[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]163[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

That was an immense win on a flat wicket. Who said we cannot bowl out sides twice. Now we have Leicester home (they are bottom) followed by Kent again home and finally Glamorgan away (they are second from bottom) so it is in our hands.

To answer some of the questions above. 96 overs per day. If interrupted use of extra half hour on days 1 to 3 which equates to 8 overs min. If slow over rate game goes on until 96 overs or reduced calculation is completed so that is why some games go on to 7pm and over. Lunch taken at 1pm and tea when 32 overs left to bowl in the day

Last day there is no extra half hour but 96 in the day reduced pro rata if interrupted. 1pm lunch and 3:40 tea. Final hour only starts when 16 allocated overs to go.

Example of last day if uninterrupted 96 overs. Say slow over rate for whatever reason, and 80 overs completed at 5:30pm then that is when final 16 overs start and must be bowled save draw declaration.

Does that help explain?

Potentially an exciting finale to the season. Finals Day Saturday - which may also explain why WBA sales for the Saints game are sluggish - and three winnable 4 day games. The rain in Leicester was a real bonus and great effort by the Hants guys at Canterbury.

There's been some talk on this thread about Hants not finishing tail-ends off in the 4 day format, is this signing for the Kent and Glamorgan games the answer - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/28867951?

Fortunately Surrey matched us for points in the other group, and we even managed to beat them on net run rate.

Realistically, having lost that game at Essex when we basically had the game in the bag, there was no chance of qualifying from that position so it's been a case of going through the motions, giving a few fringe players a game, etc. No real surprise we got tonked by the group winners last night with the side we put out.

Ha, I was there yesterday. I think people are being a little unfair. The core of yesterdays team, have got us to 5 final days on the trot, so my gut feeling is they do care. Yesterday was a nightmare, although I think coming off for 45 mins when we hade them 5-2 benefitted them as they had time to regroup. I hate to single out one player but......Matt Coles...oh dear he had a nightmare. I think it was obvious after two of his overs he wasm't up to it, we were all suprised Vince didn't put Ervine, himself or even Shah on. Coles mind was scrambled, he could barely let go of the ball in the fourth over, hence two wides, Great day though, Edgbaston staff amazing. Sad to say it only took me 45 mins longer to get to Edgbaston, than to get to the Rosebowl...and I live in Southampton! Great access to the ground.

I notice that for 8 hours during and after the match no one posted on here, is that the level of interest the team inspires?

Er, i was too busy being there, supporting them, having been in Brum from Fri lunchtime until now and drinking throughout. Was too gutted after we went out and then too hammered to type. Sorry

Ha, I was there yesterday. I think people are being a little unfair. The core of yesterdays team, have got us to 5 final days on the trot, so my gut feeling is they do care. Yesterday was a nightmare, although I think coming off for 45 mins when we hade them 5-2 benefitted them as they had time to regroup. I hate to single out one player but......Matt Coles...oh dear he had a nightmare. I think it was obvious after two of his overs he wasm't up to it, we were all suprised Vince didn't put Ervine, himself or even Shah on. Coles mind was scrambled, he could barely let go of the ball in the fourth over, hence two wides, Great day though, Edgbaston staff amazing. Sad to say it only took me 45 mins longer to get to Edgbaston, than to get to the Rosebowl...and I live in Southampton! Great access to the ground.

Spot on. Coles was woeful, Will Smith superb. The rest of it, well thats how it goes sometimes. Agree with you it was an excellent day, I thought that Edgbaston made a great effort to make the day enjoyable for the whole 10 hours. Have already decided to go again next year. Tickets cheaper than watching an England Test or ODI and it was much better entertainment

Er, i was too busy being there, supporting them, having been in Brum from Fri lunchtime until now and drinking throughout. Was too gutted after we went out and then too hammered to type. Sorry

Ha, I had the same thought. After 9 hours drinking, receiving therapy after watching Matt Coles bowl, and then spending 2 hours getting verbal abuse from a Lancashire fan dressed as Fred Flintstone I have to be honest my first thought wasn't....'oh I must share this experience on Saintsweb!'

