Striker Situation

Saint Charlie

How many do people think we need? Clearly will be signing forwards soon.

Current set of strikers is an odd bunch...

Gallagher - raw, should be development squad/sometime sub - ideally 4th choice

Osvaldo - mental and still on holiday, clearing never playing for us again

Mayuka - jury very much out

Sharp - not good enough

Jay - out til probably Christmas, but obviously quality

When Reed said at the start of the summer that we had targets and were moving on them, does that still stand? Would have thought striker was a major priority, especially when Lambert went (quite a while ago now).

The argument that other clubs haven't bought many players is fine, but I can't think of any sides with fewer, or less proven PL strikers than we currently have.

IMO need two in quite quickly, over the next couple of weeks - so lets hope that happens. Must be difficult for the team to train properly, or the players to develop understandings seeing as probably only Gallagher will feature this season, and not as a first choice.

if we sell ossie, we will need two

Obviously will.

As long as the ones we bring in are decent, I think this might be ok:

1. New signing

2. New signing

3. Gallagher

4. Mayuka

Then Jay Rod to come back, although he is often best from the wide position.

Sharp will end up being loaned out I think.

Assuming we play with a 'front four' I can see the need for two more strikers and a wide ish right sided player. Then we have this set;

Tadic

JRod

Gallagher

Ramirez

New Striker - Ings?

New Striker - Pelle?

Right side - Redmond?

That's a good group.

Osvaldo to go of course. Mayuka may be better now and can add some pace but we will see.

Two is the min requirement though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will need two whether we play Osvaldo or not. Jay Rod will be a big boost, but as mentioned, he is better from out wide. Sharp will just run his contract out I think, he has been unspectacular when on loan and anyone who thinks that he would be decent in the Prem (I've seen it suggested!) needs their head checked.

If we are in for Pellé then he could be a decent option, although I wouldn't want to rely on someone who has only ever been good for one club. Ings would be a good signing, I think, but Burnley's reluctance to sell him on top of the fact that they don't actually need to could make his acquisition both pricey and difficult.

Monk suggesting that we have other targets in mind is a comforting thought on the matter as neither Gallagher or Mayuka are good enough to lead the line for a Premiership team (yet, in the case of Gallagher, and ever in the case of Mayuka, I suspect.)

Will be interesting who we are linked with and who we get. I think this will be the position that we spend most money on. Where are the best leagues to buy strikers from? Soldado was good in La Liga but couldn't cut it in the Prem, likewise Osvaldo. And most big name strikers who should guarantee goals usually come for high prices, and thus have higher expectations, which could become a factor if they are not immediately successful.

I wonder if we were ever really in for Damiao? I think he would have been a quality addition, but see no reason why he would have, or would now come to us.

Would we go in for someone like Wissam Ben Yedder from Toulouse? Is pretty young and scored as many as Cavani last year, but is not such a big name as to command a massive fee?

Am looking forward to seeing who we get...

Why would Damiao have been good? He hasn't got a great record and failed to make the brazil squad ahead of fred and jo. The record of players from the brazilian league coming here isn't exactly great.

89 goals in 179 games for Internacional doesn't seem to bad a record to me, as well as the five he scored in the London Olympics. He seems to be a player with good technical ability, is good with the ball at his feet and seems relatively strong. I think the £20m+ price tag that was floated about last year would have been way over the top for him, but if he has been out of form with Santos (although 5 goals in 15 games is better than Osvaldo managed for us) and not making the Brazil squad may mean that his stock is down and wouldn't cost as much.

I agree with those that are saying we need minimum two new strikers and a wide player as well. Pelle, Ings and Redmond would be welcome. We could use the loan route with J Rod's injury. Osvaldo will off in the next couple of weeks IMO but Mayuka's future needs sorting out - use him or lose him. Didn't set Ligue 1 on fire for Sochaux last year.

