DM: Mauricio Pochettino has failed this season

Glasgow_Saint

It was disappointing that we changed the team, however we should have beaten them with the team put out and Lambert missing from a yard out obviously didn't help. A lot of the blame has to go on the players in that game.

It was one of those things, it is unlikely to happen next season (unless in European contention/threat of relegation), I think people need to get over it.

Adrian Durham is a numpty as well.

I hope you're right, but I find it a bit unbelievable, Jeff: MP hasn't shown any sign of remorse about his team selection.

Good job then that no-one has suggested we aren't playing in the FA Cup next season or that we'd definitely beat Sunderland or get to Wembley.

:lol: Those MP apologists are very good at the straw man argument, aren't they SM? In fairness though, it's all they've got.

The key things in that article is the picture of Lambert's miss. Zee

Aww players were tired after the Hull game.... Sure thats reasonable :lol:

You play on the Tuesday - youll be tired on the Saturday, that makes sense.

Funny though...when it came to the league:

Tuesday Jan 28th we played Arsenal and then that Saturday we played Fulham. Total changes = 1

Sun 22nd played Spurs, Thurs 26th played Cardiff and Sunday 29th played Everton. Total changes 2

Sunday 1st December played Chelsea, Weds 4th played Villa. Changes 1

Tuesday 11th played Hull, Saturday 15th played Sunderland. Changes 6 :?

Not sure if you are being thick or a wum?

Changes

Boruc to KD. - for worse -1

Chambers to Clyne - first +1 choice back - for better.

CBs - Fonte injured

Cork to VW - first choice back (and better player into) +1

Morgan to JWP justified by saying Morgan not 100% so judgement call (one several pres match poster called for. Mistake IMHO. Although did correct on hour. -1

JayRod to Guly. Although club stated JayRod had knock I think mistake as Morgan, again corrected on hour.

Team had;

6 full Internationals

3 U21s

2 others

These mass changes - two were improve side, one was this keeper thing lots do. And two in midfield.

Those who came in..

JWP started most prem games.

KD and Guly involved regularly.

But facts don't make an interesting OP or thread

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Are we Saints or pompey?

Stability or Icarus.

Would prefer to take the Glory when we deserve it and can cope with it.

What on earth does any of this mean?

How would progress in the FA Cup make us Pompey?

And why couldn't we "cope" with, say, an FA Cup Semi final appearance? What would happen to us? How would our inability to "cope" manifest itself?

I hope you're right, but I find it a bit unbelievable, Jeff: MP hasn't shown any sign of remorse about his team selection.

He doesnt strike me as the type to apologise, frankly thats not his nature and probably the reason why so many fans havent warmed or taken to him. Sorry seems to be the hardest word ;)

His refusal to speak English 16 months into the job also wont help in that regard.

The FA cup apporach is Mopo's biggest mistake so far, but not his only mistake. Refusal to speak English, Osvaldo, Puncheon, Clyne, Cork, Clattenburg, top 4 talk, 34% win ratio, Jan transfers, agent nonsense (real madrid pmsl) and Plan B (lack of) just a few other errors from mopo this season imho

Also went back and checked. Couldnt find any examples where mopo made 6 changes for back to back league games.

Even during his Espanyol days, even over our xmas period where we played 5 games in 13 days.

Finally.... Whats happened to McQueen? He was so important to our cup run, but not needed at all in the league?

Edited by Glasgow_Saint

He doesnt strike me as the type to apologise, frankly thats not his nature and probably the reason why so many fans havent warmed or taken to him. Sorry seems to be the hardest word ;)

His refusal to speak English 16 months into the job also wont help in that regard.

The FA cup apporach is Mopo's biggest mistake so far, but not his only mistake. Refusal to speak English, Osvaldo, Puncheon, Clyne, Cork, Clattenburg, top 4 talk, 34% win ratio, Jan transfers, agent nonsense (real madrid pmsl) and Plan B (lack of) just a few other errors from mopo this season imho

fisherman.gif

9.8/10

Also went back and checked. Couldnt find any examples where mopo made 6 changes for back to back league games.

Even during his Espanyol days, even over our xmas period where we played 5 games in 13 days.

Finally.... Whats happened to McQueen? He was so important to our cup run, but not needed at all in the league?

9.2/10

So many mistakes and still you claim that you want him to stay?

attention_whore.gif

How weak - minded are you?

Can you not accept that people you admire can make mistakes?

Of course I can and I can say it too.

Just dont understand his chain of thought (if you assume he has one)...

Hence the question. (not that he ever answers them though)

A goal was scored that no keeper would have saved and we missed at least one chance that even Ali Dha would have taken. you cant legislate for that type of thing.....oh and by the way we won the FA cup as a 2nd tier club against a top division side against all odds.Its football ,and when GS stops wetting himself everytime he thinks about a 5th round cup tie he might be able to get on with his life. We may have beaten Sunderland with the full team, but we may have lost to Hull or any other club we were drawn against. Come back whining when we get to a cup semi final and have played our weaker team, not the 5th round

And who exactly do you see as an improvement if/when he leaves this summer ?

