Big vic!

Roger

Watched game and thought he was very good. To be told by people we missed cork and he gave ball away. His pass completion was 95% and he was very good in covering defensive positions. Thoughts?

Thought he had a good game and allowed Morgan to get forward more than he has been doing lately.

Will be a force for us next season.

Good to see Victor Wanyama back and in my opinion MOTM performance.

Also think Jack Cork is a great player and played very well for us.

Pity Vic got injured when he did but a big presence for us...

Exactly what we need ...players playing for position and good cover/rotation etc.

COYS

Haven't seen today's game, but really thought he was a massive part of our solid start to the season. Since he's been out I don't think we've been the same defensively, although obviously Boruc was also out for a while along with fonte, lovren and shaw missing the odd games.

There are some games that Cork is more suited to when the other team's midfield is not as physical but overall I think Wanyama is the better of the two.

WE have never been the same defensively since Wanyama was injured... he's a beast, protects the back four superbly and has been sorely missed..

Agreed, but today he added the useful ability to consistently pass the ball to a team mate. Long may it continue.

Good to see Victor Wanyama back and in my opinion MOTM performance.

Also think Jack Cork is a great player and played very well for us.

Pity Vic got injured when he did but a big presence for us...

Exactly what we need ...players playing for position and good cover/rotation etc.

COYS

Do my eyes deceive me, or is the first time in the history of the internet that Ottery has posted on here without employing even a single 'smilie' for the benefit of his many fans?

You have me worried old chap - please tell us you are not ill. :scared:

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Do my eyes deceive me, or is the first time in the history of the internet Ottery has posted on here without employing even a single 'smilie' for the benefit of his many fans?

You have be worried old chap - please tell you are not ill. :scared:

Just glad Ottery is not our manager he would never drop any of his boyz

good player in my opinion, was a brick wall today - and used the ball intelligently. He was one of the key reasons towards our start, if you have a solid base and don't concede then it gives you a massive chance to pickup points (although, not in our case these days, as we don't score goals!)

good player in my opinion, was a brick wall today - and used the ball intelligently. He was one of the key reasons towards our start, if you have a solid base and don't conceded then it gives you a massive chance to pickup points (although, not in our case these days, as we don't score goals!)

Thats the key, he just needs to keep it extremely simple with his passing as he doesn't have the ability of someone like Schneiderlin to start spraying the ball around the pitch. If he sits in front of the centre backs breaking up opposition attacks and then keeps it simple with his passing he is very effective.

Do my eyes deceive me, or is the first time in the history of the internet that Ottery has posted on here without employing even a single 'smilie' for the benefit of his many fans?

You have me worried old chap - please tell us you are not ill. :scared:

Lost my crayons for a moment:blush:

Watched game and thought he was very good. To be told by people we missed cork and he gave ball away. His pass completion was 95% and he was very good in covering defensive positions. Thoughts?
I don't particularly have a problem with his pass completion rate or the job he does, just the amount he asks from others. If you were playing CB, you'd love someone like that in front of you - but he does so little else of any worth for us. Can we progress playing such a player? Asks a lot of Schneiderlin and the rest of the team, but guarantees a few clean sheets.

I don't particularly have a problem with his pass completion rate or the job he does, just the amount he asks from others. If you were playing CB, you'd love someone like that in front of you - but he does so little else of any worth for us. Can we progress playing such a player? Asks a lot of Schneiderlin and the rest of the team, but guarantees a few clean sheets.

Simple way to view it -

Last season when Cork came into the team it was the positive turning point.

This season when Wanyama went out of the team was the negative turning point - wasnt it 7 goals conceded in first 12 leaving us with top teams.

Much better player for us than Cork IMHO but lucky to have both

In many Saints fans eyes, Cork can do no wrong and Wanyama is rubbish. No amount of evidence will change their mind.

Thought he was superb today, as close to an immaculate performance for a defensive midfielder as you can get.

According to Toure, it's because he's African

Think Poch has brought him back in to grind out some clean sheets whilst we're so short in attacking options. Wanyamas presence also allows Clyne and Shaw to push right on, Shaw looked to be playing very high today. VW was a good signing.

That's a good point but if we're doing that wouldn't it pay to rain crosses into the box to get Lambert to revert to a more advanced role trying to get his head on stuff (old skool I now but with no J-rod we need a different plan)

Why does it have to be one or the other? Personally I think we look much better going forward with Cork in the team but better defensively with Victor playing. They're different players with different qualities we need both of them in the Squad if we are serious about pushing on in the PL. Surely a good manager plays different players for different games.

Think Poch has brought him back in to grind out some clean sheets whilst we're so short in attacking options. Wanyamas presence also allows Clyne and Shaw to push right on, Shaw looked to be playing very high today. VW was a good signing.

Not sure if anyone else noted this but Clyne didn't really push on yesterday, he seemed reluctant to run down the wing. I thought it might have been instructions to mkae sure we didn't get done on the counter attack. Whereas Shaw was very aggressive in his play and was looking to run on as much as he could.

Not sure if anyone else noted this but Clyne didn't really push on yesterday, he seemed reluctant to run down the wing. I thought it might have been instructions to mkae sure we didn't get done on the counter attack. Whereas Shaw was very aggressive in his play and was looking to run on as much as he could.

Yes I noticed that. It became a bit frustrating because he kept playing the ball 10 yards square to a midfielder when attacking down the line at speed and a cross into the box seemed a better option. He attacked once and we got a penalty shout. Bertrand's quite a decent full back, perhaps that was why. Who else did Villa have on the left, was it Weimann? Or perhaps we needed pace at the back to cover Agbhonlahor.

