How many do you think will be sold if any?

Barry Sanchez

Agree with Alpine but think Clyne would be more likely to go than Chambers. If Lallana has a fantastic world cup, I think some big offers could come in and both he and the club would be tempted to accept. On another note, I can see Forte, Hooiveld, Guly and Isgrove moving on this summer for nominal fees.

I think anywhere between 0 and 20 players will be sold, give or take. I am guessing that those with a "glass half empty / completely empty" perspective on life will tell us (on the basis of pure conjecture, or because they are just miserable) that all our best players will be sold, and that we will buy nobody of any use/value. Those whose glass is neither half full nor half empty (if that is possible!) will take a more reasoned approach, which may or may not prove to be correct. The glass half full brigade will expect us to keep Shaw, Lallana and Schneiderlin and will also expect positive signings.

There you go = that should cover it all. Might as well close the thread now before it is derailed by the usual suspects.

Agree with Alpine but think Clyne would be more likely to go than Chambers. If Lallana has a fantastic world cup, I think some big offers could come in and both he and the club would be tempted to accept. On another note, I can see Forte, Hooiveld, Guly and Isgrove moving on this summer for nominal fees.

Guly, Forte and Isgrove are out of contract this summer so they'd be moving on as free agents with no nominal fees attached.

Sharp will probably be moving out again, no doubt on loan with us continuing to pick up part of his salary.

Other than that I think Morgan has nailed his colours to the mast so he'll be off and probably Shaw as well. We'll need to sort out the Clyne/Chambers situation as well, Nat won't want to play second fiddle for long, still think we've got that one wrong, not a big Chambers fan myself, solid but Clyne is better.

Guly, Hooiveld, Gazzaniga, Osvaldo and Shaw to leave, possibly Schneiderlin, Ramirez and Lallana. But in all honesty, it's difficult to know. This is the biggest summer of uncertainty since we were in administration. What worries me is that the World Cup will slow down getting things sorted in good time

Apparently at the Balague event at Waterstones, Jesus Perez strongly suggested that the club saw Chambers as a better RB than Clyne. MoPo seems to pick Chambers far more reguarly, so Clyne could well leave. He would certainly improve most squads in the league..
What exactly did he say? Not overly surprising that they look at it that way, but surprised he was so candid. Shows how hard it hard it is for us to build a squad, very few decent players will want to sit on our bench for half a season.

What else did Perez mention?

Shows how hard it hard it is for us to build a squad, very few decent players will want to sit on our bench for half a season.

What else did Perez mention?

This is a problem that's easily overcome by getting into Europe, there are far more games to be played and most players get a fair amount of chance. You can even extend it to the Cups, if you've got a decent squad you can put out respectable sides in the Cups and progress. Whereas if you've got a weak squad you end up with good players suffering from the failings of poor players and the team doesn't progress.

The key (glue) for me is Mopo

If Mopo stays - nobody will leave*

If he leaves - expect 5-15 to leave*

Players like Guly, Jos and Forte should and will leave regardless of Mopo

This post started with some promise.. then we realise that 15 leave and the club folds.

Agree its all down to whether MP remains at the helm.

Kelvin Davis (club captain) - Stay as GK 3rd choice/Coach

Nathaniel Clyne - Would understand if he went, though think we should keep

Maya Yoshida - Fine as a 4th CB

Morgan Schneiderlin - Stay

Dejan Lovren - Stay

José Fonte - Stay

Rickie Lambert (vice-captain) - Stay

Steven Davis - Stay

Jay Rodriguez - Stay

Gastón Ramírez - Go

Victor Wanyama - Stay

James Ward-Prowse - Stay

Jack Cork - Stay

Adam Lallana (captain) - Stay

Guly do Prado - Go

Calum Chambers - Stay

Luke Shaw - Think we might get 1 more year out of him but would understand if he went

Paulo Gazzaniga - Go

Jos Hooiveld - Go

Artur Boruc - Stay

Matt Targett - Stay

Harrison Reed - Stay

Sam Gallagher - Stay

Dani Osvaldo - Go

Bring in a new GK, CB, AM, ST

Would be the ideal summer for me.

