RESTORE OUR RIGHT TO PRIORITY TICKETS FOR HOME GAMES - PLEASE!!!!!

I can see where you are coming from too. I'm just not sure I agree.

I have bought 5 or 6 extra tickets this year for friends/family plus the cup games and one away on top of my ST, but I don't see it as my right to have first dibs.

To be fair, I see it more as a 'thank you for your business' than a right. This is why the perk should be limited to 1 ticket per season ticket only. I think what is winding me up is that the Club were pleading for business off us when they could not get people through the door. I was buying whole tables in hospitality and the room was only half full. When they tapped us dry they were actually giving away tickets for kids just to make the ground look full. Now they are on the up there is a chipping away of our benefits - if we don't complain now it will only get worse

To be fair, I see it more as a 'thank you for your business' than a right. This is why the perk should be limited to 1 ticket per season ticket only. I think what is winding me up is that the Club were pleading for business off us when they could not get people through the door. I was buying whole tables in hospitality and the room was only half full. When they tapped us dry they were actually giving away tickets for kids just to make the ground look full. Now they are on the up there is a chipping away of our benefits - if we don't complain now it will only get worse

I totally agree that there should be some sort of reward for fan's loyalty. I'm just not sure that first dibs on extra tickets is the way to do it. Lower renewal costs, discounted away tickets, bigger merchandise discounts, free programme, free beer(!). There is ample opportunity for the club to reward those who contribute significantly and consistently.

I'm sure there's a massive secondary market for tickets to Saints against Stoke City. :nod:

Not massive but this policy opens a door to abuse. Face value for the less popular games and 100% mark up for the big games. Do the sums on 5 or 10 tickets... I could have sold my seat for the Liverpool game for £100 easily. Hospitality seats have even bigger resale close to the game. I think we should leave this now or we will give people ideas!

I totally agree that there should be some sort of reward for fan's loyalty. I'm just not sure that first dibs on extra tickets is the way to do it. Lower renewal costs, discounted away tickets, bigger merchandise discounts, free programme, free beer(!). There is ample opportunity for the club to reward those who contribute significantly and consistently.

Not likely as all of those nice ideas cost money. What I am pushing for costs the Club nothing and will only be taken up a couple of times a season by most season ticket holders and perhaps a little more by the minority. Just 24 hours to have first dibs is all that is required.

It's all very well using the argument that a ST will buy a ticket for a mate who doesn't normally attend matches, and why should he have priority over somebody who has only been to four games? But it isn't always going to be like that. For example, my older son had to move well away from the area and because he is now faced with a round trip of 400 miles, he is only able to attend a few matches a year now. I had bought three tickets for him this season, but under these new rules, that was not enough and had the Man Utd tickets sold out to those with 4 games, his ST that he held for nearly the past 20 years would count for nothing, in the same way that my two current STs don't either. There are arguments for and against this new system and because of the situation regarding my older son, I still think that ST holders should be able to purchase one extra ticket in a priority position.

Vaguely ironic that the arguement is someone that only goes to 4 games shouldnt get priority over a plastic.

Plus there are already perks as a STH, seat for the season, reduced entry for the season and priority in cup and away games.

The clubs firmly correct in this one.

Don't forget the money off in the club shop on any purchase... ;)

It's all very well using the argument that a ST will buy a ticket for a mate who doesn't normally attend matches, and why should he have priority over somebody who has only been to four games? But it isn't always going to be like that. For example, my older son had to move well away from the area and because he is now faced with a round trip of 400 miles, he is only able to attend a few matches a year now. I had bought three tickets for him this season, but under these new rules, that was not enough and had the Man Utd tickets sold out to those with 4 games, his ST that he held for nearly the past 20 years would count for nothing, in the same way that my two current STs don't either. There are arguments for and against this new system and because of the situation regarding my older son, I still think that ST holders should be able to purchase one extra ticket in a priority position.

Yeah but in reality how many would be in that genuine sistuation ? I can see the points, but realistically the club need to take a fair stance and there are far more plastics trying to grab a game and unfortunately taking uo space that 'should' be for real fans then those that are in the genuine position you find yourself in.