Gallagher is simply not yet good enough for the first team. Assuming Osvaldo and Sharp leave too, possibly Mayuka, it is essential we sign at least 2 strikers. Not overly convinced by Pelle, but seems that might not be on anymore. First preference would be Ings, but it's going to be difficult to bring in someone who can get 15 goals a season who will come to us

It has been widely reported that the negotiations for Pelle has stalled, confirming what Monk said. I think at this point we will not be seeing him at SMS. Is Sharp training with the first team squad? There's been no suggestions anywhere that we're shipping him out. Maybe RK sees something in him that we don't.

Is Pelle still in the running to join us? All gone very quiet now.

Gamesmanship over the fee IMO, just like with Lallana. Pelle will probably end up going on strike or something to that effect.

Re Sharp - he has to train with us because he is our player and it would be wholly unprofessional to stop him training. I would think he will almost certainly leave, because he isn't good enough. Be interesting to see how much he figures in the friendlies. Considering he wasn't even on the pre season tour last year, it would be a backward step IMO if he is brought back into the fold. Football is a ruthless game. He isn't good enough and unlike Gallagher, won't improve and doesn't have the raw ingredients to do so either.

I don't get the assumption that Gallagher is not good enough.

Looked decent at the end of the season, another pre-season under his belt.

If Koeman has faith in him as a first team option then I do too.

Would still like one, or two, strikers and a wide option (Redmond is top of my own list!)

Don't think the situation is as bad as many bros make out! Sam Gallagher - he is young but promise, he should be good for maybe 3 league goals next season. Osvaldo, Mayuka & Sharp if we don't replace them they will play and will prob get say 5 goals between them. Jay Rod is back in Jan, I reckon he might struggle initially but I think he could crack in as many as 4 goals by the end of season.

That makes 12 goals already!. If we win 12 games 1-0 then we will be pretty much safe, and that is without any goals from midfield, defence or goalkeepers!

Relax bros!

It has been widely reported that the negotiations for Pelle has stalled, confirming what Monk said. I think at this point we will not be seeing him at SMS. Is Sharp training with the first team squad? There's been no suggestions anywhere that we're shipping him out. Maybe RK sees something in him that we don't.

No RK does not see anything in Billy Sharp. He's contractually obliged to turn up to training that is where he is there not because RK think's he will do a job. He will be sold soon I would imagine or loaned out as he is miles off anyone's thoughts of being in the first team squad.

89 goals in 179 games for Internacional doesn't seem to bad a record to me, as well as the five he scored in the London Olympics. He seems to be a player with good technical ability, is good with the ball at his feet and seems relatively strong. I think the £20m+ price tag that was floated about last year would have been way over the top for him, but if he has been out of form with Santos (although 5 goals in 15 games is better than Osvaldo managed for us) and not making the Brazil squad may mean that his stock is down and wouldn't cost as much.

Brazil as a nation for producing good footballers has been in decline for about 10-15 years. The old story of greed and corruption taking away money from the game down there.

I have no problem with him getting bench time, being back up, some cup games. But he's a long way from what we need right now. Some game time will improve him, but relying on him might be detrimental to all parties.

I get where you are coming from. If we were going in with him as our main goal threat alarm bells would ring. I think he can get goals from the bench and could be a decent third choice striker. Somebody like Pelle at the better end of their career would hopefully provide us with the immediate goal threat while allowing Gallagher to develop and eventually take over the role himself.

Don't think the situation is as bad as many bros make out! Sam Gallagher - he is young but promise, he should be good for maybe 3 league goals next season. Osvaldo, Mayuka & Sharp if we don't replace them they will play and will prob get say 5 goals between them. Jay Rod is back in Jan, I reckon he might struggle initially but I think he could crack in as many as 4 goals by the end of season.

That makes 12 goals already!. If we win 12 games 1-0 then we will be pretty much safe, and that is without any goals from midfield, defence or goalkeepers!

Relax bros!

Absolutely. Spain won the last world cup by scoring 8 goals in total.

Germany spunked 7 away against Brasil the other night, which was a shocking waste, idiots. Clearly they will not win.