This is a problem that's easily overcome by getting into Europe, there are far more games to be played and most players get a fair amount of chance. You can even extend it to the Cups, if you've got a decent squad you can put out respectable sides in the Cups and progress. Whereas if you've got a weak squad you end up with good players suffering from the failings of poor players and the team doesn't progress.
Easily overcome? Not easy, that's part of the problem! But yes, that's one of the reasons it's harder for us to build the right kind of squad than those playing in Europe.

I think Guly will stay. Versatile, popular character within the squad, cheap and flexible squad member and won't get too many better offers.

Depends what we're offering him doesn't it ? Can't see us keeping him on to play a few minutes every now and again really.

He's out of contract this summer and at the last we heard hadn't been offered a new one.

Dejan Lovren - Stay

José Fonte - Stay

Steven Davis - Stay

Jay Rodriguez - Stay

Gastón Ramírez - Go

Victor Wanyama - Stay

James Ward-Prowse - Stay

Jack Cork - Stay

Guly do Prado - Go

Calum Chambers - Stay

Luke Shaw - Think we might get 1 more year out of him but would understand if he went

Paulo Gazzaniga - Go

Jos Hooiveld - Go

Artur Boruc - Stay

Matt Targett - Stay

Harrison Reed - Stay

Sam Gallagher - Stay

Dani Osvaldo - Go

This

Think that Osvaldo and Ramirez will definitely go.

Think Lallana will stay, but would not be surprised to see two of the others go. I think we want to keep them, but cannot see the hopeless Moyes accepting he can't have Shaw. If we sell two of the ones we want to keep, it should at least generate enough money to build a better side for next season.

Really hope we don't end up with some half arsed swap deals that give us either the over the hill Evra, or the completely useless Cleverley.

I would sell Shaw if it meant we kept everyone else. In an ideal world we keep everyone we wish to, but will that happen?

The one player we can Ill afford to lose though is Lallana. Virtually Irreplaceable. JRod will probably still be here next season now, surely he'd fail any medical he went on, so that's a plus.

IMO we will get rid of Osvaldo, sell Ramirez, end Jos and Guly's association with the club, and probably lose Shaw to big money.

After that, we wait and see. Lovren may be sought after, as would be Morgan and Adam. We need stability this summer like never before, and that would mean keeping Pochettino IMO.

Whatever happens, we will a) still have a core of a decent side, whatever happens, and b) have lots of money to sign replacement players. So no point getting too negative just yet.

Dejan Lovren - Stay

José Fonte - Stay

Steven Davis - Stay

Jay Rodriguez - Stay

Gastón Ramírez - Go

Victor Wanyama - Stay

James Ward-Prowse - Stay

Jack Cork - Stay

Guly do Prado - Go

Calum Chambers - Stay

Paulo Gazzaniga - Go

Jos Hooiveld - Go

Artur Boruc - Stay

Matt Targett - Stay

Harrison Reed - Stay

Sam Gallagher - Stay

Dani Osvaldo - Go

Who are we getting in?

Zippy, Bungle and Frodo?

Of course it depends on what the new board's 'project' is, but I can't see Lallana or Schneiderlin bailing out on the club just yet. Shaw maybe, but he's young and more impressionable perhaps, although he has been at saints since age 7.

If we could sell Osvaldo and Ramirez for £20m-odd or more, plus a transfer kitty of say 10-15m then we can bring in 2, 3, maybe even 4decent players. A CB, a GK, a STK and a AM.

In response to OP, I would only say 4-7 players going if you include fringe players like Sharp, Forte and Jos. Would like to see Gazza re-launch his career in L2/non league but have a feeling we'll loan him out instead.

In terms of the first team squad, Osvaldo and Gaston look the most likely, Osvaldo because his attitude is dreadful and Gaston because he'll want more first team football, probably back in Serie A. Shaw could be sold but then so could any player in the PL.

Remy is making noises for example about wanting to go to a top 4 club, probably Arsenal and Eriksen is making similar noises at Spurs. What these players don't realise is that there's probably about 20 such clubs in Europe but Serie A doesn't have the £££ that they and their dodgy agents want so you are looking at La Liga or the PL and that limits you to half-a-dozen clubs. Given that these clubs will only make 3-4 major signings and need to offload to make space because of FAPP rules, this is why the market is so slow but the idiots on here make it this scenario is unique to Saints.