So to summarise, we have about 6000 tkts available on a match-by-match basis and we generally sell between 4000 to 6000 of these every game, to a mixture of pay per game fans and ST holders. It would appear that a minority of ST holders think that for certain games (all games) they should have first dibs on the 6000 available tkts, regardless of how many extra tkts they've purchased for previous games in a season, or how many tkts non-ST holders may have bought. To the extent that for a popular fixture the ground could conceivably be full of ST holders and their (once a season) 'plus-ones', over non-STs who have been to four games-plus. Thankfully most people seem to think the current system is the fairest way to ensure we have as many Saints fans in the ground for any particular game and the fewest tkts going to away fans/neutrals as possible.

Vaguely ironic that the arguement is someone that only goes to 4 games shouldnt get priority over a plastic.

Plus there are already perks as a STH, seat for the season, reduced entry for the season and priority in cup and away games.

The argument is not that someone with 4 games should not get priority over a plastic - where did you get that? The argument is that season ticket holders should retain the benefit of having first choice for additional tickets like they always used to have. In addition for a season ticket holder it is not a perk to have a seat for the season - WE PAY FOR IT! What are you talking about on 'reduced entry for the season?' Everyone knows that season ticket holders end up missing some games due to other commitments but still paying for the seat - it goes with the territory. How can the Club be correct in withdrawing a benefit without recourse. Rubbish!

So to summarise, we have about 6000 tkts available on a match-by-match basis and we generally sell between 4000 to 6000 of these every game, to a mixture of pay per game fans and ST holders. It would appear that a minority of ST holders think that for certain games (all games) they should have first dibs on the 6000 available tkts, regardless of how many extra tkts they've purchased for previous games in a season, or how many tkts non-ST holders may have bought. To the extent that for a popular fixture the ground could conceivably be full of ST holders and their (once a season) 'plus-ones', over non-STs who have been to four games-plus. Thankfully most people seem to think the current system is the fairest way to ensure we have as many Saints fans in the ground for any particular game and the fewest tkts going to away fans/neutrals as possible.

You remind me of Vic Reeves when he said 85.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Then again I would not expect support from someone living in Kent. Season ticket holders provide the revenue week on week and year on year not the part timers and cherry pickers

Yeah but in reality how many would be in that genuine sistuation ? I can see the points, but realistically the club need to take a fair stance and there are far more plastics trying to grab a game and unfortunately taking uo space that 'should' be for real fans then those that are in the genuine position you find yourself in.

In reality - most season ticket holders do not buy tickets for plastics; they buy for their family or friends or other saints fans who cannot attend regularly for a variety of reasons. They should have the right to bring guests who may or may not be regular attendees. In any other business the shareholders or club members get the perks - they get discounts on company products, they get first dibs on new shares, they get first choice on functions. You do not get a more 'real' fan than a season ticket holders. Other football clubs offer this so called 'perk' to season ticket holders why not Saints

You remind me of Vic Reeves when he said 85.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Then again I would not expect support from someone living in Kent. Season ticket holders provide the revenue week on week and year on year not the part timers and cherry pickers

Season ticket revenue is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things these days. Clubs live off of tv income. Your argument is just a bit silly really. A saints fan who goes to just one game a season has more right to buy a ticket for this game than your mate who fancies seeing Man Utd. Fortunately most on here disagree with you.

I don't see that living in Kent makes Sandwich any less of a Saints fan TBH. Ottery, for example, comes from Devon for every home game and therefore makes more of a financial commitment than you. Should you be behind him in the queue?

Maybe you should buy an extra season ticket and share it amongst your friends and family?

Why do you assume they're plastics? You could equally apply that description to someone who had only been to four games previously.

Who knows how many are in that situation? You're making a lot of assumptions as it is, categorising those who might get a ticket from a ST friend as plastics and assuming that those who went to 4 games are real fans. I suspect that as well as all of the lapsed season ticket holders like my son, there are quite a few who live abroad who are dyed in the wool Saints fans and come back to visit family and friends and who would even plan their trips home around matches like the last one of the season, even if it wasn't against a team like Manchester United. Would you categorise Dubai Phil or even Alpine as plastics? There are thousands of Saints fans who have formed supporters groups all around the World and I suspect that when they come over here they rely on ST holders from family or friends to get them tickets for matches

Who knows how many are in that situation? You're making a lot of assumptions as it is, categorising those who might get a ticket from a ST friend as plastics and assuming that those who went to 4 games are real fans. I suspect that as well as all of the lapsed season ticket holders like my son, there are quite a few who live abroad who are dyed in the wool Saints fans and come back to visit family and friends and who would even plan their trips home around matches like the last one of the season, even if it wasn't against a team like Manchester United. Would you categorise Dubai Phil or even Alpine as plastics? There are thousands of Saints fans who have formed supporters groups all around the World and I suspect that when they come over here they rely on ST holders from family or friends to get them tickets for matches

True, and this just emphasizes the need for an efficient loyalty points system. Paid up member of an overseas supporters group? Have some points. Previous season ticket holder? Have some points. Spend £50 in club shop? £20 in the concourse? 5 away games? Have points etc etc. Can't be that difficult.

