Am i the only one who thinks the club badge is naff?

OldNick

I like it. It's unique and identifiable immediately by all uk football fans as our badge.

I'm not necessarily against the idea of replacing it, but with what? The previous badge was the city emblem and not directly related to the football club.

Its the best identity we have concerning the Saints, ironically it wa designed in an era not used to being so identity aware, we could learn a lot as since we have lost ours as opposed to enhancing it.

The badge should say something about the area and the City, it does, I love the Saint man.

I like it almost because it's naff. Most updates are either bad or minimal. Ours is interesting at least.

What I really hated were the awful mock ups done on here over the years, I think it was a poster called gecko who made them. I thought they looked naffer than anything else I've seen and far worse than what we have. (Apologies to gecko, it's all a matter of personal taste)

Would be happy to loose the ball and the scarf. Playing football and having supporters are hardly unique to our club.

The arsenal badge evolution was an excellent example of how to modernise.

_1795444_new_arsenal_crest_300.jpg

All in all, I say don't change it because I don't have faith in them to do a good job.

Would be happy to loose the ball and the scarf. Playing football and having supporters are hardly unique to our club.

All in all, I say don't change it because I don't have faith in them to do a good job.

Ours already looks pretty simple if you know what I mean. I'd like to see if anyone can come up with an even more simplified badge?

Really do dislike the modern Arsenal crest, I would look at Crystal Palace as a better example. Keeps everything that made it distinctive while also making it contemporary. The arsenal badge lost too much.

ScreenShot2013-05-29at11.40.36AM_crop_north.png?w=588&h=391&q=75

For a genuine shocker though Fulham badge is along the lines of the Arsenal badge for me.... it lost essentially everything that gave their prior badge character.

I really like the monochromatic version from this season, especially the white one on the away kit.

Unless you are stood 2 feet away it is virtually impossible to see it, but at least it is better than the tacky gold one i suppose.

Keep our present one please.

Its strange that as I prefer it without the border, it looks to much like a picture to me that way.

It depends what the background is imo. Sometimes it can look great, but sometimes 'flat' and 'stuck on'. Framing would make it look more consistent.

I have always felt the club badge is a bit comical and naff, time to change it IMO

I'd agree with this.

The badge has got something for everyone and everything:

Halo – club

Ball – team

Scarf – supporters

Tree – New Forest

Blue wavy lines – Solent and rivers

Rose – Hampshire

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, IMO

I don't know why our badge would have included a 'New Forest' tree, this football club represents my city not something nearby, maybe we could chuck a star and crescent on there too. I'd have thought the tree represented city's parks if anything but it would have been far more significant to have had a ship on it instead, there's nothing people around the world associate more with Southampton than the port. Maybe it should have shown a grungy old docker :p

Personally I'd ditch the lot other than the ball and halo and do something around that.

I'd agree with this.

I don't know why our badge would have included a 'New Forest' tree, this football club represents my city not something nearby, maybe we could chuck a star and crescent on there too. I'd have thought the tree represented city's parks if anything but it would have been far more significant to have had a ship on it instead, there's nothing people around the world associate more with Southampton than the port. Maybe it should have shown a grungy old docker :p

Personally I'd ditch the lot other than the ball and halo and do something around that.

Always had it down as the parks myself...

I seem to recall that the club threw open the new badge design to members of the public, and that the winner appeared on South Today to explain all the different features – pretty sure he said the tree represented the New Forest, but I may be mistaken. As my dad was a welder in a Southampton shipyard, I’d be happy to change the tree for a shipyard worker or docker!

Having always thought how good it was and how those calling for a change were wrong, I have changed my mind and think it looks old fashioned and naff. When looking at what dross has been written here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/index.html I scroll down to see all the crests, and ours (to me at least) looks out of place and a bit infantile.

1 word: Norwich.

I seem to recall that the club threw open the new badge design to members of the public, and that the winner appeared on South Today to explain all the different features – pretty sure he said the tree represented the New Forest, but I may be mistaken. As my dad was a welder in a Southampton shipyard, I’d be happy to change the tree for a shipyard worker or docker!

Yeah, when I mentioned "grungy old docker" I had my old man in mind. Not to mention me grandad, uncles..............proper mushes!

The tree was for us New Forest lads, so leave it alone you urban pikes hands off……!! The badge has been with us all for over 40 years now, bad times, good times, awful times, desperate times, amazing times, rinsed in relegations, cup wins, promotions, administrations the lot. Don't chuck the baby out with the bath water. Get the stripes back and Europe here we come again.

I love the crest part of it and dislike the scarf & halo part but fully understand everyone's attachment to it.

This. Love the crest, dislike the scarf, ball and halo. Much prefer the previous city crest. While Fulham, Norwich and Hull have the worst badges in the Premier League, we aren't that far behind IMO.

1 word: Norwich.

Why? From Wiki

Colours and crest

Norwich City's nickname, "The Canaries", has long influenced the team's colours and crest. Originally, the club was nicknamed the Citizens ("Cits" for short), and played in light blue and white halved shirts,[7] although the halves were inconsistent; "the blue was sometimes on the left hand side of the shirt and sometimes on the right."[61] The earliest known recorded link between the club and canaries, comes in an interview recorded in the Eastern Daily Press with newly appointed manager, John Bowman in April 1905. The paper quotes him saying "Well I knew of the City's existence... I have... heard of the canaries."[3] "This as far as we can tell is the first time that the popular pastime of the day ie... rearing... canaries was linked with Norwich City FC... the club still played in blue and white, and would continue to do so for another two seasons."[3] But the city of Norwich had long connections with canaries owing to its 15th and 16th century links to Flemish weavers who had imported the birds to the Low Countries from the Dutch colonies in the Caribbean.

By February 1907, the nickname Canaries had come more into vogue; thoughts that an FA Cup tie against West Bromwich Albion (nicknamed "Throstles" after a bird) was "a bird -singing contest" were dismissed by the polymath C.B. Fry as "humbug" but Bowman and Fry's colleagues in the national press increasingly referred to the team as Canaries.[62]

City of Norwich Coat of Arms

The following season, to match the nickname, City played for the first time in Canary livery; "yellow shirts with green collars and cuffs. One paper produced the quote 'The Cits are dead but the Canaries are very much alive'."[63] Apart from the obvious colour link, a canary may seem an odd choice; however, many English football clubs have adopted small birds as emblems that symbolise agility and deftness around the field.[64]

While the home colours of yellow and green remain to this day, the away colours have varied since introduction. The away kit for the 2012–13 season is black shirts and shorts.[65]

A simple canary badge was first adopted in 1922.[66] The current club badge consists of a canary resting on a football with a stylised version of the City of Norwich arms in the top left corner.[67] A competition was held to select the badge, with the winning entry designed by local architect Andrew Anderson.

For the club's centenary celebrations in 2002, a special crest was designed. It featured two canaries looking left and right, and a ribbon noting the centenary.

So them having a tweetie bird is no different than us having a halo over a football is it?