Jesus, what an utterly sad life you live...:uhoh:

What a silly thread, the title of which suggest MP has been a failure, the article is just talking about the FA cup.

What were you expecting this season exactly ?

We could finish very close to spurs who spent 100m, what did we spend ? 30 odd ?

If you don't like MP then who would you have chosen instead when MP was appointed ?

:lol::lol::lol:

Brilliant, just brilliant. This is almost different class in wummery.

I would ask GS a question about this, but as he never answers questions I feel it would be wasted.

Instead, I'll just go with this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1246&d=1396511577

Plus written by Adrian Durham the same bloke that said live on air Luke Shaw is overrated.

Radio's answer to a number on here. Man is paid to be a 'media troll' and is actually quite good at it. Thing is, he has an ignore button too. Everyone has the capacity to switch him off like the trolls on here.

Radio's answer to a number on here. Man is paid to be a 'media troll' and is actually quite good at it. Thing is, he has an ignore button too. Everyone has the capacity to switch him off like the trolls on here.

:lol: classic. Poor guy rightfully writes a negative article on Saints/mopo and he's branded a "media troll"

Superb

Do you think he should pay for this mistake with his job?

No need to. He will "Quit" of his own volition

(Once we have renewed our ST's and then get the news of Players leaving to Clubs offering a Top Four finish and European Football )

Just ask yourself, if he's REALLY happy here, why has he NOT come out and said so

He says a great deal by not uttering a word

If he wants to leave then fine. He's good but it's not like there won't be a long list of managers who'd love the job.

Can't believe that after months of arguing about the cup people are still making the same irrelevant points.

Not taking the cup seriously enough, not bothering with interviews etc has nothing to do with missed chances v Sunderland. Whether the team selected was good enough to beat Burnley, Yeovil and Sunderland is a separate debate entirely. It wasn't the strongest side in any round and clearly wasn't a priority. That's the only concern, no-one ever said our strongest side would have beaten Sunderland, they didn't in the league. They might have lost any of the games, or made the final. But making every effort to progress is the only demand fans are making, and the only point being made. Arguing against it with irrelevance for 3 months seems a little redundant.

Deflector shields up, they are comin in.

:lol: classic. Poor guy rightfully writes a negative article on Saints/mopo and he's branded a "media troll"

Superb

Durham is a 'media troll' because of what he does, whether he writes or broadcasts positive or negative stuff about Saints is irrelevant. He does the same for other clubs. Puts out contentious opinions about a variety of usually football related stuff with the sole intention of getting the listeners to bite. Seems to have quite a few similarities with the notion of trolling, whether on the internet or through other media.

We lack depth to be able to compete in comps, look how bad we look now Jay Rod is injured, if we can sell off the deadwood and bring in 3-4 good players who can come off the bench next season we can have some more rotation throughout and compete in the League cup FA cup and top 8 finish in the prem.

........looking back on the phenomenal start we had to the season, it was obvious that we had a great start eleven, and everyone also seemed impressed by newer players coming in and doing well.

...what wasn't obvious was that beyond that ....the quality of our " bench players " was far below that required when called upon to cover injuries / suspensions.

Already in December some contributors (on here) were saying that our " double-trained " players were beginning to wilt and wouldn't last out the season, (and there is some truth in that).

The notion of using " reserve level " players in cup ties against lower-grade opposition isn't new, and in the past some clubs have been fined by the footballing authorities for playing " weakened sides".

Sadly, although "the Reserves" often DAJFU in such circumstances, itcame unstuck in the Sunderland match. Having watched that game on TV, it seemed clear to me that we didn't have the defensive cover, or the strike power needed from those chosen. This is the result of having; " sub-Prem. standard " players who are still here on long contracts...and promising Academy lads who haven't yet made the grade.

In attempting to give our " first-choice " players a well-earned rest, Pochettino must have thought that the "Reserves " could handle the job against a relegation-threatened Snderland who had already been cannon-fodder for a lot of teams. Whilst some of those individuals had DAJFU when called upon earlier in the season, putting out half-a-team of such players simply lacked the "grit " of the the first teamers, and it showed.

Whilst fans were disappointed ..Pochettino will (hopefully) have learned two lessons from that game. (1)....His bench players are (in general) nowhere near the required standard to be Prem. selections. (not entirely their fault as some were bought when we were in the Championship - and even before that), and were never capable of becoming regular Prem. players.

....and (2) he made the error of putting the FA Cup on a lower level than Premier League ambitions without realising that whilst many " lower-placed " club sides can reach the Final (Wigan last year were a prime example) .....many fans (outside of the top six)....see an FA Cup victory as more important than a Champion League dream.

Not entirely his fault, as the Cup competitons in many other countries have a much lower status that winning the League title, (which very few clubs are capable of anyway).

As a club, we are on a steep-learning curve for a team who have constantly changed managers over the last ten years, been bankrupted and then promoted up through two divisons - and survived at the highest level - there are bound to be some errors and misjudgments along the way.