In response to OP, I would only say 4-7 players going if you include fringe players like Sharp, Forte and Jos. Would like to see Gazza re-launch his career in L2/non league but have a feeling we'll loan him out instead.

In terms of the first team squad, Osvaldo and Gaston look the most likely, Osvaldo because his attitude is dreadful and Gaston because he'll want more first team football, probably back in Serie A. Shaw could be sold but then so could any player in the PL.

Remy is making noises for example about wanting to go to a top 4 club, probably Arsenal and Eriksen is making similar noises at Spurs. What these players don't realise is that there's probably about 20 such clubs in Europe but Serie A doesn't have the £££ that they and their dodgy agents want so you are looking at La Liga or the PL and that limits you to half-a-dozen clubs. Given that these clubs will only make 3-4 major signings and need to offload to make space because of FAPP rules, this is why the market is so slow but the idiots on here make it this scenario is unique to Saints.

What about the Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and Série A in Brazil? They have an awful lot of money as well, or quite a few of their clubs similar to our own League, you think Eriksen will struggle for a move?

Of course it depends on what the new board's 'project' is, but I can't see Lallana or Schneiderlin bailing out on the club just yet. Shaw maybe, but he's young and more impressionable perhaps, although he has been at saints since age 7.

If we could sell Osvaldo and Ramirez for £20m-odd or more, plus a transfer kitty of say 10-15m then we can bring in 2, 3, maybe even 4decent players. A CB, a GK, a STK and a AM.

Can we throw out this "project" ********, there never was a "project" as such or not one the fans wanted to see and hear, the reality is get the Sky money and survive in this League, get the players from the academy and bring them through and sell them.

In turn reducing outlay on players and giving the stakeholers a higher dividend of Sky pot every year.

European football, the attempt of and trophies are an added bonus and possibility to be thrown at the gullible newcomer fan who has no clue to how the heirachy and order of fooball actually works.

Can we throw out this "project" ********, there never was a "project" as such or not one the fans wanted to see and hear, the reality is get the Sky money and survive in this League, get the players from the academy and bring them through and sell them.

In turn reducing outlay on players and giving the stakeholers a higher dividend of Sky pot every year.

European football, the attempt of and trophies are an added bonus and possibility to be thrown at the gullible newcomer fan who has no clue to how the heirachy and order of fooball actually works.

You then?

Ok, for project read ambition then.

Ok, for project read ambition then.

The ambition of the club like mosts is to spout European crap but hope to high ****e they dont achieve it, imagine European football with our squad and no real intent to strengthen?

Rinse and repeat of what we have nearly always done since Sky have come along, stay here and collect the money, where has that money gone? ****s knows.

The ambition of the club like mosts is to spout European crap but hope to high ****e they dont achieve it, imagine European football with our squad and no real intent to strengthen?

Rinse and repeat of what we have nearly always done since Sky have come along, stay here and collect the money, where has that money gone? ****s knows.

Question for you Barry - if that is what you truly believe, why do you support Saints / Follow football ?

I will admit to having felt the same about the above in the past but in all honesty, I have enjoyed watching this Southampton team progress over the last 5 seasons, I have really enjoyed how we have competed for most of this season. I have enjoyed watching Southampton finally produce some players who could compete for the English national side. I have enjoyed the style of football the team/manager are playing.

Like all fans I don't like seeing us lose especially games that 'on paper' feel we should win (Sunderland, Villa, Cardiff etc..)

I was disappointed with the FA cup (to save posting on another thread - I did not/do not want to swap positions with Sunderland or Hull).

I am also aware that players and managers come and go but then thats nothing new.

But you do not seem to enjoy football at all - does it really get you that down ? do you take any pleasure in watching Southampton at all ?

Personally I am not going to worry too much about what might or might not happen over the summer and who might or might not go. At the end of the day there is nothing I can do about it. That said, if you want a range of opinions -

I would be in the camp that tends to think a lot will depend on whether the manager stays or goes.