Add a two each from Davis, Reed and McQueen, plus a couple of headers from Fonte and that's 20 games won! Surely top 8 finish again!?

Aha. still sent from my effing nexus 4, but I have found the setting now dammit.

I don't get the assumption that Gallagher is not good enough.

Looked decent at the end of the season, another pre-season under his belt.

If Koeman has faith in him as a first team option then I do too.

Would still like one, or two, strikers and a wide option (Redmond is top of my own list!)

I thought he looked pretty poor TBH, reasonably quick and strong but no composure and is poor in the air or holding it up for a big lad.

I did see promise, but Id rather we sent him out to get some proper game time instead of just wasting him on the bench this year TBH

He is clearly not ready yet, get him playing some competetive games at a level below and see what happens

Last season was a long time ago - other young players have progressed massively in previous close seasons whilst others have come from nowhere to feature in the first team squad. I suggest we reserve judgement for after a few pre-season games.

Last season was a long time ago - other young players have progressed massively in previous close seasons whilst others have come from nowhere to feature in the first team squad. I suggest we reserve judgement for after a few pre-season games.

Sorry I would rather do my shopping when there are still things worth buying on the shelves.

Sorry I would rather do my shopping when there are still things worth buying on the shelves.

Oh so would I, and that's a separate discussion... ideally we'll get more people in soon. I just feel that young players can progress quite a bit in a short space of time, or even come from nowhere and whilst I'd agree with SS that on last seasons evidence, Gallagher was not quite ready, he might surprise us this pre-season.

Perhaps, and I really hope he does. Im just not one to overhype unless I genuinely see something and I dont think he is quite ready. Dont get me wrong, he has all the attributes to be a good player but as of the moment he isnt anywhere near ready unfortunately and feel he will make more progress at a team like Derby etc

Obviously yes it may be worth giving him preseason before sending him out, and no, we definately shouldnt hold back signings just in case IMO

if you go late on they send out sticker elves marking stuff down you can get some gr8 deals on meats and breads etc i understand i wouldn't know because i prefer to pay full price

Brian "king of the whoops label" Earsy.

Why is it every year you and others think you're being clever with this point?

Every club in the land would love to get all their business done ASAP. It's not some concerted effort to delay things, you're not telling them anything or making an actual point.

Banging on every summer about getting all signings done early is little different to saying 'we should sign the best players possible', or 'wouldn't it be nice if we were so good we didn't need signings'. Yep, we get it.

Nope nope nope. It is only Southampton FC that don't get all their deals done by June 20th. Or at the very least by the start of pre-season. FFS.

Just look at this, look at all the players everyone else has signed that we definitely should have signed.

We could have had J. Cole, Senderos, Snodgrass, Sidwell, Gomez etc. FFS Saints.

The club are clearly trying to bring players in but if clubs wont sell, players dont want to come here, prices are too high etc it isnt that straighforward. For example it seems as if we cant agree a price for Pelle so we are looking elsewhere. From what Reed said we have a team identifying targets so I guess it is a question of looking to see who is (or maybe becoming) available and whether we can get them or not. There was a post here the other day saying that many players hedge their bets to see if a bigger club is after them - all a part of the agents game. I am sure Koeman is no mug and will have a squad that suits him soon enough.

To be fair, its only SFC that have already sold our three England WC players and set to lose two more of our very best players, plus have our record signing gone AWOL.

Our needs arent the same as everyone elses.

We need to build a new attack in one month, from scratch and have so far brought in one very promising player, but there is certainly a urgent need for more.

Anyone who can't see that urgency is worse than the oft-labelled bed wetters.

It is not a question of not seeing the urgency. You seem to think that nothing is being done behind the scenes when very clearly it is. We are not the only club looking for quality players are sensible prices you know. You seem to have this negative agenda towards the Board. Would you still be posting countless times if Cortese were still here and the situation the same?

Check the transfer talk in the media, there arent many Prem clubs who are not looking to sign players right now. It is a busy market place. The club will know who they want and at what price. The fact that we have only signed one player so far doesnt mean that they are sitting on their hands, but that seems wha you want to believe.

