The Official Unofficial Glastonbury 2014 thread.

swannymere

They're headlining Sonisphere, which means that if people know they're going to Glasto, they might not go there.

Really?

There isn't a huge overlap, is there?

If it was Download & Sonisphere, maybe. Anyway, it's not like you can go oh actually I'm going to go Glasto instead now. It's sold out!

yes, I know there is a re-sale, but it is nigh on impossible to get tickets through that. Really can't see how Sonisphere's ticket sales would be hit by a Glasto announcement

Really?

There isn't a huge overlap, is there?

If it was Download & Sonisphere, maybe. Anyway, it's not like you can go oh actually I'm going to go Glasto instead now. It's sold out!

yes, I know there is a re-sale, but it is nigh on impossible to get tickets through that. Really can't see how Sonisphere's ticket sales would be hit by a Glasto announcement

I'd go to either.

NME state that third headliner can't be announced yet for contractual reasons. This implies that someone stands to lose if the third headliner is announced, especially since the embargo is being enforced.

I'd go to either.

NME state that third headliner can't be announced yet for contractual reasons. This implies that someone stands to lose if the third headliner is announced, especially since the embargo is being enforced.

Don't be so facetious Paps, you know what I mean.

I'm not saying no-one whatsoever would be interested in both, but the overlap is pretty small.

Sonisphere is not going to lose droves of potential customers over one act being at Glasto. If Sonisphere has already announced Metallica, the people that may have gone there have had ample opportunity to buy tickets for it, whilst as I said, Glasto is sold out.

Spent some of my evening perusing various Glastonbury sites, amd I thought I would share this little nugget with you guys from an eFestivals thread about bizarre Glastonbury moments:

Our group one year took 300 pairs of childrens sunglasses, very small ones, gave them out to everyone in the dance tent and told them their heads had grown

:lol: :lol:

Just for any casual browsers passing by who don't have tickets.

The resale is next week 24/27 April. It is next to impossible to get tickets at this time in the general sale.

However last couple of times I have got tickets for pals by going straight to the combined Coach & Festival tickets.Sure you have to get to London or somewhere unaccessible at silly o'clock and are only allowed one bag BUT you can buy gear at the site OR get a mate to take it down for you as we did last time we went.

Just an idea

I saw that on Twitter earlier on, could be very interesting indeed! Doesn't Noely Noely have a dislike of Glastonbury though?

I did catch some of Beady Eye's "surprise" set opening The Other Stage last year though, and they were utter gash. We all know that Noel is the heart and soul of Oasis though, so it could be a good'un!

Got my Libertines tickets today. Mate's/acquaintance's band are also on the line up. Spoke with him on facebook over the weekend and he said there was no info on Libertines also doing Glastonbury but who knows as Pete changes his mind from day to day.

I still can't decide whether to get them or not tokes.

Which band is your mate in, out of interest?

haha that bad? Don't worry, I won't be offended. I know Phil reasonably well and the tight arse still owes me money so I have been known to say some pretty negative things myself.

Nothing about the guys personally, they just aren't really my kind of band. I don't really like that 'lad rock' thing.

I saw them as a support act once, I don't know if they had sound issues, or just an off day - I just wasn't really impressed.

That said, Wide Awake is a tune.

Emily Eavis has ruled out Oasis and says the third headliner is one of the biggest-selling bands in the world at the moment.

Daft Punk? Coldplay? Not sure Metallica would fit that too obviously.

Please let it be Foo Fighters.

Give this lad a year or two....

Yeah yeah Reality TV bullkrap and all that, but this lad has popped up on the US American Idol and at 23 has made it into the top 4 and whether he wins or not is irrelevant, with his voice & attitude has one hell of an opportunity ahead of him to keep Metal alive.

Caleb Johnson does Whitesnake - Still of the Night. Just love this lad to death for sticking to his Metal roots every week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iH0mMJvmtTo

Give this lad a year or two....

Yeah yeah Reality TV bullkrap and all that, but this lad has popped up on the US American Idol and at 23 has made it into the top 4 and whether he wins or not is irrelevant, with his voice & attitude has one hell of an opportunity ahead of him to keep Metal alive.

Caleb Johnson does Whitesnake - Still of the Night. Just love this lad to death for sticking to his Metal roots every week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iH0mMJvmtTo

Metal is still alive, Phil. You're just rusty.