If someone chooses to live miles away that is their problem, I still think someone who has been to 4+ games deserves a ticket more than someone who has been to none, regardless of who they know.

That said, it would be a nice idea to give supporters groups from abroad priority as well, purely because of their situation - it should be nothing to do with who they know.

If someone chooses to live miles away that is their problem, I still think someone who has been to 4+ games deserves a ticket more than someone who has been to none, regardless of who they know.

That said, it would be a nice idea to give supporters groups from abroad priority as well, purely because of their situation - it should be nothing to do with who they know.

So, someone comes hundreds, even thousands of miles to one or two games a season is a lesser fan than someone who lives a few miles away and goes to four?

Two things that surprise me about this thread are; it hasn't been flushed to Muppet show yet, but also that 42 has got some friends to take to the game. Let's face it, if he's like this in real life, any "bring a friend " policy would be wasted on him.

Nasty and not funny

The need for anyone to label fans at all, be it 'plastic', 'real', 'true' or whatever, tells you more about the character of the labeller than it does about those being labelled.

Agreed. However, language is something that has to adapt to the person being responded to if a message is to be got across. The issue at hand is simple - do not take perks off the people who pour the cash into a business. If a business chooses this route then watch out when times are bad - and they will be bad again (but hopefully not too soon!)

The Club is a business pure and simple. It needs to look after the people who support the business for survival. It just so happens that the main supporters of the business mainly come in 2 large categories - hospitality attendees who may or may not be fans of the Saints (generally aren't) and stay away when the business is doing badly and season ticket holders who are fans who turn up through thick and thin. Being a fan and not stumping up the cash is all very nice but does not pay the bills

True, and this just emphasizes the need for an efficient loyalty points system. Paid up member of an overseas supporters group? Have some points. Previous season ticket holder? Have some points. Spend £50 in club shop? £20 in the concourse? 5 away games? Have points etc etc. Can't be that difficult.

Thanks for this. I think this is the real solution as it rewards all people who put money into the club based on how much they invest. After all, someone could spend thousands on individual match tickets and not be a season ticket holder. I welcome the feedback and would change my views based on this approach as it is fairer and makes business sense.

Good point - well made. I often buy tickets for 2 ex season ticket holders who have spent the last 5 years on and off in Iraq and Afghan. I think that this is generally the case rather than buying tickets for fans of Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea etc

The Club is a business pure and simple. It needs to look after the people who support the business for survival.

Running a successful business is about two things: retaining existing customers and enticing new ones. A company that prioritises one over the other will stand still.

For various reasons, I'm a "7-10" games a season man. As such, converting from a pay-per-game fan to a season ticket holder is a borderline financial decision for me. The fact that the club is rewarding my loyalty with priority booking for the more popular games could make the difference between me becoming a season ticket holder or not.

So, it makes perfectly good business sense to maximise the number of games that PAYG customers can attend.

Other opinions are also available of course.

Edited by trousers

I don't see that living in Kent makes Sandwich any less of a Saints fan TBH. Ottery, for example, comes from Devon for every home game and therefore makes more of a financial commitment than you. Should you be behind him in the queue?

Maybe you should buy an extra season ticket and share it amongst your friends and family?

You are quite right of course. There is no question that you can be a great fan from a great distance. However, people living far away who do not get to attend often may feel threatened by a rewards system based on spend/investment with the Club. My objection was to the assertion that the argument was done and dusted when actually we are making progress with an alternative solution. To be clear, this is not personal or about me as I get tickets whenever I want. This is not about who is a good fan or a bad fan. This is about business people making decisions that are bad for business i.e. taking benefits off the people who put the most money into the business. I for one am now sold on the points system as opposed to a season ticket holder based system

Running a successful business is about two things: retaining existing customers and enticing new ones. A company that prioritises one over the other will stand still.

For various reasons, I'm a "7-10" games a season man. As such, converting from a pay-per-game fan to a season ticket holder is a borderline financial decision for me. The fact that the club is rewarding my loyalty with priority booking for the more popular games could make the difference between me becoming a season ticket holder or not.

