Billy Sharp

Firead

Hes a poacher and will/could score goals in any team or league. He would have been perfect coming off the bench for last 15-20 during some games last season. Particularly when we had Guly coming on to save us :?

As a regular starter and confident he would score goals for any team.

Perhaps Villa will take him? They are making some rather odd purchases this summer

Hes a poacher and will/could score goals in any team or league. He would have been perfect coming off the bench for last 15-20 during some games last season. Particularly when we had Guly coming on to save us :?

As a regular starter and confident he would score goals for any team.

Perhaps Villa will take him? They are making some rather odd purchases this summer

Yep. totally have to agree with this as his time out on loan proved............

Oh

But put quality players around him? He could be an effective finisher.

I'm surprised we're planning/open to playing with a poacher (Hernandez), but if we want one we could and should buy someone much better than Billy Sharp.

I mean, he's been training with quality players here when he hasn't been on loan, and he still doesn't get near the matchday squad.

I still find it odd he's never been given a premier league shot by anyone, his goal scoring record in the championship is excellent when he's been established at a club. He's a goal mouth poacher and a natural finisher so I think he'd get a few at the top level he just brings very little else to the table an English rasiac if you like and he never quite cut it at the top. The premiership is a huge step up for strikers you only have to look at people like nugent and earnshaw who have scored for fun in the championship and failed miserably at the next level.

I think there are a lot of people who may eat their words on this thread. Once a season....someone comes good. Sharp is in his prime and appears hungry to impress.

Billy Sharp. Could well be the surprise package. Go Billy. Prove the doubters you're as good as your potential says you are. This is your season.

I think there are a lot of people who may eat their words on this thread. Once a season....someone comes good. Sharp is in his prime and appears hungry to impress.

Billy Sharp. Could well be the surprise package. Go Billy. Prove the doubters you're as good as your potential says you are. This is your season.

How much are you willing to bet he wont play 10 games

Sorry Robbie cant agree with that. Championship striker at best look what he did at Sheff Utd

If Billy Sharp was good enough for the league, then why have both of the managers who have had the chance to select him decided against doing so and subsequently loaned him out all season? Two years in a row?

He is not a Premiership striker. He doesn't possess much technical ability or pace and I don't remember seeing much industry from him in the Championship. Koeman today suggested he will deploy a 4-3-3 formation next year, and I would imagine that means Jay Rod and Tadíc will be flanking a target man like Pellé in the middle with a back up striker on the bench who has more to their game than just poaching scruffy goals. Sharp is too small to be a target man, not good enough to hold up play on his own for a whole game and even though he might get a couple of goals if he were to play a lot of game, I feel he would be taking up a space on the pitch that there are much better candidates for.

If Sharp gets on the pitch this year, I will seriously worry about the depth of our squad. Billy Sharp is the workingmans Adam Le Fondre, and even Le Fondre isn't that good.

Sorry Robbie cant agree with that. Championship striker at best look what he did at Sheff Utd

You might be right.... But I'd rather him than Gallagher, who I'd be sending to a Championship club on loan to prove himself.

Sharp is proven there.... Gallagher is yet to prove himself.

Depends who we sign.

Sharp or Gallagher on the bench? No brainer... A hungry experienced terrier every time. BILLY SHARP.

This negative thread was the same as the one that Feyanord (can't spell) put on their fans forum when they signed the rubbish Pelle.

Sharp is younger. Sharp has his final chance.

You might be right.... But I'd rather him than Gallagher, who I'd be sending to a Championship club on loan to prove himself.

Sharp is proven there.... Gallagher is yet to prove himself.

Anyone fancy a game of "whose got a crush on Billy Sharp"?

Anyone fancy a game of "whose got a crush on Billy Sharp"?

Don't have a crush, just hope to build his confidence enough to see him fight to prove himself. I'm a fan and we have something in Sharp that has never matured ... until now. Up to him, not me. But until he shows he's not fit to wear the stripes then I am prepared to give him a chance.

Don't have a crush, just hope to build his confidence enough to see him fight to prove himself. I'm a fan and we have something in Sharp that has never matured ... until now. Up to him, not me. But until he shows he's not fit to wear the stripes then I am prepared to give him a chance.

He probably isn't readying this, so I doubt this thread will have any bearing on his confidence - and if he were reading, the reviews haven't exactly been good for him!

I don't understand that "never matured" sentiment, what does that mean?

We signed him to do a job and he did it, and then once that job was done and we were in the Premier League we no longer needed him and our style of play has developed such that he no longer fits into our team. As I said above, the fact that two good managers have decided that he isn't good enough to play in the Premier League and subsequently loaned him out all season suggests to me that these people who know what they're doing (more than any of us lot) don't think he is good enough either.

Robbie I know he is a nice guy and what happened to his kid is a tragedy just think that in the end has drained whatever he had. Will never be prem sorry IMO

Was Guly really a better choice than Billy Sharp last season? Guly in the Prem over 2 seasons - 27 appearances, 846 minutes, 0 goals, 2 assists.

Anyway, looking at the squad, Gallagher is young enough to play without taking up a spot in the 25 (well, I think that is how it works). Not sure whether Mayuka at 23 is the same, but unless he can, then I would get rid of rather than take a squad place up. He scored a couple of good goals last season but not enough. Osvaldo is off I hope.

So Sharp, at present is needed as he appears to be our number 1 striker what with JRod sidelined. I would rather him than Osvaldo, Mayuka and Gallagher. But at 28, if someone offered some money for him, I would sell with 1 year left. This will of course change depending on the number of strikers that come. If it's just Pelle, then I think we would need to keep him. If Pelle and another, say, Ings, then I think Gallagher would be better cover.

Personally I've not seen enough of him to have an opinion.

Thought he looked unfit in his championship season with us, despite scoring all those goals.

Seem to remember reports at the time stating he wasn't up to the fitness standard expected at Saints

For me his build doesn't look conducive to being a premier league footballer, his asset is clearly his strength when I think the premier league requires better mobility, however that's not to say he can't be a success and he'd earned his right for an opportunity in our first season.

I think he was treated appallingly by the club, I know football is a harsh business and there's no room for sentiment but he moved his young family down here at a very tough time in their life personally after losing a child. After the goals he scored to get us into the premier league the club seemed to just cast him aside.

Everyone deserved the opportunity to have a shot in the premier league, now unfortunately 2 seasons later everyone's expectations are considerably higher than they were in our first season, where survival was seen as an achievement. I'm sure he'd be the unwitting scapegoat if after being given his opportunity he had scored very little come Christmas time or worse still not scored at all.

If he is given the chance I will give him my backing 100%

He's been given plenty of chances in the Championship and has been found severely wanting over the last two years.

Shouldn't be anywhere near our squad.

Again spot on. He even struggled to get into Doncaster's first team at the end of last season. He is nowhere near good enough for the premiership. Sheffield United bound I reckon.

Last season if MP bad ever taken off Jay Rod, Lambert or Lallana to bring Sharp on then it would have been the most bizarre incident at SMS since the Puncheon poo episode.

Hence why the "he could come off the bench for 15mins" stuff is rubbish. It would be a terrible sub and would lessen our chances of winning.

Nice lad etc, IMO Sheff Utd would be a cracking move for him, but since joining us his wages will probably have priced him out of most moves.

Like many I am not sure about Sharp.

He is probably an excellent League 1 player, because the requirements suit his level of play and his attributes. However, Sharp could come off the bench and nick the odd goal for us in the Premier League, but I would be disappointed if he was one of our main strikers.