Season ticket prices

Give it to Ron

I don't know - £28 increase doesn't seem too much extra IF the team is improved. But that's my big problem with the arrangement - you pay for a product you have no idea will look like. Would you buy a car without an engine or a house without a roof without even a sniff of a promise that those essential parts will be in place to your satisfaction when you take possession?

Still, no doubt I'll be forking out for my Saints fix...the bar-stewards know they've got us - ST purchasing faithful - hook, line and sinker.

I don't know - £28 increase doesn't seem too much extra IF the team is improved. But that's my big problem with the arrangement - you pay for a product you have no idea will look like. Would you buy a car without an engine or a house without a roof without even a sniff of a promise that those essential parts will be in place to your satisfaction when you take possession?

Still, no doubt I'll be forking out for my Saints fix...the bar-stewards know they've got us - ST purchasing faithful - hook, line and sinker.

Agreed

I'm sick to death of the Premier League and for the first time in almost 20 years i'm seriously considering whether or not to get a season ticket. That's not just the increase - which is relatively small across the whole season - but the whole "package". The hype. the shi.t atmospheres, the moved kick off times, the plastics and all the rest.

I know it's not a popular way of thinking but i really miss the days of the lower leagues, they were just more fun than the premier league (and more affordable too).

Couldn't agree more

I am not renewing. Its far too expensive for ordinary workers with mortgage and kids. I don't care what the inflation rate is over last years etc etc. The fact is its expensive and now a middle class game which has forced fans to get loans which makes the cost even more expensive. £45 to have installments is criminal .

I am going to get a season ticket for Eastleigh FC instead as I watch a few games each season. The cost of Eastleigh FC this season for sitting in the stand is £171 which works out at £8 odd a game, an early bird with membership as low as £5-00 per game for not a seat in main stand. Kids under 7 free, under 16s £50 a season ticket.

I have watched Saints since 1977 and season holder since 1996 but enough is enough and will just go to a few games. There is a limit to how much people will pay for things and £628 is taking the **** for me. Also the loyalty scheme takes no account of season over season loyalty as to how many games fans have been to. Its all geared to fans watching lots of games year on year.

Get down to The Silverlake on Friday to see Eastleigh clinch the title!

I am not renewing. Its far too expensive for ordinary workers with mortgage and kids. I don't care what the inflation rate is over last years etc etc. The fact is its expensive and now a middle class game which has forced fans to get loans which makes the cost even more expensive. £45 to have installments is criminal .

I am going to get a season ticket for Eastleigh FC instead as I watch a few games each season. The cost of Eastleigh FC this season for sitting in the stand is £171 which works out at £8 odd a game, an early bird with membership as low as £5-00 per game for not a seat in main stand. Kids under 7 free, under 16s £50 a season ticket.

I have watched Saints since 1977 and season holder since 1996 but enough is enough and will just go to a few games. There is a limit to how much people will pay for things and £628 is taking the **** for me. Also the loyalty scheme takes no account of season over season loyalty as to how many games fans have been to. Its all geared to fans watching lots of games year on year.

Get down to The Silverlake on Friday to see Eastleigh clinch the title!

Whilst not wishing to denigrate Eastleigh the two are just not comparable really. Probably better to start watching Bournemouth.

The costs are worrying. I've watched Saints on and off since the mid-fifties and had a season ticket for ten years now including those worse years when attendances were low and we nearly didn't exist.

It does seem that the club is increasingly ignoring its most loyal supporters and squeezing them out of the club. I've really enjoyed all years especially recently, watching Adam and co progress through the Academy, and for the great entertainment and successes.

Will it become just happy memories now money is tight? Probably.

And IF renewing, many of the published match dates will as always be changed to times or days that we can't make, and that makes the costs per match even more expensive.

It is true that to having the best players costs. But is it worth renewing when we have no idea if our best players will still be here next season? I'm not sure.

£131 difference between the two, the view from block 3 is still good (as long as you're not right at the front) and you could put that saving towards some away games. I'm not convinced being sat right on the halfway line is £131 better, to be honest.

Good point, I think I'll be buying getting my same seat, saving money AND will deffo allow me to go to away games!

