Schneiderlin Transfer Rumours

Saint-Armstrong

He will stay if the champions league positions include us I am fairly sure. BTW Did anyone notice the extent of his celebration with Shane at Stoke and again last weekend?

Ditto TA and Bertrand. A lot easier to stay at a club where you feel happy if you also happen to be hosting Giants of Europe such as, err, Apoel Nicosia and PFC Ludogorets Razgrad. But it remains to be seen if Koeman thinks that Cork can cut the mustard in the Champions League (if we are to qualify). I wonder if Saints fans think he can?

He's only saying what most of us know anyway.

I'm of the opinion that JWP is being groomed as the replacement but as usual, I'm likely to be wrong.

I expect Morgan to be off next summer; like many, I hope it's to an overseas club like PSG, Real Madrid, Inter Milan. With respect to JWP, I would be very worried if he is seen as the direct replacement for MS; he certainly doesn't have the qualities in the short term and I have my doubts about him developing into a top class mid-fielder.

I'm surprised and disappointed that he wasn't much more guarded in his comments - especially when he could so easily have deflected the question with some good words about Saints' potential this year.

Responding like that at the start of November makes me fear that he hasn't ruled out the possibility of a move in the January window.

If there's one player who could transform several of the big boys for the second half of the season, it has to be Schneiderlin. And I'm sure he knows it.

I'm surprised and disappointed that he wasn't much more guarded in his comments - especially when he could so easily have deflected the question with some good words about Saints' potential this year.

Responding like that at the start of November makes me fear that he hasn't ruled out the possibility of a move in the January window.

If there's one player who could transform several of the big boys for the second half of the season, it has to be Schneiderlin. And I'm sure he knows it.

It seemed pretty clear to me that he was talking about moving next summer and not in January.

I realize that, but my point was why say it now when he certainly didn't need to, and when saying it could fuel unhelpful media speculation?

He might have thought he was expressing confidence that we could make the champions league and indicating that he would want to stay if we did. But I don't know.

No-one is indispensable. That much we have learned this Autumn.

If he goes next July, then so be it. We will have an equal calibre replacement in the wings, of that I am certain. The club is so meticulous in it's preparations nowadays and we will have had a year to prepare.

Could even be Barcelona, Real, PSG or Bayern and not just Prem so called "Big Clubs"!

And it did mention "one day" not "immediately".

The article states he will review his options at the end of the season too, so if Saints are in the CL, I would not bet against him staying.

At the end of his career does he want to say, 'I spent 10 years at Southampton, making them a team that got to play Champions League football regularly' or does he want to say 'I spent a number of happy years playing at Southampton, learning my trade and developing my skills before moving on and winning a number of national leagues and the Champions League with Barcelona, Bayern Munich and then PSG etc etc'. He should have a number of those shirts on his wall at the end of his career with his name on them.

Much as we'd love him to stay, he's really outgrown us and he should move on...to a proper big club, not Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs.

If this summer has taught us anything it is that a club is bigger than its star players and that we have a system in place to survive such departures. Take the big money he will be worth in the summer and invest it in another hungry young thing eager to prove himself at a club that has shown they will be given a chance.

Maybe one day we'll be able to keep such players, but today is not that day.

At the end of his career does he want to say, 'I spent 10 years at Southampton, making them a team that got to play Champions League football regularly' or does he want to say 'I spent a number of happy years playing at Southampton, learning my trade and developing my skills before moving on and winning a number of national leagues and the Champions League with Barcelona, Bayern Munich and then PSG etc etc'. He should have a number of those shirts on his wall at the end of his career with his name on them.

Much as we'd love him to stay, he's really outgrown us and he should move on...to a proper big club, not Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs.

If this summer has taught us anything it is that a club is bigger than its star players and that we have a system in place to survive such departures. Take the big money he will be worth in the summer and invest it in another hungry young thing eager to prove himself at a club that has shown they will be given a chance.

Maybe one day we'll be able to keep such players, but today is not that day.

Can't argue with any of that Steel City. I feel the same way. Tremendous servant to the club. Interesting decision for him if somehow we do make it to the CL spots, but in all likelihood, he'll be off at the end of the season. Much rather it happen then than when the "firesale" was in full swing.

I've seen the actual interview, he said nothing about anything much, just that all remained to be seen next summer, nothing ruled out, nothing ruled in.

This is all he said on the subject.

Pensez-vous que votre progression passera par un départ vers un grand club?

