Jay Rodriguez

SNSUN

I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing Jay all the best in his recovery from that nasty injury. It looked horrible when he went down, and was clearly distressed when he left the pitch. He's had an excellent season for Saints, and it would be horrible if he missed out on the chance to play at the World Cup.

Let's hope the injury isn't as bad as first feared. Get well soon Jay.

Amen to that. My gut feeling is that although it has probably ended his season, it's not as bad as feared... I just got the impression that although it clearly hurt, he didn't seem to be in the agony that we often see when it's a cruciate.

Devastated for him. He is a top player, and we will really miss him.

Any idea of what the Injury was or how long he's expected to be out for?

Looked bad from where I was in the away end but didn't really see what happened.

Clearly knee ligament related from what I could see. All force when he landed went onto his knee, which buckled and twisted, and then kind of hung in the air. The scream of pain and the fact he couldn't even keep his head still was a clear sign of the pain. It's not a good one.

At this stage of the season I almost don't care whether he makes it back in time for any of our five remaining matches, I just really don't want to see the poor lad miss the world cup.

100% I would love him to do 10mins on the last game of season just to get rid of rust but I would be devo for him if he doesn't get a chance at making the world cup.

“To be completely honest it’s not looking good,” said the rueful Saints boss.

“We need to assess him today and tomorrow but it’s not looking good.

“It’s not going to be good for him, it’s not good for the team.”

He added: “I can’t really know exactly what’s wrong with him or when I’m going to see him again in a Southampton shirt.

“We need to analyse him today and tomorrow and know the exact reality of his injury.

“All the players are really affected, not just about the result, not just about the refereeing decisions, but more than anything about the doubt of how severe his injury is.”

He'd have spoken with the medical staff who would have given some sort of initial diagnoses, so that's not good to read at all. I think its an ACL one myself, just by the way he landed and the sheer pain in his face.

“To be completely honest it’s not looking good,” said the rueful Saints boss.

“We need to assess him today and tomorrow but it’s not looking good.

“It’s not going to be good for him, it’s not good for the team.”

He added: “I can’t really know exactly what’s wrong with him or when I’m going to see him again in a Southampton shirt.

“We need to analyse him today and tomorrow and know the exact reality of his injury.

“All the players are really affected, not just about the result, not just about the refereeing decisions, but more than anything about the doubt of how severe his injury is.”

He'd have spoken with the medical staff who would have given some sort of initial diagnoses, so that's not good to read at all. I think its an ACL one myself, just by the way he landed and the sheer pain in his face.

**** and Jay is just such a decent bloke, now that fresh prince dickhead welbeck is guaranteed to get in the squad. More gutted that he doesn't have the chance of a world cup, but he is still young and think he will be 29 in the next one, hopefully this will make him and not break him.

I think that was evident in the second half too... we have such a close knit group of players I think it probably did affect us just as much as the second goal, if not more.

**** and Jay is just such a decent bloke, now that fresh prince dickhead welbeck is guaranteed to get in the squad. More gutted that he doesn't have the chance of a world cup, but he is still young and think he will be 29 in the next one, hopefully this will make him and not break him.

Welbeck was nailed on 100% anyway. Hodgson on TalkSport yesterday described Welbeck as a "bona fide England player" and waxed lyrical about him. If it was j-Rod vs Welbeck, no contest, but there is space for both. Fingers crossed J-Rod is back soon and can get in a few games before the end of the season to try and convince Roy he is worthy of a spot. Always unlikely to make the final 23 anyway but be awesome if he can at least have the chance to prove himself.

Really sorry to say this but, if JRod misses the rest of the season, as seems likely, then he will miss the World Cup. At best he will be recovering fitness. Hodgson will not risk this on an untried player.

I am gutted for him. He is an honest, unassuming lad who was playing his best football ever. On a personal level, I share his pain.

Really sorry to say this but, if JRod misses the rest of the season, as seems likely, then he will miss the World Cup. At best he will be recovering fitness. Hodgson will not risk this on an untried player.

I am gutted for him. He is an honest, unassuming lad who was playing his best football ever. On a personal level, I share his pain.

Yes I still feel he needed to keep knocking in the goals from now to the end of the season. At best he could hope 2/3 weeks, but my gut feeling is that the injury will make the decision for Roy! :(

Yeah, this. My thoughts exactly.

My first thought was cruciate..

But having watched the replays a few times...

he landed badly and appeared to impact onto his knee cap.

HOPEFULLY swelling/bruising etc.....and prayers for a quick recovery...

Holby City quacks suspect cruciate...miracle required for Jay Rod.

Just seen it again on match of the day. It looked awful, his reaction & that of all the players around tells you its not looking good.

I hope it isn't as bad as it appears, but I fear the worst. Good luck on a quick recovery Jay. Hopefully be ready for the start of next season.

The result hardly matters today, I'm gutted for the lad when he seemed to be playing his way into contention for the world cup.

Devastating, for him especially, but the club as well. Contrary to some comments above, I think he had a very good chance of making the WC squad; young player, excellent form, regular starter for a top half prem side in an ocean of clubs who have very few English players. How many did Citeh start today? Just Hart? I'm really gutted for the lad, and the squad will miss him hugely in the run in.

.....from being an " also ran" in the Chile game....Jay Rod has netted 16 times in 30 games...a truly excellent strike rate... at this level, and must have made Roy H. look up and take notice.

We all hope the injury might have looked worse than it really is..... but with only 5 Prem. games left ......a serious lay-off would count him out of the WC reckoning, and maybe even the start of next season.

Ironically, it may well make way for Rickie Lambert to take the last place for strikers in the 23 man squad. It was hard to see both of them getting there, but sadly (for Jay) ..fate has taken a hand.

According to Jay's Dad on Twitter, he is doing fine and in less pain than at the time of the incident.

Gonna be a long recovery I feel. 4-6months minimum. Gutted for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I follow a few players on Twitter but their parents? That is some seriously impressive stalking... :toppa:

Hope the diagnosis is better than hoped for although I do think it'll be a while before we see him back in the red & white of Southampton for a while. All the best for a speedy recovery Jay Rod. Also raises the question of whether we need 2 forwards in the summer or will Mayuka prove to be an adequate stand in?

In this case I couldn't give a monkey's about the WC, just want him back fit and healthy at some point in the future. If he's good enough he's young enough to play in three more major tournaments at least for England, priority is for him to have a complete recovery, not to rush him back. Absolutely gutted when I saw it, fortunately that sort of thing hasn't happened to a Saints player for a long time.