The point is that the German commercial model ensures that ticket prices are kept low because their fans spend loads on merchandise (far more than we do in this country). If fans didn't spend that money on merchandise, as you imply you don't/wouldn't, the ticket prices would have to rise to plug the gap. It's almost an implied social contract between the clubs and their fanbase.

Surely not enough each year to make up the difference between their tickets and my £737 renewal?

Surely not enough each year to make up the difference between their tickets and my £737 renewal?

If we had 5000 (proportion of BMs capacity applied to SMS) or so standing places available to increase capacity perhaps we could get the seated ST prices down a bit lower as well. If the Allianz was all seated there wouldn't be tickets at 109£ for the season. Then they're always in Europe so more games and more tickets to sell.

Interesting how you have to confirm your renewal before they sell all the players off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent point

Historically, Saints have always trapped thousands in the net before giving out the news that they are selling the Big Fish

I'm of the opinion that unless there are Firm Committments as to whether we are still aiming to break into the top Four/Six. I think I'd prefer to watch our games down at my local Pub

I certainly don't fancy shelling out £700 plus then be told the bad news

(Might stir things up if we ALL witheld purchasing ST's for2014/15 ......... but people don't do that down here

So a couple of hundred pounds across the year - I'd say quite a few German football fans come close to doing that.

Only 18 teams in their league though so only 17 home league matches a season, still cheaper per match than ours but I've no idea how much they sting you for CL matches and the like.

My ticket isn't the most expensive at St Mary's, those are £853 new and £759 to renew. I find it hard to believe the average German fan spends £200 to £300 on merchandise each and every year. What are they buying? A shirt, a programme for each game... well a lot of Saints fans do that so would have to be something ontop of what an English fan does.

Edited by Matthew Le God

My ticket isn't the most expensive at St Mary's, those are £853 new and £759 to renew. I find it hard to believe the average German fan spends £200 to £300 on merchandise each and every year. What are they buying? A shirt, a programme for each game... well a lot of Saints fans do that so would have to be something ontop of what an English fan does.
They pretty much all buy at least one new shirt, a new scarf, other bits of tatt, most people I know at Saints have been to the club shop once or twice in their lives. Add to that the Germans buy beer and food throughout the game. It all adds up over the year. .

They pretty much all buy at least one new shirt, a new scarf, other bits of tatt, most people I know at Saints have been to the club shop once or twice in their lives. Add to that the Germans buy beer and food throughout the game. It all adds up over the year. .

It has to be stuff ontop of what an English fan gets. If they both for example buy a shirt, match programme in each game, and a pint then that isn't reducing the gap between the two. The £200 to £300 extra average has to be on additional things to what the English fans buy in order for it to balance out.

It has to be stuff ontop of what an English fan gets. If they both for example buy a shirt, match programme in each game, and a pint then that isn't reducing the gap between the two. The £200 to £300 extra average has to be on additional things to what the English fans buy in order for it to balance out.
But that's the point, loads of English fans don't buy the short or a programme. And we can't drink beer throughout the game as they do in German grounds.

Very difficult to tell, and to be honest you'd never be able to make a direct comparison, but as a guide, most German clubs generate around 40% of their revenue from commercial activities. A fair amount of that is sponsorship, but every club's retail operation is massive. Of course, because their TV deal is nowhere near as big as ours (€700m a year compared to £1.8bn, but did grow by 70% in the last tender) that means they have to focus on other areas, commercial and matchday being the other revenue streams. Bigger grounds allow for a stream of more money coming in that way, but while you see the headline figures of €109 season tickets at Bayern and Dortmund, that price is solely for the terraced areas with the corporate areas and premium seats on the halfway line subsidising those cheap prices.

A lot of it is a culture thing - German clubs have had smooth retail operations going for decades, while it's arguably still not caught on properly in this country - and where the vast majority of clubs are at least 51% owned by the fans, there's a mutual appreciation for the need to supplement the matchday revenues through the megastores. Over here, we're much more cynical when it comes to merchandise, I think largely because historically it's been such **** quality and yet still sold at a premium price. Clubs have been desperate to squeeze the biggest margin possible out of these products on the basis that they've generally not been able to sell them, so you get a chicken and egg situation that they then won't pay for quality goods because they don't sell enough of the **** stuff, but they'd sell more if the quality was better.

Whilst not wishing to denigrate Eastleigh the two are just not comparable really. Probably better to start watching Bournemouth.