So, it makes perfectly good business sense to maximise the number of games that PAYG customers can attend.

Other opinions are also available of course.

Good point. However, enticing people to become season ticket holders is the prime option as it reduces admin costs in selling seats, gets repeat business at minimum cost and gets money upfront. Loyalty points would take care of that issue whilst allowing the people who spend the most money to have first priority on PAYG tickets

I for one am now sold on the points system as opposed to a season ticket holder based system

Bless you 42, the ability to change your position following reasoned debate is what marks you as a good poster. I am sure you have a great many friends!

Well here's a thing, I have a ST and I have a Manc mate who typically lives in Harlow and fair play to him goes to Manure games whenever the ballot allows him. Thankfully he is buzzing off to Spain for a bit of Golf that weekend but the original plan was to tap up a Man U ST holder who I know and try that route to get him a ticket and if that failed then subject him to 90 minutes of sitting on his hands next to me................ Whilst that would have been nice to have had a pleasant day out together no doubt on the sauce. It would have been a bit spawny to have deprived a Saints fan a seat who had through work, finances, or whatever only managed to get to however many games required to qualify for a ticket: I guess having to queue up Milton Road in the latter days of the Dell has given me that pang of guilt had I taken this action.

The one thing about having invested in a season ticket is that at the beginning of the season I know I don't have to jump through hoops when these so called glamour games come up.

Bless you 42, the ability to change your position following reasoned debate is what marks you as a good poster. I am sure you have a great many friends!

Thanks Bearsy - it was a bit of a rough ride but I think we have come up with the principle of coming up with a system that rewards people who support the Club with their investment. I would love to have a system where people are rewarded for their love of the club but we have to survive in the real World.

Well here's a thing, I have a ST and I have a Manc mate who typically lives in Harlow and fair play to him goes to Manure games whenever the ballot allows him. Thankfully he is buzzing off to Spain for a bit of Golf that weekend but the original plan was to tap up a Man U ST holder who I know and try that route to get him a ticket and if that failed then subject him to 90 minutes of sitting on his hands next to me................ Whilst that would have been nice to have had a pleasant day out together no doubt on the sauce. It would have been a bit spawny to have deprived a Saints fan a seat who had through work, finances, or whatever only managed to get to however many games required to qualify for a ticket: I guess having to queue up Milton Road in the latter days of the Dell has given me that pang of guilt had I taken this action.

The one thing about having invested in a season ticket is that at the beginning of the season I know I don't have to jump through hoops when these so called glamour games come up.

A nice post. I think most ST holders feel the same which is good for the fans who get tickets with them. This Man U game I have 2 extra tickets for my son and his Saints mad friend who gets back from Afghan on the 9 May after 6 months away. We were even lucky enough to get them in the same block as me and my other son. happy days!

On the subject of #globalsfc, Aussie Saint is performing miracles at bringing us all together. His articles in the programme are a small part of his work, his FB pages & Twitter have seen an amazing results - heck the latest one was for a Thai Saints fan wanting to know what bars to watch the game while in Malaysia!

Behind that creation of a Community this year have been other efforts to actually get us organised - BUT his biggest task is simply the Ticket Purchase page - unless you have a bloody UK Post Code you cannot order a ticket. So how ELSE can overseas fans get tickets apart from through mates.

Hopefully that will change hopefully the club can tweak the software and hopefully the groups around the world can start to get some official affiliation. London Saints have never found it difficult to get match tickets. Hopefully soon the massive in Moscow or Mumbai can join the loonies from Brisbane in being able to even BUY tickets online.

And for me? I have a Season Ticket as it was the only solution. Because clearly once we are in the CL every year in our 60,000 seat stadium we will have a 20 year waiting list for ST's and when I am old and decrepid (next week) I want to be able to sit with my blanket, flask of coffee and my mates.

Season ticket revenue is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things these days. Clubs live off of tv income. Your argument is just a bit silly really. A saints fan who goes to just one game a season has more right to buy a ticket for this game than your mate who fancies seeing Man Utd. Fortunately most on here disagree with you.

How rude! Actually, people started off disagreeing but we have come up with a variety on the theme that works. Your assumptions are also quite wrong and I would be offended by your post if not so thick skinned. With regards to revenue you actually supported my argument that ST holders can be abused when times are good but the Club craves our very relevant cash when further down the leagues. As you decided to get personal - I have no problem getting all the tickets I want due to the quantities purchased. However, for this Man U game I bought 1 ticket for my son who held a season ticket for 10 years until this year when he went away and his friend who is serving this Country abroad. I actually put his friend higher on the deserving list than most of us but it is our cash the Club wants and not our merit.

