Post exercise recovery foods/drinks.

View From The Top

A pint of milk coupled with a decent healthy meal (Oven roasted chicken breast and vegetables) always did me proud during my half marathon training. In particular I noticeably felt better the next morning when I started having the milk immediately after exercise.

Recommended to be taken about 2hrs before for endurance cycling. Not tried it myself. What brands do you use and where from??

James white, they sell it in sainsburys. 1/2 a carton a day or like you say before excercise does the trick. Turns your p*ss red though.

Normally for me it's a protein shake immediately after the exercise. Then either a steak and a load of veg or turkey breast with some peppers, mushroom and whole wheat pasta about an hour later.

I try and drink milk too but not before eating as it ruins my appetite.

Big bowl of pasta the night before. That was what we were told to eat before a race.

During the race in the camelbacks or whatever you are drinking from - flat Coca-Cola (or pepsi depending on your favourite) mixed with water. Around a 50/50 split leaning more towards water. Much better and cheaper than the traditional sports drinks.

After the race was always tomato soup with a roll. With jelly babies (also good for eating during the race).

This is for long distance canoe racing at a relatively high level, but usually transferable.

The Head of Sports at my college is a racing cyclist and massively into the science of it all so I went to ask him about the beetroot.

He suggests the "shots" of it that you can get but as everyone breaks it down differently timing the intake is tricky as I'll have to take it around 3hrs before an event. I'm tempted to juice my own as saw something about it on the GCN pages on YouTube.

Post ride, especially anything over 100km, I gulp down milk (with choccy powder in of course) and it certainly does seem to aid my recovery. Of course, avoiding anything with a very high sugar content is a challenge post 100km+ rides as my body screams for the carbs to be replaced.

During a long ride I refuel with a carb+caffine drink (usually have 2 x 500ml bottles or even 2 x 750ml) & something like mince pies, hot cross buns with jam and jelly babies and I always carry a couple of energy gels (with caffine) just in case.

I can't gulp milk down plain, being a poof I need some nesquik or the like in it. What I have to avoid as my body screams at me is mars bars and the like which I could wolf down.

Fair enough - i just thought that the lactose combined with the chocolate would give a lot of sugar.

(Oven roasted chicken breast and vegetables) always did me proud during my half marathon training. In particular I noticeably felt better the next morning when I started having the milk immediately after exercise.

Oven roasted??

Is there any other way?

Oven roasted??

Is there any other way?

The vegetables. .. alongside the obvious chicken. :)

Chicken is also damn good if pan fried or grilled. For more information consult your nearest KFC.

Edited by Colinjb