If he stays then I believe that those players most of us would want to stay will stay. I would like to think that after the progress the team has made this season that they would like to give one more season to see how far the team really can go (A domestic cup / Europa League qualification etc..) If there is no further progress than 08th to 10th then I think the manager and players will look to move on in 2015/2016

If there was one player (of those we would want to keep) this summer who I think is most likely to go then its Morgan. He has shown himself to be one of the top performers in his position and yet cannot get international recognition at Southampton. He may well get that by moving to a 'bigger' club.

In meantime - keep smiling

I care and have a love for the game hence my post, do you agree it fair for fans to pay a fee to watch something knowing the club does not want the, to win as it could hamper "their" goals ie winning the Cup and getting into Europe?

Rather the club just came out and said

"Due to the continued slant towards the larger clubs (all through the League systems)there is no way now we can ever realistically attempt to win the League or qualify for the Champions League so we are going to treadwater in the middle of the table and be labelled a plucky underdog by the media, they will pat us on the head and we shall nod enthusiastically as we love being in the limelight (being a patsy), we will get a couple of good results a season to quell the possible unrest of the supporters (patsies) and tell them of a long long journey being embarked upon, so long in fact no one actually knows if we have started it, finished it or are acutally on it"

Due to the continued slant towards the larger clubs (all through the League systems)there is no way now we can ever realistically attempt to win the League or qualify for the Champions League so we are going to treadwater in the middle of the table and be labelled a plucky underdog by the media, they will pat us on the head and we shall nod enthusiastically as we love being in the limelight (being a patsy), we will get a couple of good results a season to quell the possible unrest of the supporters (patsies) and tell them of a long long journey being embarked upon, so long in fact no one actually knows if we have started it, finished it or are acutally on it

that's no way to sell season tickets, Saints FC!

The key (glue) for me is Mopo

If Mopo stays - nobody will leave*

If he leaves - expect 5-15 to leave*

Players like Guly, Jos and Forte should and will leave regardless of Mopo

Pretty much this, and I'm 50/50 on whether he'll stay or not atm. I think if he stays we'll see Osvaldo playing for us again next year, if only because we'll have trouble shifting him and probably don't have the funds to sign two decent strikers. I think if he stays we'll sell Ramirez and possibly Clyne and some deadwood like Hooiveld and Guly. If he goes I think Schneiderlin, Osvaldo, Ramirez and Shaw will be off, I think Lallana will spend his whole career here.

I care and have a love for the game hence my post, do you agree it fair for fans to pay a fee to watch something knowing the club does not want the, to win as it could hamper "their" goals ie winning the Cup and getting into Europe?

Rather the club just came out and said

"Due to the continued slant towards the larger clubs (all through the League systems)there is no way now we can ever realistically attempt to win the League or qualify for the Champions League so we are going to treadwater in the middle of the table and be labelled a plucky underdog by the media, they will pat us on the head and we shall nod enthusiastically as we love being in the limelight (being a patsy), we will get a couple of good results a season to quell the possible unrest of the supporters (patsies) and tell them of a long long journey being embarked upon, so long in fact no one actually knows if we have started it, finished it or are acutally on it"

Is that what really happened with the FA cup ? (I assume this is what you are alluding to)

I agree with your sentiment but with the FA Cup we really did have a team out there that were capable of winning that game. Afterwards, to a man they all came out and said how disappointed they were but in reality the performance levels were not good enough. Was the defeat really a club decision ? I would like to think not, I just think the players let everyone down with the way they palyed. That said, pretty sure Lambert didn't deliberately miss from 6 yards !

From another perspective, If our team is that good then we were more than capable of beating Cardiff this weekend, Sunderland in the league home and away, Villa at home, Norwich away etc.. and yet f*cked that up. If (as some posters mentioned on previous threads) the manager was more interested in the league because he would get better performance pay then how do you explain those games ?

I am very disappointed with the FA Cup exit as the road to Wembley after Sunderland game was a great opportunity to get to the final but I do not think the defeat was anything more than a poor performance from the players, just like those 'winnable' league games we have managed to lose this season.

As for winning the league - unfortunately as a Southampton fan I do not think it is a realistic goal because of the way teams like Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd etc.. seem to have money to throw away, that said I'm pretty sure that the team/club do not go out each season with intention of not trying to win it.

Have taken this thread off topic now - apologies for that. Will slink away quietly.......