Metal is still alive, Phil. You're just rusty.

Aye, it's just that over here the Radio stations only play RnB or Hip Hop for the Homies, so unless we have time to tune in to Polish or Beeb Radio stations online at the weekends it is tough.

We do have some Metal fans here and have had a bunch of classic names touring inc Sabbath in a few weeks, one band we won't be seeing again over here are The Scorpions

http://www.webpronews.com/scorpions-drummer-jailed-for-a-month-in-dubai-2014-04

Scorpions drummer James Kottak was arrested at Dubai International Airport for drunk and disorderly conduct on April 3, and was sentenced to 30 days in jail for the crime of insulting Islam. According to Dubai state-run newspaper The National, Kottak flipped the bird and mooned other travelers while in an airport transit hall.

Kottak told police he had taken a wrong turn on his way to a Formula One grand prix gig in Bahrain, and subsequently denied flashing his middle finger, dropping his pants or insulting Islam.

A witness described as ‘Officer AA’ said he heard Kottak saying “what is this disgusting smell?” before insulting Islam. “I didn’t see anything else but I heard him. I then informed my supervisor, who came and took the defendant away,” AA added. A Jordanian passenger services agent called ‘AB’ said that Kottak was shouting “non-educated Muslims” and then gave other passengers the middle finger.

Kottak has been sitting in a Dubai jail since the incident, and will soon be released, having logged some time served. Kottak did plead guilty to being intoxicated without a license, and paid a fine of roughly $550. The drummer also explained that he was merely showing people his back tattoo, not mooning. During his misdemeanor trial, Kottak’s attorney Hamid Al Khazraji told the judge, “Their testimonies are contradictory, your honor.”

Scorpions are a German rock band formed in 1965, and have sold between 75 and 100 million records worldwide. Here is a bit of a Scorpions refresher:

Lol & Duh.

Actually, they'd be a decent band for Glasto

Aye, it's just that over here the Radio stations only play RnB or Hip Hop for the Homies, so unless we have time to tune in to Polish or Beeb Radio stations online at the weekends it is tough.

We do have some Metal fans here and have had a bunch of classic names touring inc Sabbath in a few weeks, one band we won't be seeing again over here are The Scorpions

http://www.webpronews.com/scorpions-drummer-jailed-for-a-month-in-dubai-2014-04

Lol & Duh.

Actually, they'd be a decent band for Glasto

A lot of the most musically interesting metal turns people off straight away because growly singers are quite the rage.

What really happened with metal is that it splintered. That's natural; would any band apart from Iron Maiden get away with being Iron Maiden right now? Most of the hair-bands from the 1980s would be herded into re-education camps on account of their misogynist lyrics.

I'm sure we'll swing back to what it was at some point; there'll be a hard rock Oasis, looking and sounding a lot like AC/DC, and people will be thrilled.

Course, all of this is irrelevant the moment humanity unearths the Wyld Stalliions tunes, buried somewhere out there in San Dimas.

Well won't have to trudge across fields to see Fatboy Slim...

Couple of Dubai Saints seeing him on the beach tomorrow.

Interesting it has taken 2 years for Foster the People to reach the Other Stage & the Kaiser Chiefs to fall down to the John Peel.

Elbow top of our list Arcade Fire Metallica Dolly Parton Robert Plant Jake Bugg Interpol MGMT FtP Brian Ferry. (Note The Beat were bloody great at Salisbury City Hall back in February.)

Then the arguments Ellie Golding The Wailers Lana Del Rey Ed Sheeran Lily Allen & Imagine Dragons.

I REALLY wanted to see Rudimental when they were here with Nile Rodgers but lost that "discussion" and had to see JLo (again) & we missed De la Soul who were supposedly excellent due to Hair Dryer Issues.

Report back on tomorrow's trip to see The Pet Shop Boys, Scouting for Girls & FatBoy when I sober up on Saturday

Yeah that's a good weekend.

We've already started sorting our kit out. 5 weeks until we leave for Provence in a tent for a week then up to home to pack the mate's Glamper Van with our gear (we're in a tent) and you try and get 2 weeks camping kit maps and stuff into 2 x 23Kg bags!

