Exams this year

kwsaint

My (step) granddaughter has just started her self-imposed isolation for 3 weeks of revision. She has landed a fantastic job IF she gets a 2.1. She's job hunting if she doesn't. Fingers crossed for her!

Good luck to her BTF

If you had asked me 4 years ago if I ever expected to be doing exams again I would have laughed at the suggestion, seeing as I am fast approaching 40 now. But in 2011 I decided to do a taster course with the Open University and I totally caught the bug. I'm now on a pathway to complete a part-time degree in environmental studies and in June I will sit my first level 2 exam. I'm pretty confident about it this time around. I was a nervous wreck before sitting a level 1 exam last year, as it was my first proper one since I took my GCSEs in 1991, but I breezed it in the end.

My biggest problem is this bloody place. It's far too much of a distraction when I should be studying!

Dreadful! Don't know viva voce but we'll move on; 80,000 words in 6 months. 13.500 words a month, 3000 words a week, 75 words an hour. And they say nurses have it tough....

Viva voce just means an oral questioning on your dissertation as opposed to a written one.

Chemistry exams in May/June for me, in the second year of my degree at Southampton Uni - bricking it somewhat! On the upside, I've made things easier for myself by choosing an elective module in first-year physics with material we've already covered and a multiple choice exam :p

My (step) granddaughter has just started her self-imposed isolation for 3 weeks of revision. She has landed a fantastic job IF she gets a 2.1. She's job hunting if she doesn't. Fingers crossed for her!

What's she looking to do, BTF?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Or an attempt to show how well you can cram and how well you know the exam technique. And I know that that is cynical, but there is a truth in it.

Indeed there is. It seems utterly senseless to me that we spend years and years preparing our kids for an event that they will never have to face again in real life outside of education. Not only that, we evaluate their ability to function in the workplace on their ability to prepare for and perform in such a unique and un-necessarily stressful situation.

Indeed there is. It seems utterly senseless to me that we spend years and years preparing our kids for an event that they will never have to face again in real life outside of education. Not only that, we evaluate their ability to function in the workplace on their ability to prepare for and perform in such a unique and un-necessarily stressful situation.

For sure! I've never felt so far that my examinations have ever truly in any way demonstrated much. I think my class work etc that I do all year is a far better indicator of how I think. And I'm saying this as someone who has generally done very well in exams so far.

I don't like to brag about my qualifications as not only do I have 4 GCSES but also a city and guilds in travel and tourism. I also have a certificate in manual handling and am a qualified first aider. I hope to add to my long list of qualifications by achieving the NVQ level 2 is administration as I wish to progress my career from printer cartridge telesalesist to warehouse administrator where I can use my manual handling and admin skills fully.

I'm taking the final batch of exams for my NCTJ Diploma (National Council for the Training of Journalists). 120 words per minute shorthand, sub-editing/design and a portfolio. Hopefully those are the last I'll ever do.

Good luck to everyone preparing for something!