Thought he looked back to his best. Amazes me how many fans we have who refuse to accept a good performance so they can have a good moan or scapegoat.

VW misplaced one pass in the 2nd half which lead to him conceding a free kick. So many blokes in the pub just then wouldn't shut up about how crap he is and what a waste of money he is.

Yet if Lallana makes a mistake, it's unlucky.

Wanyama does his job well and we're a better team when he's in it.

Very surprised at how many people thought he was outstanding yesterday. He was notably one of our worst from the stream I was watching. Even if I'm wrong though, and he actually had a good game, Cork is still a far better player than he is at the moment, and is vital to how we play.

Wanyama will be important for us in the future but Cork is too good to be dropped.

Very surprised at how many people thought he was outstanding yesterday. He was notably one of our worst from the stream I was watching. Even if I'm wrong though, and he actually had a good game, Cork is still a far better player than he is at the moment, and is vital to how we play.

Wanyama will be important for us in the future but Cork is too good to be dropped.

Personally, before yesterday I thought Wanyama has been the better player. Cork is good and chases - but often chases due to his mistake.

Whoever fans prefer , its about results - in prem games when they have played most game -

Cork 18 games - we have earnt 17 points.

Wanyama 16 games - 29 points.

Over that amount of games, can it be coincidence we gain points at twice the rate when playing with inferior player in an I fluencial position?

Personally, before yesterday I thought Wanyama has been the better player. Cork is good and chases - but often chases due to his mistake.

Whoever fans prefer , its about results - in prem games when they have played most game -

Cork 18 games - we have earnt 17 points.

Wanyama 16 games - 29 points.

Over that amount of games, can it be coincidence we gain points at twice the rate when playing with inferior player in an I fluencial position?

So you're basically saying when cork plays we're a team that would struggle to stay up, when Wanyama plays he turns us into one that would finish in the top 6. So much for your brash 6th placed finish with last seasons squad claims last year.

Edited by Turkish

So you're basically saying when cork plays we're a team that would struggle to stay up, when Wanyama plays he turns us into one that would finish in the top 6. So much for your brash 6th placed finish with last seasons squad claims last year.

Think you assessment too simplistic and critical of Cork. I think that over a season we would do better with Wanyama but not to the extreme you suggest.

Yes my brash comments last season appear to have been spot on. Thought NC would have set his sights with an aim towards 6th-9th with last season squad - with the 3 additions sounds like he was talking about 4th-6th.

Thought this too optimistic personally and around 7th / 8th most likely.

Very enjoyable season.

No idea about next yet but at least shown we are not light years away from top 6 as some thought.

Think you assessment too simplistic and critical of Cork. I think that over a season we would do better with Wanyama but not to the extreme you suggest.

Yes my brash comments last season appear to have been spot on. Thought NC would have set his sights with an aim towards 6th-9th with last season squad - with the 3 additions sounds like he was talking about 4th-6th.

Thought this too optimistic personally and around 7th / 8th most likely.

Very enjoyable season.

No idea about next yet but at least shown we are not light years away from top 6 as some thought.

Hang on a minute, it was your assessment, not mine, it was your criticism of cork not mine. you're the one trotting out points per game with both and suggesting we get twice as many points with Wanyama in the team and not cork, so you're the one being overly simplistic. To quote you '

"Can it be coincidence we gain twice as many points as when playing with an inferior player in a key position"

"Its about results"

The points and matches you quote are 16 and 18 games so almost half a season, Using your assessment and points per game Cork in the team over the season gives us 33 points and relegation

Wanyama in instead gives us 68 and a good chance of top 6

Your figures pal, "it's about results" as you said. cork was here last season, Wanyama wasn't, last season prediction of 6th with last seasons squad is yet again exposed as bullsh*t.

Edited by Turkish

I wish everyone wouldn't get so hung up on being #teamcork or #teambigvic.

We've struggled in goal, defence and attack due to squad deficiencies but center mid has been strong all year and whoever plays there has bossed it.

Its the only area we don't need to strengthen but people still moan.

I wish everyone wouldn't get so hung up on being #teamcork or #teambigvic.

We've struggled in goal, defence and attack due to squad deficiencies but center mid has been strong all year and whoever plays there has bossed it.

Its the only area we don't need to strengthen but people still moan.

Right back competition with both Clyne and Chambers is fine as well. But only having central midfield and right back with depth in the squad has been our problem this season.

I've never understood why people need to think that if you like vic you can't like cork. Both are good players with different attributes and both have had periods this season that've made themselves undroppable (against each other). It's called competition and in my eyes it's a damn good thing that we have players who are good enough to cause this problem, and better still that we can pick and choose the right fit for a game.

Still don't see why the manager and many fans think Cork/Wanyama/Morgan could never work. It'd be incredibly difficult for opposition to get past them, particularly in away games, great work rate and ability to get the ball and give it to Lallana/Lambert/Rodriguez. Thought that would be the first choice last summer and it's never happened.

You can't play the high press with three defensive midfielders - it would completely alter our tactics. Even if you pushed Morgan further up we'd lose too much. I think both cork and wanyama are excellent and will have their role in different games but would rarely consider playing them together.

Played very well, on Saturday and good to see. Don't know why so many always need to have a polarised view. Sometimes players play well some times they don't.

Those who say VW so much better than JC will quite conveniently forget games like Fulham away where the half-time change ensured we won the game.

I've never understood why people need to think that if you like vic you can't like cork. Both are good players with different attributes and both have had periods this season that've made themselves undroppable (against each other). It's called competition and in my eyes it's a damn good thing that we have players who are good enough to cause this problem, and better still that we can pick and choose the right fit for a game.

Quite right.