Hampshire CCC Season 2014

Weston Saint

Need to bat pretty well here, no chance of a win at this stage but we need to be looking at the 400 runs inside 110 overs target to secure both a draw and maximum batting points.

That'll leave us on 221 points heading to Cardiff. Essex are going to be on 207 when they beat Leicestershire, a defeat for us (if bowled out for under 200) could leave us just one point ahead :uhoh:

Only 218 I think. Which means if Essex win against Worcs, Hants would need to at least draw with more bonus points than Essex get in their win.

Damn Essex and their rice-pudding attack.

Left just before our second wicket fell and it was largely the same stuff as yesterday. We bowled reasonably well (Coles particularly) but the wicket is lifeless and now we have a bit of scoreboard pressure on us! Just need to get to 350/400, secure the draw and move on to the next game. That would still put us 9 or 10 in front of Essex and we should back ourselves to get more points out of Glamorgan and than they will out of Worcestershire. Sounds easy on paper anyway...

Left just before our second wicket fell and it was largely the same stuff as yesterday. We bowled reasonably well (Coles particularly) but the wicket is lifeless and now we have a bit of scoreboard pressure on us! Just need to get to 350/400, secure the draw and move on to the next game. That would still put us 9 or 10 in front of Essex and we should back ourselves to get more points out of Glamorgan and than they will out of Worcestershire. Sounds easy on paper anyway...

227/8 at lunch. Not looking good at all, and be lucky to even muster a 2nd batting point here. Defeat seems very likely now, meaning we may only go into the final game 2 or 3 points ahead of essex

So in fact Kent's bowlers got something out of a flat wicket whereas our chuckers couldn't. Seem to have heard that story all too often this season.

So in fact Kent's bowlers got something out of a flat wicket whereas our chuckers couldn't. Seem to have heard that story all too often this season.

Never heard of scoreboard pressure? Three wickets each for their spinners suggest they may be getting something out of it now, Bell-Drummond interviewed at the end of the first day suggested that might happen later in the game.

Never heard of scoreboard pressure? Three wickets each for their spinners suggest they may be getting something out of it now, Bell-Drummond interviewed at the end of the first day suggested that might happen later in the game.

Not to mention Essex pressure, they did exactly what was needed to panic us by skittling Leics in half a day. Kind of bowling performance that we needed really. Perhaps we're not even ready to be promoted.

Seems everyone's surprised Kent have enforced the follow-on, having been out in the field for 105 overs and with the wicket turning quite a lot already.

No lose situation for them really, the result to them is irrelevant, we might try for quick runs to force a result and get skittled again, doubt if we can win as we have to follow on, no way we're going to get enough to win by say, lunch tomorrow anyway. We'll try and bat for as long as possible and secure the draw.

Edited by Window Cleaner

No lose situation for them really, the result to them is irrelevant, we might try for quick runs to force a result and get skittled again, doubt if we can win as we have to follow on, no way we're going to get enough to win by say, lunch tomorrow anyway. We'll try and bat for as long as possible and secure the draw.

If we manage to secure the draw along with getting 4 batting points, that is a monumental effort from the position we were in at lunch today.

I know everyone knew Northamptonshire were out of their depth in the first division, but today's performance really is something else. Durham were eventually bowled out this morning for 392, and in reply Northants batted twice, but lasted a total of 40.2 overs for innings scores of 83 and 90. Durham's Chris Rushworth took insane match figures of 15-95 from 20 overs, while they brought Indian seamer Varun Aaron in for this game and he only got to bowl 7 overs in the match :lol:

If we manage to secure the draw along with getting 4 batting points, that is a monumental effort from the position we were in at lunch today.

Indeed, it will mean that barring an utter shambles from Hants at Cardiff (or is it Swansea) Essex will need to beat Worcs to bypass us even if we lose. We'd be 10 ahead, you'd have to assume we'll get a few bonus points be it just for bowling and maybe 1 for batting so they'll need at least 14 ,so need to win (or tie) in even the worst case scenario for Hants.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Tremendous comeback since lunch! Brilliant by Ervine – still showing his worth to the side. Smith proving, again, what a good acquisition he’s been this season. Will be delighted if we can see this through for a draw – or how about we declare tomorrow teatime and let Tahir perform his magic on a turning track! ;)

Indeed, it will mean that barring an utter shambles from Hants at Cardiff (or is it Swansea) Essex will need to beat Worcs to bypass us even if we lose. We'd be 10 ahead, you'd have to assume we'll get a few bonus points be it just for bowling and maybe 1 for batting so they'll need at least 14 ,so need to win (or tie) in even the worst case scenario for Hants.

I think that is a good summary, assuming a draw tomorrow: Essex don't beat Worcs, Hants are probably up, but if Essex win then Hants probably have to beat Glamorgan.

I wonder who Worcs prefer to go up with them? Presumably the team they think is the weaker of the two. If they think Hants are stronger I wonder if they'll "rest" a few players in their match against Essex? ;)

I went to day one on Monday and it was the dullest thing I've seen since.....well, probably West Brom.

The weather that has come down this morning hopefully secures the few vital points for a draw.

If it rained in West End like it did here the pitch must be under water.

Essex must be disappointed that we haven't been wiped out yet as looked likely.

I went to day one on Monday and it was the dullest thing I've seen since.....well, probably West Brom.

The weather that has come down this morning hopefully secures the few vital points for a draw.

If it rained in West End like it did here the pitch must be under water.

Essex must be disappointed that we haven't been wiped out yet as looked likely.

You should have gone yesterday. The Ervine/Tommo partnership was epic.

If we had saved the follow-on, then we may have been looking at a run-chase today, so we would have been royally pis sed off with this rain.

I think that is a good summary, assuming a draw tomorrow: Essex don't beat Worcs, Hants are probably up, but if Essex win then Hants probably have to beat Glamorgan.

I wonder who Worcs prefer to go up with them? Presumably the team they think is the weaker of the two. If they think Hants are stronger I wonder if they'll "rest" a few players in their match against Essex? ;)

In fact Worcs still owe us from the Championship they stole from us in err 74 probably, we had a wash out, they had a dodgy one innings last day slog and beat us by 2 points.

I hope they remember this and atone.