Luke shaw off to Brazil

Chewy

Miss-placed a pass badly, dallied dangerously on a clearance. Looks (understandably) rusty. He will probably have a blinder from now on ...

But currently looking good for shaw!

You do realise its the semi-final of the Champions League and he's only just fit again... a different level to anything Shaw has played to date..

However, if Cole does not play much, its probable Shaw may be taken anyway.

Lampard has done absolutely nothing so far, why is he on the pitch? He's done.

Along with about 7 of his team mates. Will always support the english representative (except Pompey, obviously) but would quite like a Madrid derby as the final.

Along with about 7 of his team mates. Will always support the english representative (except Pompey, obviously) but would quite like a Madrid derby as the final.

you say done nothing.

what were you expecting?

A. Madrid are an absolute machine. and so far, chelsea are playing the text book european away game. Even with their GK going off injured early

Think Shaw will go. With it hugely unlikely England win the world cup, why take Cole? Surely giving young players tournament experience is vital now. Shaw, Sterling, Barkley, Lallana, Wilshere, Henderson, Chamberlain, Sturridge should all be in there and hopefully for the next couple of tournaments. Plenty of talent around but pointless if you're just going to play the old guard forever.

agree. absolutely no sense in taking lampard and cole

True, still dont understand what Lampard brings to the team anymore.

I suppose Lampard's more experienced than anyone in grinding out a 0-0 the Mourinho way.

I wonder if he's put Ramires on the right because he might go on a little run and score like he did at the Nou Camp in an equally negative display.

Think Shaw will go. With it hugely unlikely England win the world cup, why take Cole? Surely giving young players tournament experience is vital now. Shaw, Sterling, Barkley, Lallana, Wilshere, Henderson, Chamberlain, Sturridge should all be in there and hopefully for the next couple of tournaments. Plenty of talent around but pointless if you're just going to play the old guard forever.

I disagree. The World Cup is the pinnacle, so you take the best possible squad. Give youngsters experience in the euros but the World Cup is about giving yourselves the best possible chance.

After the Denmark friendly I would still have taken cole. If baines gets crocked 10 mins into our first game I asked myself who would I rather rely on for the rest of the tournament and it would have to be cole. Based on tonight, I'm not so sure.

I guess the argument is, do you pick the players with the biggest reputations who have been playing for England for years and failed, or do you give the younger lads a chance to go and get some big tournament experience so they're ready to put up a good fight at the next euros and world cup potentially giving us the opportunity to be better in the long term.

I know where I would rather see us put our hopes.

You do realise its the semi-final of the Champions League and he's only just fit again... a different level to anything Shaw has played to date..

However, if Cole does not play much, its probable Shaw may be taken anyway.

Um, well yes, I didn't think I was tuning in to a friendly. And he's not just recovered from injury, he's been fit for weeks but overlooked for playing a right back in his place. IMHO cole is the best left back we've ever produced, but he looks well off the pace. Understandable due to his lack of games, but good enough for England on this form? Absolutely not.

I feel sorry for Lampard having to do Mikels running for him. Other than hold his position, or in other words stand around in front of the back four, can anyone tell me what Mikel actually does? Slow,lazy talentless footballer.

Diego Rivas looks like a neat player. Is he the Diego that said he wanted to play for Saints?

Always rated him. Looks fitter than in his previous loan spell at Athletico. Wonder if he has sorted his head out too.

Thats almost as good as a reason to play someone because they're a 'nuisence' (Andy Carroll)

Sorry, just realised you were talking about England not Chelsea! No reason to play Lampard or even take him to Brazil.

For me, at major tournaments you choose the squad which gives you best possible chance of progressing as far as possible in that tournament. No nonsense about giving people experience. Lucky for England there's only one eligible 'old guard' player who deserves to go on that basis, and that's Gerrard.

Cole's played fine since I've been tuned in tonight, but this is a pretty unique Mourinho job and not what he'd be doing for England. Doesn't have to run the line or attack at all, which would be your main worry with him.

When you're choosing a back-up for Baines (which is what Shaw or Cole will be) you've got to look at when they'd play. If Baines gets injured half way through the quarter final, it's 1-0 to England and the opposition are throwing the kitchen sink, do you want to throw a teenager in there? On the other hand, if England need a goal and Baines goes off, Shaw might go some way to replacing his attacking threat while Cole doesn't stand a chance.

The way I see it, Shaw's a confident lad and there's a chance he'd be able to step up defensively and offensively. Cole would do his job defensively if he stays in his own half but doesn't have a hope of offering a threat going forward in the way Baines and Shaw would. I'd take Shaw.

Edited by DuncanRG

you say done nothing.

what were you expecting?

A. Madrid are an absolute machine. and so far, chelsea are playing the text book european away game. Even with their GK going off injured early

I understand being defensive, but if you don't offer any threat, you're just inviting more pressure. I'd have played Ramires Central instead of either mikkel or lampard (he's better at that than either), and had oscar, schurrle or even salah on the right. And it'd be a far less dull game for us neutrals.