Ha, I was there yesterday. I think people are being a little unfair. The core of yesterdays team, have got us to 5 final days on the trot, so my gut feeling is they do care. Yesterday was a nightmare, although I think coming off for 45 mins when we hade them 5-2 benefitted them as they had time to regroup. I hate to single out one player but......Matt Coles...oh dear he had a nightmare. I think it was obvious after two of his overs he wasm't up to it, we were all suprised Vince didn't put Ervine, himself or even Shah on. Coles mind was scrambled, he could barely let go of the ball in the fourth over, hence two wides, Great day though, Edgbaston staff amazing.

Having also been there, I agree with all of that Wadesmith.

I don’t think it could have got any worse for Matt Coles, what with the dropped catch and being out for a duck, on top of his woeful bowling – I’m not surprised he chose to walk off to the far dressing rooms rather than back to join his team mates, although I’m not sure it was the best thing for him to do. Incidentally, I had my binoculars on him through the window; it appeared his bat went flying once he got inside. Things haven’t really been working out for him of late; looks like he’s feeling the pressure.

I don’t think D/L did us any favours, but I am a little concerned that some of our older players are starting to show signs of inconsistency, whilst the progress of some of our younger players seems to have stalled somewhat. It’s frustrating because, as they proved in the quarterfinals, on their day, Hants are more than capable of beating anyone. But, like you say, it’s hard to criticise considering all that they’ve achieved these past several years.

Let’s hope they do the business in the remaining 4 day games. Getting back to Div 1 must have been the number one priority at the start of the season.

I didn't notice him going back to the others teams dressing room, daft sod! I was saying on the way home how him and Kevin Pietersen were probably in a bar somewhere getting smashed and moaning how **** life is! I actually felt sorry for Coles, hope they all stuck by him. They actually seem a good bunch of lads, I think what they've achieved in 5 years with no star names is pretty incredible. If Yorkshire or Surrey had done the same we would never have heard the end of it. Yeah i'm sure promotions in the bag.

Haviong watched the coverage back it was a very disappointing display but the season can still be successful by winning the remaining 4 day games and getting promotion, which after all was the over-arching objective all along.

Coles has been poor of late but Hants need to pick him up quickly because he can be rapid with the ball - not something we've been blessed with overly - and destructive as a lower-order bat. Warwicks - sorry B'ham Bears is daft - and Lancs were easily the best two teams and deserved to be in the final. Surrey had nothing apart from Roy - who must get more chances with England in T20 - and Steven Davies. KP looked awful. Can someone remind me how Jade Dernbach got a wardrobe full of England ODI and T20 caps? Supposedly a good 'death' bowler but all I've ever seen him bowl are four balls to smack.

Can someone remind me how Jade Dernbach got a wardrobe full of England ODI and T20 caps? Supposedly a good 'death' bowler but all I've ever seen him bowl are four balls to smack.

We seem to have become determined to pick someone who can both bowl fast and with variations. The problem is that Dernbach's variations only come off one game in ten, the rest they're picked off by half-decent batsmen. It's not even as if the runs he concedes off the bat get recouped by him in the field, he's an average fielder at best.

England's thinking on limited-overs cricket over the past decade has been absolutely nuts, it's as if we're trying to play a completely different game to the rest of the world :lol:

We seem to have become determined to pick someone who can both bowl fast and with variations. The problem is that Dernbach's variations only come off one game in ten, the rest they're picked off by half-decent batsmen. It's not even as if the runs he concedes off the bat get recouped by him in the field, he's an average fielder at best.

