The Wii U thread

pap

With all the recent fanfare surrounding the launch of the PS4 and XBox One, Nintendo's Wii U has been somewhat overlooked in recent months, something of a shame given the fact that it probably has the best games for any console right now.

You might feel a bit short-changed if you're after a top class FPS or beat-em-up, but with the recent release of Mario Kart 8, it's just got the best racing game on any platform.

[video=youtube;941EKl-AYRM]

I buy Nintendo hardware every generation, knowing that I'll only ever buy 5 or 6 games for each machine, but also knowing that there's likely nothing that'll touch them in terms of quality and wide appeal. Anyone already got a Wii U or thinking of getting one?

I haven't but would love one.

We have one in the office, and it's great. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of games for it. But, those I have played I really like. It's less gimmicky than the original Wii (which still had some great games).

And yes, Mario Kart 8 is bloomin' brilliant.

I haven't but would love one.

We have one in the office, and it's great. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of games for it. But, those I have played I really like. It's less gimmicky than the original Wii (which still had some great games).

And yes, Mario Kart 8 is bloomin' brilliant.

We got ours shortly after launch. Even then, didn't really have too many complaints about the launch titles - and I knew that MK would be on the way.

Interestingly, Nintendo are running a promotion for Mario Kart. If you register your copy on Club Nintendo, they'll shout you a free game. I got Pikmin 3 with my copy of MK; another fantastic game.

We got ours shortly after launch. Even then, didn't really have too many complaints about the launch titles - and I knew that MK would be on the way.

Interestingly, Nintendo are running a promotion for Mario Kart. If you register your copy on Club Nintendo, they'll shout you a free game. I got Pikmin 3 with my copy of MK; another fantastic game.

I bought a Wii U for my kids at christmas, but I admit I love playing on it too. I've always loved the Mario games and now so do they. They are very creative games that encourage the imagination. Mario Kart was a must and when it came out last week I bought it for the Kids straight away ;) Its shame Nintendo messed up the battle mode by not having proper battle arenas on it but the racing on the game is near perfect.

Edited by Saint J 77

I bought a Wii U for my kids at christmas, but I admit I love playing on it too. I've always loved the Mario games and now so do they. They are very creative games that encourage the imagination. Mario Kart was a must and when it came out last week I bought it for the Kids straight away ;) Its shame Nintendo messed up the battle mode on by not having proper battle arenas on it but the racing on the game is near perfect.

That battle mode on race tracks is one of the most baffling game design decisions I have seen in a long time. That's coming from some whose job revolves around playing games.

That battle mode on race tracks is one of the most baffling game design decisions I have seen in a long time. That's coming from some whose job revolves around playing games.

It seems like they made the lazy decision. They obviously could not be bothered to spend any time designing a few decent arenas for battle mode. I would like to think they could quickly make 4 arenas based on the original battle arenas from the SNES game. Then make the available as some DLC. I doubt they will though.

So you are a games tester then Kelv?

Edited by Saint J 77

Something like that.

I work for a games company, my job is to keep track of what is going on in the market. What's popular, what's making money, what's doing new/interesting things etc. So usually the best way is to play games.

I'm mostly concerned with casual games, but it's still all design. I obviously do other things, lots of spreadsheets and presentations etc, but yeah, it usually either leads to playing games, or giving presentations on games I have played.

Having CEO's worth millions come up to you and ask you to play game x, or y is still quite odd. Been doing it 2 years now.

• 3 months later...

Wii U is a great console and we have had one since launch as the kids love Mario.

Mario Kart 8 is just fantastic , to be honest the game I'm looking forward to most is Super Smash Bros - IMO the best game on the wii - it was the single most played game in our house, so much to do

An overlooked game but one we had massive fun playing was the Lego cop game - Grand theft Lego , very funny in places to