I understand being defensive, but if you don't offer any threat, you're just inviting more pressure. I'd have played Ramires Central instead of either mikkel or lampard (he's better at that than either), and had oscar, schurrle or even salah on the right. And it'd be a far less dull game for us neutrals.

God, if there's one team that can pull it off though, it's Mourinho's Chelsea.

And that's all that matters, the neutrals watching on telly are happy, forget the Chelsea fans, forget getting to the champions league final, forget your reputation as a manager as long as some bloke watching his widescreen with a cup of tea and crumpets is happy that's all that matters.

What I do not understand is that when a Chelsea player feels a touch and throws himself to the floor the commentators are saying that's fine. Around the other way and they are cheats!

Also they did not say much more about the fact that the Chelsea defender pushed the oppo player into his own keeper! I wish that defenders would stop pulling and pushing the forwards! The refs need to stamp it out!

The Chelsea line up and display is as if they are lower league side not a team that has had hundreds Of millions spent on it. It's depressing seeing a talent like Willian being asked to just track runners all game. I get the feeling this is what it's going to be like watching England this summer, backs against the wall rather than taking sides on.

And that's all that matters, the neutrals watching on telly are happy, forget the Chelsea fans, forget getting to the champions league final, forget your reputation as a manager as long as some bloke watching his widescreen with a cup of tea and crumpets is happy that's all that matters.

The neutral fan, ie the guy sat in front of the tv, is what pays the player wages these days.

What I do not understand is that when a Chelsea player feels a touch and throws himself to the floor the commentators are saying that's fine. Around the other way and they are cheats!

A case in point as Lampard takes out Juan Fran and rightly gets a yellow with Townsend saying Fran makes the most of it. What he should have been saying was Lampard showed a lack of composure in not bringing a ball down when he had time and then attempted to make up for it with a desperate lunge! because he is too old and slow to recover properly.

Wine and pizza actually. And while I take your point, if every game was like this football would not be the great game it is. This is no less anti-football than the long ball football of 20 years ago.

Which do you remember more fondly, steaua beating barce on pens, red star doing the same against marseille(playing for pens from the 5th minute) or Liverpool beating Milan in Istanbul? Win at all costs is very professional. And utterly dull.

Wine and pizza actually. And while I take your point, if every game was like this football would not be the great game it is. This is no less anti-football than the long ball football of 20 years ago.

Which do you remember more fondly, steaua beating barce on pens, red star doing the same against marseille(playing for pens from the 5th minute) or Liverpool beating Milan in Istanbul? Win at all costs is very professional. And utterly dull.

yeah, liverpool getting a ghost goal in that 1-0 thriller against chelsea in the semi's.......

I do lol at those expecting chelsea to go to the La Liga top team, sweep them aside...especially when their captain and keeper have been injured

typical european away performance if I have seen any. and those wanting European football at SMS. this is the sort of away performance our coach would put out

If this was Saints and our only hope was to play like this, we would be happy. Attack them on their own pitch and chelsea would get beaten 3/4-1. It is great tactics, spot on again by Chelsea!

typical european away performance if I have seen any. and those wanting European football at SMS. this is the sort of away performance our coach would put out

I think he'd be a lot more positive than this...but I also think we'd lose.

I do lol at those expecting chelsea to go to the La Liga top team, sweep them aside...especially when their captain and keeper have been injured

Except Chelsea have about 200 millions worth of talent more than we do. How about trusting your players, taking the initiative and having a go.

Oh, and the ghost goal is footballs greatest myth; if it wasn't a goal it was a nailed on penalty.

Except Chelsea have about 200 millions worth of talent more than we do. How about trusting your players, taking the initiative and having a go.

Oh, and the ghost goal is footballs greatest myth; if it wasn't a goal it was a nailed on penalty.

A. Madrid are Spains top side. A league that has both Barca and Real. I suspect A.Madrids players are WORTH a fecking fortune.

Maybe even more than Chelseas starting 11 on market rates....

if only football worked on money spent, we would have won league 1 by xmas......

Mourinho's teams have never been expansive, so no surprise at all at this set up... but Atletico are just as likely to win at Stamford Bridge so a draw would not give an advantage to either team.

Eh? I know Mourinho's record's just ended but Chelsea are still pretty formidable at home...

Mourinho away is one of the toughest fixtures in world football, no matter who he's managing

Makes me laugh how Sunderland can win at the bridge but Atletico cannot score at home against them.... Football is weird! Chelsea have made them look ordinary!

Sunderland could have played all night and they wouldn't have scored if Chelsea set up like this, to be fair

cahill has looked excellent against a brilliant side/striker.

He really has. I have never rated him, and fear for England due to our lack of quality in that position, but perhaps he can step up in the World Cup with the likes of shaw offering similar pace and strength.