Saints sign Pelle - Official

offix

In Dutch Paper De Telegraaf:

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/buitenlands/22793985/__Koeman_meldt_zich_voor_Pelle__.html

ROTTERDAM -

Southampton heeft zich bij Feyenoord gemeld voor spits Graziano Pelle. De nieuwe club van Ronald Koeman heeft de directie van de stadionclub officieel op de hoogte gesteld van de interesse in de Italiaan.

Feyenoord zal waarschijnlijk de hoofdprijs vragen voor Pelle. Technisch directeur Martin van Geel weet dat Southampton na de verkoop van Lambert, Luke Shaw en het aanstaande vertrek van Adam Lallana naar Liverpool genoeg geld te spenderen heeft.

Bovendien loopt het contract van Pelle nog door tot 2017.

Translation:

Southampton has approached Feijenoord about forward Graziano Pelle. Ronald Koeman’s new club has officially informed the board of Feijenoord of their interest in the Italian player.

Feijenoord will likely ask a high price for Pelle. Technical Director Martin van Geel knows that Southampton has plenty of money to spend after the sale of Lambert, Luke Shaw, and the departure of Adam Lallana to Liverpool. In addition, Pelle’s contact runs through 2017.

yes but Koeman who wants Pelle wasn't our manager when Lambert left.

But if we have to sell to raise transfer funds, Rickie's fee is at best half of what Pelle will cost.

Yes, fair comments. You are both right. Time for bed and to leave this forum alone until we get some good news methinks.

So why didn't we make an official approach before players were sold?[/QUOTE]

Katharina didn't have the money then did she

Where do you think Koeman's transfer kitty was coming from. It certainly isn't her. We now have to be self sufficient don't forget

So, if we want a player, we have to sell a player.

"The Katharina Way" Simples

Katharina didn't have the money then did she

Where do you think Koeman's transfer kitty was coming from. It certainly isn't her. We now have to be self sufficient don't forget

So, if we want a player, we have to sell a player.

"The Katharina Way" Simples

If that is the case, I'm struggling to see the issue with it.

chicken & egg situation. No players leaving - no need for Pelle?

I think we all knew at the end of last season that we needed to bring in more attacking players, regardless of anybody leaving. It became even more important when JRod for injured.

Would explain why the Lallana deal is being delayed until the new week. Could probably have gone through yesterday, but it's a bit of a PR disaster to sell 2 of your stars on the same and with no incomings.

I'd rather hear the money hadn't been spent yet then thrown away on a crap signing

Seems inevitable. I have reservations but can see why he's coming in, the manager likes him, he's not that expensive, good build for this league and who knows. With current options he's a vast improvement! He and Ings coming in would give us nice options up front I think. Still think we'd need another attacker, wide man, bit of pace and flair.

Nathan Dyer or Nathan Redmond wouldn't be bad IMO or maybe Saido Berahino at West brom

High risk - temperamental Italian who scores in the Dutch league and 29 years old in a couple of weeks.. hope RK knows what he's doing.

Van Persie does ok for his age. Rickie 3 years older did ok. Ability may be worthy of worry but not his age

High risk - temperamental Italian who scores in the Dutch league and 29 years old in a couple of weeks.. hope RK knows what he's doing.

****s sake... Who do you think we're going to be buying, ****ing Messi. Pelle looks like a very decent replacement for Lambert. Koeman knows him and has worked with him before, he's a proven goalscorer and several years younger than the player he's replacing. What's the problem here. It seems that people just want to complain about anything.

****s sake... Who do you think we're going to be buying, ****ing Messi. Pelle looks like a very decent replacement for Lambert. Koeman knows him and has worked with him before, he's a proven goalscorer and several years younger than the player he's replacing. What's the problem here. It seems that people just want to complain about anything.

No need for an Emotional rant... no complaint either, we have had a bad experience with Pablo so hopefully RK can manage him better.

We are all allowed to have opinions without getting stupid responses like yours.

I don't think it's that big an ask to want at least one decent signing considering what's happening at the club

Rather a subjective subject though...........or would you like the club to phone you and ask for your list of acceptable players. Clearly Koeman rates him and thinks he can do a job which makes him a decent signing in my eyes.

Rather a subjective subject though...........or would you like the club to phone you and ask for your list of acceptable players. Clearly Koeman rates him and thinks he can do a job which makes him a decent signing in my eyes.

I mean a marquee signing, the club needs it. If we announced we'd signed Lukaku the same day as we sold Shaw and Lallana I'd be over the moon, if it's pelle it just confirms the clubs lack of ambition now.