Je viens d'avoir 25 ans, j'ai franchi un cap. Une carrière passe vite et j'ai envie de jouer dans un grand club. Aujourd'hui je suis à Southampton, on est 2e de Premier League, ça se passe bien. On verra bien à la fin de la saison ce qui va se passer, si on est toujours dans la zone de La Ligue des champions, et je ferai des choix, je verrai avec mon club.»

AFP

Can't argue with any of that Steel City. I feel the same way. Tremendous servant to the club. Interesting decision for him if somehow we do make it to the CL spots, but in all likelihood, he'll be off at the end of the season. Much rather it happen then than when the "firesale" was in full swing.

Exactly, as long as he doesn't go to liverpool or spurs. He has my blessing after giving it one more year at least.

Exactly, as long as he doesn't go to liverpool or spurs. He has my blessing after giving it one more year at least.

This.

Other clubs seem to be able to chose not to sell to a direct rival so we should exercise the same right. I know it depends who comes in for him and he will have a major say in it of course but given the choice I would rather he went abroad. However, he may need to play CL football for a season or two to make that leap which sadly means he'll probably go to Arsenal. Bloody Arsenal again FFS

EDIT: Forgot to add he will get my full appreciation for his years of service and for sticking around this season. He could so eaily of kicked-off and done a Lovren but he was pursuaded otherwise and has played out of his skin every minute he;s played. A total professional who in my mind has more than redeemed himself after that tweet.

Edited by jasonb

This.

Other clubs seem to be able to chose not to sell to a direct rival so we should exercise the same right. I know it depends who comes in for him and he will have a major say in it of course but given the choice I would rather he went abroad. However, he may need to play CL football for a season or two to make that leap which sadly means he'll probably go to Arsenal. Bloody Arsenal again FFS

EDIT: Forgot to add he will get my full appreciation for his years of service and for sticking around this season. He could so eaily of kicked-off and done a Lovren but he was pursuaded otherwise and has played out of his skin every minute he;s played. A total professional who in my mind has more than redeemed himself after that tweet.

Agree he certainly has - lets enjoy his contribution for the remainder of this season just in case it's his last for us, but if we do qualify for the CL, do not be surprised if he hangs around for another season.

Agree he certainly has - lets enjoy his contribution for the remainder of this season just in case it's his last for us, but if we do qualify for the CL, do not be surprised if he hangs around for another season.

I think he would be crazy not to. He would get a lot more champions league playing time with us than elsewhere. And he would get a transfer to a better team in 2016.

A "servant" who is on money most people can only dream about, and who was only prevented from flouncing off in the summer by the club playing hardball. And now he's making noises about leaving again, even with things going as well as they are. He should just be a professional and keep his mouth shut. The phrase "servant to the club" is obsolete, certainly when it comes to playing staff.

There are no issues here at all. Quite sensibly Morgan will assess the situation nearer the time. Real problem is that interviewers almost to a man/ woman ask leading questions trapping footballers into talking about whatever subject the interviewer wants to make mischief from.

Example: "Is it still your ambition to play for one of the BIG clubs in European competition in the future?"

Saints very own interviewer is as guilty as anybody on with such questions

Example: "Another good win today Ronald, how proud of you of your players for grinding out such a good result and of course another clean sheet?"

Is that even a question?

Is Ron then likely to say "No, they are a bunch of ******* for not sewing it before half-time."? Of course not he's trapped into a positive answer just like Morgan has been.

I expect Morgan to be off next summer; like many, I hope it's to an overseas club like PSG, Real Madrid, Inter Milan. With respect to JWP, I would be very worried if he is seen as the direct replacement for MS; he certainly doesn't have the qualities in the short term and I have my doubts about him developing into a top class mid-fielder.

Plenty said exactly the same about MS when he was JWP's age. In fact, most on this board wrote MS off very early. JWP is what, 19-20? JWP is ahead of where MS was at the same age. He'll be a world class centre midfielder, I have no doubt whatsoever about that.

A "servant" who is on money most people can only dream about, and who was only prevented from flouncing off in the summer by the club playing hardball. And now he's making noises about leaving again, even with things going as well as they are. He should just be a professional and keep his mouth shut. The phrase "servant to the club" is obsolete, certainly when it comes to playing staff.

Fine, great employee for the club then.

That point conceded, he was asked a direct question by a journalist. It's not like he's repeating his tweet, informing his people to put stories in the press or getting his wife to whine on his behalf. The professional thing to do is answer the question posed. Now what would you prefer? Badge-kissing bollócks and bullshít, or the hedged bet approach he took?