Oh yes it was so ironic, my ironic bells all lit up, are you an observational or satire comdery specialist?

No, just someone who, like many others I suspect, finds your continual look at me, know it all, opinion as fact and negative postings incredibly tiresome but I suspect that this is the reaction that you want.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Edited by miserableoldgit

No, just someone who, like many others I suspect, finds your continual look at me, know it all, opinion as fact and negative postings incredibly tiresome but I suspect that this is the reaction that you want.

So tiresome you spend the time to be self righteous and reply? Ironic or what?

Sent from the Hoth system on my old brick Nokia.

Dejan Lovren - Stay

José Fonte - Stay

Steven Davis - Stay

Jay Rodriguez - Stay

Gastón Ramírez - Go

Victor Wanyama - Stay

James Ward-Prowse - Stay

Jack Cork - Stay

Guly do Prado - Go

Calum Chambers - Stay

Paulo Gazzaniga - Go

Jos Hooiveld - Go

Artur Boruc - Stay

Matt Targett - Stay

Harrison Reed - Stay

Sam Gallagher - Stay

Dani Osvaldo - Go

On the whole I'd agree with that. I think so much is dependant on MoPo staying though. I can see potential that Schneiderlin will get the itchiest feet given his international frustrations and will be tempted by a big move. I'm undecided on Shaw, I think he would be willing to stay another year so it boils down to how ambitious the club intends to be in keeping him, ultimately I think money will talk.

I think we should prepare ourselves for one big sale. From a balancing the books point of view I would hope the sale of Osvaldo and cutting the likes of Sharp, Barnard etc will cover the shortfall, if needs be add Ramirez to that list. In that scenario it would hopefully allow us more power to fight off the offers for the crown jewels.

So tiresome you spend the time to be self righteous and reply? Ironic or what?

Sent from the Hoth system on my old brick Nokia.

Not sure what is self righteous about me criticizing you and yes I did spend time replying - probably about three minutes of my day - which is, I admit, about two and a half minutes more than you are worth.

Not sure what is self righteous about me criticizing you and yes I did spend time replying - probably about three minutes of my day - which is, I admit, about two and a half minutes more than you are worth.

Put me on your ignore list, your patter is awful.

Shaw has been told he is not for sale, which suits him and his family as he doesn't want to leave.

Don't know about the others but think if Shaw isn't for sale, Morgan, Lallana, Lovren etc have no chance of going. I hope Gaston stays, think he's superb personally. All down to who Poch wants at the club in 2014/15 and, of course, if he is here himself! Again, nothing to suggest otherwise inside the club.

May I just say well done to the OP for such an original thread btw.

Shaw has been told he is not for sale, which suits him and his family as he doesn't want to leave.

Don't know about the others but think if Shaw isn't for sale, Morgan, Lallana, Lovren etc have no chance of going. I hope Gaston stays, think he's superb personally. All down to who Poch wants at the club in 2014/15 and, of course, if he is here himself! Again, nothing to suggest otherwise inside the club.

May I just say well done to the OP for such an original thread btw.

Cheers no need for thanks Jack.

that sounds more promising! i would love it if we was stick two fingers up at man utd, chelsea etc like ur suggesting. Keep yo dumb money, abromoviches!

that sounds more promising! i would love it if we was stick two fingers up at man utd, chelsea etc like ur suggesting. Keep yo dumb money, abromoviches!

However those who have followed Saints for many years will no that no player who's determined to leave to further his career (in his way of thinking) has ever been not for sale. Every player has a price.

However those who have followed Saints for many years will no that no player who's determined to leave to further his career (in his way of thinking) has ever been not for sale. Every player has a price.
Sounds like Shaw is happy here, for the time being at least. A year or two down the line might be a bit different though.

My only real concern is Schneiderlin, he's ambitious, wants interntaional and european football and would tempt plenty of other clubs, would be very hard to replace as well.

Sounds like Shaw is happy here, for the time being at least. A year or two down the line might be a bit different though.

My only real concern is Schneiderlin, he's ambitious, wants interntaional and european football and would tempt plenty of other clubs, would be very hard to replace as well.

Arsenal and Utd, will both need some reasonably priced strengthing this summer for their Europa League campaigns.