I want to watch a local team that I can afford and where the football is exciting. cherries is not within Eastleigh area. Its comparable to me as the cost is key, I need to find the £628 without putting it on credit or getting the 10 month loans, I ant find the total for saints so will go for a similar team I have watched in tandem to Saints where its within my budget. each year there are more and more redundancies at work and I don't have any loans except the mortgage and am not taking out a loan for something non essential. Clubs don't look at what's happening in the real world in prem but Eastleigh have stated they are concerned at the economic situation and fans income hence keeping costs realistic.

I lot of fans appear to be happy with season ticket prices so they must be on a good wage and don't spend their money on anything else to not voice concerns.

I would rather watch Premiership Football than anything less and the increase is the price we have to pay. To do this, I have given up other things in the past, not least eating, drinking and not buying programmes on the concourse on match days. This has paid for the extra costs of the ST. As I get older, travelling to home matches at 160 miles a round trip becomes more difficult with a result that I do not attend evening games anymore or those on TV. There will come a time too, when I have to balance the cost of my ST against the games shown on TV to see if it is worth simply purchasing one off tickets in the future. I go back to the Paine & Sydenham playing days so this is not a question of loyalty.

One clue to the rise in ST prices could be here from the Director:

"Whilst I perceive that we have inherited a difficult situation financially, there are now clear and structured plans in place to progress the club .....," Hofstetter said in a statement.

One clue to the rise in ST prices could be here from the Director:

"Whilst I perceive that we have inherited a difficult situation financially, there are now clear and structured plans in place to progress the club .....," Hofstetter said in a statement.

Why is our financial situation difficult ? We owe a few transfer fees but they aren't overdue, that's football finance. We have a mega chunk of money coming our way from the PL. I mean if the board are panicking over a few million that aren't even due until next year that's not really understandable. Few clubs actually make money and those that do invest it in new players and facilities. If you want to make money build supermarkets or 24/7 shops. If our owner had real money surely she wouldn't be worried about a few quid that aren't even due until next year. Jeez even blokes like Gold and Sullivan don't worry about owing a few quid and they're paupers.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I can live with £600 odd quid for 19 PL matches but paying Adidas £87 for a kids (named and numbered!) polyester replica kit really sticks in my gullet (that's last season's price BTW) !

I have 3 grandsons, so if I were to buy each of them the home and away kits, I would have to fork out £522. If commercial thinking includes looking to the future, I would suggest that fleecing your youngest, potential customers is not the best way to go about it !!

I can live with £600 odd quid for 19 PL matches but paying Adidas £87 for a kids (named and numbered!) polyester replica kit really sticks in my gullet (that's last season's price BTW) !

I have 3 grandsons, so if I were to buy each of them the home and away kits, I would have to fork out £522. If commercial thinking includes looking to the future, I would suggest that fleecing your youngest, potential customers is not the best way to go about it !!

Do kids really need all that ******, get them into a club where they can wear proper kit to play football and not just go round looking the part. People who buy kids kit deserve all they get, people who buy replica shirts deserve all the get and don't get me started on crap like garden gnomes and Saints curtains.

Do kids really need all that ******, get them into a club where they can wear proper kit to play football and not just go round looking the part. People who buy kids kit deserve all they get, people who buy replica shirts deserve all the get and don't get me started on crap like garden gnomes and Saints curtains.

Actually I agree with you, I said that 'I would have to fork out £522' not that I have any intention of doing it because I perceive it to be a major rip-off !

Ps. my garden gnome has faded in the sunshine and now has a plain white kit :)

They will push it until the pips squeak that's how capitalism football works. If you, I or Johnny falls by the wayside there'll be plenty of others willing to take our seats... or at least that's the mentality amongst our modern economic strategists. £30 doesn't sound a lot but its a night out with the wee lass at the local Curry house down the tubes and you can't measure the fall out from that in league position or points total!

The Lull before the Storm ??

Last season I renewed my ST on the 19th JUNE .... for next season the deadline for ST renewals is 30th MAY

Why the Rush ??

