Keeping Track of the Contracts

Over land and sea

I've updated the OP with Will Britt's departure. Looks like Debayo and Flannigan's contracts may not be ending in 2016 after all - they signed extensions in the Cortese days when length of contracts for the U21s was not usually specified so 2016 was an estimate.

Today's announcement is a more limited list of departures than expected because, unlike previous years, it does not mention the scholars who are finishing their two year scholarships. We may need to wait until the Premier League announces the full retained list in June before confirmation of what's happening there, or there may be a separate low key announcement about the scholars. Understandably, I suspect the club is trying to play down the number of departures to avoid unhelpful headlines.

Hopefully at some point the OS profiles for the first team, U21 and U18s will be updated - despite the dramatic improvements in the media side of the club over the last few years the profiles are not usually very up to date or particularly informative. As well as missing players (e.g. Sam Gallagher), the descriptions are rarely updated.

• 3 weeks later...

http://m.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/article.100616-premier-league-clubs-submit-retained-and-released-lists.html

Released and retained lists published in full for each Premier League club. Most of this we knew but there were six players whose contracts were ending in 2016 where the position was not, up to now, clear. Debayo and Flannigan have been offered new contracts. Scholars Lea, Hallett, Clinton and Kayembe are not on the list indicating they have been released (there is no requirement to include released scholars in the released list).

I have updated the opening post. In the absence of any info I have assumed for now that Debayo and Flannigan have been offered a one year extension.

http://m.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/article.100616-premier-league-clubs-submit-retained-and-released-lists.html

Released and retained lists published in full for each Premier League club. Most of this we knew but there were six players whose contracts were ending in 2016 where the position was not, up to now, clear. Debayo and Flannigan have been offered new contracts. Scholars Lea, Hallett, Clinton and Kayembe are not on the list indicating they have been released (there is no requirement to include released scholars in the released list).

I have updated the opening post. In the absence of any info I have assumed for now that Debayo and Flannigan have been offered a one year extension.

Cheers for keeping this up-to-date mate. Very useful indeed.

We really do have a plethora of young defenders on-board. Will be very interesting to see if we start loaning a fair few of them out again.

• 3 weeks later...

Jake Flannigan today signed a one year contract extension (club Twitter page). I've updated the OP

The OS profiles (first team, development and U18s) have all been updated - presumably earlier today to coincide with 1 July which is generally the date old contracts expire and new ones take effect. I don't know whether it it significant but Lloyd Isgrove and Sam Gallagher have not been added back in (mind you the latter has not been listed for months so it's probably just an error). There are a few other oddities as well like Dom Gape listed in both the first team and development and a few over 21s shown in the development squad (notably Stephens, Turnbull, Gape). Stekelenburg has finally been removed.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Original post updated with Reed and Hesketh's contract extensions and to note that Ben Rowthorn has been offered a first pro contract (according to his Twitter account).

Michael Obafemi's squad number also added though there's a bit of confusion as to whether that is 61 (according to OS) or 62 (according to Sky/ESPN/football squads).

• 3 weeks later...
Time for new contracts for Romeu (!) and Yoshida. They definitely deserve it, if they want it.

Maya probably picking his moment, if he becomes first choice after this window he will be in a strong negotiating position he'd be silly to sign now. Romeu worries me but then so would any key first team player who's contract was fast expiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Stuart Taylor

Cuco Martina

Jason McCarthy

Jake Flannigan

Lloyd Isgrove

I wonder if any of these guys will get extensions?

McCarthy has had a couple of really good loan spells out so he probably has the best chance of a new deal. Jake's had a bad time with injuries.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Our two loan players ie Hassen and Caceras - Are they still on loan (and on pay) or have they now departed the building?

Contracts generally run until the end of June so I guess they will technically be here until then.

Our two loan players ie Hassen and Caceras - Are they still on loan (and on pay) or have they now departed the building?

Players under contract get paid until the end of June irrespective due to the way football contracts work, clicking over on June 30. Caceres will be getting paid still, because he isn't a loan, he was a 6 month contract.

Hassen was a loan, but is contracted to someone else, so depending on the agreement either us or them could be paying the wages. I'm guessing them, as we'd have no reason to pay for a loan player when we don't have any matches left in his loan term unless they insisted upon it as a condition of the loan.