No need for an Emotional rant... no complaint either, we have had a bad experience with Pablo so hopefully RK can manage him better.

We are all allowed to have opinions without getting stupid responses like yours.

Of course you're allowed an opinion but it might be nice to know who you think this perfect player is that you think we should be signing. We're talking about a proven goalscorer here that has played under our new manager. I'm not sure what further endorsement of him you want. Unfortunately we're not going to be buying proven premier league goalscorers so Pelle seems like a good bet to me. Not really sure what more you want.

How many times have you seen him play? Must be a lot for such a strong opinion.

I judge strikers almost solely on their goal scoring record. His is mediocre at best and he doesn't appear to offer any real pace or amazing technical ability. I've no problem with signing him for 4/5mill but to use up a decent chunk of money when things are apparently tighter at the club now, would be worrying

I judge strikers almost solely on their goal scoring record. His is mediocre at best and he doesn't appear to offer any real pace or amazing technical ability. I've no problem with signing him for 4/5mill but to use up a decent chunk of money when things are apparently tighter at the club now, would be worrying

Totally agree, 50 goals in 57 games in the last 2 seasons is simply horrific.

Don't give me the bull**** that the dutch league doesn't count either. There have been equally as many brilliant additions from that league as there have been dudds. If as you say, you are judging him solely on goal scoring, then your opinion that he's **** is incredibly misguided, and quite frankly, dumb.

I judge strikers almost solely on their goal scoring record. His is mediocre at best.

Is it?

50 goals in 57 games for Feyenoord suggests he is doing something very well even if the league isn't great. Perhaps he'll be an Alfonso Alves and flop, but lots of very good players have also come out of the Dutch league and he is currently one of the best in that league.

He doesn't appear to offer any real pace or amazing technical ability.

He is a Lambert replacement, we don't need him to have immense pace. He does however look to be faster and more agile than Lambert (can you imagine Lambert doing overheads?) and technically looks very adept in this "highlights" package...

Well there you are then.. You clearly don't know much about him as he scored 23 goals in 28 games for Feyenoord last season. If you judge strikers based on their goal scoring ability it sounds like he's a shoe in.

Would explain why the Lallana deal is being delayed until the new week. Could probably have gone through yesterday, but it's a bit of a PR disaster to sell 2 of your stars on the same and with no incomings.

Can see RK bringing in that winger who was mentioned this week; he and Pelle would be a good pairing. S-Clarke - what was his name again?

Can see RK bringing in that winger who was mentioned this week; he and Pelle would be a good pairing. S-Clarke - what was his name again?

Dusan Tadic. Very talented attacking player, plays left, right or central.

The Lallana replacement.

Is it?

50 goals in 57 games for Feyenoord suggests he is doing something very well even if the league isn't great. Perhaps he'll be an Alfonso Alves and flop, but lots of very good players have also come out of the Dutch league and he is currently one of the best in that league.

He is a Lambert replacement, we don't need him to have immense pace. He does however look to be faster and more agile than Lambert (can you imagine Lambert doing overheads?) and technically looks very adept in this "highlights" package...

Right and what about the rest of his career? Over te course of his career, which is a more sensible way to judge his goal scoring ability, his record is mediocre at best. We don't need a Lambert replacement, he was awfully suited to our system, assuming it's staying the same of course

I mean a marquee signing, the club needs it. If we announced we'd signed Lukaku the same day as we sold Shaw and Lallana I'd be over the moon, if it's pelle it just confirms the clubs lack of ambition now.

Would rather have pelle than lukaka any day.

Right and what about the rest of his career? Over te course of his career, which is a more sensible way to judge his goal scoring ability, his record is mediocre at best.

I'd say the last two years of someone's career is more relevant. Should we judge Rickie Lambert on only scoring 13 League One goals from 46 games in 2007/08 at the age of 26?

We don't need a Lambert replacement, he was awfully suited to our system, assuming it's staying the same of course

We've sold Lambert, so I'd say we do need a Lambert replacement. He worked very well in Pochettino's system, hence the team finishing 8th and him getting a large number of goals and assists. if Koeman plays in a similar style Pelle appears to be a very good replacement from the little I've seen and read about him. I'm sure Koeman knows how to get the best out of him, as 50 goals in 57 games highlights.

Got to agree though. Lukaku runs hot and cold. Sometimes he's brilliant sometimes he's completely hopeless. I'd be disappointed if he was a marquee signing.

but he consistently scores lots of prem goals. he is proven, despite his 'rawness'