The 2014 mid-life crisis thread

pap

I fancy buy a motorbike but have done for years and really fancy a triumph bonneville with scrambler tyres so I can cruise the forest tracks here and cos they look sick - example article-2575119-1C19A4B300000578-122_634x859.jpg

aside from that nothing else as a lot seems to be work related as well, I'm 38 and retired already :-)

I thought taking up triathlon or cycling was the new mid-life crisis anyway as all the old dudes I knew at work used to really get into it massively.

I fancy buy a motorbike but have done for years and really fancy a triumph bonneville with scrambler tyres so I can cruise the forest tracks here and cos they look sick - example article-2575119-1C19A4B300000578-122_634x859.jpg

aside from that nothing else as a lot seems to be work related as well, I'm 38 and retired already :-)

I thought taking up triathlon or cycling was the new mid-life crisis anyway as all the old dudes I knew at work used to really get into it massively.

Retired at 38? You pullin my chain?

Also there are many things I would like to do, but do not have the time or the money to do them. I think this is the main reason for 'midlife crises' is that the kids grow up the debts reduce and you have more time to do/buy those things you always wanted to do/buy. You also have more time for hobbies and money to do them!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Recently got a guitar and am learning to play.

Fúck, I'm such an archetype.

I have no rhythm and no timing, but I would love to be able to paly instrument ....Drums would be my preference, but it won't happen.

I am enjoying mine - long may it continue

Alto sax is my mid-life crisis instrument. :)

I have no rhythm and no timing, but I would love to be able to paly instrument ....Drums would be my preference, but it won't happen.

Well, I've been playing guitar for two weeks and would definitely say learning an instrument is worth it.

Gemmel; was kinda like you. The enormity of how much there is to learn and overcome put me off for years. However, what really spurred me on this time was foreknowledge that with enough practice, most stuff becomes automatic. I've been organically touch typing for the last ten years without any kind of formal training. I'm near a keyboard 24/7 - just got good.

Same thing applies with the guitar. Day one I was all over the place. At the end of week one, was able to find most of the major chords. At the end of week two, it takes me less than a minute to switch between them ;)

So yep; I'm still an utterly shíte guitar player, but working it into most stuff I'm doing and slowly getting better. Very encouraged by how much has clicked in the first couple of weeks, and it's a decent way to spend time. P'raps it's a hallmark of being middle aged, but I'm keenly aware of how I spend my time these days. This really doesn't seem like a waste of it.

9, That makes me "obviously too young to understand the question". Suck on that oldies!

You are obviously in the experimental stage of your life.

A midlife crisis it something you should aspire to, not be pleased that you haven't reached it yet.

• 5 weeks later...