Is Jeremy Clarkson finished?

pap

No.

He said a word that I'm sure we've all said before. The media are blowing it out of proportion, as usual. If Clarkson gets the sack, I'm sure there are many many other, better reasons to sack him.

What I hate about these things is that nothing caused any offence to anyone until the media go out of their way to publicise what was said - then pretend to be outraged by how offensive it is.

Reminds me of the Hodgson/Townsed/monkey 'racism scandal'. The one which was only ever a racism scandal in the media and everyone else knew it wasn't actually used in a racist context.

I don't think Clarkson is racist, just an idiot. It's as if he is just saying it to get himself in trouble, like the last Top Gear in Burma when Hammond said there was a 'slope' on the bridge.

its a rhyme that most on here were able to fill in the gaps despite the mumble, why because we grew up when the rhyme could be recited, its like the use of the word as a dogs name, far too over blown by the media and they wonder why people are looking at UKIP!

Context/intent is important. That is why you have to assess his use of the word with regard to his previous comments about Mexicans and the recent 'slope' joke.

On its own this might seem insignificant, but he's got quite a history of making casually racist remarks for cheap laughs.

Do I think that makes him a racist? Possibly not. Do I think that makes him an idiot? Yes.

He wilfully (stubbornly) reinforces the oppression of women, people of colour, trans communities and more with his comments. He doesn't wear a hood but he goes as far as any other public figure in Britain, and he does it with a smile on his face. A poisonous little man.

He wilfully (stubbornly) reinforces the oppression of women, people of colour, trans communities and more with his comments. He doesn't wear a hood but he goes as far as any other public figure in Britain, and he does it with a smile on his face. A poisonous little man.

I think you are confusing his (very) public persona with the man himself.

I dont really like him, so I dont watch him, plenty do, fairplay to them.

I find it all rather pathetic asking for people to get the sack etc just because you dont like them or thr program they are on.

Stop whining and watch something else you whinging plebs

I think you are confusing his (very) public persona with the man himself.

The fact that he projects his bile is the problem, not whether he believes it. Jokes are every bit as damaging as honestly-held beliefs. Often they are more so, because people only have to laugh, not agree, to reinforce the message behind them.

Load of fuss over nothing. Stupid thing to say and he should (and has) apologise but the people screaming about it being a terrible display of racism blah blah blah. At the end of the day it's still just a word and if there's no intent to offend then I think people should be allowed to use it.

He should apologise for this trivial incident and I see that he has - that should be the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned. I think those on here calling for Clarkson to be dismissed may well deserve the 'beige television' that type of thinking will probably bring.

Okay he acts like a idiot at times, just like real Human Being's do, but Top Gear is a huge international success that entertains millions and earns the BBC a small fortune in the process. I can't see the beeb wanting to end that anytime soon.

As Smirking has said, if you don't like him then turn over and watch something else instead.

I see it's the mirror who are leading the charge re his dismissal .

There are bigger more serious stories in the news than clarksons story . How about the British jihadists in Syria . According to sky they have footage of a prisoner being executed as well as you tube videos requesting funds for their cause

Then there's the story of Mr Adams . Anyone worried that if he is charged that it would lead to the troubles in NI again . Not that they have totally gone away . And macguiness comments cannot have helped the potential powder keg . These two stories are of more concern to me than clarksons alleged comments . And I say alleged as I haven't heard them and according to the media it's only when you turn the volume to maximum and enhance them then you apparently can hear the offensive word .

He should apologise for this trivial incident and I see that he has - that should be the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned. I think those on here calling for Clarkson to be dismissed may well deserve the 'beige television' that type of thinking will probably bring.

Okay he acts like a idiot at times, just like real Human Being's do, but Top Gear is a huge international success that entertains millions and earns the BBC a small fortune in the process. I can't see the beeb wanting to end that anytime soon.

As Smirking has said, if you don't like him then turn over and watch something else instead.

So it's OK to be racist, sexist, mysoginist etc. etc. as long as it makes money? Strange values.

So it's OK to be racist, sexist, mysoginist etc. etc. as long as it makes money? Strange values.

Success is generally considered to be a good reason to hold down a job, and I don't know that he really is any of the things you claim here. But if you prefer your television sanitised then you can always watch the 'One Show' or any one of a hundred equally bland programmes.

It seems to me that anyone who has ever seen his programmes will know that you take what Jeremy Clarkson says will a pretty sizeable 'pinch of salt'.

lol it wasn't even broadcast FFS! You can't be angar at clarkson just for knowing racist jokes! I know loads of racist jokes + sometimes i might start typing them and then I'll think no that sounds bit racist and i will edit them out, just like clarkson done.

That said, i think Top Gear is a really shit tv show. He should prob be sacked just for that.

That said, i think Top Gear is a really shit tv show. He should prob be sacked just for that.

Careful Bear; Top Gear has many supporters here.

Some posters would even abandon gymkhana lessons to be amongst the sad, wet, middle-class crowd of c**ts that fawn over the presenters' every word.

Careful Bear; Top Gear has many supporters here.

Some posters would even abandon gymkhana lessons to be amongst the sad, wet, middle-class crowd of c**ts that fawn over the presenters' every word.

I never watch without a box of Kleenex to hand.

