Villa 0-0 Saints - reaction

Sheaf Saint

Well I enjoyed the game . Been many years since I was last at villa park . We should have won it quite easily . We have such a bright team with everyone switched on to everyone's positive. Mentality . There is something really special about this squad . I know folk on the forum love to moan but those that do are seriously doing the team a disservice . Annoyed we didn't win but Newcastle lost . Right having a few jars before I head back home on a marathon journey .

Well I enjoyed the game . Been many years since I was last at villa park . We should have won it quite easily . We have such a bright team with everyone switched on to everyone's positive. Mentality . There is something really special about this squad . I know folk on the forum love to moan but those that do are seriously doing the team a disservice . Annoyed we didn't win but Newcastle lost . Right having a few jars before I head back home on a marathon journey .

Glad you enjoyed it... totally agree we are great to watch.. and 8th position is exactly where we deserve to be with our current squad.

Actually thought despite the result we played well today. Villa played as if they were happy with the 0-0 and sometimes when that is the case, that is all you get. We broke them down plenty of times and created lots of chances, we just didn't convert any. Roll on next week I say...

perhaps one or two of you ought to take a step back and take a deep breath. While we had no cutting edge up front, can you really be surprised? Our record signing is out on loan, our top scorer is out for the season and our only established striker remaining needs a break.

Despite this, we played some beautiful football today - would you rather we were set up like Villa? Play for a 0-0 with hoofball?

Unlike under the Strachan era when we finished 8th most people recognized that was the high water mark and we were unlikely to repeat that feat. This year we have a really young team that will only be better next year for the experience gained this year.

If we can keep the core of the side together and keep the manager next season could be even better than this one.

perhaps one or two of you ought to take a step back and take a deep breath. While we had no cutting edge up front, can you really be surprised? Our record signing is out on loan, our top scorer is out for the season and our only established striker remaining needs a break.

Despite this, we played some beautiful football today - would you rather we were set up like Villa? Play for a 0-0 with hoofball?

Unlike under the Strachan era when we finished 8th most people recognized that was the high water mark and we were unlikely to repeat that feat. This year we have a really young team that will only be better next year for the experience gained this year.

If we can keep the core of the side together and keep the manager next season could be even better than this one.

That's the big question though, who knows? The summer is full of questions. If we do keep the team together and manage to add to it, then yes - we can improve. Although I do think we'll see more outs than in's and I think we should start to prepare ourselves for a bit of a bumpy one next year.

what more can you say.....if we had 99% possession ...we'd still have to score in order to get three points.....and even a stone cold penalty was denied us.

Three officials on / around the pitch " didn't see it " , but tens of millions of TV viewers did ....an absolute farce:mcinnes:

Yes, because one refereeing decision was all that denied us a win. Sod the fact we could have played until midnight and not scored...

But I am glad so many of you are so impressed and satisfied by pretty possession football, however ineffective it is actually being proven to be....

Yes, because one refereeing decision was all that denied us a win. Sod the fact we could have played until midnight and not scored...

But I am glad so many of you are so impressed and satisfied by pretty possession football, however ineffective it is actually being proven to be....

I wouldn't say an 8th placed finish has proven it to be ineffective what so ever. I'm sure you'll be right in your element next season though, I bet you can't wait for the sales and the struggle.

I was there - good display but no end product again - we really do need to be more clinical in front of goal and have more shots!

I'll go along with that. Looked really comfortable, but we have to get more clinical up front.

I'm sure we'll try and sign a striker or two in the Summer.

Serious question: did you watch the match?

I am also an ex-pat and I watched the entire 90+ minutes. We played well, imo - I am pleased to say.

Glad you love irony Duncan . It wasn't meant to be a moan simply pointing out the facts re the negative stuff that gets posted about the team and the players all the time .

I'm hoping to get to one more home game before the end of e season z. Travelling by train from Aberdeen is picturesque but very tiring . God I gave got the return journey to look forward to and then a flight home to Orkney . At least I haven't got a 7 hour ferry trip to contemplate as well . How's that for dedication

Come on you saints .

Serious question: did you watch the match?

I am also an ex-pat and I watched the entire 90+ minutes. We played well, imo - I am pleased to say.

Why is there all always this myth that passing the ball around the middle of the park (mostly slowly) is playing well. We had 3 shots at goal for the entire match and not a single shot (either on or off target) after the 35th minute. That is not good play at all.

Why is there all always this myth that passing the ball around the middle of the park (mostly slowly) is playing well. We had 3 shots at goal for the entire match and not a single shot (either on or off target) after the 35th minute. That is not good play at all.

That doesn't really tell the story though. We played some neat stuff in the final third at times and got into some very dangerous positions against a well organised defence, but the lack of a shot at the end of those moves doesn't make it bad play either.

Dull end of season game, we were tidy and the better team all told, if Rodriguez was playing I'd think we'd have won.

What the hell has happened to Villa - they should be a respectable Premier League side, not scrapping at they are for every point they can get their hands on with a few gobby chavs to our right,

At least they made a bit of noise unlike our lout these days.

Glad you love irony Duncan . It wasn't meant to be a moan simply pointing out the facts re the negative stuff that gets posted about the team and the players all the time .

I'm hoping to get to one more home game before the end of e season z. Travelling by train from Aberdeen is picturesque but very tiring . God I gave got the return journey to look forward to and then a flight home to Orkney . At least I haven't got a 7 hour ferry trip to contemplate as well . How's that for dedication

Come on you saints .

Fair play for the effort you have made and your dedication. But there is nothing wrong with people having a moan on a forum, that's what it is all about. I learn more from negative posts than the happy clappy rose tinted ones which actually tell me nothing. Safe journey home.

