched.....Mightily impressed with the team and particularly some of the Southampton Ladies...Very good standard.

Unable to remember a lot of the names of that era.Apart from Lopez..there was Bucket , Coffin ,Chapman?

As I have said before we have had some right ladies playing for the Saints over the years......Only joking boyz..

Well done the Ladies of Southampton...Hope they get back to the top again one day.

Problem with you ottery...you only know the real old birds..:)

PS ..Did I tell you about the young girl from my office when I was based in London......NO:o

We had a footer game against another office and she was GOOD..really good.

Played for a team called Milwall Lionesses at the weekend.......At one time during the game...I thought she was Terry Hurlock:scared:

Edited by ottery st mary

Sue Lopez was a coach when I did Level 1 & 2 FA Badges. She was excellent and made us all look terrible during brief kick arounds and training drills.

She also hated Rupert Lowe for disbanding Saints Women's team (I believe she was manager at the time?) and wouldn't even allow his name to be mentioned. She'd only refer to him as "that evil man".

Whatever respect I might have had for the women's game has been extinguished by the 'relegation' of Doncaster Belles to make way for Manchester City's women's team (who only finished fourth in their division). I thought the FA were embarrassed with the MK Dons fiasco, so I can't understand why they are determined to make fools of themselves again by promoting franchise-style football.

Whatever respect I might have had for the women's game has been extinguished by the 'relegation' of Doncaster Belles to make way for Manchester City's women's team (who only finished fourth in their division). I thought the FA were embarrassed with the MK Dons fiasco, so I can't understand why they are determined to make fools of themselves again by promoting franchise-style football.

I thought they had endorsed the franchise concept by allowing Lincoln's team to disband/re-locate as Notts County.

I was kind of thinking the same. I've watched enough women's football to know that, as a spectator sport, it really isn't for me and I won't bother watching if its on TV. Much like women's tennis; for the most part I find it pretty boring, but even as just a casual tennis fan in general I found today's mens Wimbledon final riveting stuff. Maybe Duncan doesn't like differing opinions to his own; who knows.

I don't blame people for not wanting to watch it as it is - I very rarely do myself. I just dislike the commonly-held view that it cannot and will never change, that it's the way women are and the game couldn't improve dramatically with government funding and community participation. You only need to look at the success of the United States team, where womens' soccer is very popular, to know that the game can reach higher standards. I know that, like all sport, it will never be on a par with the men's game but that doesn't account for the gulf there is now. Tens of thousands of boys in this country kick a ball about at school because they idolize their heroes in the Premier League, but potential role models for girls (the likes of Faye White, Hope Powell and Alex Morgan in the US) don't have anywhere near the same visibility. If they did, more girls got involved, and had they had comprehensive advanced-level coaching then the game would improve drastically. The idea that football is a man's game is received wisdom - we believe it's the natural order because it's the way it's always been.

• 1 year later...

Just watching the women's football show on telly... Game is definitely improving and becoming more popular... Also good to see England women in both rugby and cricket getting professional contracts... Must be about time Saints started supporting the Southampton ladies team that it abandoned...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually find women's tennis more interesting than men's. The men seem to end up trading shots from the baseline so often that it's dull to watch.