Post Match Reaction: Newcastle United 1-1 SAINTS

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Newcastle United (Away 2013/14)  

288 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Newcastle United (Away 2013/14)

• Gazzaniga
    • Chambers
    • Shaw
    • Hooiveld
    • Lovren
    • Cork
    • Davis, S
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Osvaldo
    • Rodriguez
    • Lambert
    • Lallana
    • Schneiderlin
    • Gallagher

I am guilty of being very worried any time the ball is within range of Gazza. That is simply because I want us to win.

However, he is our THIRD choice keeper, and is young. I think it's OK to worry that he is now our first team keeper for the time being, but to judge the guy on the position he has been thrown into as if he is intended to be a top class Premier League goalkeeper is unfair and disingenuous.

Yes, he is inadequate for footy at this level. However, he is more than adequate at the moment for a third choice keeper. He deserves some thanks along with some of the criticism.

Disagree, he'd have a job to get a game in a decent Wessex League side. Nowhere near good enough to get paid to play.

Strange game.

Could've easily been 2-0 down within 30 minutes, Gazza nervous and a distinct lack of pace up front.

I have absolutely no idea why Lallana and Fonte didn't start (if they were injured then fair enough) if they were fit, absolutely ridiculous decision.

In the end, a hard-earned point we didn't really deserve, Happy days.

Still 2 points from 5 games isn't good...

Edited by BlakeySFC

Strange game.

Could've easily been 2-0 down within 30 minutes, Gazza nervous and a distinct lack of pace up front.

I have absolutely no idea why Lallana and Fonte didn't start (if they were injured then fair enough) if they were fit, absolutely ridiculous decision if they were fit.

Still 2 points from 6 games isn't good...

That's only because of the freak result against Villa which was just the most unjust result ever.

Strange game.

I have absolutely no idea why Lallana and Fonte didn't start (if they were injured then fair enough) if they were fit, absolutely ridiculous decision if they were fit.

When you consider who we've played and the circumstances in which we have played some of them I would completely disagree...

The last two games have yielded excellent results.

Just back. Strange old game today. The 4-4-2 was an unmitigated failure. Lambert and Osvaldo don't work well together, poor JWP looks lost in a middle two, and without that extra body in midfield we get over-run too much. That said most of Newcastle's best moments came from our carelessness with the ball. I was grateful to go in only 1 down. Not that Newcastle were much good, but we looked like doing nothing and they were getting plenty of set pieces.

Far better second half, players were more comfortable, tempo was better, there was always a spare man to pass the ball to and the team looked much more confident. I don't think we're good enough to start messing about with the formation now, we need to grind some results out in this period with our most effective team available.

Enjoyable day out as always.

Strange game.

I have absolutely no idea why Lallana and Fonte didn't start (if they were injured then fair enough) if they were fit, absolutely ridiculous decision.

It's 2 points from 5 games isn't it? We beat Hull before that.

On the train home and delighted with a point. Thought 2nd half that we were excellent.

Can understand why he started with the system he did (thought leaving Lallana out was nuts myself) but fair play to the manager for changing it at the break.

The lad has SD as MOTM; Cork for me.

Given what we started with (which, to me, was inexplicable unless MP was protecting minor knocks) and what we had on the bench, it was always likely to be "a game of two halves". So I was happy we didn't get buried before half time but disappointed that we didn't win it in the end.

But, as James said just above, draws from our last two games are excellent results considering our injury list.

MP is a smart cookie and I'm sure he's learning as he goes along about what (and who) works and what (and who) doesn't.

I know Saint Charlie doesn't agree but I'm not convinced that MP rates JWP as much as we do - moved out of midfield and to RB against Arsenal (needlessly IMO), pulled off just after the hour at Chelsea, withdrawn before half time against Villa, and substituted at the break today.

I'm hoping it's because the absence of the Schneiderlin/Wanyana duo is making it difficult for JWP to play his game, but MP seems rather quick to give him the hook.

Thoughts?

I think the mistake was keeping Davis personally. Fair enough if he wants to be a coach here eventually but I don't see why we kept him on as one of our keepers.

Gazza at least is young and has the potential to improve, although I have seen little so far to suggest he is Prem quality.

I know Saint Charlie doesn't agree but I'm not convinced that MP rates JWP as much as we do - moved out of midfield and to RB against Arsenal (needlessly IMO), pulled off just after the hour at Chelsea, withdrawn before half time against Villa, and substituted at the break today.

I'm hoping it's because the absence of the Schneiderlin/Wanyana duo is making it difficult for JWP to play his game, but MP seems rather quick to give him the hook.

Thoughts?