Keeping your mouth shut during an interview sort of defeats the purpose.

Said just after the transfer window closed that it made sense for him to sign a new contract. Chuck a release clause in for £25m-£30m and everyone's happy.

Doesn't his contract still have three years left on it at the end of this season? Furthermore I'd be surprised if there was a 'gentleman's agreement' as we told him he wasn't going, full stop. He obviously wasn't going to get away by striking and would lose his place in the France squad if he didn't play. Nothing has changed there from the club's point of view and apart from an alleged poor bid from Spurs nobody bid. He is now worth a lot more to us due to our success and it will take well north of £30m to even make us blink.

It will still take a bidder to shift him. What denotes a big club? paying stupid money or Champions League football. Unless Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool get their finger out it would only be about the money offered by a desperate club paying another inflated transfer fee. If he goes we will take somebody's pants down again.

Doesn't his contract still have three years left on it at the end of this season? Furthermore I'd be surprised if there was a 'gentleman's agreement' as we told him he wasn't going, full stop. He obviously wasn't going to get away by striking and would lose his place in the France squad if he didn't play. Nothing has changed there from the club's point of view and apart from an alleged poor bid from Spurs nobody bid. He is now worth a lot more to us due to our success and it will take well north of £30m to even make us blink.

It will still take a bidder to shift him. What denotes a big club? paying stupid money or Champions League football. Unless Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool get their finger out it would only be about the money offered by a desperate club paying another inflated transfer fee. If he goes we will take somebody's pants down again.

2 years come June 2015

Even if we were in the CL, he'd still want a 'big club'. Same as Diego Costa, a CL final isn't enough because of the big brand clubs. Becoming one of those would take a decade or more of success.

Just have to keep getting good prices and reinvesting. Losing him next summer isn't the main worry, it's how we deal with other players reaction to it. Don't want another snowball effect with tadic, wanyama, Clyne all following him. If only Morgan left we already have JWP and reed who will need games at some point and have talent.

TBF I'd be shocked if we hold on to more than one of those three next season weather Morgan leaves or not.....

we cant keep on replacing every summer. The only way to stem the flow is CL football, 45K plus attendance plus what every big club has, ie a song that is longer than one verse. Why can't we sing at least 3 different verses of oh when the Saints. In addition to this we need to adopt Sailing by rod Stuart. This was a big hit in Holland and as our manager has said Southampton is for him about football, the dockyards and the boats. Everyone knows the words, the lyrics will create a feel good goose bump atmosphere and if we start this season we can perfect it for Europe next year.

A new interview which is less dramatic on him leaving. He's really happy at the club. It's more that he'll see at the end of the season how things finish, and with the club.

http://www.fff.fr/actualites/144484-553021-schneiderlin-jai-franchi-un-cap

French Football Federation >

Schneiderlin "I've turned a corner"

Schneiderlin : "J'ai franchi un cap"

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 5:45 p.m. -

Without even considered a "regular" selection, Morgan Schneiderlin said Tuesday that his participation in the 2014 World Cup had "liberated".

Aborted departure in the offseason Southampton you he pushed to do more and do one of the reasons for your good start?

"Maybe. After I had always wanted to do a big season, especially after my appointment for the World Cup. I knew there would be a lot more expectations about me that looks are turned to me . This little drama has encouraged me to work harder and get better. I'm also lucky to be in a team that is doing well. "

How is it that Southampton is second in the Premier League and you feel like your progress despite aborted start?

"If someone had told me at the end of the transfer window that Southampton would be second, I do not have believed and I guess for you outside is even more surprising. Even though we lost a lot of world, the club has recruited well. A new coach came up with a new philosophy. We always have this desire to play ball, we have a strong team that cash few goals and playing good football. Personally, I 'm has to work even harder to become even better. "

Is it true that you have been courted by the English Federation at a time?

"I did all the youth teams in France, but I've never had contact with the Football Association. It is the press who spoke in England, but in my head, I never wanted to change his nationality. My goal has always been to wear the blue jersey and play for France. "

Do you feel now as a regular in the France team?

"I can not consider myself a regular, it's only been 3-4 months. This changes compared to my first choice, my attitude changed. I know people, I'm more comfortable. But I have to prove each selection and each weekend club that I deserve to be Team of France. They put me at ease from the start, there is more confidence, I know better players. Play with them , know their automation, it helps me be more efficient in the field. "

Do not you want to let you more Blue?

