Football Manager 2014

Matthew Le God

Yep - couldn't stop it updating because as soon as I loaded steam to turn off auto updates, it started up dating. 4 games in, 1 home match I should have won - drawn, out of the champs league and 3 defeats. Cheers Dobs!

I am not against an update, just don't want to update something that will mess with the match engine at a key point of the season. I hate you football manager.

• 1 month later...

In my third season with Saints:

2013/2014:

6th - Premier League

Winners - FA Cup (beating Arsenal 2-1)

4th round - Capital One Cup

Top goal scorer - Andre Ayew 13

Top rating - Dejan Lovren 7.59

2014/2015:

(Katarina injected an additional £40m into the bank to top up my £18m, safe to say I went on a mad one) Lukaku, Ranocchia, Zieler, Subotic, Walcott and Barkley all joined the squad. I made £11m by shipping out the likes of Sharp, Fonte, Cork, Davis, Gazzaniga, Lambert, Boruc. Then imagine the smile on my face when Valencia offer £17m upfront for Dani Osvaldo!

Winners - Charity Shield (beating Man Utd 1-0)

6th - Premier League

semi-finals - FA Cup

Winners - Capital One Cup (beating Everton 5-4 pens)

Winners - Europa League (beating Barcelona 2-0 in Tibillsi)

2015/2016:

I had all of Europe's big boys sniffing around twelve of my squad so decided to cash up and play with the strategy of only using English players from the academy. We raked in a whopping £292M in one window. Luke Shaw and Victor Wanyama headed off to Paris for a combined £70m, Lukaku joined Juventus after they matched his minimum fee of £35m Lovren joined Inter for £28m and Ranocchia headed off to Madrid for £25m. Andre Ayew joined Atheltico for £17m whilst Morgan signed for A.C Milan £29m. Gaston also departed for Italy for a fee of £29m and Martinez headed back to Porto for £11m. Finally Robert Zieler signed with Dortmund for £19m and Neven Subotic left for Spurs all in one summer.

I brought a couple of English players in to back up the squad (Ryan Bertrand, Alex McCarthy GK, Will Hughes, Eric Dier, Magnus Thomas).

Team currently looks like:

McCarthy

Clyne Chambers Dier Bertrand

Ward-Prowse Reed

Walcott Lallana/Barkley Simms

Gallagher/Jay Rodriguez

We have a Super Final versus Juventus coming up but have to play Liverpool and Cardiff first in the league.

If someone can share how I can upload screenshots, I will.

Not too sure how I feel about this.

I recently made the leap, and became a mac guy. Transferred over my Derby file and cracked on.

Had a decent summer after a 3rd place finish, with some good acquisitions and came flying out the traps. Looked set to have a real go at the title.

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen, I had my bag stolen and the beautiful brand new mac book was gone :( (along with iPad & headphones - the latter of which were a very nice xmas present).

After a period of mourning (yes I became one of those guys very quickly, back on my knackered old dell now and I positively hate it), I decided to boot up the file from where I was.

Miraculously had a storming end to the previous season, and won the league (also thanks to Arsenal unexpectedly losing to an already relegated Sunderland on the final day).

Gone an an epic spending spree, though squad looks pretty similar as it did prior to the loss of the macbook.

Does this consist as cheating?

Anybody given the Vita version of Football Manager Classic 2014 a go? By all accounts it's a faithful recreation of the PC version (and has cross-save functionality) but is slower and requires a stylus to get the best out of it.

I'm teetering but we've never had a speedy PC at home so I haven't ever been bitten by the FM bug. Bit worried that I'll either get bored quickly or, worse, my life will flash by as a montage of stats screens...

Not too sure how I feel about this.

I recently made the leap, and became a mac guy. Transferred over my Derby file and cracked on.

-1000 geek points

+1000 twát points

Had a decent summer after a 3rd place finish, with some good acquisitions and came flying out the traps. Looked set to have a real go at the title.

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen, I had my bag stolen and the beautiful brand new mac book was gone :( (along with iPad & headphones - the latter of which were a very nice xmas present).

After a period of mourning (yes I became one of those guys very quickly, back on my knackered old dell now and I positively hate it), I decided to boot up the file from where I was.

Miraculously had a storming end to the previous season, and won the league (also thanks to Arsenal unexpectedly losing to an already relegated Sunderland on the final day).

Gone an an epic spending spree, though squad looks pretty similar as it did prior to the loss of the macbook.

Does this consist as cheating?

Your time. Your money. Do as thou wilt.

I'm amazed anyone has the time to play this without cheating.

-1000 geek points

+1000 twát points

I know, I know. I swore I'd never be one of those guys, but it was actually my work PC (they were super pleased that that and the iPad they got me were taken). Does that make it less bad?

That said, I still bloody loved it.

...plus we all know I'm a twàt anyway.

Your time. Your money. Do as thou wilt.

I'm amazed anyone has the time to play this without cheating.

I don't see the point in cheating. It's just pointless, where is the challenge?

This wasn't intentional.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

I know, I know. I swore I'd never be one of those guys, but it was actually my work PC (they were super pleased that that and the iPad they got me were taken). Does that make it less bad?

