Clyne

Ewell

There can be no doubt that we have been using our full backs to provide width for the majority of this season but since JRod's injury we are even more reliant on them doing so. I think Shaw is doing a very good job but did anyone else get continually irritated by Clyne either not taking on his opposite number or continually passing the ball inside to a central midfielder and then not making a run forward to get the ball back but waiting in a deep lying position. The one time Clyne did make that forward run he could have been rewarded with a penalty for a handball.

I honestly think he had a shocker yesterday and I think Chambers should be restored to the team for the next match. What does everyone else think?

There can be no doubt that we have been using our full backs to provide width for the majority of this season but since JRod's injury we are even more reliant on them doing so. I think Shaw is doing a very good job but did anyone else get continually irritated by Clyne either not taking on his opposite number or continually passing the ball inside to a central midfielder and then not making a run forward to get the ball back but waiting in a deep lying position. The one time Clyne did make that forward run he could have been rewarded with a penalty for a handball.

I honestly think he had a shocker yesterday and I think Chambers should be restored to the team for the next match. What does everyone else think?

You are not wrong. Clyne always plays best when attacking down the wing as he is not the best player at placing the long ball. I don't know why he is backing off these days.

I imagine he was told to hold back and protect us from Villa's counterattacks and Agbonlahor in particular. Clyne has strong attacking instincts and wasn't short on confidence when he did get up there.

Shaw didn't have quite the same brief but, as we saw, Albrighton caused him a few problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think Clyne has gone backwards this season. due mostly to the emergence of Callum Chambers and he does put a good cross in from the byline, although there are question marks regards his defending, its good though to have 2 young RB's fighting it out for 1 position as good LB and RB's are always hard to come by

I agree with what you say - Nathan seemed very reluctant to take on the Villa defenders - the one time he did he got a great ball from Morgan and ran round the defender and should have had a penalty. We really do need him to do this more often.

Shaw had an excellent game and was my MoM for saints. What a shame we haven't got more players willing to take a shot at goal from the edge of the area.

He looked totally bereft of confidence going forward, a shame as his pace and incisiveness are his best asset.

He did defend well though, but without Jay we lack the movement through the middle to stretch even the poorer defences, the wings need to be utilised more. Shaw was excellent and given the tactical remit to do it, Clyne should have been allowed the same grace with the midfield drilled to cover any potential break from Agbonlahor as he surged forward.

I'm pretty sure he's acting on instructions as Shaw behaved very similarly against man city, passing it inside instead of taking the defender on. That day it went in the main down the right using Chambers. Clyne and chambers are very different players but will not always be given licence to take on the defenders.

Both are strong defensively but Chambers control and crossing is not as good as Clyne in my opinion. I think Clyne must have been told to stay back yesterday as he is usually a good attacking outlet down our right side. Chambers will be a fantastic player for us in the future if he stays but he is still learning and has a way to go.

Behave.

Why? He is behind a 19 year old for a midtable team. Im sure his agent will be looking at whats available for him and if we got a good offer it would be interesting to see what happens.

End of the day Clyne had a World Cup chance, especially with Walker injured. But he has not played enough for us to get in the squad - he must be very frustrated how the season has gone.

almost any player you can name has poor spells and having time out for injuries doesn't help either.

despite the fact that; Lovren, Wanyama and Clyne had extended periods out his season. None of them has regained their early season form.

Although Lovren looked (sort of OK) after his return, neither Clyne ...or Wanyama for that matter, look a patch on their earlier performances. It takes time and games to get back upto strength.

Fortunately, Chambers and Cork covered well, but without Lovren we looked quite vulnerable at the back with Hooiveld and Yoshida looking like strangers waiting to be introduced to each other.

A good close season for everyone will bring them back upto pace and hope we can get an equally good start next season. At his best, Clyne is probably first choice, but he doesn't look it at the moment.

almost any player you can name has poor spells and having time out for injuries doesn't help either.

despite the fact that; Lovren, Wanyama and Clyne had extended periods out his season. None of them has regained their early season form.

Although Lovren looked (sort of OK) after his return, neither Clyne ...or Wanyama for that matter, look a patch on their earlier performances. It takes time and games to get back upto strength.

Fortunately, Chambers and Cork covered well, but without Lovren we looked quite vulnerable at the back with Hooiveld and Yoshida looking like strangers waiting to be introduced to each other.

A good close season for everyone will bring them back upto pace and hope we can get an equally good start next season. At his best, Clyne is probably first choice, but he doesn't look it at the moment.

Utter tosh. Clyne made an error away at Spurs and his crossing has been erratic but I have no idea what your basing your assessment on. His situation is very different from Wanyama. Arguably Clyne's been unlucky - his form is secondary. The overriding fact is that Chambers has done pretty well and MP seems to prefer him.

Have Hooiveld and Yoshida even played together in a league game together this season?

I couldn't agree less! Thought Chambers was poor against both Citeh & Cardiff. Clyne provides greater width & is quicker than Chambers. We are very fortunate to have both IMHO.

THIS.

Chambers is a good player but where we lack pace we need someone who is quick at RB, if we sign a pacey winger then having a slower RB is fine as we wont really on him to push on and get the ball in the box, he gets caught out at times because hes bombing forward and cant get back in time, however for when teams play a big CF who goes to the wing backs to beat them in the air, Chambers does a much better job.