The Guardian: Interview with Ralph Krueger

Saint-Armstrong

As said previously, Cortese quit in October:

"Truly meeting Katharina [for the first time] would not have happened until last fall, in the October, when she was running a search for a potential leader," Krueger says. "The sports marketing company in Liechtenstein that she used have known me for 20 years and they said: 'We know a guy and we don't believe he has anything after February.' Then we met and it just took off right away."

As said previously, Cortese quit in October:

"Truly meeting Katharina [for the first time] would not have happened until last fall, in the October, when she was running a search for a potential leader," Krueger says. "The sports marketing company in Liechtenstein that she used have known me for 20 years and they said: 'We know a guy and we don't believe he has anything after February.' Then we met and it just took off right away."

'So Ralph, what was it about the billionairess Katharina Liebherr that first attracted you?'...

On Pochettino and the players:

Yet he accepts that commercial pushes and balanced books are never going to quicken the pulses and most fans have straightforward questions, the biggest of which concerns whether the club will be able to keep Pochettino in the summer, together with the squad's star players, chiefly the captain Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw and Morgan Schneiderlin. Jay Rodriguez would have been another potential target only for serious injury to cut him down.

Pochettino has said that he will "assess the situation at the club" at the end of the season before he decides "whether I am to stay another season" – the final one on his contract – and Tottenham Hotspur have monitored his progress since his arrival at St Mary's in January of last year.

Krueger's strategy to ward off the predators is simple: continue to make Pochettino feel wanted, stimulated and central to a vibrant project, which runs from the first-team down to the under-eights. Krueger is too long in the tooth to make rash promises and he suggests that no single employee is bigger than a club which has stood since 1885. "As good as anybody is in any position in the organisation, – a player, a manager, a person in the office – we are all part of a very, very long history that is just going to go on," he says.

But Krueger is not generally a worrier and he is both pragmatic and relaxed about the summer. "The first thing I'd say about Mauricio is that he took his time at Espanyol [where he previously managed for four years], which was really important," he says. "What really great managers do is stay in one spot until they cannot evolve there any more. If you see managers go one year, one year, one year and then, suddenly, they are in a top league, they don't have the foundation, possibly, to do the job. Mauricio has very carefully planned his career.

"Right now, the only thing I can say, whether we speak about Mauricio or the players, is that what we have here is very good and we are doing everything in our power to keep this group together. We are going to create a culture that this is just an excellent organisation to be a part of at all levels. Whatever the dynamics of football or the situations that can evolve outside of Southampton do to us as we move forward, we will just keep moving forward. But there has been no talk of selling anything."

bah that was v.general + non-committal. I wanted journo to be asking questions like:

a) Have you offered Ponch new contract?

2) Have you accepted or rejected any bids on players?

IV) Do you sit in Cortese's old office & is it true that he bought his desk set from Toys R Us?

Nice read. Plenty for the sneerers, still crying into their petticoats over the departure of the Italian, to get stuck into though.

The article mentions the World Economic Forum and the Green Bay Packers so plenty of bonus points for the forum simpletons playing Krueger mockery Bingo. Have fun, ladies.

His tone has changed from two weeks ago.

To: "nobody is bigger than the club"

Bit worrying

As has yours, from about four hours ago. Surely it's not a worry for you as you want him out:

The FA cup apporach is Mopo's biggest mistake so far, but not his only mistake. Refusal to speak English, Osvaldo, Puncheon, Clyne, Cork, Clattenburg, top 4 talk, 34% win ratio, Jan transfers, agent nonsense (real madrid pmsl) and Plan B (lack of) just a few other errors from mopo this season imho

I quite like the article, especially the story about getting an ice hockey stick through the face. If control of Southampton FC ever came down to a bare knuckle boxing contest between NC and RK, my money would be on Ralph. I wouldn't rule out a bit of "where's your tool"-ery from NC though.

Somewhat more seriously, I'd be very impressed if he manages to fill the commercial vacuum he reckons exists.

Don't expect info on player sales, if there are funds to sign anyone etc., but it'd be good to know how long he intends to stay. Is he here to help with appointments and set the commercial side up better then leave within a year, or does he want to stay long-term?

Should be grateful though, with Cortese gone and all the sale rumours we really could have ended up with anyone coming in. Liebherr is clearly staying and what sensible non-troll person wouldn't be happy with some continuity after all the success we've had.

What success? Define that, the previous Liebherr bought our success and promotions and I am very grateful for that, but this appointment and lack of anything about our Champions League aspirations and the furthering of our club worries me.

Nice read. Plenty for the sneerers, still crying into their petticoats over the departure of the Italian, to get stuck into though.

The article mentions the World Economic Forum and the Green Bay Packers so plenty of bonus points for the forum simpletons playing Krueger mockery Bingo. Have fun, ladies.

Similar to the Green Bay Packers? Does he actually know their size and fanbase? Maybe this fellow does not realise that people over here have the internet and television, the truth is easily seen, they are huge, a patronising blend straight off.

What success? Define that, the previous Liebherr bought our success and promotions and I am very grateful for that, but this appointment and lack of anything about our Champions League aspirations and the furthering of our club worries me.

