Sam Gallagher signs four-year deal

Saint-Armstrong

That's brilliant news well done MP

I like MPs statement he made yesterday on the clubs website as well

“There really is nothing to decide,” he added. “I still have one more year on my contract and I really haven’t spoken about it, I don’t really get it because it hasn’t come from me, it’s come from outside that these rumours are propagated.

“We’re not really distracted by it. We’ve achieved the best season in the Premier League in the history of this football club so I think that translates as not being distracted at all by these rumours.”

Edited by Viking Warrior

What an achievement. Under 18s to Premier League starter in one season is remarkable even by our standards. Excited to see more of this lad in the future.

So, who thinks we can expect a series of contract agreements like we had midway through last season? Hesketh and Gallagher are the first...

His display against arsenal, making their lauded cb pairing look woefully inept gives me real confidence. He stretches teams with his forward runs rather than wanting it to feet all the time, which gives us something different that we need. Does he score goals? BT took ages to find his goal scoring feet and Gallagher seems to have a few similar attributes, but dare I say it more pace and a better touch. He's not in the shaw class, but I get the feeling he might become a fans favourite down the line. I hope that's in the top flight.

His display against arsenal, making their lauded cb pairing look woefully inept gives me real confidence. He stretches teams with his forward runs rather than wanting it to feet all the time, which gives us something different that we need. Does he score goals? BT took ages to find his goal scoring feet and Gallagher seems to have a few similar attributes, but dare I say it more pace and a better touch. He's not in the shaw class, but I get the feeling he might become a fans favourite down the line. I hope that's in the top flight.

I think as a player, Sam is one that we are going to have to be patient with. We've been blessed with the likes of Oxo, Theo, Shaw, Bale etc who just burst in and instantly look like world beaters. Sam isn't quite in that mould and will need some time and support from everyone to help him become a very handy player for us.

I personally don't think he's quite ready as yet for week in-week out at this level, and has been kind of thrust into the first team this year as a consequence of the lack of Osvaldo etc....but it's not a case of writing him off, which I've seen some usual suspects doing.

At the end of the day, academy players don't always break through and instantly take the world by storm - Adam didn't, and look at him now. Patience is needed with young Sam, and at least the club have put their marker down on him and that should give him a hell of a lot of confidence.

Mrs JBS will be happy as being someone with a good eye for football has already observed similarities to Rickie to the point of when they are on the pitch together it's like Father and Son.

Anyone who was at the Arsenal game will have seen that the potential to follow in Rickies footsteps is there, it just needs nurturing, and like Sam has said himself pre season will probably set him up nicely.

Great news

Is it worth also suggesting that, given Sam's recent tragic loss, MP must be like a surrogate father for him? I would think it unlikely that Sam would sign if the father-figure of MP were about to jump ship. Not saying it's impossible, but this to me is a positive sign about MP's future with us too.

Right here's my track record;

Shearer misses too many 1 on 1s to make it big (a few games after his debut)

Lambert will play for England (whilst we were still in League 1)

Blackstock, Best & most definitely McGoldrick are not top flight strikers.

A real mixed bag there, showing I know Jack Shift, but my prediction for Sam is ........ Not a top drawer striker.

Would love the young man to prove me sooooooo wrong, but compared with other youngsters who have come through, I just don't think he will make the same impact.

Great news. He's shown real promise recently; clearly not the finished article, but looks like he's going to be a great option to have around and could be challenging for a starting place if he keeps improving and playing as he has been.

Is it worth also suggesting that, given Sam's recent tragic loss, MP must be like a surrogate father for him? I would think it unlikely that Sam would sign if the father-figure of MP were about to jump ship. Not saying it's impossible, but this to me is a positive sign about MP's future with us too.

We have no idea. But Gallagher isn't like Lallana or Shaw - he doesn't have a long list of potential suitors who'd snap him up if he wanted to leave saints.

Right here's my track record;

Shearer misses too many 1 on 1s to make it big (a few games after his debut)

Lambert will play for England (whilst we were still in League 1)

Blackstock, Best & most definitely McGoldrick are not top flight strikers.

A real mixed bag there, showing I know Jack Shift, but my prediction for Sam is ........ Not a top drawer striker.

Would love the young man to prove me sooooooo wrong, but compared with other youngsters who have come through, I just don't think he will make the same impact.[/quoteE]

You are wrong.

IMO.

good news generally but still need to sign a first team striker in the summer. i don't think sam is at the same level as the likes of shaw/prowsey and will need at least another season or so before being able to make an impact in the first team. for someone his height, he needs to work on his aerial ability to make it an advantage. congrats to Sam nevertheless, feel free to prove me wrong!

I think as a player, Sam is one that we are going to have to be patient with. We've been blessed with the likes of Oxo, Theo, Shaw, Bale etc who just burst in and instantly look like world beaters. Sam isn't quite in that mould and will need some time and support from everyone to help him become a very handy player for us.

