Pochettino's Future

Saint Charlie

Interesting quotes from him today via Simon Peach:

Pochettino: "#THFC still have a manager, I still have one more year on my contract, I don't talk about rumours and I'm focused on this job"

Pochettino: "I said back in January that at the end of the season I'll be speaking to the club. The possibilities are open" #SaintsFC #THFC

Interestingly, when asked if his long-term future was in the Premier League, Pochettino said: "Yes, yes, yes"

Pochettino: "I'd like to be in the Premier League, it is the best league in the world, & I'd like to be here as long as I can"

Seeing as there are unlikely to be any better PL jobs than Saints coming up this season other than at Spurs, and that MP wants to stay in the PL - is it almost a clear choice (if offered to him) between the two clubs?

Therefore, if Van Gaal does join Spurs as is widely tipped, would it be a signal that MP is pretty much nailed on to stay?

Obviously some brinkmanship from MP, and keeping his options open - but it rules out all these stories about foreign clubs, which is interesting.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/mauricio-pochettino-coy-over-possible-switch-to-become-tottenham-manager-saying-the-possibilities-are-open-9254164.html

Edited by Saint Charlie

Some interesting comments from Morgan as well on this......the players want to play for Pochettino and him staying or going will signal the intentions of the board.

Seems the players are in the same place as the fans on this. Unsure but hoping.

This will not be a popular view but with each passing day the more sure I am he is leaving. I would understand his reticence to extend his deal if our future was still unresolved but the season is over, give or take one place in the table. He needs to start building BEFORE the season ends with new player recruitment etc and so the distraction of having him reluctant to extend his contract when the fans, the board and the players want him to, is something that concerns me.

This will not be a popular view but with each passing day the more sure I am he is leaving. I would understand his reticence to extend his deal if our future was still unresolved but the season is over, give or take one place in the table. He needs to start building BEFORE the season ends with new player recruitment etc and so the distraction of having him reluctant to extend his contract when the fans, the board and the players want him to, is something that concerns me.

He may well be looking for a salary hike way beyond what the the board are initially prepared to offer. I believe he's poorly paid as PL managers go so he could even be looking to double his salary and those of his aides. Then there's the question of team

strengthening, may be looking for some guarantees there as well along lines of previous agreements he may or may not have had wth NC. No football manager could possibly be content with certain situations that exist at SFC (like the GK options) and yet the board seem reluctant to do much about them.

I am 100% convinced that Poch...will still be our Manager Coach next season and on a 3 year contract..:):):)

I will still be supporting him and the mighty Saints from block 37:)

My daughter will still be telling me what to relay to Poch from the coaching angle...:rolleyes:

AND

Spurs have 100% already agreed to employ their Dutch Van Gaal for a 3 year period after the World Cup.

For the benefit of the NON Saints supporting...posters who thoroughly spoil this forum day after day..

I AM A HAPPY CLAPPER AND PROUD OF MYSELF:p

Edited by ottery st mary

Well we have around 35 million pounds to spend in the summer, none of our players want to be sold and we will do all we can to keep them. Oh and Gaston doesn't want to leave either, he is actually happy here. But his agent wouldn't mind a payday!

Given all these facts, I'm 70% confident Pochettino will stay.

Well we have around 35 million pounds to spend in the summer, none of our players want to be sold and we will do all we can to keep them. Oh and Gaston doesn't want to leave either, he is actually happy here. But his agent wouldn't mind a payday!

Given all these facts, I'm 70% confident Pochettino will stay.

Who says we have 35 million to spend in the summer ?

Who says we have 35 million to spend in the summer ?

IIRC Guan has a track record for good ITK snippets...