England's thinking on limited-overs cricket over the past decade has been absolutely nuts, it's as if we're trying to play a completely different game to the rest of the world :lol:

Did you see Swann's article yesterday about England's approach to the 2015 WC down under? He said that Flower and Cook had a theory that if England scored 239 they'd win something like 72% of the time. He said the watershed for him was the last WC where Flower was delighted that they'd got 230-odd on a slow pitch only for Sri Lanka to canter home inside 40 overs. No wonder Trott used to compile 130 ball risk free hundreds, team orders. Hopefully the inclusion of Hales this series v India signifies a change of approach. I agree with him though that Cook is better off focusing on Tests but don't agree with him about Balance being omitted as Gary showed at Lord's V Sri Lanka that he can up the tempo when he needs to. He has also scored quickly for Yorkshire and gives some stability at 3 without comprising a potential middle order of Bell, Morgan, Buttler and Stokes/Jordan. Would still like to see another expansive player in there like Roy or Vince.

Today not going too badly, forecast looks OK in Cardiff until 5pmish. Rohit dismissal a big bonus.

Strange signing but I am afraid our youth bowling is sparse. If we get promotion a lack of good class bowlers will see us down again.

I agree with this, great to see us probably getting promotion and looking like a successful season. However, the bowling attack needs a couple of major signings - a quick opening bowler as our overseas signing in particular. Whether that would be better than a spinner depends on whether Briggs can rediscover his mojo.

Coles will be a good other opening bowler/first change, Ervine is useful 4th/5th since he gained pace but Wood/Tomlinson are similar at 4 day level.

Strange signing but I am afraid our youth bowling is sparse. If we get promotion a lack of good class bowlers will see us down again.

I see Nathan Buck may be available from Leics. Has disappointed in the last couple of years but a bit like Coles, with the right coaching and environment he could prosper. Still young and can up towards 90mph. Seems to be a lot of political turmoil at Grace Rd which can't be helping young players there, see Thakor leaving for Derbys.

I see Nathan Buck may be available from Leics. Has disappointed in the last couple of years but a bit like Coles, with the right coaching and environment he could prosper. Still young and can up towards 90mph. Seems to be a lot of political turmoil at Grace Rd which can't be helping young players there, see Thakor leaving for Derbys.

Leicestershire haven't won a County Championship game for two years :uhoh: :lol:

It does come to something when going to Derbyshire is seen as a step up!

So I think we now need 17 ponts from 2 games to guarantee us promotion although it could be less because of the Worcs-Surrey and Worcs-Essex games.

Good work with the maths. If thats right than we are pretty much promoted, got to say really impressed with our bowling last two games, which before then had been pretty mediocre (Tomlinson excluded)

So I think we now need 17 ponts from 2 games to guarantee us promotion although it could be less because of the Worcs-Surrey and Worcs-Essex games.

17 points to finish above Surrey, who have 2 matches left. But Essex have three matches left, so 29 points are needed to guarantee finishing above them.

17 points to finish above Surrey, who have 2 matches left. But Essex have three matches left, so 29 points are needed to guarantee finishing above them.

That would require Essex to win three games in a row with maximum points secured in each, though - they've only had a 24-pointer once all season, and they've only actually won 4 games.

Leicestershire haven't won a County Championship game for two years :uhoh: :lol:

It does come to something when going to Derbyshire is seen as a step up!

They've had huge political problems for quite some time. I know Hoggard complained of problems when he was captain and there was talk of a sit-down protest against the then-chairman. Buck has impressed me when I've seen him, he's not the rising star he was in his late teens when he was leading the England U19 attack but his record is still not bad in such a struggling side and at Hampshire I think he'd do really well. Shouldn't cost too much in wages and at 23 could still kick on into international cricket. He looks highly likely to be moving on and would get a game with us. As for Leicestershire, I'm confident if they played Devon, minor counties champions again, they'd get a walloping. Mind you, Somerset loaned them Jamie Overton back and when his radar is right, he can be very quick with bounce to match.

In terms of your point about Essex over-taking us, I agree, their bowling attack couldn't pull the skin off a rice-pudding with Napier not fully fit and they'd do well to bowl anyone out twice.