That said, I still bloody loved it.

Yes, it does make it slightly better :)

tbh, I may well get a Mac at some point to complement my existing setup. They are pretty nice machines for everything apart from gaming or Android connectivity; I've still got the PCs for everything else.

I don't see the point in cheating. It's just pointless, where is the challenge?

This wasn't intentional.

I'm with you on almost every other game (unless it's broken!). However, with FM I genuinely feel like it can be too damn random. Oh, didn't win anything this year? Never mind; just spend another 14 hours of real time trying next year, yeah?

I've long said I'd like a mini-version of Football Manager (smaller than classic, even) that just tells me how great I am at managing football teams, even though it's demonstrably untrue.

I was reluctant at first, but the love was pretty instantaneous. They gave me a pro, and it was just great. I only played a few games on there, and had no problems with any of them - though appreciate there may be trouble with some games.

I guess the android thing could be annoying, though work provide me a phone and tablets which are both apple - so the syncing was pretty good (I know, I'm weak, I'm easily bought with shiny things).

Also, I'm aware I referred to my mac as my work PC, FFS KRG :mcinnes:

Anybody given the Vita version of Football Manager Classic 2014 a go? By all accounts it's a faithful recreation of the PC version (and has cross-save functionality) but is slower and requires a stylus to get the best out of it.

I'm teetering but we've never had a speedy PC at home so I haven't ever been bitten by the FM bug. Bit worried that I'll either get bored quickly or, worse, my life will flash by as a montage of stats screens...

I've got it, been playing it to death since release and it's awesome. I've not had a FM game since 09 as don't have time to sit at my PC, but being able to play it anywhere now is brilliant.

The interface is a little tricky to get used to, but once you figure out how to do everything it's fine. I don't use a stylus but then I don't have fat fingers...

Matches can be quite slow, but the fact a full version of classic is running on the vita is amazing.

So far I've taken Saints to the bottom of the league with a 14 game winless run resulting in my resigning and starting a new game...

Went for Eastleigh and won the league and got to fa trophy semis. Now am in the conference and am top after 23 games, and just drew at home to the dirty skates in the Fa Cup 2nd round.

Started a game a few weeks ago, and just finished my first season in 9th. Slightly disappointing but considering I lost Rodriguez, Schneiderlin, Lovren and Ramirez to proper injuries (minimum 5 months!!) by October, it could have been worse. Lambert has scored 33 goals for me this season (28 in the Prem in 35 games) which has been a highlight. Signed Fraser Forster in the January window, turns out he's utter sh!te. JWP has also done very well for me considering he's been shunted into whatever midfield position I was strugglling to fill.

Got Manual Fernandes coming in on a free in the Summer, he's got decent stats so hoping he'll do a good job for me. Just waiting to see what money I have available to spend before doing a clear out of the remaining players I couldn't rid myself of the previous year.

I've got it, been playing it to death since release and it's awesome. I've not had a FM game since 09 as don't have time to sit at my PC, but being able to play it anywhere now is brilliant.

The interface is a little tricky to get used to, but once you figure out how to do everything it's fine. I don't use a stylus but then I don't have fat fingers...

Matches can be quite slow, but the fact a full version of classic is running on the vita is amazing.

So far I've taken Saints to the bottom of the league with a 14 game winless run resulting in my resigning and starting a new game...

Went for Eastleigh and won the league and got to fa trophy semis. Now am in the conference and am top after 23 games, and just drew at home to the dirty skates in the Fa Cup 2nd round.

Class, will give it a go then. Seen lots of people say they'll wait until FMC 15 comes out on the Vita with the inevitable refinements, but unless sales of this version are good I'm worried Sega won't give it the green light.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two formations I flit between depending on injuries/fitness/form/opponent. Both working quite well for me at the moment.

4231:

Sweeper keeper

Cwb bpd bpd cwb

Rga/dlp anchor

Treq AM/SS Treq

AF/TM

Usually go Control, fluid. High Tempo, pressing, hassle, retain possession, short passing, overlap, roam. It's risky, can come unstuck sometimes bit have doled out some impressive spankings.

Also use 41212:

Sweeper Keeper

Cwb bpd bpd cwb

Anchor

B2b dlp

Treq

TM AF

Can't remember instructions on this one, though it is a bit more reserved. Usually counter attacking.

I started with Saints and come 5th in my first season and won the league cup

I took over arsenal around xmas in my second season and qualified for the CL after they were having a mare.

I am now about to start my 5th season having just won the league and the CL.

I have just got the England job too

my team

-----------------------Szchezney (sweeper keeper)

--------------------Marquinhos (CB) Stones (CB)

Coleman (CWB)--------------Matic (HB)---------------------Gibbs (CWB)

--------------------Henderson (CM) Wilshere(CM)

-------------------------------Ozil (AP)

----------------Lukaku (P)-----------Rooney (AF)

Subs

Trapp (GK)

Zouma

Oviedo

Will Hughes

Ibrahimovic

Matuidi

Ramsey

I do notice that you HAVE to change/tweak your tactics at the start of every season.