Hopefully, we will remember this in the future. Everyone makes mistakes, but it's a fool who repeatedly makes the same mistake over and over again.

I don't believe MP is such a person - but time will tell.

Hopefully, we will remember this in the future. Everyone makes mistakes, but it's a fool who repeatedly makes the same mistake over and over again.

I don't believe MP is such a person - but time will tell.

But Mopo is repeating the same mistakes - he came in last season and insisted on the high press/tempo from the off. The "trolls" said it wasn’t sustainable, while the happy clap-apologists ranted about the "best football ever" sure enough players tired and we failed to win any of our last 6 games.

Same has happened this season - Mopo is (or should be) closer to the squad and its limitations. To start the season with the high press/high tempo was inevitably going to have implications later in the season.

Problem it seems is Mopo has one ideology, one style and with our smallish talent pool this will always limit our progress.

We could be successful under Mopo I don’t doubt that – however we’d need a squad of 25-30 very good players, where as it stands we have maybe 14-17

I was able to predict our downturn in October. While everyone was talking about top 4 and winning the league :lol: I was the “troll” that saw that we would not be able to sustain the style for a full season. Just amazed that Mopo didn’t or cant adapt.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?47397-Endurance

Edited by Glasgow_Saint

But Mopo is repeating the same mistakes - he came in last season and insisted on the high press/tempo from the off. The "trolls" said it wasn’t sustainable, while the happy clap-apologists ranted about the "best football ever" sure enough players tired and we failed to win any of our last 6 games.

Same has happened this season - Mopo is (or should be) closer to the squad and its limitations. To start the season with the high press/high tempo was inevitably going to have implications later in the season.

Problem it seems is Mopo has one ideology, one style and with our smallish talent pool this will always limit our progress.

We could be successful under Mopo I don’t doubt that – however we’d need a squad of 25-30 very good players, where as it stands we have maybe have maybe 14-17

I was able to predict our downturn in October. While everyone was talking about top 4 and winning the league :lol: I was the “troll” that saw that we would not be able to sustain the style for a full season. Just amazed that Mopo didn’t or cant adapt.

8.8/10

We could be successful under Mopo I don’t doubt that – however we’d need a squad of 25-30 very good players, where as it stands we have maybe 14-17

I just dont know why you are stuck in Glasgow when you should be on some Caibbean island with a bevvy of beauties at your beck and call as you must surely know all the answers to everything and be oh so successful. You are all knowing and in fact if Confucius was alive he'd read all your books to learn.

I just dont know why you are stuck in Glasgow when you should be on some Caibbean island with a bevvy of beauties at your beck and call as you must surely know all the answers to everything and be oh so successful. You are all knowing and in fact if Confucius was alive he'd read all your books to learn.

Thank you

Post of the day imho

Not ideological, simply a reflection of where we are as a club.

A few of the very top clubs have a Plan A, a Plan B and maybe a Plan C (and I am talking Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool this season).

Most good but not great teams seem to essentially have one plan (hence Arsenal, Tottenham, Man United and Everton have at times played with the same tactics this season even when clearly not working, because they have no alternative).

We have a clear style which is mostly effective, but current squad strength prevents us moving into top 6-7. The pressing game has served us well, gives the club a style (we are good to watch, far more so than most teams we face) and gives us a base to kick on next season - a couple of good recruits, another year for the younger players in the squad, and maybe we can develop a Plan B. I believe had we organised proper cover the Boruc this season, it would have made far more difference than any conversations about Ramirez, Puncheon, why Pochettino failed etc.

Most teams in the bottom half barely have a Plan at all (any idea what tactics/formation Newcastle, Fulham, Hull, Norwich or Cardiff were employing?)

BTW - very few talked about Top 4, we are Saints fans, we are nearly all wired to think in terms of survival first then look up.

A few of the very top clubs have a Plan A, a Plan B and maybe a Plan C (and I am talking Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool this season).

Most good but not great teams seem to essentially have one plan (hence Arsenal, Tottenham, Man United and Everton have at times played with the same tactics this season even when clearly not working, because they have no alternative).

We have a clear style which is mostly effective, but current squad strength prevents us moving into top 6-7. The pressing game has served us well, gives the club a style (we are good to watch, far more so than most teams we face) and gives us a base to kick on next season - a couple of good recruits, another year for the younger players in the squad, and maybe we can develop a Plan B. I believe had we organised proper cover the Boruc this season, it would have made far more difference than any conversations about Ramirez, Puncheon, why Pochettino failed etc.

Most teams in the bottom half barely have a Plan at all (any idea what tactics/formation Newcastle, Fulham, Hull, Norwich or Cardiff were employing?)

BTW - very few talked about Top 4, we are Saints fans, we are nearly all wired to think in terms of survival first then look up.

Thats a good post mate, I dont agree with all of it. But its a good reasoned post

Top Post.

:adore:

(Mods - if this post was made a sticky you could close 98% of past, present and future threads on here. Just a thought)