Premier League from January doesn't look so good

ART

This is pretty irrelevant.

I'd go further... This is completely irrelevant.

Plus in any case ART's graphic shows Saints are only 3 places and 1 point below their current league position of 8th and only 3 points behind 5th. So I'm really not sure what point ART is using this table to justify...?

Plus in any case ART's graphic shows Saints are only 3 places and 1 point below their current league position of 8th and only 3 points behind 5th. So I'm really not sure what point ART is using this table to justify...?

Some sort of utterly crazy conspiracy theory that only exists in Arts head, I'd imagine.

I'll take that.

Amazing how Stoke have flown under all of our radars. Where's Mark Hughes' manager of the season nomination?

His team is currently 10th, having finished 13th last year, he hasn't really moved any mountains. Saints and Newcastle have progressed further in the last year.

I know haha, I was joking. But that is some form!

Newcastle didn't so much progress as return to normal service. They had an unusually time season last year because they were in Europe. To be fair though they're going to need some serious changes to stay in the top half next year. They're no kind of team, and without the individuals they rely on (Cabaye, Remy, previously Ben Arfa) they've got nothing.

So that table is irrelevant yet this one wasn't?

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?47356-Rolling-Premier-League-table#.U1YXIZm9LCQp

What was the point of the nonsense league tables you like to post up?

This one makes infinitely more sense than your utterly useless 'rolling league table'.

We certainly could have done with a good keeper and striker, but the January window is not the time to make big signings. Our next centre-forward is without doubt the most important signing for the club and had we signed someone in January we would have been rushed for time, extorted for money and quite possibly left with the wrong man. If I remember rightly there were some noises about going after targets but they didn't work out. No point spending masses for the sake of it if we can't get the guy we want.

Anyway, as this table demonstrates we haven't done too badly since then. In fact, we were 9th at Christmas and didn't pull up to 8th until February, where we're now likely to finish.

Edited by DuncanRG

This is great ART, only 5 points of a CL spot with 3 games to go. Living Nasty Nic's dream still. And all the other naysayers said top 4 was impossible, and you've gone and shown just how possible it is with your little league table that you meant to be another swipe at the club. Of course its not reality, but nice when the club bashers and the trolls stitch themselves up like a kipper again.

Reality is that we've had mediocre results since the turn of the year when we were still in the midst of a serious injury crisis. It shows that when we have our best team available we are as good as anyone, but we have no depth in the squad and will need to invest in several players simply to maintain our current position next season let alone move forward. All teams have injury crises, but many have stronger squads than us. It is something we can address, but whether it will take one or two seasons we will have to see. Nothing to say we cannot move into top 6 or 7 next season if we invest wisely and keep our current manager and the star players. There will be some slip ups from teams who are above us this season, for example Everton (sorry Bazza and Glazza) will possibly struggle if they qualify for CL with their relatively small squad, who knows even Liverpool may find it tough next season with a CL campaign. Maybe Poch will improve his win ratio next season and will get it to maybe 35% which is very good for a mid table team.

exactly, look at Liverpool , flying at the top after they bought, umm, err, umm, errr, dunno.

Anyway Liverpool is about Suarez,Sturridge and more recently Sterling, all the rest is pretty mediocre. Any reasonable side with Suarez would probably win the PL. He's scored what 30 league goals in about as many games not even to mention the high proportion of the 12 penalties that he's obtained for them. If we had Suarez we'd be top 4, it's as simple as that. If Utd had signed him they'd be top and Moyes would be the best thing since sliced bread. Never seen one player totally dominate a championship in the way that he's done.

Anyway Liverpool is about Suarez,Sturridge and more recently Sterling, all the rest is pretty mediocre. Any reasonable side with Suarez would probably win the PL. He's scored what 30 league goals in about as many games not even to mention the high proportion of the 12 penalties that he's obtained for them. If we had Suarez we'd be top 4, it's as simple as that. If Utd had signed him they'd be top and Moyes would be the best thing since sliced bread. Never seen one player totally dominate a championship in the way that he's done.

This is such a myth. All title winning teams have a great goalscorer but that doesn't mean they're carried. If Chelsea win the league they will be the first team I can remember in the Premier League era who did it without a striker reaching 15 goals.

Of course Liverpool have powered to the top because of their talent and tempo going forward, but that has been supported by a dynamic, buzzing midfield (Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho), a back line which enables that style of play (Mignolet, Johnson, Flanagan) and squad players who have done their bit when called upon (Sakho, Allen, Lucas).

Suarez would have won the league for Chelsea but they're a top class team who are only missing that striker. Liverpool are a top class team who've got one.

So you're saying they're a 3 man team?

Skrtel has scored 7 goals goals I'd say at least a 4 man team.

They're a good team no doubt, no a poor defence. I don't think Johnson deserves to be a title winner but there we go, their attack has been brilliant.

Still, I think they've benefitted hugely from other clubs at the top failing. Chelsea and Man City had every chance to pull away and fcked it up. Not playing in Europe has helped them a lot too and they won't get that advantage again. Bet MU have a good go at it next year without that distraction too.

This Europe thing. When was the last time a club won the league that was not in the champions league? If Europe was such hinderance wouldn't more teams without European football do better in the league.

They're a good team no doubt, no a poor defence. I don't think Johnson deserves to be a title winner but there we go, their attack has been brilliant.

Still, I think they've benefitted hugely from other clubs at the top failing. Chelsea and Man City had every chance to pull away and fcked it up. Not playing in Europe has helped them a lot too and they won't get that advantage again. Bet MU have a good go at it next year without that distraction too.

To expand on the above, not being in Europe naturally offers an advantage in terms of squad fitness and focus but not one that can go any great way to explaining a title win. First and foremost they're up there because they're bloody good.

They've been lucky with injuries, but most champions are. You do need luck to win a league title, and that's come for Liverpool with that and their competitor's failures. It's still reasonably tight.

What is fair to say is that they would be the worst title-winning defence for a long time. I'd be interested to see the stats on that, because most champions do have grind out 1-0s now and again but they haven't. The only top team with a particularly good defensive record this year (Chelsea) has been too blunt up front to capitalise.

Edited by DuncanRG

Fans at every club moan about transfer windows, lack of certain signings etc., but can there be a bigger missed opportunity than Chelsea? A decent striker and the title was theirs. Well, just an efficient striker, they get enough chances. Unbelievable all they did was sign Eto'o and ship out Lukaku.

Amazing, isn't it? In fairness they did try all they could to get Rooney and Cavani (maybe others? I forget). I suppose you could say there's no point spending for the sake of it if you can't get your preferred target...but that doesn't sound like Chelsea.

If they get Costa and he lands on his feet they might take some stopping next year.