Cardiff Build Up Thread

The Cat

Kicks off at 1507 according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/fixtures

I wonder if Pochettino will mix things up. Clearly Rodriguez will be out and hopefully Boruc back. For some reason I can see Wanyama coming in for Cork. Would like to see Ramirez given a start too.

To be honest we really should be beating an average Cardiff team who will be massively low on confidence after being humped at home by Palace.

Really, we should be winning this convincingly, but I'd take a lowly 1-0 win right now.

Cardiff, safe to say, are going down... You just can't lose at home to a team promoted alongside you 0-3.

Boruc

Shaw Lovren Fonte Chambers

Schneiderlin Wanyama (this is a game where he can try and get match fit and improve IMO)

Gaston Lallana Davis

Lambert

Subs: Anyone who isn't injured ffs.

If Gaston's back, I'd start him.

I think Cardiff is a team we can afford to experiment against - solid back 5 (hopefully with Boruc), Lallana, and stick some of the kids in there. Reed, Gallagher, JWP, maybe McQueen. There's backup on the bench if we need it.

Prospective team:

----------------Boruc-------------

Chambers-Fonte-Lovren-Shaw

---------Wanyama--Reed-------

Lallana------Ramirez------JWP

--------------Gallagher----------

Course, if we were to put that team out, no doubt Cardiff would remember how to play football.

If Gaston's back, I'd start him.

I think Cardiff is a team we can afford to experiment against - solid back 5 (hopefully with Boruc), Lallana, and stick some of the kids in there. Reed, Gallagher, JWP, maybe McQueen. There's backup on the bench if we need it.

Prospective team:

----------------Boruc-------------

Chambers-Fonte-Lovren-Shaw

---------Wanyama--Reed-------

Lallana------Ramirez------JWP

--------------Gallagher----------

Course, if we were to put that team out, no doubt Cardiff would remember how to play football.

And drop an inform lambert? This isn't the time to drop him he's playing the best he has all season. Clueless

And drop an inform lambert? This isn't the time to drop him he's playing the best he has all season. Clueless

Not drop him so much as give Gallagher a chance. Lambert's been phenomenal this season, but I think he's already on the plane to Brazil. On the bench if needed for a Scotland-like impact sub.

atm,

.....I still rate Chambers ahead of Clyne, who still doesn't look 100% after injuries.

Likewise, maybe start with Cork and put Wanyama on 2nd half.

.and..IF MoPo is going to " experiment " with the likes of Reed and Gallagher (as previously indicated ), there's no better chance than v. Cardiff ..considering their League position.

What ever the outcome .....I'll be there to watch the game .....(one of my all- too- infrequent visits to So'ton)

atm,

.....I still rate Chambers ahead of Clyne, who still doesn't look 100% after injuries.

Likewise, maybe start with Cork and put Wanyama on 2nd half.

.and..IF MoPo is going to " experiment " with the likes of Reed and Gallagher (as previously indicated ), there's no better chance than v. Cardiff ..considering their League position.

What ever the outcome .....I'll be there to watch the game .....(one of my all- too- infrequent visits to So'ton)

There's no way chambers is better than Clyne.

There's no way chambers is better than Clyne.

Roger do you realise that other people do have differing opinions to yours in regards to Lambert and Clyne and repeating your views everytime you have a chance to isn't going to differ anyone else's opinion!!

Roger do you realise that other people do have differing opinions to yours in regards to Lambert and Clyne and repeating your views everytime you have a chance to isn't going to differ anyone else's opinion!!

People don't have to agree but I can put my opinion forward. How about you concentrate on yourself.

(Clyne).......not when he's fully fit perhaps, but on recent showing he doesn't look to be a shadow of how he was performing in the Autumn.....

Can't see this. Yes Clyne made his first error ever against spurs when he'd already picked up a knock but the week before we were all saying he was back to his best against Norwich. I don't think his performances have been much different from the autumn tbh.

Can't see this. Yes Clyne made his first error ever against spurs when he'd already picked up a knock but the week before we were all saying he was back to his best against Norwich.

I don't think his performances have been much different from the autumn tbh.

I think almost everyone was " at their best" in the Norwich game - weren't they? quite a few " returnees " to the first team have looked a bit lame upon their return after a long lay-off.

I'm not saying that Clyne is NOT a good player, but I think Chambers is the best choice just now. MP will probably rotate them in the RB spot.... until they are in real competition again.

I also thought Wanyama looked off pace in some of his " subbings-in" since coming back from his long lay-off.

There is always the psychological factor of fearing a recurrence of the injury after a long lay-off - even though one may have been " proven fit " it takes time to get back to your best.

I repeat again, a well-remembered Alan Shearer quote (at the peak of his career) ....when he played many times despite " not being on-form" .

He said; .. there is a lot of difference between being " fit enough to play " .....than being (properly) " match fit ".

Edited by david in sweden

I'd be tempted to play Shaw ahead of Clyne. Give us a bit of pace that we lack when JRod doesn't play.

Pace is one thing, decision making is another. Shaw has not yet showed he is sufficiently mature in his decision making in the final third. Gaston will play if fit, if not give one of the kids a go.

It will be a struggle without Jrod in my opinion. His pace and power gives us another dimension and edge to our attacks. We wont get behind the Cardiff defence without him so we will be reliant on fullbacks to get forward and put balls into the box for Lambert.

Can see us labouring to a 1-0 win - Lambert pen

oh my days. I read that and i was like physically painful in the head! Then i read it a bunch more times and i find it quite funny now. So bad it's good yo!

Thanks bear. I've been writing Mark Lawrenson's jokes for a while now and think it is going well. We are hoping to achieve cult status by the year 2022.

mark%20lawrenson55.jpg

Dare I say it but if fit, this could be Gaston's next chance to have a prolonged spell in the side.

Boruc

Clyne Fonte Lovren Shaw

Wanyama Schneiderlin

Davis Ramirez Lallana

Lambert

That's the team for me I think (if Clyne is fit).

Wanyama for Cork at half time if fitness is an issue.

My first 2014 trip to St. Marys!

Thing with Gaston, is he needs runners in front of him, whether that's Lallana or JRod.

He's never linked with Lambert too well.

Ramirez has talent, he has to adapt and this is his chance. This win would take us over the 50 point mark and it would be nice to finish on about 58 points.

Plenty on here seem to think this will be easy. Really? A must win for Cardiff. Think it could be a tight game and we will need to take our chances.

I'll go for 2-1. Lambert (pen). Lallana.

Every game is a must win game for Cardiff by virtue of the fact that they're 6 points adrift of the 17th placed club with an inferior GD and yet they've won 1 game out of their last 6 (against Fulham) Solskjaer obviously doesn't know what he's doing and evidently neither does Tan. Being a good manager coach in the Norwegian league means less than nothing in the elevated realms of the PL.