It smells of "Get em all signed up before we announce the Fire Sale"

Pessimistic ??? Yes ....... but can anyone put a positive spin on things ? For example, the Manager's situation should have been sorted MONTHS ago

I've been through situations just like this before, and it Stinks to high heaven. The Club simply think we are all mugs, and come kick off for 2014/5, a lot of ST holders will be thinking the same

£30 is nothing spread out over a year.

No it's not but £1000 for me and my daughter is. It was a squeeze last year and it'll be tricky again this year. No doubt I'll succumb to the temptation when they go on sale though and worry about paying for it later. I can't imagine not having a ST to be honest and I think that's how they get away with it but the pips are starting to squeak.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

No it's not but £1000 for me and my daughter is. It was a squeeze last year and it'll be tricky again this year. No doubt I'll succumb to the temptation when they go on sale though and worry about paying for it later. I can't imagine not having a ST to be honest and I think that's how they get away with it but the pips are starting to squeak.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

With respect if you are prepared to spend a grand another £60 isnt going to make a huge difference.

nail on the head,it will continue and continue,till we all say enough

but it will never happen,cos we all love our football too much

But you can always cut back on the peripheral crap, shirts, programmes,beer etc. That will probably hurt them more than losing a few ST sales.

But you can always cut back on the peripheral crap, shirts, programmes,beer etc. That will probably hurt them more than losing a few ST sales.

Cut back on beer! Are you sure that's even possible?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

So apparently the club sold about 700 ST's less this current year 2013/4 than the previous year. The cost increase must have been a factor. I reckon that decreasing sales for the coming year 2014/5 could be around another 700 ST's less for the same reason.

If that is to be the case, could the club still be increasing it's ST revenue with fewer sales?

Anyone?

So apparently the club sold about 700 ST's less this current year 2013/4 than the previous year. The cost increase must have been a factor. I reckon that decreasing sales for the coming year 2014/5 could be around another 700 ST's less for the same reason.

If that is to be the case, could the club still be increasing it's ST revenue with fewer sales?

Anyone?

The maths is faily easy 21000 STx25£ increase= 525000 £ 700 STs @ av 650£=455000£, both amounts to be diminished for VAT of course. What I think we may be seeing less of each year is the number of U11s, weren't they free in the family stand up until 2 seasons ago?

Edited by Window Cleaner

Anyone?

No surprise they are losing ST numbers; then again many think the revenue is not important due to TV revenue since being in the Prem. With online accessibility to tickets,, the benefits of being a season ticket holder are minimal; especially when you take out the games you have paid for but cannot attend due to family/work/holiday commitments.

If your finances are stretched, you can get access to the top home and away games by just attending 1 to 4 games which gets you to the front of the priority queue. Then you just pay for the games you can attend or want to attend on a priority ticket basis; you can also link with your friends to sit together. Simples :-)

No surprise they are losing ST numbers; then again many think the revenue is not important due to TV revenue since being in the Prem. With online accessibility to tickets,, the benefits of being a season ticket holder are minimal; especially when you take out the games you have paid for but cannot attend due to family/work/holiday commitments.

If your finances are stretched, you can get access to the top home and away games by just attending 1 to 4 games which gets you to the front of the priority queue. Then you just pay for the games you can attend or want to attend on a priority ticket basis; you can also link with your friends to sit together. Simples :-)

I´ve read this somewhere....but cant remember where now...:rolleyes:

1 free ticket isn't much of an incentive. I think I'll give it a miss this season. The only benefits I think I'd lose are priority for away games, but I'll just use a friend's season ticket and priority if we get a decent cup run. I think considering the fact we've only achieved this once in the 25 years I've been watching this isn't much of a concern.

It's simply not that good value if you have to miss a couple of games a season for whatever reasons.

This.

Games unable to attend due to dates and times changed for TV are a big factor. For various reasons I had to miss about five games this season, and that increased my cost of ST per match significantly.

Add (for me) potentially £20 per game rail travel costs and attending matches regularly becomes even more expensive. .

I thought all this would change when the little man left?

Re-read the new director's statement on taking on the job regarding his plans for addressing the 'difficult financial situation' he inherited. He didn't go into detail, but soon after ST price rises were announced.

Re-read the new director's statement on taking on the job regarding his plans for addressing the 'difficult financial situation' he inherited. He didn't go into detail, but soon after ST price rises were announced.

Difficult financial situation

That will be shaw or Lallana sold with a cheap replacement then