I for one consider this season to be a success. It has seen us play some great football and I have enjoyed watching my team home and away.

Your team on the other hand has struggled to stay in the Football League. I can see why you think there has been no success this season.

I for one consider this season to be a success. It has seen us play some great football and I have enjoyed watching my team home and away.

Your team on the other hand has struggled to stay in the Football League. I can see why you think there has been no success this season.

You are easily pleased.

His statements so far haven't been particularly strong and often a little non-committal.

If he manages to keep our first team and coaching team/manager together and prove that the club are committed to progress on the pitch then I will be pleased.

The constant talk of the commercial vacuum and our supposed precarious financial situation doesn't make it seem that we are closed shop.

You would only ridicule him if he did mention Champions League aspirations

Similar to the Green Bay Packers? Does he actually know their size and fanbase? Maybe this fellow does not realise that people over here have the internet and television, the truth is easily seen, they are huge, a patronising blend straight off.

He probably does know a little about the GBP. I have to say I couldn't give a monkeys about them.

But do I like the idea of us being the nation's second favourite team? Yes, I do.

Infinitely more sensible angle for us than pie in the sky Champions League bulls h it from the Italian.

If he could back it up with the funds unlike previous people then of course not.

But you've already said that this will never happen for a club of our size. You really are full of contradictions, the only common theme to your posts is that you constantly slate the club. You really are a miserable ****. I really don't understand what you want or expect from the club.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Decent read. Obviously getting it out there about overspend and cash situation with the implication being Cortese had left a problem behind.

Yep as some of the 'trolls' warned. People are starting to realise what was going on with Cortese, although he can still do no wrong in some peoples eyes, yet far from being the greatest man who ever lived, he was simply playing football manager with someone else's money. The line trotted out time after to time was about his drive and ambition, yet it easy to be ambitious when you have someone else's money to play with. Just because Cortese told people what they wanted to hear and that we could have it all, having the means to deliver his brash claims was evidently quite a different thing. If we now have to go through a period of book balancing and a few players sold then people shouldn't be pointing the finger at the lack of ambition of the current board, but looking at the false promises driven by the ego of the previous CEO.

But you've already said that this will never happen for a club of our size. You really are full of contradictions, the only common theme to your posts is that you constantly slate the club. You really are a miserable ****. I really don't understand what you want or expect from the club.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Honesty, has it got any better since the revolution?

Says the right things, some may say strategic timing with the season ticket renewals.

But I feel like there is no way the culture at the club is what would convince Pochettino to sign a new contract. He'll want investment and backing after what he has achieved this year. He worked hard at Espanyol every year after having to sell players and he has already increased his profile enough at Saints to feel like he shouldn't have to do that again before a better opportunity comes along.

Yep as some of the 'trolls' warned. People are starting to realise what was going on with Cortese, although he can still do no wrong in some peoples eyes, yet far from being the greatest man who ever lived, he was simply playing football manager with someone else's money. The line trotted out time after to time was about his drive and ambition, yet it easy to be ambitious when you have someone else's money to play with. Just because Cortese told people what they wanted to hear and that we could have it all, having the means to deliver his brash claims was evidently quite a different thing. If we now have to go through a period of book balancing and a few players sold then people shouldn't be pointing the finger at the lack of ambition of the current board, but looking at the false promises driven by the ego of the previous CEO.

So what are the long term goals of the club?

Bless, Barry doesn't realise we have had the same owners since league 1. THIS liebherr has owned and invested from -10 league 1 to where we are now :)

He says no player sales unless football decision ( which guess allows, for example, selling one of young RBs if feels too good to be back up, at their stage of career, and use money for older back up and strengthen elsewhere)

He says wants club to progress from this season. Personally seeing good young players coming through and annual progression

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

What they always were away from Corteses brags, a self sustaining premier league club.

The hard of thinking and Sky fans NEED to be told we are going for the CL as ANYTHING less is clearly lack of ambition for an average sized provincial club.

These fans are commonly known as wan*ers.

Edited by View From The Top

He probably does know a little about the GBP. I have to say I couldn't give a monkeys about them.

But do I like the idea of us being the nation's second favourite team? Yes, I do.

Infinitely more sensible angle for us than pie in the sky Champions League bulls h it from the Italian.

Who is the nations 1st favourite team?

The thing that he did say that was spot on was that no one person was bigger than the club with its 130 year history. My initial view on Cortese going was that it was a short tern problem but would ultimately prove the right move in the medium to long term. Never has the Kissenger quote on power been more apt. We (and I include myself) tolerated Cortese's diabolical treatment of suppliers, the press and the Pravda style irradiation of our history because he ultimately delivered on the pitch by signing the Liebherr cheques to good effect.

I feel the same about MP. I would really like him to stay and commit to us. If he is unable to, **** happens, we might lose the odd player but life goes on. Out of adversity this club has generally always come good. Out of near liquidation came the Liebherr's, out of the defensive shambles of early 12/13 came Luke Shaw and after the meltdown over Adkins came MP. Change isn't always bad.

One thing I can guarantee. In 20 years time none of the players, staff or owners will be still here, but us fans will be whatever