Hampshire CCC Season 2014

Weston Saint

Good win but mighty close. Well done to Luke Wright but thankfully not enough.

Rimmington left out to get Dawson into the side.

Wood tells me that although he is still not able to play 4 day cricket he should be available for the up and coming 50 over competition.

Good to meet up with Nick Pothas again. He is now a batting coach with Sussex.

Some very relieved coaches and players tonight.

I shall go to Peter Sainsbury's funeral on Wednesday, Peter played fro Hampshire for 20 seasons, scored 20,000+ runs, took 1300+ wickets, held a record number of catches, was the only man to be in both Championship winning sides (1961 and 1973) and then became the coach. Why is the reception room named after Shane Warne?

I shall go to Peter Sainsbury's funeral on Wednesday, Peter played fro Hampshire for 20 seasons, scored 20,000+ runs, took 1300+ wickets, held a record number of catches, was the only man to be in both Championship winning sides (1961 and 1973) and then became the coach. Why is the reception room named after Shane Warne?

Yeah, if I'm honest I agree. I imagine it was a commercial decision. I suppose if you are trying to attract clients mentioning The Shane Warne reception, is going to ring more bells than the Peter Sainsbury reception. I was really cynical when they did that. In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest bowler ever, but in terms of his contribution to Hants, I never have felt comftable with it, & no one will ever convince me otherwise. The named a road after the two Marshall's, those two were Hampshire through & through.

Agree. I’m a great admirer of Shane Warne and gratefully appreciate what he did for Hampshire, but I’ve often wondered what the likes of Derek Shackleton, Peter Sainsbury, Roy and Malcolm Marshall, Richard Gilliat, Barry Richards, Gordon Greenidge, Andy Roberts, Trevor Jesty, David Turner, Mark Nicholas, Robin Smith, Shaun Udal et al made of the decision to name one of the stands after him.

Great win tonight what results do we need to get a home draw this week?

Effectively, we need Surrey to lose their remaining two games, or to draw one and lose one, or to win one and lose one really heavily, or to … actually it’s much easier to just accept that we will be away in the quarter-final ;)

Excellent performance last night, even Maxwell scored runs. Apart from Vince needing to end his nightmare streak and a few less dropped catches, we were almost back to the T20 best and it was great to watch. Even if we are away, which looks very likely, at least we have some momentum going into the quarter final.

One day cup starts for us today, away at Derby. Not a great start though because our bowling seems to be taking a bit of a pasting so far, they're 165/2 off of about 28 overs.

Assume it's 50 overs a side so at that rate we'll be looking at 270 minimum. Now if we had Bazza and Flats I wouldn't worry about such a meagre target but as it stands..err not so much

Edit: Looks like I'd caught a dose of over optimism from the football threads. We're going to be looking at way over 300.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Bit of a worry to see Rose Bowl with so many empty seats at a Tesm match. and in good weather

Yes I noticed that whilst watching the TV. I also found it a bit strange that it started on a Sunday

when If it had to start at a weekend why not on the Saturday ? Was it because the ECB and Hampshire

top bods don't appear to like each other and they didn't want Hampshire to get as much benefit ?

Hampshire were very upset when the fixture date was announced but ECB indicated it was because of the tight schedule. Negotiations then took place and ECB accepted it was not an ideal start on a Sunday and agreed to cover ticket losses for the first 3 days.

The gate was 15,500 on Sunday, 10,500 on Monday and about 8,500 yesterday. Not sure about today yet but projections were about 4500. The position of the game may mean a decent walk up

This was more about showing the ECB we could handle Test cricket and so far everything important has been positive including the wicket. Good batting strip with something in it for the bowlers. It is rated as a perfect test wicket so far.

I am enjoying my time there and off shortly for the 4th day.

In all the club are disappointed with the crowd turn out but very positive overall.

Ticket cost is always an issue but compares with other grounds. For non members I believe it was about £65 per day. I bought a package of all 5 days for £156 which equates to £31.20 per day. Effectively at £52 per day face value on the ticket it gives me day 4 and 5 free. And I have on site parking free and have been home within 20 minutes of the finish. I live between Weston and Woolston. No traffic delays for me.

The ECB shouldn't use the attendances as justification to not give us an Ashes Test, because of the obvious mitigating circumstances. Had it even started on the Wednesday, I reckon they'd have got 10k+ every day, plus a load of corporate sales on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

That said, I do think the prices need to be looked at. I know they compare with other grounds, but I think every ground should tailor its pricing to its audience. There's been two Tests at the Rose Bowl now, and neither has come remotely close to selling out on any of the 10 days. The weather was absolutely perfect this year as well, and the timing decent coming right at the start of the school holidays. I saw they were offering family tickets for £99 (a very good deal, IMO) on a photo that was tweeted on Monday, but hadn't seen any publicity to that effect in the previous six months. Surely that was a great opportunity to get families in, although I appreciate that T20 is a much more family-oriented spectacle than Test cricket.

Meanwhile back to the actual cricket.

Not looking too easy for Hants at Bristol today. Put Gloucs in and restricted them to 233. Good start but now we've lost 4 wickets and are behind the run rate, needing 84 off of about 16 overs, not catastrophic yet but with no Carberry and No Maxwell we look light on batting to me.

I went to 2 days of the test match - excellent facilities and thoroughly enjoyed both days. The size of the crowd was disappointing though. The lift breaking down in the press centre has not helped our cause - Boycott made a big fuss about having to walk up several flights of stairs!

Big day for Hampshire today - don't think we have the bowlers to get us through without Abbott pace though.

On the HCC site it says Abbott is back today; late tests for Carbs and Maxwell although both sound more likely than not. If this was not the only Q final being played on a Sunday I would have been there today, will have to make do with Sky.

On the HCC site it says Abbott is back today; late tests for Carbs and Maxwell although both sound more likely than not. If this was not the only Q final being played on a Sunday I would have been there today, will have to make do with Sky.

Well I hope we have Carberry and Maxwell because our bowlers are getting atomised. 55/1 off 5, that's not good. Could easily be looking at 200 +

Not great at all. Pressure on players like Vince and Maxwell particularly, who have been out of form. If they stand up and Carbs is fully fit, we can do this but it will need 70 off the powerplay

Good start but 10 an over for 20 overs is really a massive ask, we will regret the p*ss poor bowling of Briggs and Abbott no doubt.