Steven Davis

Saint Garrett

Rubbish. If they'd passed to gaston maybe would have worked. You're mentality is reason englsnd don't win trophies.

Eh? Not sure what the stats were but Gaston got bullied out of the game and have the ball away a lot.

Davis is a superb link between midfield and the three attacking players and is always the first one out to press. He's such an underrated player for us IMO.

Eh? Not sure what the stats were but Gaston got bullied out of the game and have the ball away a lot.

Davis is a superb link between midfield and the three attacking players and is always the first one out to press. He's such an underrated player for us IMO.

Agree with that, Davis is a fantastic link between midfield and the three attackers. Each player has their own strengths, it's a shame that people seem to be so quick to forget what those strengths are when we are losing/not doing so great.

Rubbish. If they'd passed to gaston maybe would have worked. You're mentality is reason englsnd don't win trophies.

FFS Roger, yet again someone who doesn't share your view is talking "rubbish" and getting needless personal shots.

I think Davis is not much more than a damn good journeyman midfielder, but he contributes a lot to our aggressive pressing style. It was no coincidence that we outplayed Liverpool for 20-25 minutes with him out there.

Or that our intensity dropped and Lallana disappeared after Ramirez came on.

I'd prefer someone with more creativity than Davis and more intensity than Ramirez, but for me we often sacrifice too much for the occasional nice touch when Gaston comes on.

The right sub was made at HT. Gaston is far more threatening in the final third and Davis quickly runs out of ideas 25 yards from goal. We were a goal down and needed to try and win the game.

Davis is a good player for us though. He just isn't the right player for all games.

You think we were a better team (in terms of opening Liverpool up) after half time?

Absolutely.. he did nothing wrong today.. MP just tried a high risk strategy in Ramirez... it did not work but that's not the reason we lost... miss too many chances when we are on top and they had the cutting edge, which we cannot afford as yet

You think we were a better team (in terms of opening Liverpool up) after half time?

I thought we carried on from where we finished in the first half but with Gaston on the pitch ahead of Davis I thought we'd either create a better chance or he himself would offer more of a goalscoring threat. The second goal killed the game and I don't attribute that to Ramirez at all.

Errrrrr no .......quite the opposite. Ramirez cannot retain possession just like England that is where the problems lie for both !! !!!

He has been one of if not the most consistent players this season but for me he doesn't create enough chances/goals for someone playing in that CAM role.

But I'm not sure he's there to be creative. He's there to be the link between the midfield 2 and the front 3. With Gaston in there second half, we had him out right, JRod left and Lallana everywhere, but we had no one picking the ball off the midfield 2 and linking with the front 3. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's the most creative or even talented footballer, but his job in our side is so important to how we play.

One thing I notice about Davis in the last 3-4 games and Ramirez when he came on today, is that rather than playing in a CAM role they seem to be mostly placed down the side. Almost like wingers.

I understand Lallana may be comfortable with coming inside but I'm pretty sure that Ramirez in particular is rather ineffective down there?

But I'm not sure he's there to be creative. He's there to be the link between the midfield 2 and the front 3. With Gaston in there second half, we had him out right, JRod left and Lallana everywhere, but we had no one picking the ball off the midfield 2 and linking with the front 3. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's the most creative or even talented footballer, but his job in our side is so important to how we play.

He may be the link but in a 4-2-3-1 formation you have to be the playmaker and everything should be going through him,Coutinho,Rooney and Oscar all play that role and all have a decent amount of assists/goals this season.

But then saying that you really should have a more mobile striker when playing a lone front man,if nobody is on the last man to run onto then you will look to play it sideways every time

Just look at the Second goal today lambert would never be on the last man to receive that ball Suarez did

He may be the link but in a 4-2-3-1 formation you have to be the playmaker and everything should be going through him,Coutinho,Rooney and Oscar all play that role and all have a decent amount of assists/goals this season.

But then saying that you really should have a more mobile striker when playing a lone front man,if nobody is on the last man to run onto then you will look to play it sideways every time

Just look at the Second goal today lambert would never be on the last man to receive that ball Suarez did

But he's not really that no 10 is he. That's Lallana for us, and he is everywhere. Davis normally plays on the right but our midfield are so fluid it doesn't really matter.

Davis was poor today, but generally he's been alright for us, one of those players that sums up MP's playing style for us, depends how much you like that?

Given a number of the fans in here seem to think they're too good and important for what the club has achieved so far and expected us to be fighting it out with Europe's finest, players like Davis will be considered peasants. Same goes for people like Fonte or his midfield partners Schneiderlin and Cork, or the harsh and temperamental judgements about Boruc. They can be the best but they have this glass ceiling in their price tag.

Second half shows how important he is to us. Is the key link between attack and defence and is critical to the pressing system.

I quite like Gaston, but he just doesn't do the hard graft like Davis does.

Completely agree. We were still in the game until that substitution was made.

No doubt the pretty-football tikka-takka "possession is all" crew will squeal.

I don't think you can point to the substitution as the turning point, IMO the second goal completely killed us. We still looked good first 10 of the second half and Gaston was a part of that. He is one of the few in our team who actually tries to make something happen as opposed to being content with purely keeping the ball. I like the principle but there comes a time where that alone isn't enough.

I don't think you can point to the substitution as the turning point, IMO the second goal completely killed us. We still looked good first 10 of the second half and Gaston was a part of that. He is one of the few in our team who actually tries to make something happen as opposed to being content with purely keeping the ball. I like the principle but there comes a time where that alone isn't enough.

You are probably quite right about the second goal killing us off, it was such a bad goal to concede, especially after the scruffy first one. When you keep on shipping goals like that you have no hope really.

AKA Everybody Else's Fault.

You get to hear that a lot when Gash is discussed.

You have become quite a nasty little handbag swirling piece of work matey..:mcinnes:

I used to laugh at you sometimes thinking you were trying to be funny....but now I realise you come on here with all your bile:(

Like many other true Saints supporters..I may appear to be a happy clapper..more often than not tongue in cheek in the hope Saints will win:)

But you have a serious problem...

NOT convinced you are the full shilling to be honest...I apologise for this ALPS:p but my psychiatrist agrees with me....Your posts are very poor and mainly against the mighty Saints:mcinnes:

Not meant in a nasty way... as I would not lower myself to your very strange standard of abusing other forum posters.

By the way true Saints supporters do not squeal:p

GROW UP SUNSHINE:rolleyes:

AND get on the Bus FFS and show some support for Saints.:D

Edited by ottery st mary

• 3 weeks later...
I think Davis is not much more than a damn good journeyman midfielder.

I don't think the 'journeyman' tag is accurate. He's actually only played for 4 clubs. I'd prefer to see the journeyman label reserved for players who have played for twice that many clubs and never settled anywhere for long.

I found out the other day that SD is only 29. Did anyone else think he was well into his 30's? Don't know if it's the fact he's been around for over 10 years, is an international captain or is just playing with a very youthful squad, but was very happy to find out he has many years left in him yet.

Absolutely. Always puts in a good shift - even if some don't rate him as a " star player "

• 4 months later...