Would have hoped for more than a 70% chance of MP staying though :)

Edit: yep, Guan was the one giving us a ":)" on the player transfer thread(s) last summer just before a transfer was announced. Welcome back sir :)

Edited by trousers

I agree, Most other Clubs in the position of having a GOOD YOUNG PROGRESSIVE Manager with ONLY one year left on his contract, would have locked him up in chains long ago, until he signed a NEW 5 year deal

But not Katharina and her Board. Well IMHO, it's no use waiting until Pochettino receives an offer from another Club

The absolute NON movement on this and many other major matters ( which should NOT be left until the end of season ), SHOULD tell you which way the Board are going to go in their forward thinking and planning

IT WON'T BE UPWARDS

I agree, Most other Clubs in the position of having a GOOD YOUNG PROGRESSIVE Manager with ONLY one year left on his contract, would have locked him up in chains long ago, until he signed a NEW 5 year deal

But not Katharina and her Board. Well IMHO, it's no use waiting until Pochettino receives an offer from another Club

The absolute NON movement on this and many other major matters ( which should NOT be left until the end of season ), SHOULD tell you which way the Board are going to go in their forward thinking and planning

IT WON'T BE UPWARDS

Your knickers seem a bit wet.

IT WON'T BE UPWARDS

So the Board is planning to take us downwards?

IT WON'T BE UPWARDS

Stop using capitals you f#cking peen

I agree that today's statement from Pochettino is a bit disappointing because it doesn't put minds at rest and you could be right about him leaving, though there's no job for him elsewhere that we are aware of. I'm hoping his reticence is about the extent to which the Board will improve the team, Guan's information notwithstanding.

IT WON'T BE UPWARDS

Why would Ms Liebherr go to the effort of putting together an entirely new board, featuring Ralph Krueger who whilst not a big name in football is in other fields, just to take us down wards?

Do fans seriously think because they have done everything in the public that they are actually doing nothing.

Take a deep breath, change your nappy, and chill out.

I agree that today's statement from Pochettino is a bit disappointing because it doesn't put minds at rest and you could be right about him leaving, though there's no job for him elsewhere that we are aware of. I'm hoping his reticence is about the extent to which the Board will improve the team, Guan's information notwithstanding.

No other job for him elsewhere ? Where do you get that from then. There are plenty of other jobs for bright football managers, some that you might not even suspect. I don't buy into the Van Gaal is a done deal thingy, he's 63 this summer and has been off of the club circuit for a while, bit of a dinosaur. When I saw his dutch side against France they were lamentably poor, it certainly wasn't a game plan that would get him anywhere in the PL.

Wasn't there an article in the Telegraph this week

hhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10749775/Mauricio-Pochettino-and-Louis-van-Gaal-on-Spurs-wish-list-as-Tim-Sherwood-prepares-to-go.html

Worth considering for balance that MP has said already they have begun preparation for next season, and as he clearly reminds people every week, he does have another year on his contract.

If he wants to stay in the PL, then he doesnt have that many options...it would be tough for him to walk away from Saints and the setup we have, although obviously Spurs may be an attraction if they really want him.

But he won't be joining Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal, Man Utd this summer, so if he wants to stay in the PL it would surely be either Saints or Spurs.

Hopefully they will announce Van Gaal soon and then we can be more confident.

Also - the chat from the players is towards the club to get it sorted. Not towards Pochettino to beg him to stay.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Worth considering for balance that MP has said already they have begun preparation for next season, and as he clearly reminds people every week, he does have another year on his contract.

He won't stay with us next season for 20K a week, he's a professional guy though and will do his job whilst he's here and that means preparing for next season.

I'm about 75% convinced he will sign a new deal here, but I would hope that the board is thinking about possible successors if worst comes to worst and MP decides not to renew his contract and quits. If Guan's info is true, the club is in a good position to attract a more than reasonable replacement (though I would rather MP stays).

He won't stay with us next season for 20K a week, he's a professional guy though and will do his job whilst he's here and that means preparing for next season.

Wages wouldn't be the issue. Ambition would be what he is concerned about. If he feels the tools he is handed for next season are not as good as what he has had this season then it would be understandable for him to leave.

IT WON'T BE UPWARDS

Perhaps you can tell us why having a 5 year contract will make any difference. If Spurs want him, and Pochettino wants to go he'll go whether he has a 1 year contract or a 100 year contract. It's not like a player contract where a team will wait for a year to sign on a free contract. Spurs won't want to coast for 2 years. This is why I am pretty much sure that Van Gaal already has the job.