Thanks Bearsy - it was a bit of a rough ride but I think we have come up with the principle of coming up with a system that rewards people who support the Club with their investment. I would love to have a system where people are rewarded for their love of the club but we have to survive in the real World.

Tbh, I was getting irritated at your opinion but fair play for changing your mind. I completely agree that the customer point system would be the best (e.g. if someone went to Newcastle away clearly it's a bigger commitment than going to Man City at home) but also agree ST should have some other benefit. Maybe are entered into a draw to meet the players or have discounted prices in the hospitality.

On the subject of #globalsfc, Aussie Saint is performing miracles at bringing us all together. His articles in the programme are a small part of his work, his FB pages & Twitter have seen an amazing results - heck the latest one was for a Thai Saints fan wanting to know what bars to watch the game while in Malaysia!

Behind that creation of a Community this year have been other efforts to actually get us organised - BUT his biggest task is simply the Ticket Purchase page - unless you have a bloody UK Post Code you cannot order a ticket. So how ELSE can overseas fans get tickets apart from through mates.

Hopefully that will change hopefully the club can tweak the software and hopefully the groups around the world can start to get some official affiliation. London Saints have never found it difficult to get match tickets. Hopefully soon the massive in Moscow or Mumbai can join the loonies from Brisbane in being able to even BUY tickets online.

And for me? I have a Season Ticket as it was the only solution. Because clearly once we are in the CL every year in our 60,000 seat stadium we will have a 20 year waiting list for ST's and when I am old and decrepid (next week) I want to be able to sit with my blanket, flask of coffee and my mates.

I could give you a company address and forward the mail and tickets on if it helps?

Tbh, I was getting irritated at your opinion but fair play for changing your mind. I completely agree that the customer point system would be the best (e.g. if someone went to Newcastle away clearly it's a bigger commitment than going to Man City at home) but also agree ST should have some other benefit. Maybe are entered into a draw to meet the players or have discounted prices in the hospitality.

Good suggestions. I think the options that would be attractive to the Club are ones that would cost a lot for us but not for the Club. Meet the players is a great idea. Apologies for irritating you but I hate being pushed around by big business and wanted to get ideas to make a stand.

I'm quite happy to volunteer to get tickets for overseas supporters (I'm not paying for them mind!). I live quite near the ground so it's no biggie. Does Aussie Saint have a list of people willing to help out?

I'm quite happy to volunteer to get tickets for overseas supporters (I'm not paying for them mind!). I live quite near the ground so it's no biggie. Does Aussie Saint have a list of people willing to help out?

Can't speak for him but he seems pretty much in control of sources now #globalsfc on Twitter & https://www.facebook.com/GlobalSaintsFC?fref=nf

All this 'part-time fan' 'true fan' stuff is bull. Owning a season ticket does not automatically make you more of a fan.

What it likely means is that you live close enough and have enough income that it can be considered an acceptable expense. Just for a hypothetical a hardcore fan may live abroad and commute in for a dozen games over a season and any opportunity they can take - I don't see this would make them any less of a fan!

I don't believe season ticket holders buddies should be entitled to things more than paying customers, nonsense to me. Should there still be leftovers after offering to previous attenders of x amount of matches these excess (not that there would be any for utd) could then be held for season ticket holders + 1s over those who have previously not attended.

All this 'part-time fan' 'true fan' stuff is bull. Owning a season ticket does not automatically make you more of a fan.

What it likely means is that you live close enough and have enough income that it can be considered an acceptable expense. Just for a hypothetical a hardcore fan may live abroad and commute in for a dozen games over a season and any opportunity they can take - I don't see this would make them any less of a fan!

I don't believe season ticket holders buddies should be entitled to things more than paying customers, nonsense to me. Should there still be leftovers after offering to previous attenders of x amount of matches these excess (not that there would be any for utd) could then be held for season ticket holders + 1s over those who have previously not attended.

I think you've missed the point. A season ticket holder is a paying customer too.

Well said upwey. I'm a season ticket holder this yr because I'm now in the fortunate position of being able to afford one. I've had to pick and choose games in the past due to finance and working Saturdays . No more or less if a fan than I ever was. Always been a 'true' fan if there is such a thing

And I would rather a saints fan who has to pick and choose games gets a chance for a utd ticket rather than some random mate of mine.