"I can do more but it does not take any more than I forget my playing style. I'm not a player who will dribble players 3-4, 5-6 wheels and make the ball down. I'm a player sober, I like everything passes movements. I can go into the box but the game and the opportunities that will lead me to do this. I'll try to release a little more when next game. I know my performance is okay but I can do better. "

Do you fear for your future selection, this long period that separates you from the Euro 2016?

"It's not a fear but a desire to every weekend, every game, every practice, to give the best of myself and show it to the coach. The coach will make system changes, will bring new players and this is quite normal and legitimate, but I do not put extra pressure me. "

L'Equipe de France you she helped advance?

"I feel I have progressed, I feel it every day. I am a worker, so I work a lot in training but having played the World Cup psychologically liberated me and gave me confidence in myself and I feel in the club. "

Do you think that your progress will go through a start to a big club?

"I just turned 25, I turned a corner. A career passes quickly and I want to play in a big club. Today I am in Southampton, we are second in the Premier League, it happens well. We'll see at the end of the season what will happen if we are still in the area of ​​the Champions League, and I will make the choice, I will see with my club. "

- See more at: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=2&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&tl=en&u=http://www.fff.fr/actualites/144484-553021-schneiderlin-jai-franchi-un-cap&usg=ALkJrhjKNEfJafMcDGjJITOGX8SCzBvuGg#sthash.313h82xL.dpuf

Imagine matic and Schneiderlin as a central midfield platform.

That would be vastly inferior to Matic and Fabregas.

Morgan's a great player but he really isn't the world beater some of our fans make him out to be. He wouldn't get close to the Real Madrid or Barcelona teams.

Morgan's a great player but he really isn't the world beater some of our fans make him out to be. He wouldn't get close to the Real Madrid or Barcelona teams.

Cant agree. a midfield of Morgan, Matic and Fabregas would be unbelievable, I personally believe you're underestimating him, but I respect your opinion.

Believe me in a defensive midfield role, Schneiderlin could slot in to ANY club in the world.

Not for me. £30m is a good price for the buying club IMO for a complete central midfielder at 25 who could play for the very best clubs in the world. I appreciate team players in that position don't fetch the highest prices but he's an unbelievably consistent player. If I were manager at man utd, city, Chelsea, arsenal, Liverpool or even Barcelona, he'd be right at the top of my list. Imagine matic and Schneiderlin as a central midfield platform.

I think ink he was hugely underestimated in the summer, the offer from spurs was insulting, and the fact only spurs were interested was far more insulting.

Cant disagree with you at all here, Im really at a loss at how no other club other than Spurs have showed any firm interest in the lad, and even more that Spurs attempted to get him on the cheap.

For me he is ready made for Arsenal, Spurs, Utd and Liverpool. Exactly what they need right now. He is exceptional, easily our best player, one of the best I have ever seen in a saints shirt

I wouldnt play Morgan and Matic together necessarily but he is certainly a mile better than you believe. Could fit into almost every club in the world

Cant agree. a midfield of Morgan, Matic and Fabregas would be unbelievable, I personally believe you're underestimating him, but I respect your opinion.

It would be, but a midfield of Matic and Fabregas does the same job better and frees another player to attack. We know that Schneiderlin doesn't have Fabregas's goalscoring ability or eye for the killer pass and Matic practically does the job of two men single-handedly. Morgan's in with the best of the rest but not touching that top bracket in which Matic is probably the Premier League's only representative. In our league he would only significantly improve the top teams with midfield deficiencies - Spurs, Arsenal and Manchester United.

I wouldnt play Morgan and Matic together necessarily but he is certainly a mile better than you believe. Could fit into almost every club in the world

This is the thing - I'm sure he could 'fit in' to almost any side but the best of the best lift their teams and are able to set the tempo and style of games from first whistle to last. Players like Alonso, Pirlo, Kroos and Sergio Busquets do that and Schneiderlin doesn't, even with a second defensive midfield partner.

Edited by DuncanRG

There's another interesting article on L'Equipe today about underated players of which Morgan is deemed as one, anyway there's an interesting line

in it which states that Saints knocked back an offer from Arsenal in August for 34 million€. Don't ask me where they get that from but it's certainly a new information, true or untrue, L'Equipe rarely writes baseless crap but whether they've got that right or not I just couldn't say.