It is not a question of not seeing the urgency. You seem to think that nothing is being done behind the scenes when very clearly it is. You seem to have this negative agenda towards the Board.

The second line of my OP says: "Clearly we will be signing forwards soon."

So how do you leap to the conclusion that I think we are doing nothing behind the scenes?

No negative agenda, just a post about our strikers that you have interpreted completely wrong.

I don't mind you disagreeing with my posts, but at least show you have read them, and don't talk for me.

The second line of my OP says: "Clearly we will be signing forwards soon."

So how do you leap to the conclusion that I think we are doing nothing behind the scenes?

No negative agenda, just a post about our strikers that you have interpreted completely wrong.

I don't mind you disagreeing with my posts, but at least show you have read them, and don't talk for me.

Go back and reread your post. You talk of "urgency" as if the Board are not worried about bringing in players in time. You and I do not run the club. They do and although your posts often give the impression that they dont know what they are doing, I think that they probably do. Frankly I would rather wait and get the right players in for the club than get some panic buys in (like the centre half that didnt play, remember?). If the Board had come out and said we arent buying anyone and will rely on the youth policy I would back yu up 100%. They hve clearly indicated their intent by emplying Koeman and giving him money to spend on rebuilding which is curently happening. It might not be happening quickly enough for your urgent needs but I am sure we will start the season with a decent squad.

Remember when van Wolfswinkel was feted as an early business masterstroke?

I dont get this get your business done early thing. Getting the right players on the right terms is what is important. Pardew was very shrewd in the market for us and that paid off big time. Since we have been in the Prem the signings havent always been so good. We cant afford to blow a lot of money on another Osvaldo. Koeman has a big task ahead and I would prefer he took his time and got it right than rush in and possibly make some mistakes.

That was last summer' date=' when Norwich and Swansea both won the summer transfer window.[/quote']

:D

Didn't seem to do Norwich the world of good.

I dont get this get your business done early thing. Getting the right players on the right terms is what is important. Pardew was very shrewd in the market for us and that paid off big time. Since we have been in the Prem the signings havent always been so good. We cant afford to blow a lot of money on another Osvaldo. Koeman has a big task ahead and I would prefer he took his time and got it right than rush in and possibly make some mistakes.

There is a lot of logic to doing your business early, but this isn't early. The likes of Diego Costa going to Chelsea is early; stable clubs with big squads, making long term plans with transfers that every man and his dog knows is going to happen.

Outside of that, it's not an exact science. The ripple effect drives a lot of the market; we're a case in point. We're presently seeking three, possibly five replacements ourselves. Some huge club may decide to splash the cash on players, making existing talent available. Probably worth having a bit of cash around to take advantage of those opportunities.

:D

Didn't seem to do Norwich the world of good.

There is a lot of logic to doing your business early, but this isn't early. The likes of Diego Costa going to Chelsea is early; stable clubs with big squads, making long term plans with transfers that every man and his dog knows is going to happen.

Outside of that, it's not an exact science. The ripple effect drives a lot of the market; we're a case in point. We're presently seeking three, possibly five replacements ourselves. Some huge club may decide to splash the cash on players, making existing talent available. Probably worth having a bit of cash around to take advantage of those opportunities.

God pap you are so clueless. The board are sat around with their fingers in their bums/on holiday/asset stripping.

Other clubs transfers/world cups/changing manager has no impact on incoming transfers.

God pap you are so clueless. The board are sat around with their fingers in their bums/on holiday/asset stripping.

Other clubs transfers/world cups/changing manager has no impact on incoming transfers.

I know. Nutter, innit. Fecking hatstand.

Wibble.

Remember when van Wolfswinkel was feted as an early business masterstroke?

This would mainly be our old mate Barry Sanchez, berating us for our inaction when Norwich were signing the likes of Wolf's Winky. I wonder which club and which players he would be citing currently to illustrate our total lack of ambition?