South Korean ferry disaster

SO16_Saint

How come there isnt a thresd on this already?

There are a reported 300 people dead, mainly children, yet the reports are not even close to the level of when the plane eent missing.

Wonder why this is?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

How come there isnt a thresd on this already?

There are a reported 300 people dead, mainly children, yet the reports are not even close to the level of when the plane eent missing.

Wonder why this is?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It is a horrendous tragedy and is being reported but the plane got so much coverage due to the unknown. If it had just hit a mountain then woudl have been halfway down the news.

What a bloody awful story this is, so many youngsters lost.

I see speculation on the news that this ferry performed a turn too aggressively causing vehicles on the car deck to shift. This transfer of weight in turn causing the ship to list and take on water. The crew may also have delayed mustering the passengers at their assigned life-boat stations on the upper deck in order to avoid reducing the ships deteriorating stability state even further. While we wait for a proper investigation to report this all seems horribly plausible.

If you study the history of disasters there is often a time when those with what we might call 'heightened survival instincts' stop listening to what those in authority are telling them and assume responsibility for their own survival. These people seem to have a better chance of surviving this type of tragedy compared to the rest of us who wait passively for someone in authority to tell them what to do. This latter group - of which I strongly suspect I would be a member - often seem to perish I'm afraid.

Study aircrash survival and you will find that sometimes people escape from burning aircraft when they were actually seated further away from the emergency exits than many of those who did not survive. The explanation for this is that these survivors are capable of rapidly formulating a sort of 'escape plan' for themselves and they then enact it come-what-may. If the escape route in front of you is blocked then climb over the seats instead. If someone gets in your way ...well you make damn sure they are soon out of your way even if it means walking right over them.

We shall see at the end of the day how many people were actually lost, there is often great confusion on these occasions, why I remember the original estimates for 9/11 were running in the 10s of thousands. At the end of the day it was about 3000 including the plane passengers and unfortunately a lot of the peple who went to save people in peril who weren't actually there.

Still I can imagine nothing worse than trying to get a bunch of Korean schoolgirls to stop screaming and start doing what was necessary.

We shall see at the end of the day how many people were actually lost, there is often great confusion on these occasions, why I remember the original estimates for 9/11 were running in the 10s of thousands. At the end of the day it was about 3000 including the plane passengers and unfortunately a lot of the peple who went to save people in peril who weren't actually there.

Still I can imagine nothing worse than trying to get a bunch of Korean schoolgirls to stop screaming and start doing what was necessary.

What an insensitive cvnt you are.

What a bloody awful story this is, so many youngsters lost.

I see speculation on the news that this ferry performed a turn too aggressively causing vehicles on the car deck to shift. This transfer of weight in turn causing the ship to list and take on water. The crew may also have delayed mustering the passengers at their assigned life-boat stations on the upper deck in order to avoid reducing the ships deteriorating stability state even further. While we wait for a proper investigation to report this all seems horribly plausible.

If you study the history of disasters there is often a time when those with what we might call 'heightened survival instincts' stop listening to what those in authority are telling them and assume responsibility for their own survival. These people seem to have a better chance of surviving this type of tragedy compared to the rest of us who wait passively for someone in authority to tell them what to do. This latter group - of which I strongly suspect I would be a member - often seem to perish I'm afraid.

Study aircrash survival and you will find that sometimes people escape from burning aircraft when they were actually seated further away from the emergency exits than many of those who did not survive. The explanation for this is that these survivors are capable of rapidly formulating a sort of 'escape plan' for themselves and they then enact it come-what-may. If the escape route in front of you is blocked then climb over the seats instead. If someone gets in your way ...well you make damn sure they are soon out of your way even if it means walking right over them.

the problem is that the vast majority of passengers were school children, they naturally listened to the authorities telling them to stay put

All sorts of speculation one. As always with the maritime world, it will take time to come out.

I see the latest "outrage" is that a Junior (Third Officer) had the conn of the ship at the time of the incident. Nothing unusal in that at all. People seem to think that the Captain will be "driving" the ship at all times. Not the case. The watchkeeping officers will be "driving" the ship apart from typically arrivals and departures. The Captain can't be on the bridge at all times! In the event of a major incident such as this one, I would expect him to arrive on the bridge just before it was about to happen, during the incident or straight away after (depending on when the Officer of the Watch calls him). Immediatly aftwerwards it would not be unsual for the OOW to have the conn whilst the Captain was involved in the emergency procedures.

In terms of the actual sinking, it can be assumed that she has hit something causing her to take on water. The cargo shift theory has some credibility but the ferry should (and being in South Korea, I would expect it to) be capable of staying upright depsite the fact that the cargo has shifted. Watertight integrity may have had some part to play and until the experts can inspect the hull we won't know. It could be as simple as Watertight Doors failing to close or actual bulkhead openings not being properly secured. By taking a hard turn to port or starboard you should not be able to get water in through the ship's lowest opening to the outside. Even at full speed and going hard over this would prove very difficult. A severe list will not instantly come on - it will take time. However on a large ship a list of only 5 degrees seems extreme, when in theory they should be able to list to around 60 degrees before going over.

The actualy abandonment is an interesting one. The requirement is to be able to abandon the ship fully within 30 minutes of the order to do so being given. Many news agencies are claiming pax were told remain where they were. This is typical until all survival craft are ready to launch. The main reason is that it will enable to keep people in an environment that is away from the elements and they enables you to evactuate them in a controlled manner whilst accounting for everyone. The point here is that the ship has gone down much quicker than expected. Looking at pictures of the vessel, I'm struggling to work out where her LSA was located and definatly not her muster stations. Again without seeing the plans of the vessel it is hard to tell.

Much like aircraft, ships are fitted with Voyage Data Recorders or VDR's. Until this is recovered an analysed we won't know what happened.