I have updated the opening post.

Today's announcement covers only pro players being released. This implies that other pro players who are out of contract are being offered a new deal (Taylor, J McCarthy and Flannigan). Whether they sign then is another matter.

Today's announcement does not cover 2nd year scholars out of contract but there are 6 of these. In reality most if not all of these have not featured for the U18s since the early part of 2017 and may already have found new clubs.

In early June the Premier League will publish a full list of released and retained players for each PL club. Each player will either be listed as 'retained', 'released' or 'contract offered'. We may need to wait until then for confirmation of the 3 out of contract pros and the 6 2nd year scholars.

I strongly suspect this approach is designed to try to avoid headlines such as 'Saints usual big summer exodus begins.'

Edited by Over land and sea

I have updated the opening post.

Today's announcement covers only pro players being released. This implies that other pro players who are out of contract are being offered a new deal (Taylor, J McCarthy and Flannigan). Whether they sign then is another matter.

Today's announcement does not cover 2nd year scholars out of contract but there are 6 of these. In reality most if not all of these have not featured for the U18s since the early part of 2017 and may already have found new clubs.

In early June the Premier League will publish a full list of released and retained players for each PL club. Each player will either be listed as 'retained', 'released' or 'contract offered'. We may need to wait until then for confirmation of the 3 out of contract pros and the 6 2nd year scholars.

I strongly suspect this approach is designed to try to avoid headlines such as 'Saints usual big summer exodus begins.'

Can only assume that's down to the penalty plan he came up with at Anfield....

If what I have written above is right we currently have 28 players that qualify as over 21 next season and can name only 25 of them in our PL squad. So sales and or loans will be needed if we are to bring new signings in. On the plus side we are in a good position for Home Grown players as 16 of the 28 are home grown.

The 28 are:

1. Fraser Forster (Home Grown (HG) Association 1)

2. Cédric Soares

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jordy Clasie

5. Jack Stephens (HG club 1)

6. Virgil van Dijk

7. Shane Long (HG Association 2)

8. Steven Davis (HG Association 3)

9. Jay Rodriguez (HG Association 4)

10. Charlie Austin (HG Association 5)

11. Dušan Tadić

12. Matt Targett (HG club 2)

13. Alex McCarthy (HG Association 6)

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Florin Gardoș

16. James Ward-Prowse (HG club 3)

17. Sam Gallagher (HG club 4)

18. Harry Reed (HG club 5)

19. Sofiane Boufal

20. Monolo Gabbiadini

21. Ryan Bertrand (HG Association 7)

22. Nathan Redmond (HG Association eight)

23. Pierre Højbjerg

24. Jason McCarthy (HG club 6)

25. Paulo Gazzaniga

26. Jérémy Pied

27. Sam McQueen (HG club 7)

28. Stuart Taylor (HG Association 9)

Currently for PL, clubs must name a 25-man squad of players who do not qualify as Under 21, at least 8 of whom must be home grown players who have been registered with any club affiliated with the FA or Welsh FA for three entire seasons or 36 months before turning 21 (or leave empty spots), plus unlimited players who qualify as Under 21s. There is no requirement to split between Association trained and club trained as there is in Europe.

Edited by Over land and sea

If what I have written above is right we currently have 28 players that qualify as over 21 next season and can name only 25 of them in our PL squad. So sales and or loans will be needed if we are to bring new signings in. On the plus side we are in a good position for Home Grown players as 16 of the 28 are home grown.

The 28 are:

2. Cédric Soares

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jordy Clasie

6. Virgil van Dijk

11. Dušan Tadić

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Florin Gardoș

19. Sofiane Boufal

20. Monolo Gabbiadini

23. Pierre Højbjerg

25. Paulo Gazzaniga

26. Jérémy Pied

Currently for PL, clubs must name a 25-man squad of players who do not qualify as Under 21, at least 8 of whom must be home grown players who have been registered with any club affiliated with the FA or Welsh FA for three entire seasons or 36 months before turning 21 (or leave empty spots), plus unlimited players who qualify as Under 21s. There is no requirement to split between Association trained and club trained as there is in Europe.

Certainly no shortage of potential departures from that lot. A fair few have been linked with moves already.

Certainly no shortage of potential departures from that lot. A fair few have been linked with moves already.