Wages wouldn't be the issue. Ambition would be what he is concerned about. If he feels the tools he is handed for next season are not as good as what he has had this season then it would be understandable for him to leave.

Salary is an issue, no-one likes to feel underpaid for the task they're doing and by all accounts MP is one of the least paid managers in the PL.

Perhaps you can tell us why having a 5 year contract will make any difference. If Spurs want him, and Pochettino wants to go he'll go whether he has a 1 year contract or a 100 year contract. It's not like a player contract where a team will wait for a year to sign on a free contract. Spurs won't want to coast for 2 years. This is why I am pretty much sure that Van Gaal already has the job.

The only "insurance" in giving a 5 year deal is that if the person is touted by "otheres", they would have to Buy Out the Contract. Pochettino only has one year left, so he is ripe for the picking by others so to speak

Our Board, by NOT tying him up with a long term deal, is not showing the Ambition that was here under Markus/Cortese

Rightly or wrongly, Markus gave Nicola Free Reign in how he went about achieving Markus's Dream

Once that had been achieved, Katharina decided to take over, and has made it very clear that we have to " be accountable " which is a very different ball game (pun intended)

Salary is an issue, no-one likes to feel underpaid for the task they're doing and by all accounts MP is one of the least paid managers in the PL.

Take it this is pure guess work, rather than based or backed up by any facts?

Would explain why he was so keen to bank that top 8 bonus i suppose. Poor guy is skint

Really, really hope he stays along with every player that we want to keep (Adam, Luke, Morgan etc. etc.).

But if not then I will still be following the Saints next season with whoever is in charge and whoever is playing for us.

Glad youve said that. I think alot of people support mopo rather than Saints and will change clubs if/when mopo does

Hope the board realise thats how it works

He'll be looking at his options. He doesn't know if he's leaving. Is that not really obvious? He'll look at what offers he has on the table and make a decision. Maybe he's leaning one way or the other but that information is literally kept inside his brain and maybe mentioned to one or two others. None of us have a clue.

I think the fact that he wants to stay in England is encouraging though. As the OP pointed out, he's unlikely to get a better offer than Spurs and we can compete with them. They're a bigger club and have more money to spend but we're at their level on the pitch and he knows the squad here wants to play for him. No guarantee of that at Spurs, and I also expect that we'd be more patient than Daniel Levy if the team goes on a bad run.

But as I say, nobody knows. Stop being 'increasingly sure' either way without any evidence!

Why any of you dins think Spurs have any serious interest in Pochettino, a mid-table manager in two countries, I'll never know. Spurs want someone to virtually guarantee 4th, Poch virtually guarantees eighth.

If Poch ends up at Spurs it will be because at least three other candidates turned them down.

The only "insurance" in giving a 5 year deal is that if the person is touted by "otheres", they would have to Buy Out the Contract. Pochettino only has one year left, so he is ripe for the picking by others so to speak

Our Board, by NOT tying him up with a long term deal, is not showing the Ambition that was here under Markus/Cortese

Rightly or wrongly, Markus gave Nicola Free Reign in how he went about achieving Markus's Dream

Once that had been achieved, Katharina decided to take over, and has made it very clear that we have to " be accountable " which is a very different ball game (pun intended)

You realise that Markus sadly was only with us for one season and no promotions? His biggest signing was probably Fonte or Lambert at about £1m.

All promotions, all multimillion pound signings were paid for by KL.

But now she is more into Saints, attending games, smiling, the club say plans are to keep moving forward, that finances mean no player MP wants to keep will be sold and money to spend.

Where does all this KL is won't spend anymore come from?

Maybe she is reaching her limit but nothing coming out indicates that. NC's first interview was much like the recent ones talking about being mindful of being self funding.

KL has spent more than anyone else, including her father, on Saints but is portrayed as a villian. Why?

Things may change but no-one is certain to leave. MP is talking about unfinished work here. Shaw is not planning on going.

Some may go, we may not spend a fortune but just as likely players stay with a couple of good additions