Edited by dubai_phil

I know that's probably not the full line up, but there's a right load of toss on it. John Peel would be turning in his grave if he knew Kaiser Chiefs were headlining his stage.

Yup, that's probably the worst line-up since i've been going (2007-present). Still an incredible weekend though, and there's enough bands on there to make it a great festival - can't anticipate a lot of clashes for me though..

PS: Glastonbury clashfinder has been updated with some provisional times to give us an idea of how things are going to pan out over the main stages:

http://clashfinder.com/s/g2014/

My Friday and Saturday evenings will be spent at the Pyramid and actually looking forward to Sunday too - Wailers, Bonobo, and Disclosure one after the other!

Edited by SuperMikey

If people are narked about Metallica, let me just say this. I was offered a spare Metallica ticket when I was 14, with only really G'N'R and the like in my locker. Knew I had to get through some of their albums; managed two. Like going through soup. Nothing really registering for the first six or seven listens, but when it clicks, it stays. They are fúcking awesome live. This'll be my 4th time.

Haven't seen them with the newest bassist.

They can do it live, and will win a lot of naysayers into the bargain. Seek and Destroy is fantastic. Some notion of the setlist should be floating about soon, if it isn't already. Get on it people, because they really don't disappoint. All you have to do to enjoy it is have a bit of music pre-loaded in your head.

Also, Master of Puppets is a superb album. If you can stand that, it's follow-up ...And Justice For All, chock-full of relatively long tracks, is also really good, if not exactly perfect for Glasto. This track is musically excellent though; and was their first single (+6 years after their first album).

[video=youtube;WM8bTdBs-cw]

Not a bad first video, either.

Yup, that's probably the worst line-up since i've been going (2007-present). Still an incredible weekend though, and there's enough bands on there to make it a great festival - can't anticipate a lot of clashes for me though..

Oh yeah, of course there's enough for a weekend but I expect more from a festival that size and having Kasabian as the Sunday headliner is akin to starting to tidy your house when you want the guests to leave after a party.

To be honest I can't be arsed with the size of the place. Jumped the fence a couple of times in the 90's and had a decent enough time but it's not for me. I much prefer smaller festivals like Green Man and EOTR.

As for Metallica, yeah they will put on a good show but like many bands still going after years are now like a tribute band to themselves. Some of their later albums are complete dross. Hopefully they'll play loads of stuff from Kill Em All and Master of Puppets to confuse the crowd, plenty of whom will be just waiting for Enter Sandman. I just heard Michael Eavis on 6Music justifying their presence by saying people who go to Glastonbury are always asking him when Metallica are going to play (hmm) and that they have a history of metal bands because Hawkwind and Rage Against The Machine have both played. So that's 2 bands n what 40 years, neither of which are metal!

Oh yeah, of course there's enough for a weekend but I expect more from a festival that size and having Kasabian as the Sunday headliner is akin to starting to tidy your house when you want the guests to leave after a party.

To be honest I can't be arsed with the size of the place. Jumped the fence a couple of times in the 90's and had a decent enough time but it's not for me. I much prefer smaller festivals like Green Man and EOTR.

As for Metallica, yeah they will put on a good show but like many bands still going after years are now like a tribute band to themselves. Some of their later albums are complete dross. Hopefully they'll play loads of stuff from Kill Em All and Master of Puppets to confuse the crowd, plenty of whom will be just waiting for Enter Sandman. I just heard Michael Eavis on 6Music justifying their presence by saying people who go to Glastonbury are always asking him when Metallica are going to play (hmm) and that they have a history of metal bands because Hawkwind and Rage Against The Machine have both played. So that's 2 bands n what 40 years, neither of which are metal!

Metallica are definitely a different proposition to Hawkwind (who people used to go see in the 90s because they played everywhere) and RATM ( who I wish were playing, but aren't really metal in the traditional sense ).

One of my mates IMed me last night and said "It's your first Glasto and Metallica are playing. How did you do that?". I laughed, but she raises an interesting point. I do wonder how many festival-goers are going to be into them. I've just lucked out.

Anyways, I've seen Metallica and Arcade Fire before. Part of me thinks I should go see someone else in their slots, but there's a much bigger part that'd be gutted if he didn't see those two bands headline Glasto. Think it'll be pretty special.