Trouble is the dopey bint going after him went with a really bizarre one in her last attack on him with the Burma challenge. They built that bridge and the deck when stood at one end slanted left to right, him and Hammond stood there and said there is a slope on that, which 99% of viewers would have taken as it has always been, apparently Slope is a derogatory term in Asia for the lowest caste of people............. But because of there being one of the locals who helped build it walking across at the time it was blown up to be a racist comment.

Hopefully someone will release a dictionary soon of normal English words we are not allowed to use for fear of upsetting someone somewhere in the world. This was recorded but never went to air in reality it's no doubt this woman digging up a nasty little nugget to bolster her case, as she has probably found the Slope avenue she is pursuing has weak foundations.

Success is generally considered to be a good reason to hold down a job, and I don't know that he really is any of the things you claim here. But if you prefer your television sanitised then you can always watch the 'One Show' or any one of a hundred equally bland programmes.

It seems to me that anyone who has ever seen his programmes will know that you take what Jeremy Clarkson says will a pretty sizeable 'pinch of salt'.

Do we really have to choose between racism and The One Show?

its a rhyme that most on here were able to fill in the gaps despite the mumble, why because we grew up when the rhyme could be recited, its like the use of the word as a dogs name, far too over blown by the media and they wonder why people are looking at UKIP!

Absolutely, this 110 million, billion per cent.

Why, oh why, oh why can't we use the 'P' word and 'N' word whenever and wherever we want? Eh? Eh? All because a bunch of people of South Asian or African ethnic origin supposedly find it offensive. Pathetic. They should man up and get over it. Some of my best friends are black and Asian* and I call them Ns and Ps all the time and they just laugh along. They're not offended at all and we all get on like a house on fire. Vote UKIP and we can go back to those halcyon days when you could call a spade a spade and get him to do some menial job which no white people wanted to do.

* I have no friends who are black or Asian

Absolutely, this 110 million, billion per cent.

Why, oh why, oh why can't we use the 'P' word and 'N' word whenever and wherever we want? Eh? Eh? All because a bunch of people of South Asian or African ethnic origin supposedly find it offensive. Pathetic. They should man up and get over it. Some of my best friends are black and Asian* and I call them Ns and Ps all the time and they just laugh along. They're not offended at all and we all get on like a house on fire. Vote UKIP and we can go back to those halcyon days when you could call a spade a spade and get him to do some menial job which no white people wanted to do.

* I have no friends who are black or Asian

Do you ever cut eyeholes in your white pillowcases?

I have listened to his apology and his recounting of what happened. Most of you know that I am fervently anti racist so, for what it's worth, here's my view.

1. I declare my view that Clarkson is a buffoon, likeable to many people. He reminds me of Farage, another buffoon (although a leader of a party with definitely racist content).

2. Why was the take not erased totally? Obviously mischief making at some level. Clarkson should have requested that because he raised the concern.

3. Clarkson is odd, no doubt in my mind but then we're all probably odd in one way or another. I really don't think he was being racist with intent.

4. He just needs to think, a little more deeply, about what he says if he doesn't want to try and ride out these **** storms which inevitably come about when he makes such utterances.

I'm thinking you may of missed the sarcasim.

Pap - I imagine he was being ironic / sarcastic. He is probably one of the last people I would expect to post this as genuine!

Thought it might have been, which is why I asked a question instead of assign a label.

I still want an answer though :)

Not an apologist for him, but

I listened to the clip on the radio this morning - very difficult to make out what he said

He asked for it to be changed

It wasn't broadcast

Obviously someone at the beeb doesn't like him and has leaked the clip maliciously. Imo he is not a racist, he is an massive bell end

I see that the publicity whores, Piers Morgan and Equal Justice Solicitors have jumped onto the band wagon

FWIW I wasnt condoning racism BTW as I find it abhorent.

Was just hacing a moan at those that find it necessary to force their views on others by asking for shows etc to be cancelled just because its not their taste. There are around 900 other channels watch some other sanitised crap.

I also dont watch TopGear

Whilst I can't be too bothered to go and research this story, I'm assuming that he used the word '******'. As some others here have alluded to, it's probably best to at least go and check the 'context' in which he used it before you put him up against the wall and shoot him.

Not an apologist for him, but

I listened to the clip on the radio this morning - very difficult to make out what he said

He asked for it to be changed

It wasn't broadcast

Obviously someone at the beeb doesn't like him and has leaked the clip maliciously. Imo he is not a racist, he is an massive bell end

I see that the publicity whores, Piers Morgan and Equal Justice Solicitors have jumped onto the band wagon

He was angling for some pseudo-controversy, as usual.

Why even use the rhyme otherwise?

To illustrate the agony of choice?

Play with fire. Get burned.

He was angling for some pseudo-controversy, as usual.

Why even use the rhyme otherwise?

To illustrate the agony of choice?

Play with fire. Get burned.

That was exactly the reason the rhyme was used, the cars are the same, same price, built in the same factory. So that was why it was used.

It was ill advised to use the word, but using the word itself is not racist. It's the same as those who use the phrase 'Call a spade a spade'.

I think it shows how well Britain has done in the elimination of racism from every day life that the real racists have to delve so deep into obscurity to find examples to pretend that it is still a real every day problem for normal people.