"Glass ceiling and summer budget"

Fitzhugh Fella

Has that not been done already in various statements since the new board has been in control. Steady as she goes, no-one out that Mauricio wants to keep, doing the utmost to keep the manager etc etc etc. Sounds like the board are talking to deaf ears actually.. Then again there have been few visible actions so far.

What visible actions would show that we're not selling anyone? For that to be proven we'll have to wait until the summer window is shut.

Whatever side of the camp people are on I see this as one of the most worthwhile threads on this forum at present. Proper debate and all that.

True, em but sometimes we focus on the wrong questions. True we will never spend 200mil trying to buy success, and I for one am glad we won't. But what is the point of academy investment and having such a good one, if we never see the full potential as the best kids are sold so early? Where is the joy to be had in supporting a club that periodically has a crop of talent that should we hold on to it for 3-4 seasons would see is genuinely compete... Only for it always to be sold before we see any real benefit?

Sure, amazing talent will leave, but as I saw it, all Cortese was trying to do was create a club where that talent would Not be sold at 18 no matter what, by spending on a few key positions whilst that crop developed... Signalling intent. We don't know what Markus agreed was a fair investment, and can only speculate as to whether he spent more than was promised, or whether KL is less willing of not to continue that level... But I do not think it's impossible for a club like ours to have periodic success if we plough the cash into decent contracts that keep our best talent here until 22-24, rather than let it go for half it's potential value at 18... That is just soul destroying, as we are NOT some L2 club that needs to sell a kid for 1mil every other yer to avoid admin...

True, em but sometimes we focus on the wrong questions. True we will never spend 200mil trying to buy success, and I for one am glad we won't. But what is the point of academy investment and having such a good one, if we never see the full potential as the best kids are sold so early? Where is the joy to be had in supporting a club that periodically has a crop of talent that should we hold on to it for 3-4 seasons would see is genuinely compete... Only for it always to be sold before we see any real benefit?

Sure, amazing talent will leave, but as I saw it, all Cortese was trying to do was create a club where that talent would Not be sold at 18 no matter what, by spending on a few key positions whilst that crop developed... Signalling intent. We don't know what Markus agreed was a fair investment, and can only speculate as to whether he spent more than was promised, or whether KL is less willing of not to continue that level... But I do not think it's impossible for a club like ours to have periodic success if we plough the cash into decent contracts that keep our best talent here until 22-24, rather than let it go for half it's potential value at 18... That is just soul destroying, as we are NOT some L2 club that needs to sell a kid for 1mil every other yer to avoid admin...

That has always happened and is nothing new, Wallace's, Shearer etc. Its only in the last few years we have bought more quality than sold, that has everything to do with our size and the Leagues we were in, now we will sell more, its common sense.

That has always happened and is nothing new, Wallace's, Shearer etc. Its only in the last few years we have bought more quality than sold, that has everything to do with our size and the Leagues we were in, now we will sell more, its common sense.

Sorry, but why is it common sense that we will sell more now?

Its not but far more larger clubs will come in now as we have more proven quality at a fa higher level, no need to apolgise.

In the two years we've been back in the Prem have we sold more or less of our quality young players than the two years previous? Come on Bazza, this question is so easy even you should be able to answer it!

The last young player we sold was AoC. Do you think we would have had more or less chance of keeping him if we were in the Prem when Arsenal came sniffing?

Two more questions Bazza, do you still think we should:

A) abandon the academy as there's no point developing players for other clubs

And

B) release a statement saying that everyone is for sale at the right price?

In the two years we've been back in the Prem have we sold more or less of our quality young players than the two years previous? Come on Bazza, this question is so easy even you should be able to answer it!

The last young player we sold was AoC. Do you think we would have had more or less chance of keeping him if we were in the Prem when Arsenal came sniffing?

Two more questions Bazza, do you still think we should:

A) abandon the academy as there's no point developing players for other clubs

And

B) release a statement saying that everyone is for sale at the right price?

B) Everytime, we all know it.

And abandon the academy? Why?

Nope, dont see anything specific about Cortese. I did say "you dont know what you've got 'till its gone" as well.

But well done you for having the time to go and search for pathetic p*ssing contest rights...

Sorry Alpine, I didn't realise you were talking about all those other people who were running the club. Of course, I agree, those people were definitely running it like a cheap B&B, not Cortese though.