I personally don't think he's quite ready as yet for week in-week out at this level, and has been kind of thrust into the first team this year as a consequence of the lack of Osvaldo etc....but it's not a case of writing him off, which I've seen some usual suspects doing.

At the end of the day, academy players don't always break through and instantly take the world by storm - Adam didn't, and look at him now. Patience is needed with young Sam, and at least the club have put their marker down on him and that should give him a hell of a lot of confidence.

Easy to forget that Oxo had a few games under Pardew towards the end of the first League 1 season and didn't (to me at least) give any indication that he would step up in the way that he did. Remember all the frustration expressed on here when we didn't manage to sign Antonio permanently?

Here's hoping that a proper pre-season as part of the first team will give Sam the chance to really develop.

Easy to forget that Oxo had a few games under Pardew towards the end of the first League 1 season and didn't (to me at least) give any indication that he would step up in the way that he did. Remember all the frustration expressed on here when we didn't manage to sign Antonio permanently?

Here's hoping that a proper pre-season as part of the first team will give Sam the chance to really develop.

Came on as a sub against Huddersfield for his debut, I believe. Looked the real deal I felt, pacey, quick, attacked players. Not sure he featured after that though, maybe a few mins on the last day I seem to remember?

He kicked on in pre-season though, but prior to that - you're right, it was all about flaming bloody Antonio and how he is the next Messi!

Easy to forget that Oxo had a few games under Pardew towards the end of the first League 1 season and didn't (to me at least) give any indication that he would step up in the way that he did.

Really? I thought you could see immediately that he had it.

Me too. I remember him playing some neat, first time cushioned passes in tight areas that immediately showed the talent and awareness he had at such a young age. That was before he had skinned a full back with the type of pace and skill that excited everyone so much in Walcott's first few games.

Very pleased for Gallagher, looking forward to seeing him develop into a regular Premier League starter over the coming seasons.

Well done and good luck to the lad. I remember when I first saw JWP and didn't think he had what it takes, but he proved me wrong and he's shown he has skills others in the team do not possess. I truly hope that Sam takes everything from the summer that he needs to equip him for next season - unfortunately to date I have been very underwhelmed with what I've seen, but who knows it's going to be a long summer.

I've always thought it's quite tricky to judge a young powerful striker when they are only a teenager. Normally takes them longer to mature.

That's what I was thinking: they'll have been keeping a close eye on his muscular-skeletal development as he might be a later developer even though or because he's so tall. I watched the video and had to smile at the under-18 footage as he looked so young: he still does, but it was noticeable that he's changed.

A pre-season with the first team and the experience of this year will all stand him in good stead, and I think he could end up being quite a handful for defences, and he's got a bit of pace too.

Obviously delighted for him. In terms of how well / quickly he can develop, I'm a bit torn. Watching him warm up pre matches some of his finishing has been technically excellent, but he's yet to look much of a threat in games.

Obviously as a striker a lot is to do with confidence so pre season will be very important. Fortunately for him, with j rod inured and lambert likely to get an extended holiday after the World Cup, he could be pretty much our only striker for part of pre season so should get plenty of opportunity to play, gain confidence, and hopefully score a few goals. It might work out really well for him.

Whatever happens, I wish him the best of luck.

Obviously delighted for him. In terms of how well / quickly he can develop, I'm a bit torn. Watching him warm up pre matches some of his finishing has been technically excellent, but he's yet to look much of a threat in games.

Obviously as a striker a lot is to do with confidence so pre season will be very important. Fortunately for him, with j rod inured and lambert likely to get an extended holiday after the World Cup, he could be pretty much our only striker for part of pre season so should get plenty of opportunity to play, gain confidence, and hopefully score a few goals. It might work out really well for him.

Whatever happens, I wish him the best of luck.

He's had chances in most of his games and scored two goals. Take one or two of those chances better and we'd all be drooling. His movement is very good and he gets himself into good positions

He's had chances in most of his games and scored two goals. Take one or two of those chances better and we'd all be drooling. His movement is very good and he gets himself into good positions

Yep, and when he grows in to his body he will be a beast.

And I am a very good judge. When I first saw Bale I predicted he would end up at centre back.

Came on as a sub against Huddersfield for his debut, I believe. Looked the real deal I felt, pacey, quick, attacked players. Not sure he featured after that though, maybe a few mins on the last day I seem to remember?

He kicked on in pre-season though, but prior to that - you're right, it was all about flaming bloody Antonio and how he is the next Messi!

I just don't think I noticed him that much. I was probably busy moaning about Pardew.

I'm inclined to trust you two's judgement on a player. I certainly don't think I expected him to become the player he was in our promotion season. But then I found it amazing how much he seemed to improve with each game.

Still, I'm really interested in seeing how the 2014/15 season Sam Gallagher shapes up.