Outplayed them for large amounts of the game. Has been a long season and it is starting to show when it comes to the cutting edge.

Saying this we play some great football again.

Keep this team together and bring in a couple of strikers and we can look for top 6! ;)

If there's one thing Villa don't do, it's hoofball. They play away-day counter-attacking football every week, which goes some way to explaining their miserable home form

who says I'm glad?.......it may look nice, but is b****y pointless if we can't create enough to score / win a game, and it's fairly clear that without Jay Rod - we have no real alternative strike options.

What the hell has happened to Villa - they should be a respectable Premier League side, not scrapping at they are for every point they can get their hands on with a few gobby chavs to our right,

Big club villa, but there's a massive lack of quality in their team. Think they'll stay up but they've been v.lucky to scrape together as many points as they have.

From a scouting point of view tho, I wouldn't object to the goalkeeper and the left back (albeit I think he's on loan from Chelsea). My villa mate said Albrighton is out of contract too, I thought he gave Shaw a tough game at times.

Big club villa, but there's a massive lack of quality in their team. Think they'll stay up but they've been v.lucky to scrape together as many points as they have.

From a scouting point of view tho, I wouldn't object to the goalkeeper and the left back (albeit I think he's on loan from Chelsea). My villa mate said Albrighton is out of contract too, I thought he gave Shaw a tough game at times.

Does he pass the Danny Ings test though?

who says I'm glad?.......it may look nice, but is b****y pointless if we can't create enough to score / win a game, and it's fairly clear that without Jay Rod - we have no real alternative strike options.

We created four good chances against a side intent on not losing. You'd expect to score at least one from four good chances. It was poor finishing.

On the other hand I thought Villa were very poor today.

Last season they gave us a right going over, but we won with a very dodgy penalty. This season they looked a team with very little fight. If I was a Villa fan I would have been disappointed about how they let us boss them around.

We may not score as often as everyone on here would like but we're in a much better place than Villa and than we were last season.

Bertrand is on loan from Chelsea. He was probably the reason Clyne was less willing to get forward than Shaw did on the left. Both Albrighton and Shaw played well. A good contest. Love awaydays in brum and Villa Park's a proper old ground.

Fair play for the effort you have made and your dedication. But there is nothing wrong with people having a moan on a forum, that's what it is all about. I learn more from negative posts than the happy clappy rose tinted ones which actually tell me nothing. Safe journey home.

I am sorry to hear that you do not learn anything from my posts.

Sad really:.... that you have gone over to the moaners eleven..Alpine , Barry Sanchez, Glasgow...Corp Ho etc :p

Do you not realise that they are not moaners but charlatans.:mcinnes:

I thought many of the happy clappy rose tinted posters generally give some of the most informative posts.

Whereas the moaners you praise so much tell lies . bull**** WUM and really nasty little urchins.

FFS... What the hell has got into you these last few years?:rolleyes:

Anyway back to reading some of my Saints books written by some of the moaning minnies:p

My Grandad was in your class at school and said you were always moaning then......At least he waited til he was in his 70s before he became a moaning old boyz;)

As you know I belong to the happy clappy rose tinted glasses gang:D

I much prefer my gang to your new found gang of moaning groaning wasters.

Now that is what you call A MOAN OR IS IT A RANT ABOUT SOMEONE i USED TO RESPECT.:mcinnes::mcinnes:

Behave yourself Grandad or I will get Nan to have a real good moan about your slide over to the dark side.:)

But the posts don't have to be negative, just balanced, if they saw the game that is... yesterday, again we should have won, but our final delivery still needs improving and our chance completion was poor; Lambert/Lallana/Davis all should have scored but the final pass was not great.

Still play some lovely football which will beat most bottom half teams again next year.

Good possession...poor game...made worse by biased Ref (must be biased as he had full sight of what was a blatant handball in pen area). Davis really should scored. Lambert looks so tired...Gallagher is L1 standard at the moment at least. Osvaldo and Mayuka decisions were clearly all wrong. Next.

That's the big question though, who knows? The summer is full of questions. If we do keep the team together and manage to add to it, then yes - we can improve. Although I do think we'll see more outs than in's and I think we should start to prepare ourselves for a bit of a bumpy one next year.

This is a logical sensible argument.

Without keeping this Swiss together (bar the deadwood) plus adding three or four minimum next year will be a struggle.

It's a case of bring in the reinforcements required and finish top six or if we don't then could see us in the bottom half or worse....

Not to invest in this team would be criminal given the talent we have. The worry is that if we don't invest the great players we have will of course think about moving on and/or their motivation will drop a level........

Manager and players will need to know now though or they will start look around for options which then turn into decisions !

Good possession...poor game...made worse by biased Ref (must be biased as he had full sight of what was a blatant handball in pen area). Davis really should scored. Lambert looks so tired...Gallagher is L1 standard at the moment at least. Osvaldo and Mayuka decisions were clearly all wrong. Next.

It wasn't the ref, how his assistant didn't give it I'll never know.

Not sure what point your trying to make. Even if I did/didn't, 99% of our support were stood in complete silence, no atmosphere whatsoever.

Certainly not reflective of the part of the lower tier I was standing on. It wasn't the loudest away game I've been to but there was more then a little life in us.

The Villa fans were more embarrassing, waited an hour until signing anything of collective note.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. Even if I did/didn't, 99% of our support were stood in complete silence, no atmosphere whatsoever.

I am afraid I just get highly irritated when people whine on about fellow supporters not singing or creating an atmosphere that they deem to be acceptable. Even in the highly unlikely event that 99% of them were silent, so what? They paid there money to go and watch a football match, and if they want to do so in silence then that is up to them. Not everyone feels the need to shout themselves hoarse for 90 minutes.