Gazzaniga, Gallagher and Stuart Taylor get us down to 25 without any impact on the first team, plus we have Gardos in hand too...

The 28 are:

2. Cédric Soares

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jordy Clasie

6. Virgil van Dijk

11. Dušan Tadić

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Florin Gardoș

19. Sofiane Boufal

20. Monolo Gabbiadini

23. Pierre Højbjerg

25. Paulo Gazzaniga

26. Jérémy Pied

Is that list any indication of next year's squad numbers, or just coincidence that some have changed?

Is that list any indication of next year's squad numbers, or just coincidence that some have changed?

I think they've just filled some blanks by moving players up. Have to say I hadn't spotted it originally.

I think they've just filled some blanks by moving players up. Have to say I hadn't spotted it originally.

Was just thinking that if it was, it gives an indication on the club's intentions for staff for next season. Sam G wearing 17? That'd suggest that not only is he staying, that the club plan to use him. Likewise Stephens wearing no.5 (in place of Gardos @ 15.) Targett @ 12 and, perhaps cruically, VVD moved up to no.6!

Could be nothing, but it seems a bit too coincidental at the moment, to me anyway.

edited to add: I'm assuming that list was lifted from a more official source BTW, not just typed out on here by the OP.

Was just thinking that if it was, it gives an indication on the club's intentions for staff for next season. Sam G wearing 17? That'd suggest that not only is he staying, that the club plan to use him. Likewise Stephens wearing no.5 (in place of Gardos @ 15.) Targett @ 12 and, perhaps cruically, VVD moved up to no.6!

Could be nothing, but it seems a bit too coincidental at the moment, to me anyway.

edited to add: I'm assuming that list was lifted from a more official source BTW, not just typed out on here by the OP.

I'm assuming it was the OP TBH. Though the "homegrown" flags show why we might keep Long and Rodriguez compared to more expensive non-HG replacements. It also explains part of the decision around Stephens...

It's not an indication of squad numbers. The quickest way of writing a 1 to 28 list was to use existing numbers and then fill in the gaps with players whose number was higher than 28. Not sure why I put Stephens and Van Dijk at 5 and 6 on that basis - I probably wanted to put a centre half at vacant #6 but why I swapped Gardos out I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.premierleague.com/news/408901

A full retained list has been published on the Premier League site. I have updated the opening post.

Highlights

Pros offered contracts

Stuart Taylor

Jake Flannigan

Note Jason McCarthy is not on the list of those offered new contracts but is on the list of those retained so either he's already signed a new contract or he wasn't out of contract

Scholarships extended

Ben Cull

Dan Nlundulu

Scholars offered pro deals

Ben Rowthorn

Siph Mdlalose

Nathan Tella

Pros released

Martin Caceres

Cuco Martina

Harley Willard

Lloyd Isgrove

Scholars released

Neal Osborne

Rugare Musendo

Connor Langan

Archie Thomas

A full retained list has been published on the Premier League site. I have updated the opening post.

Highlights

Pros offered contracts

Stuart Taylor

Jake Flannigan

Note Jason McCarthy is not on the list of those offered new contracts but is on the list of those retained so either he's already signed a new contract or he wasn't out of contract

Scholarships extended

Ben Cull

Dan Nlundulu

Ben Rowthorn

Siph Mdlalose

Nathan Tella

Pros released

Martin Caceres

Cuco Martina

Harley Willard

Lloyd Isgrove

Scholars released

Neal Osborne

Rugare Musendo

Connor Langan

Archie Thomas

Awesome work, mate.

Highlights

Pros offered contracts

Stuart Taylor

Jake Flannigan

Scholarships extended

Ben Cull

Dan Nlundulu

Ben Rowthorn

Siph Mdlalose

Nathan Tella

Pros released

Martin Caceres

Cuco Martina

Harley Willard

Lloyd Isgrove

Scholars released

Neal Osborne

Rugare Musendo

Connor Langan

Archie Thomas

Glad to see Jake has been offered another deal, which came as a surprise to me, and probably to him as well if I'm being honest. A local lad who suffered a horrible injury a while back. Looks like the club see something in him and are giving him a chance.

I'll be surprised if he makes it at us, but hopefully he'll have a successful career in a lower division.

• 3 weeks later...