MP gets more right than he gets wrong.

Isn't Niemi a goal keeping coach these days? Get him back and paired up with Gazza. Bring out the icy cold steeliness that makes defenses stand up and take note of what they're being told. I think Gazza has the ability, just lacking the authority and conviction. I want everyone in our squad to perform for this team and suceed!

Thoughts?

TBH, have yet to see JWP really impose himself on a game -the Stoke game being the closest example. Is a serious threat from setpieces and from the occasional cross from open play and fits our system and philosophy but I expect more from a week-in, week-out starter.

Has bags of potential but should he be starting every game, I have my doubts, especially away from home where he can't simply outsource his attacking responsibilities by dropping deep and letting the fullback push on.

It may be mongboard blasphemy as we put our own on a pedestal. But maybe MP is slightly torn between his commitment to bring youth through and getting results in the here and now.

TBH, have yet to see JWP really impose himself on a game -the Stoke game being the closest example. Is a serious threat from setpieces and from the occasional cross from open play and fits our system and philosophy but I expect more from a week-in, week-out starter.

Has bags of potential but should he be starting every game, I have my doubts, especially away from home where he can't simply outsource his attacking responsibilities by dropping deep and letting the fullback push on.

It may be mongboard blasphemy as we put our own on a pedestal. But maybe MP is slightly torn between his commitment to bring youth through and getting results in the here and now.

Good post, and there's a lot to what you say, especially the part about outsourcing his attacking responsibilities - even if those full back forays are a cornerstone of our style.

But it wasn't just us putting him on a pedestal. The Beckham comparisons were coming from balanced commentators outside the Saints circle. MP's tendency to pull him emerged very soon after those comparisons started, so maybe he's not listening as well as he needs to. For me, Shaw started to push his attacking luck today and rather neglect his defensive responsibilities - not really serious but enough to keep an eye on it. It's easy to forget that these kids are still only eighteen and nineteen.

Dan Quayle, is that you?

Aye. We should try to succeed, otherwise we run the risk of failure. Anyway good draw, one have those games where you could of one, lost or walked away with a share of the spoils. A game of two halves I thought, and Gazzaniga looked a bit dodgy in both of them.

It always amazes me that 4-4-2 means you get overrun in midfield nowadays. How did it work so well for so long if you needed more men in midfield?

Back then most teams hit it longer. Had two wingers and got more crosses in from the corner flag

Now. Wide players roam, cut in. More play through the middle

We are about 15 years behind the continent on this

Right now we have Boruc and Davis injured, our young 3rd choice is playing his heart out for us against top top teams and is being crucified. The only choice we have is to promote Cropper and then you lot can make him a scapegoat when he cocks up. Give Gazza a break and hope our defence can protect him enough for us to maintain a decent league position until a senior keeper is fit again. If a top 4 or 5 team had to play their 3rd choice keeper the whining would be in the press every day complaining about their bad luck. Just listen to the groans about RVP at Manure.

All our stand in players are doing their best, this situation may be a blessing so that NC will let MP strengthen in January.

Right now we have Boruc and Davis injured, our young 3rd choice is playing his heart out for us against top top teams and is being crucified. The only choice we have is to promote Cropper and then you lot can make him a scapegoat when he cocks up. Give Gazza a break and hope our defence can protect him enough for us to maintain a decent league position until a senior keeper is fit again. If a top 4 or 5 team had to play their 3rd choice keeper the whining would be in the press every day complaining about their bad luck. Just listen to the groans about RVP at Manure.

All our stand in players are doing their best, this situation may be a blessing so that NC will let MP strengthen in January.

Happy clapper. The players are paid well enough. Tough league.

What the f**k has that got to do with the valid point that we are playing our 3rd choice keeper?

Gazza might as well be 2nd choice, no real difference between him and Davis.

Fact is we have no backup to Boruc that is anywhere near PL standard.

Possibly only Palace have a weaker no2 keeper in the whole league.

Is it just me or is JRod getting better and better with each game?

The thing with young players is that if you give them a chance they will improve. People criticising JWP, he's 18 FFS, he will improve. Chambers played well today, another little gem we've produced.

It always amazes me that 4-4-2 means you get overrun in midfield nowadays. How did it work so well for so long if you needed more men in midfield?

Didn't look like 4-4-2 from where I was in the ground. Looked like Lambert was on the right hand side where JWP usually sits.

Is it just me or is JRod getting better and better with each game?

The thing with young players is that if you give them a chance they will improve. People criticising JWP, he's 18 FFS, he will improve. Chambers played well today, another little gem we've produced.

Young, hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve... couldn't resist