Hampshire CCC Season 2014

Weston Saint

Am i right to say the umpires can only add 15 mins today?

The Hampshire Twitter feed said there was a minimum of 30 overs left to bowl when the 8th wicket fell. Lose two for the change of innings, but Smith and Tahir/Tomlinson probably need to bat out at least 10 more overs. 100 ahead with 15 overs to go on a raging turner should see us OK. Just about.

The Hampshire Twitter feed said there was a minimum of 30 overs left to bowl when the 8th wicket fell. Lose two for the change of innings, but Smith and Tahir/Tomlinson probably need to bat out at least 10 more overs. 100 ahead with 15 overs to go on a raging turner should see us OK. Just about.

This. Had 80 overs now, If we can bat up to 90, we SHOULD be ok, being that the lead is now 70, another 20 odd runs in 10 overs may be sufficient

The last two days have been proper cricket and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Noted some of the comments above but must remind them we have only lost one Championship game this season. We are good enough to play in the 1st Div but we do need one more top rate bowler. Nothing coming through the ranks. That is why we have plumped for Adams. Not much else around at the moment but if we can got the promotion desired perhaps we can pick one up.

Well done, Tahir, just what the situation needed, hammers Tredwell for six and gets bowled the very next ball, presumably trying to do it again :facepalm:

Bowled thru the gate, playing forward defensive. Wheater needs the abuse. 1st ball swept to deep squareleg and dropped for his 1 run. Next over smashed one straight at mid-wicket. walked back to complete silence. Wood needent have bothered carrying his bat out with him in either innings. Could have done better with Boycott's "stick of rhubarb".

Thank god for Smith and Tommo's dead bat.

Tahir,was unwell from the time he arrived. Do not give him stick. I will not say what one of the umpires said about his return!

Wheater was blanked by the supporters but that is the way he plays. Giving his overall performance he deserves to play over the best glove man in England.

From what I know, Bates has turned down a new contract. Unfortunately no other county has been if for him so far!

Terry is very disappointed.

Alsop sees himself as a batsman who can keep wicket and he is an excellent wicket keeper. The future is bright in that position.

What changes for the final match? Perhaps drop one or more of Tahir, Wheater and Alsop, replaced by Briggs, Master Bates, and Terry?

Discuss.

Considering his steady knocks in the CC at the end of last season (couple of 50s IIRC), and in this year’s 50 over comp (another couple of 50s and 10n/o in 4 inns), I’m not surprised to read Weston say that Terry is feeling very disappointed. Personally, I’d like to see Terry play next week instead of Alsop.

Regarding the Tahir / Briggs situation, I’d have been celebrating just like every other Hants fan if Tahir had spun us to victory this week; so I suppose that means I’m a hypocrite when I say I’m not particularly comfortable with the decision to bring him over for these final two games. Nevertheless, next week I’d play Tahir.

As for Wheater / Bates, Wheater is obviously the better batsman – he seemed reckless yesterday, but that’s his style and maybe he was following instructions to take the attack to the bowlers – but I would like to have seen Bates given another full season to see if he could have improved his batting, but that's water under the bridge now. Next week I’d play Wheater.

Gatting anyone?

Edited by Halo Stickman

By far the best effort so far of all the sides who were inserted or batted first today. Can't blame Essex for preparing a green, slow one at Chelmsford that seamed all over the road, they got lucky in putting the opposition in again though. What's the forecast like for the next 3 days in Cardiff? Need to win I reckon, 300+ first up could put Cardiff under pressure.

By far the best effort so far of all the sides who were inserted or batted first today. Can't blame Essex for preparing a green, slow one at Chelmsford that seamed all over the road, they got lucky in putting the opposition in again though. What's the forecast like for the next 3 days in Cardiff? Need to win I reckon, 300+ first up could put Cardiff under pressure.

If Essex were to be bowled out for under 200, that would mean they could only get a maximum of 19 from the match (the 3 bonus points already secured for bowling Worcestershire out, plus 16 for the win), which would then mean we only need 10 to secure promotion. Assuming we can bowl Glamorgan out inside 110 overs, that requires only 2 batting points (250 runs) and a drawn match.

Worcestershire's abject display this morning also offers the chance for us to snatch the title...